I might be morbid

scmelik

I might be morbid

Post by scmelik » Tue May 31, 2011 9:42 pm

A year ago this past Christmas I lost my best pheasant hunting buddy and my best friend to a unknown bout with kidney failure. Her and I were insperable, and she was the best friend that I had for the 5 years she was with me. When she died I decided to have her cremated rather than just burying her in some lonely shelter belt somewhere. Now she sits in her own dedicated corner of my living room adorn with her collar, pictures, her whistle etc. Last fall I was unable to go and scatter a few of her ashes in our favorite little pheasant hunting spot since I was away with the Air Force.

I was reading through another thread talking about whiskey and a post caught my attention about a poster who's friend gave him a nice flask on the first hunt with his first dog and now he carries it with him on every hunt. It got me thinking that I would like to come up with something special that I can put a few of her ashes in to put in my hunting vest and take with me on every hunt, that way we can always hunt together even though she is no longer running out front. I thought about taking an empty shotgun shell and putting a few ashes in it and then crimping it down really good and closing it up somehow but I am afraid it would accidently get either dropped out of my coat or mistaken for a real shell and put in the gun.

Has anyone ever done anything like this or have and ideas?
Scott

no dogs currently, looking for a new pup probably a setter.

Forget about the ending and enjoy the story that takes you to the ending

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: I might be morbid

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue May 31, 2011 9:48 pm

http://www.evrmemories.com/pet-crematio ... s-s/34.htm

Some of the containers could be adapted to be carried along instead of worn.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:58 am

Morbid? definitnely NOT..a hunter who loved their dog? definitely YES..you have great ideas and your hunting buddy was lucky you loved her so much :D .....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:56 am

Everyone grieves differently. You do what you need to do.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't want ashes. That doesn't mean i don't grieve.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

scmelik

Post by scmelik » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:44 am

Cajun Casey wrote:http://www.evrmemories.com/pet-crematio ... s-s/34.htm

Some of the containers could be adapted to be carried along instead of worn.

Thank Casey, not quite my style but I like the idea.
Scott

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:51 am

These are a few fabricated shotgun shell keepsakes. I like your DIY idea though. Maybe you could find a way to put a split ring (key chain ring) on a real shell and attach it to your vest or something, then hopefully it won't get lost.

http://www.inthelighturns.com/memorials ... ndant.html

http://www.evrmemories.com/fortitude-sh ... vr6054.htm

scmelik

Post by scmelik » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:03 am

wems2371 wrote:These are a few fabricated shotgun shell keepsakes. I like your DIY idea though. Maybe you could find a way to put a split ring (key chain ring) on a real shell and attach it to your vest or something, then hopefully it won't get lost.

http://www.inthelighturns.com/memorials ... ndant.html

http://www.evrmemories.com/fortitude-sh ... vr6054.htm

oh thats a great idea. I am starting to get some ideas on how to make that work thanks!!!!
Scott

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:55 am

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:35 am

Let me tell you what I did, maybe it will help you. I have been involved in dogs and training for quite a few years, and have noticed that some people think the way to train a dog is harsh punishment. I have even found myself wanting to do that in fits of exasperation with some young dog.

Some years ago I had a wonderful female GSP named Reba. She was the mother of my NC, and also the surrogate mother of my own children. She was very gentle with them, and helped raise one son in particular who had some serious health issues. When she had a litter, I noticed that she would sometimes get exasperated with her own pups, but she always dealt with them in ways that got her point across, but never hurt them.

I have a hillside in my back yard where I train new dogs. When the time came that Reba had to be put down, that is where I buried her, along with another great dog of mine, a GWP. They are there to remind me to be just as gentle with their offspring as they were with mine.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Take an empty shell casing & knock out the spent primer... get some quality lanyard and extend a loop thru the hole, then glue it in place... let the glue dry a day or two... put the ashes in the shell and crimp it back down. Seal it shut with a good epoxy and you can wear it around your neck when you go out in the field... 8) i'll let ya know how mine turns out!.. :lol:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln