Upland Boots what do you use ???

mobeasto123

Upland Boots what do you use ???

Post by mobeasto123 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:31 am

Hi guys, Looking around to choose a good but not to pricey pair of boots for Mainly be use in upland hunting ( ruffies and Woodcock)and also training in the wood. Was looking into Cabelas Kangaroo Featherweight Upland boots Great price and review . But you which boots are you using ??? Also I'm hesitating between insulated and not.. I would like to use them in the summer when training/walking my dog in the wood But would like to keep them to hunt till december and walk in the snow.. What would be your choice..

Thanks.
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

Winchey

Re: Upland Boots what do you use ???

Post by Winchey » Wed May 18, 2011 7:35 am

Muck Boots

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed May 18, 2011 7:55 am

I like my Irish Setter 12" Elk tracker, with 200grams of insulation. for me the insulation adds a little padding and makes near all conditions down to 20 degrees or so a one sock deal. Got them at Gander Mountain some 4 or 5 years ago I have pretty much worn off the treads but. other than that they are very good boots. First for in 30 years I would ever recomend.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed May 18, 2011 8:00 am

Love my Danners. I like insulated too, but I always have cold feet and would rather wear rubber boots or something else in the summer.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed May 18, 2011 8:33 am

I got some 1000 grain thinsulate 8 inch tall waterproof hunting boots from cabelas. They are 8 years old and I am thinking on a new pair. I have seen them for 69.00. I tried them all on and these fit me best. Fit and comfort are more important than price cause if ya cant walk you cant hunt. Arch is key and a good tread.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:41 am

markj wrote:I got some 1000 grain thinsulate 8 inch tall waterproof hunting boots from cabelas. They are 8 years old and I am thinking on a new pair. I have seen them for 69.00. I tried them all on and these fit me best. Fit and comfort are more important than price cause if ya cant walk you cant hunt. Arch is key and a good tread.
I have some Rocky 1000 gm boots but those are strictly for deer stand hunting. Too cumbersome and way too warm to do much walking. @00 sounds about perfect for walking. I have used them up to 400 for late hunting but even those can get pretty warm if you are real active before it gets cold. The ones I have now are Browning but I have bought all of my boots from Sportsman Guide whenthey ar eon sale and I am yet to get a bad pair if you stay with the name brands.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed May 18, 2011 8:42 am

Ll bean technical upland. One season down, no complaints.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Wed May 18, 2011 9:09 am

Used muck boots for years, then broke my ankle beginning of last season while using them.
The wife got me some Meindl Dovre Extreame GTX Hunting Boots and i finished off the season using them, they have excellent support, fully gortex lined and very warm (so winter hunting only i would say), a lot of fell hunters use them here in the UK, spot on for rugged all train hunting.

ATB
Dave.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed May 18, 2011 9:19 am

RoostersMom wrote:Love my Danners. I like insulated too, but I always have cold feet and would rather wear rubber boots or something else in the summer.
One day I was pondering the boot question just like you. I asked God for a sign and the clouds parted and spelled out "DANNER" - I ran into the house and ordered my Danner Pronghorn 8" GPX Camohide's.. One of the best hunting related purchases I've made ever. I was out hunting opening weekend, and at around 3-4pm that afternoon I had a revelation. "My feet don't hurt!" - I hadn't thought about my feet / arches all day long.

Wonderful, wonderful investment. :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Wed May 18, 2011 9:25 am

Danner Grouse non insulated. A little heavy but will last along time. I wear the same style for work, same boots for 15+years
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:28 am

I wear a pair of Tony Lama Cowboy boots............Everyday :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Wed May 18, 2011 9:30 am

Now these ain't cheap and they are only "Water resistant" which I make waterproof with sealskinz socks but I have zero complaints,for use as dog training and hunting only boots I'm going out on a limb and say they would last 10+ years.I wear mine 365 days a year because of work and the fact they are so comfortable,like wearing romeo slippers. White's Smokejumpers.I've gotten three years out of each rebuild on them,As a construction welder the job is pretty tough on them.They are heavy but if you wear em enough you get leg strength,you can sell your ankle weights at the next garage sale :lol: .Since they are designed for wildland firefighting climbing hills seems effortless as well as sidehilling and going downhill.I used to wear danners but would only get 1 year out of a pair.The Whites flat out fit you as they are made for your feet, not a "fits all off the shelf" model.I've had em about 12 years now,rebuilt them 4 times.

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Wed May 18, 2011 11:29 am

Russell's moccasins but they are pricey! I have had mine 10 yrs and the sole is starting to peel at a corner so I will send them back and get it fixed. Love the boot and IMO is the best out there.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed May 18, 2011 12:13 pm

and the clouds parted and
I had a similiar event last saturday :) wasnt God tho.......

I would go to a good store carries all brands and try as many on as possible.

I have a pair of artic buny boots I wear when it gets way below zero... made in 1971 :) still wearing em.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed May 18, 2011 1:19 pm

Right now I'm using the desert tfx from danner I think. Super light weight and can wear them all day without an issue.

The danner pronghorns are also nice and had no complaints but decided I wanted another pair and went with the desert boots.

I have had 6 pairs of danner boots in the last five years and only had an issue with a new model with rubber on the toe. Hunted desert mule deer for 30+ days that season and I made those boots look like trash from all the lava rock I was climbing every day. Called danner and they sent me a new pair of boots that cost more for free. Can't beat that.

Next pair will be made to specs but those are 3-400 and a different company. Can't put a.price on good boots though.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Wed May 18, 2011 1:38 pm

use to live and hunt in Vermont, all along the canadian border. I would be partial to Muck Boots in that area, at least the kinds of areas that I hunted in.

I now live out west and use a pair of Miendl's alaskan hunter, that they make for cabelas.

But really with boots, I think it is very important to try them on, so that means putting in a little time on travel to find the right pair. always found it hard to order boots from on line.

brandon

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed May 18, 2011 2:24 pm

So far the best I have found have been from Irish Setter...I'm tough on boots and I was buying boots every year...I have two pair of IS boots that will start their 4th year. The only others that may be better are my Ecco boots...they have been indestructible...but they're no really made for bird hunting.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed May 18, 2011 2:42 pm

I have a pair of Danners that were giving to me when I was 17 and I still use them for upland hunting, keep them oiled and they will last forever ! I have a couple newer pairs as well and I wear muck boots for deer and waterfowl hunting but as Dave stated they don't give much support so I only wear them for still hunting or short treks in water

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Wed May 18, 2011 4:51 pm

Danner Pronghorns, uninsulated. They are worn by all the Chukar hunters I know.
Tom

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed May 18, 2011 5:03 pm

I wear a pair of uninsulated Irish setter upland boots as my go to pair of boots they are in going into their 4th season and holding up well. I hunt a variety of terrain from CRP, bean stubble and cornstalks to thick briars and river bottoms jungle. This pair of boots has treated me well. I picked up a pair of Danner Sharptails this spring also uninsulated, and they seem to be a good boot too. they are a little heavier than the Irish Setters but I think theyll make a good pair of boots once they get broke in.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Wed May 18, 2011 5:22 pm

I have a pair of Vasque backpacking boots. Waterproof and made for hiking long distances so they are VERY comfortable. Keep my feet dry unless I get caught in a snow squall and end up trekking through 12" of fresh snow falling down the boots (happened last season! :evil: ) I have a pair of 800 G for when it's colder or when I'm expecting snow.

Bill

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed May 18, 2011 5:46 pm

I am happy with my Irish Setters but there are several good brands to choose from. One thing I have learned though, is to not worry too much about the price when it comes to your feet!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed May 18, 2011 6:14 pm

birddogger wrote:I am happy with my Irish Setters but there are several good brands to choose from. One thing I have learned though, is to not worry too much about the price when it comes to your feet!!

Charlie
After 6 yrs in the Infantry I can say charlie is right a comfortable pair of boots are worth there weight in gold ! good socks will also help !

Quill Gordon

Post by Quill Gordon » Wed May 18, 2011 6:58 pm

I wear a pair of Tony Lama Cowboy boots............Everyday
My gawd, there is two of us 8)

ISAYWHOANOW

Post by ISAYWHOANOW » Wed May 18, 2011 7:11 pm

I just put the beet down on a pair of kennetreks in 6 months. (Mountain extremes 400gr.) The sole and everything was gone. I paid $400 for them. they back there products. I am getting them back from the factory tomorrow. No small investment for me either. I told them to market a chukar hunting boat seens how the ram hunters love them???? Ram hunters and chukars hunters obviously hunt the same country but they must spend alot of time behind glass and not putting the miles on like us chukar hunters. (go figure?)

Ryan.

Has anyone seen my dog??? (I've lost him on the garmin!!!! :mrgreen: )

wills1235

Post by wills1235 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:11 am

Get the best quality in your budget, but most important make sure they fit! I love Red Wing work boots, so I decided to get a pair of Irish Setters for hunting. Tried on about 15 pairs and none of them fit, but I came really close to buying them anyhow. Long story longer, I tried on a pair of Danners which fit perfectly, and I'm quite happy with them. Point is it's not about the brand (if you're buying a high quality boot), it's about how the boot fits YOUR foot. Try on lots and buy one you like. I go with 400 gram thinsulate, not too hot in late spring or early fall, warm enough for January.
The best place to hunt is where the birds are. Next best is where they ain't. Anywhere else works too.

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:44 am

Thanks guys , I'll take your advices but the only problem Is that I live in a small town where there a no sports store the only thing we got is Wal-mart and Canadian Tire.. So to try some boots I'll have to take a trip about 5 hours from here.. Hope they have a lot of them in stock..
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

Firemedic

Post by Firemedic » Thu May 19, 2011 5:48 am

Troy08er wrote:Danner Grouse non insulated. A little heavy but will last along time. I wear the same style for work, same boots for 15+years
Couldn't agree more. I also wear nothing but Danner at work. I own 11 pair of Danner boots. All are the Acadia, Grouse and I just bought a pair of the Hood light, same design as the Acadia, but they are brown and all leather insulated. Lately I have been wearing Keen for trialing.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu May 19, 2011 5:54 am

Got my first pair of decent boots last July as a birthday gift. Up until that point I had only worn cheapo boots and WOW what a difference! I wish I would've invested in good boots long ago. I ended up getting Danner Pronghorn 400 grms. So far they have been great, no complaints. I wear them for everything; summer dog training, upland birding, muzzleloading, and ice fishing.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:18 am

Irish Setter 9" wingshooter, not what I was hoping for, after a full year not broke in yet , still stiff. Last boots were Cabelas upland chukkas, very comfy, but Gore Tex leaked weeks after I bought them.

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Thu May 19, 2011 6:41 am

I hiked the Appalachian Trail last year from Ga. to Maine, roughly 2200 miles. went through 4 pairs of boots during the 6 month hike. Best pair was by far was a pair made by asolo, i got 900 miles out of them and tread and stitching were still in reasonable shape when I replaced them.would highly recommend them but everyone's foot is different. A tip that you hopefully will find useful, most manufacturers put really cheap insoles in their boots (thin piece of fabric over cardboard?!?). Go to a boot/shoe/outdoor store and replace them with a nice pair of superfeet, spenco or equivalent insert. It makes a big difference at the end of the day if you are doing a lot of walking.

In Connecticut, my soles were being held to my uppers with duct tape while I was trying to get somewhere that sold boots. A young man who was out for a day hike, told me to get Timberlands or similar because he "had his for 7 years" and they were still as good as new. I asked him how many miles he had on them and he didn't know. told him boots were like tires, they lasted longer in the garage or closet. :wink:

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Thu May 19, 2011 7:25 am

Dave C wrote:Used muck boots for years, then broke my ankle beginning of last season while using them.
The wife got me some Meindl Dovre Extreame GTX Hunting Boots and i finished off the season using them, they have excellent support, fully gortex lined and very warm (so winter hunting only i would say), a lot of fell hunters use them here in the UK, spot on for rugged all train hunting.

ATB
Dave.
Pic of mine when they were new.

Dave.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Thu May 19, 2011 10:02 am

By the best boots that you can afford that fit the habitat you hunt........

I live in Oregon on the dry side, i spend alot of time chasing chukars and huns as well as pheasants and quail, alot of steeper country, lots of rocks. Dry ground 90% of the time. And i do alot of walking on each hunt.....
After years of burning through irish setters,danners,rockies etc buying a new pair every year i was fed up.....I was elk hunting three years ago with a buddy who is a big time trekker/back packer. He does more walking in tough country then anyone i know. I asked him about boots, he said to look at trekking boots and recommended three names, Kennetrek,Zamberlain and Lowa.....
I have now owned a pair of Lowa Rangers for 3 years and they look like they have at least another couple years in them. Best boot i have ever owned period. Now having said that they may be more boot then alot of people need, but they serve me perfectly...If your a chukar hunter especially i would recommend something along these lines, something actually designed for the country we hunt.

gdog

Post by gdog » Thu May 19, 2011 11:00 am

Lowa....but as stated by the previous poster...probably over kill for your needs. I've had a handful of Danner boots and they just don't hold up in the Chukar Mnts out here....

JL Autoloader

Post by JL Autoloader » Thu May 19, 2011 1:53 pm

I use Wolverine Moc-Toe Wedge-Heel 6" Work Boots, they cost $100+/- and I can get them from most good western or feed stores. They last at least a couple of years, feel good on my feet, lace boots are needed for me so that I can loosen/tighten as arthritis comes and goes. I have always wondered what a pair of $400 or $500 boots would feel like but then think of using that money to go hunting instead; just the way retirees have to think.
Regards,
Jim

buckshot0074

Post by buckshot0074 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:12 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:I like my Irish Setter 12" Elk tracker, with 200grams of insulation. for me the insulation adds a little padding and makes near all conditions down to 20 degrees or so a one sock deal. Got them at Gander Mountain some 4 or 5 years ago I have pretty much worn off the treads but. other than that they are very good boots. First for in 30 years I would ever recomend.
Exactly the boots I have, though mine are 2 years old

Deets

Post by Deets » Thu May 26, 2011 8:54 pm

Cowboy boots, and Coors Light.................Now your my kind of hunting buddy

Quill Gordon wrote:
I wear a pair of Tony Lama Cowboy boots............Everyday
My gawd, there is two of us 8)