Tick War is On! Questions

leeave96

Tick War is On! Questions

Post by leeave96 » Sun May 29, 2011 8:36 am

Took my dog out for a run and picked 3 ticks off her this morning. We are using K9 Advantix and maybe it helps, but what else should we be doing? Once we expose the dog to tick infested areas - which is hard to avoid in my neck of the woods, should we be doing some kind of short term application of tick shampoos or collars to aid with the K9 Advantix?

The dog has a thick coat so while you can find ticks, often times they are not visible until that attach or the dog begins to scratch.

Knock on wood, we haven't seen any fleas - yet, but likely they will come to our attention after I post this e-mail.... ;)

The urgency to nailing the ticks is that this dog is a house dog too, so as soon as we come from the field, she and the ticks she is carrying are among our children - so we want to kill or prevent ticks (and fleas) ASAP when we find or expose the dog to them.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Bill

Gundog

Re: Tick War is On! Questions

Post by Gundog » Sun May 29, 2011 9:21 am

We have Frontlife and Matt never had a Tick - ever!

We adopted our Brittany 2 weeks ago and they used K9 too I guess and he brought 3 Ticks inside the house! We gonna switch him to Frontline as well.

Another thing you could try is an Amber collar. Heard good things about it http://www.amberstonepets.com/
These resinous aromatic terpines being released is what repels the ticks and fleas

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sun May 29, 2011 9:23 am

The best thing I've found is a Preventix collar.
Dog On Point!!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun May 29, 2011 9:42 am

It takes a few hours for any tick stuff to kill them once attached..Fortunatly it takes 24 hours for a dog to contract a tick disease. (I have been told)..
brenda

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Sun May 29, 2011 9:59 am

Ticks, fleas, & mosquitoes can be pretty bad most of the year round. We us K9 Advantix.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun May 29, 2011 10:03 am

BoJack wrote:The best thing I've found is a Preventix collar.
Agree, although the Preventic collar does not keep ticks off the dog and does nothing for fleas, I have never found an attached tick on a dog wearing one.

You might look at the ShooTag. I used on for mosquitoes and it was really effective. Can't keep a tick ShooTag on a dog, though. They tear them off. Derelicts.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Merle

Post by Merle » Sun May 29, 2011 10:11 am

I spray them with a little Martins Horse and Stable Spray before we head out. Doesn't take much. Kills the ticks as soon as they get on them. If you wanna go "organic" you can use apple cider vinegar and water to spray on them too.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sun May 29, 2011 4:17 pm

You're right casey,tics won't attach with the Preventic collar on.For fleas I give two brewers yeast tabs(Wal-mart brand)in the feed every day.Haven't seen a flea since I started doing this a few months ago.A freind who has cats told me about it.It's works for me.
Dog On Point!!

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun May 29, 2011 6:48 pm

If you're going to use Frontline, there is a generic with the same active ingredients available now called PetArmor Plus from Walmart.

I'm able to buy the 88-132 lb package and split 1 dose between 3 dogs (my dogs are all around 35 lbs so they each get 1.3ml). Walmart charges $28 for a 3 month supply vs. $40 for the same 3 month supply of Frontline.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Slaeghunder

Post by Slaeghunder » Sun May 29, 2011 8:37 pm

If you want an extra layer of protection over your expensive high powered chemical stuff (We use Frontline) one thing you can do is rub the dog down with dryer sheets before you go out. And yourself too, actually. I know a ton of people who swear by it - originally it was supposed to work as mosquito repellant (and it works marginally for that) but people discovered that they don't seem to come back with as many ticks.

No solid evidence on this really, but what could it hurt? As long as you're not allergic to the fabric softener, I guess.