pointing

Sparrowhawker

pointing

Post by Sparrowhawker » Mon May 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Please can someone advise on the cross of springer and pointer pups for pointing. Both parents work. Thanks

markj
GDF Junkie

Re: pointing

Post by markj » Mon May 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Dont do it. May not get what you wantand end up wit ha litter of unwanted dogs. IMHO take it for what ya paid for it :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon May 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Are you considering getting one from an existing litter? I don't think you'd have a problem with it hunting, although deciding if it was a flusher or not would be the question. The hair would be easier than a springer, for sure.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon May 23, 2011 2:29 pm

So, did the male springer get into the female pointer's kennel or vice versa?

Why would you want to do this, you will have no way of predicting whether the pups will point or not. And some of the might and others might not.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:38 pm

Sounds to me like he is asking because there are some advailable or will be and not that he is trying to breed them

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:43 pm

...I dunno, his profile says he owns one of each...

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Mon May 23, 2011 3:09 pm

You could get a big running flusher that doesn't retrieve or a close working pointer with lots of natural retrieve. Or any combination thereof. Post some pictures if you actually have a spanoiter please.

Sparrowhawker

Post by Sparrowhawker » Tue May 24, 2011 4:31 am

Has anyone owned and worked one and how did it turn out? Helpful answers only please

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:29 am

Sparrowhawker wrote:Has anyone owned and worked one and how did it turn out? Helpful answers only please
Like any cross bred dog everyone is different and how mine turned out will have absolutely nothing to do with how another one turned out. That is why there are breeds so we have an idea what the pups will turn out to be and how they will act.

I understand your question but there is no answer that will mean a thing on how another one will look, act, or respond in the field.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Tue May 24, 2011 9:19 am

There is a few about here in the UK, the GWP x Springer is the most popular.
The few that i have seen have looked like small GWP's, hunt close in, hit thick cover very hard but i have never seen any point.
They are quite a smart little dog and I liked them and for anyone looking for a dog to hunt cover keenly you wont go far wrong, good retrievers too, but as with any cross you have no guarantees, but if pointing is the main thing you want these dogs for, i personally don't think its worth the gamble (but each to there own).

ATB
Dave.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue May 24, 2011 10:25 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Sparrowhawker wrote:Has anyone owned and worked one and how did it turn out? Helpful answers only please
Like any cross bred dog everyone is different and how mine turned out will have absolutely nothing to do with how another one turned out. That is why there are breeds so we have an idea what the pups will turn out to be and how they will act.

I understand your question but there is no answer that will mean a thing on how another one will look, act, or respond in the field.

Ezzy
x2

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue May 24, 2011 10:26 am

Has anyone owned and worked one and how did it turn out? Helpful answers only please
So how is it not helpful to tell you to stay away from this "opportunity." Breeding quality hunting dogs is harder than it might seem. Lots of things can go wrong, even when you are breeding like kind to like kind, and known quantity to known quantity. It becomes much more difficult if you are doing a "mix and match" breeding, to see what you might get. Such things were done decades ago to develop the current pointing breeds, but the times were different and the breeders knew that they would have to cull heavily to get one or two pups that carried the characteristics they wanted. "Cull" means putting down pups that don't have what you are looking for, or that have genetic defects. So are you, or is this breeder, prepared to do that for a few generations? Or is this just a guess that if you stick a pointer and a springer together the pups will be springers that point? Frankly, you have no idea that is what you will get. You might get pointers that flush. Or flushers that run like a pointer. In all likelihood you will get every one of these iterations (and more) in the litter.