Moving to Colorado

isonychia

Moving to Colorado

Post by isonychia » Fri May 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Just got a job in De Beque, CO, 45 minutes north of Grand Junction. Anyone from around here? I'll be there in about 3 weeks. Wonder what the bird action will be like.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Moving to Colorado

Post by mcbosco » Fri May 20, 2011 1:45 pm

That is right in the Piceance Basin. Are you drilling for gas there? I am told the area is good for Blue Grouse.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Fri May 20, 2011 1:51 pm

Just north of Grand Junction used to be some great chukar hunting. I mean really great.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Fri May 20, 2011 4:03 pm

mcbosco wrote:That is right in the Piceance Basin. Are you drilling for gas there? I am told the area is good for Blue Grouse.
Nope not drilling for gas. I am working on some research with trophic cascades: grey wolves, elk, and aspen primarily.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Sat May 21, 2011 8:02 pm

I'd be careful about mentioning grey wolves in that part of CO, mostly big ranch country!!! :P

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Sat May 21, 2011 10:25 pm

don't know much about that area of co. But west of there in Utah you can get into some decent blue and ruff grouse. also some parts of so. ut you can get into some quail. probably north of there, near wy, you could get into some sage grouse. there is a sage grouse draw area in utah not far from 70.

good luck,
brandon

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sun May 22, 2011 7:59 am

How important is snake avoidance training in this area? Does Grand Junction have any resources for this or any workshops?

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Sun May 22, 2011 7:01 pm

bwjohn wrote:don't know much about that area of co. But west of there in Utah you can get into some decent blue and ruff grouse. also some parts of so. ut you can get into some quail. probably north of there, near wy, you could get into some sage grouse. there is a sage grouse draw area in utah not far from 70.

good luck,
brandon
He will actually be just south of some fairly decent sage grouse country in NW CO......also miles upon miles of BLM land (public land)....

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Sun May 22, 2011 7:04 pm

isonychia wrote:How important is snake avoidance training in this area? Does Grand Junction have any resources for this or any workshops?
Don't know much about the availability of snake avoidance clinics in GJ, but anywhere in CO below 10,000' should be treated as potential rattlesnake habitat.