To Kennel or not to kennel

gr_elliott

To Kennel or not to kennel

Post by gr_elliott » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:27 pm

SO I bring my pup home on Sunday, and I live in the city. I have been looking at the 6'x10' kennels that they sell at Home Depot and Lowes and petsmart. I am at game time and need to make a desicion, do i get on of these and plan on using it to keep pup in when I am away, and continue to use it as he gets older? Or do i get something more temporary just to hold him as he is young and when he gets older and bigger let him have free rain of the backyard (fenced backyard)?

I have always lived in the country and dogs had plenty of room to roam without worry. But now I am in the middle of a good sized town.....I also have some pretty decent lawn, but I read the other day that dog urine does not bother lawns because there is not enough amonia in it and if you water on a regular basis that will also delute it.

Crate wont work during the day.....i work, and the only time I will be able to walk him in the middle of the day is at lunch time. he is only 8weeks old and cant hold it for 4 hrs at a time, at least from my undertanding

Allister Fiend

Post by Allister Fiend » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:34 pm

Lowe's also carries the 10'x10'x6' for $235 in my area. You may want to check on that as it comes apart much easier and you can buy another and add on later. This would give the dog more room from the start and as he gets older I'm sure he would appreciate it. There is only a $35 difference in this kennel and the one you are looking at and to me, 4 extra feet is worth every penny of $35. I plan to add another one to this later to make a 10'x30'x6' kennel once my pup is grown. That's hard to beat for under $500 total. Don't forget to add a heavy duty tarp or something similar to help keep the heat down durring the summer.

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:02 pm

My dog has full run of the backyard and I wouldn't have it any other way. Yeah there are some dead spots on the lawn and she has dug up a flower or two, but the last time I checked my lawn couldn't point a rooster.

Rut

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:06 pm

yeah i am not winning awards over here for my yard by no means, but i also dont want a dirt yard. I am starting to learn towards letting him have free roam of the yard when he get older and not fooling with a big kennel....

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:28 pm

If the yard is big enough then there shouldn't be any problems with a burnt lawn. In a small yard, where the dog is constantly going in one or two particular places, you can expect to have some grass burn off. There are dog treats that you can give that claim to stop that sort of thing from happening. I've not used them myself though.

As long as the fenced in yard is as secure as your kennel would be (no dog getting out and nothing bad getting in) then free reign of the yard probably wouldn't be such a bad thing. Watch for digging though, and make sure to "puppy-proof" as much as possible by not leaving a garden hose lying out or anything like that.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:43 pm

I would be more worried about what could get in that what could get out. IMO.

I know of dogs that stay in crates for over 8 hours. You just have to exercise them when they are let out (that's a given).

Tractor Supply usually has good prices on dog runs. You may or may not have one close to you.

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:20 pm

get it. you wont regret it. it is so much easier to clean up after a dog and they cant get them selves into trouble. JMO

Addict

Post by Addict » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:26 pm

I would get the kennel. I like the one's that they have at Lowe's or Home Depot over the Petsmart ones. With the Petsmart brand you can't add to it later if you need to.

Addict

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:02 am

Kennel bought!! Now, who wants to come help put it together!!! j/k

Allister Fiend

Post by Allister Fiend » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:07 am

Which one did you end up buying?

gr_elliott

Post by gr_elliott » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:32 am

I got the 6x10 at home depot w/ the shade to go over it....I am glad I decided to get it.....also just heard from the breeder, I can pick pup up on saturday after 5

OhioOnPoint

Post by OhioOnPoint » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:02 am

My dogs are in a run while I am home, and a Kennel when I am gone. I go with the Above Ground kennel, like the one offered by Scott's Dog Supply. It is quite a bit bigger than a crate, and allows the "stuff" to fall through to the ground. This kennel works good for me.