Recall pen

gsps4evr

Recall pen

Post by gsps4evr » Fri May 27, 2011 8:07 pm

I've picked up a dozen quail and thought about using a recall pen. I was looking at the one that LCS has on there website the sheltered one. Just wondering if anyone has one or a similar one and how it works out for you. Any pros and cons would be appreciated.

gittrdonebritts

Re: Recall pen

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri May 27, 2011 8:20 pm

Just build a Johnny House that way you can easily customize it they way you want to and I'd say you probably should have done so before you picked up the quail, I like to make mine fly up to feed drink and look outside and I also keep the cocks separated from the Hens this time of year, other wise they might try and pair up and take off, right now I only let the cocks out for training and leave the hens in.

larry

Post by larry » Sat May 28, 2011 5:01 am

I second the recomendation on a Johny House. Wire and ledge around the top so birds fly up to see out. This gives your birds plenty of exersize, My first quail pen was similar to what LCS shows, I had to let my birds out several times a week and flush them so they would get some excersize, with a johny house that is not needed and your birds will be strong flyers.

mudpuppy1299

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:41 am

I have been contemplating whether to build a johnny house or use a recall pen as well. I don't have enough property to train on, but I can use State Land that is about 1 mile from my house. Will quail recall to a johnny house that is a one to two miles away? If not, I was just going to use a recall pen on the State Land. I've spoken with the DNR and they said it was o.k. It would be nice to have them recall right back to my house though. Any thoughts?

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sat May 28, 2011 9:23 am

I have the LCS Quail Condo.It'll only hold eight birds comfortably.Probably all you need if you only have one dog.Then again as stated a johnny house keeps your birds flight conditioned.May also depend on how much land you have to work your dog(s)
Here where I live(Md.)you can't use a call pen or johnny house on State land(sucks)
Dog On Point!!

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sat May 28, 2011 10:59 am

mudpuppy1299 wrote:I have been contemplating whether to build a johnny house or use a recall pen as well. I don't have enough property to train on, but I can use State Land that is about 1 mile from my house. Will quail recall to a johnny house that is a one to two miles away? If not, I was just going to use a recall pen on the State Land. I've spoken with the DNR and they said it was o.k. It would be nice to have them recall right back to my house though. Any thoughts?
The quail will not recall 2 miles back to your jonny house at home. What ever you call them back into has to be within hearing distance of the calling bird in the recall pen( keep your best calling bird to be put in the recall cage---if you don't have a bird that calls in your cage, they won't come back!!)

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:29 pm

I have an old creative sports supply call back cage. It works well. Its about the same as the LCS call back.

If your going to leave it out overnight then you will want to stake it down and make sure any doors latch really well. I put a little food bowl in the corner as an extra enticement. You can also put a temporary fence up around it with 2"x 4" mesh to try and deter predators, northern bobs can squeeze right thru.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Sat May 28, 2011 1:12 pm

I was just thinking of the recall pen for being a little more portible for going to different properties. I do have a johnny house that I put them in at home just a pita to move built it to dang heavy for one person to move. I can get a few people to move it this weekend so I'll go that route instead since I didn't really know that the recall pens dampen there flying. How long do usually keep them in the house till you let them out the first time?

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sat May 28, 2011 1:34 pm

gsps4evr wrote:I was just thinking of the recall pen for being a little more portible for going to different properties. I do have a johnny house that I put them in at home just a pita to move built it to dang heavy for one person to move. I can get a few people to move it this weekend so I'll go that route instead since I didn't really know that the recall pens dampen there flying. How long do usually keep them in the house till you let them out the first time?
since I'm really cheap and want to keep as many as possible I wait 3-4 weeks then start letting them out and another 2 or more weeks till I work dogs on them.

Fester

Post by Fester » Sun May 29, 2011 8:31 am

I've had good luck with a Johnny house but I let the birds fly out of it instead of releasing them I start letting some of them out everyday for a week before I mess with them, by 2 weeks they are getting out some distance, also if you let them out in the afternoon they are likely to spend the night out and lose a few, they seem to be a delicacy to cats
Fester