How to train pup to stay off couch??

Swagg

How to train pup to stay off couch??

Post by Swagg » Mon May 30, 2011 8:53 pm

Any tips how to train pup to stay off the couch. She will either jump up and put her feet on the couch or just jump entirely onto it. I can tell her no and put her on the ground 10 times in a row before she gets bored with it?

prairiefirepointers

Re: How to train pup to stay off couch??

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon May 30, 2011 10:08 pm

slightly unorthodox, but I know its highly effective. Putting several mouse traps on it will do the trick. :wink:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon May 30, 2011 10:14 pm

Pulling them off by the ear is also effective. They seem to dislike it and learn quickly to avoid it.

We've since moved to allowing them up by invitation...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue May 31, 2011 4:46 am

it takes work and consistancy to keep off the couch potatoes :D but what we do for new dogs coming here who LOVE to try over and over to get on the couch is put a check cord on them when they are in the living room, i say when they are in the living room because i have baby gates blocking off my kitchen and only well behaved dogs get to come in, when they misbehave they go back to the kitchen..i never let dogs on my furniture or in the bed..they have their own conforters on the floor (easy to wash often) and i dont want them being confused about the fact they are dogs and dont have the same rights as we do..we use a 20 foot check cord on the dog who needs the couch training and whoever is in the room hangs on to it (its nothing to hand off the checkcord to one another) and the moment the dog goes to jump up its corrected and pulled down even if its from across the room so its instant correcting..its always worked great and they all catch on very quickly..i also dont let them look out the windows or doors to discourage any barking (my pet peeve) by using the same method with the check cord but they can look out the back door when they are in the kitchen since theres no people walking by therefore no barking, but thats another issue in itself :D ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Tue May 31, 2011 12:23 pm

Can anyone say "scatmats?" Keeps dogs nicely out of rooms too, just put at a threshhold
http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-ScatMat-E ... B0007NTBJ6
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:32 pm

SHNOOL wrote:Can anyone say "scatmats?" Keeps dogs nicely out of rooms too, just put at a threshhold
http://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-ScatMat-E ... B0007NTBJ6
I can say scatmats but I bet saying it won't help anything. They look like they would work but I would be a little concerned about using anything electric like that and the price would be enough to convince me there are better ways.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

buckshot0074

Post by buckshot0074 » Tue May 31, 2011 2:50 pm

start when they are a puppy and when the pup tries to get on the couch, push them away. It takes about 4-5 months and the whole family has to do it !

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue May 31, 2011 5:58 pm

i dont want them being confused about the fact they are dogs and dont have the same rights
Thank you!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

SHNOOL

Post by SHNOOL » Tue May 31, 2011 7:59 pm

They look like they would work but I would be a little concerned about using anything electric like that and the price would be enough to convince me there are better ways.
We bought a couple scat mats... to keep dogs in certain rooms. Then bought a couple dummy mats, and move them around... they never know which ones are live. Electrical? they run on a 9 volt, for like months, years (hard to say we've only had to change 1 battery so far and its been like 11 months)!

Yes you could buy one, and they work for tons of things. Agreed $60 is pricey, but again very useful (dummys are like $10). The shock is about as bad as dragging your feet on the carpet, a helluva lot less than most tritronics! heheeh.

Seriously though they work great, and they get the point across. Laying them on furniture when you aren't around works great, but of course when YOU are sitting on the furniture the scat mat cannot be on. You'll need to follow up with pushing them off.
Image_____________Image
DC - Britt Haven's Blaze of Glory________________Woodland's Forrest Fire - New Prospect

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:37 pm

we used a couple of soda cans with a few pebbles in them. they were stationed around the living room and kitchen. When the went up on the couch the can was thrown on the couch or on the floor near the pup. It makes an aweful sound and the retreat immediately. It seems to work. When we are on the couch we push off and tell them no.

Worked for us.

Eighty 8

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue May 31, 2011 8:47 pm

Swagg wrote:Any tips how to train pup to stay off the couch. She will either jump up and put her feet on the couch or just jump entirely onto it. I can tell her no and put her on the ground 10 times in a row before she gets bored with it?
It is really quite simple. No special gadgets or techniques needed. Just tell them No......and make sure they believe you mean it. If you have repeated he action 10 times I am absolutely certain they do not believe you mean it. In fact I would be absolutely certain that they believe you are funning with them.