Frustrated or accomplished?......

bkidd79

Frustrated or accomplished?......

Post by bkidd79 » Wed May 18, 2011 7:57 am

So about 6 weeks ago I bought 4 ducklings to raise and then use to train. I had them under a heat lamp for 4 weeks. They have been outside in a pen for two weeks. My dog has been very interested in them but has only had contact with them while I was around and as much as he wanted to, he would obey and not "get them". The are in a chain link fenced in area inside my privacy fenced in yard. When I would go and feed them he would end up jumping the fence as to be with me. He never bothered the ducks, or jumped the fence if I wasnt in there.

I am sure you know where I am going with this now....

I came home yesterday to 3 dead ducks and 1 almost dead duck. I went to check on them before going in the house, and only 1 was there. Scotch heard me in the fence and came running, jumping over the fence to greet me. I went looking for the other three not knowing thier fate. I went into the main area of the yard and Scotch promtly and proudly, retrieved and heeled with duck body in mouth. I was not happy. After taking the duck from him and sending him on 2 more blind (to me) retrieves, I had 3 dead ducks. Bodies perfectly in tact other than a few missing feathers. No puntcure wounds. I think he just played with them til they died, then went and got himself a new one, repeat.

This also means he jumped the fence with them in his mouth, hence the dilema. I got the ducks so that he would learn to retrieve ducks (i.e. smell, taste, texture) after him not wanting to retrieve a duck late last season. After yesterdays fiasco, I think I am confident enough to say he now will. I really felt like I should have punished him for doing what he did, but I dont know if it was my own frustration getting the better of me. He did what I have trained him to do, get to the birds and bring them to me without damaging them. I created this monster, lol.
Tell me what you think

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Frustrated or accomplished?......

Post by RoostersMom » Wed May 18, 2011 8:04 am

I wouldn't let my dog out by himself unless being supervised. This was bound to happen in that case. If mine is unsupervised, he brings back quail chicks, baby rabbits, etc. I figure they only get into trouble if not being supervised, even in a fenced yard, but that's just my opinion. I've lost several chickens around here as a result of dogs going over a 5 foot fence, so we don't do unsupervised yard exercise. Most of the time they just lay out in the sun anyway - it only makes me feel better to let them out - it doesn't do much for them - at least not much different than them being in a secure kennel.

bkidd79

Post by bkidd79 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:07 am

I have several dogs, and I have always let them out during the day to play and relax at will. Never had any problems till now. I have also never owned a dog this smart before, lol

hunterw/newhobby

Post by hunterw/newhobby » Wed May 18, 2011 8:09 am

Sounds like the dog didn't do anything wrong to me. It seems the pooch was getting mixed signals from the human. I'd be happy with the retrieves and use it as a teachable moment for myself (higher fencing, supervision, etc.). Good news is a) you have a nice dinner, and b) you have a dog that loves to play with birds.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed May 18, 2011 8:26 am

proudly, retrieved and heeled with duck body in mouth
And you say good dog, good dog. He did his job. Now get some peking duck cooking :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed May 18, 2011 8:33 am

You accomplished a self rewarding poultry killer. No sense punishing him since you arrived after the fact. I would have never let him jump on the fence in the first place.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

bkidd79

Post by bkidd79 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:40 am

Cajun Casey wrote:I would have never let him jump on the fence in the first place.
Agreed, As an inexperienced trainer I was thinking I didnt want to dampen his spirit or whatever the right word is there. Hind sight is 20/20

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed May 18, 2011 8:49 am

bkidd79 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:I would have never let him jump on the fence in the first place.
Agreed, As an inexperienced trainer I was thinking I didnt want to dampen his spirit or whatever the right word is there. Hind sight is 20/20
A lot of dogs get to act unmannerly on birds to build drive. The goal then becomes getting a handle on the dog without them softening up. Scotch at least retained the training to relinquish the ducks to you in order. I'd consider it an expensive proofing exercise and make sure it doesn't happen again.

If it makes you feel better, I have a self-taught bunny toter. One of my little females persists in bringing up baby rabbits, which invariably die of shock because they are the perfect size to lodge in the top of her mouth.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed May 18, 2011 9:32 am

I don't think there is any point in disciplining a dog for an infraction, unless you are on the spot when it happens.

If you yell at the dog 20 minutes after it happens , he may hang his head. He is not doing this because he has been caught . He is doing because he is picking up anger in your voice. He has no idea what you are mad about.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bkidd79

Post by bkidd79 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:04 am

Sharon wrote:I don't think there is any point in disciplining a dog for an infraction, unless you are on the spot when it happens.

If you yell at the dog 20 minutes after it happens , he may hang his head. He is not doing this because he has been caught . He is doing because he is picking up anger in your voice. He has no idea what you are mad about.
Which is why I didn't dicipline him. I was not happy with him but he was as proud as can be. And what was I going to do. Hold a duck in my hand that he brought to me and say bad dog? lol Talk about confusing him lol