Like Waiting for Christmas As A Kid!

Onk

Like Waiting for Christmas As A Kid!

Post by Onk » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:37 am

As my pup Dexter gets closer and closer to becoming a hunting partner I find myself almost wishing away the summer so we can get to the hunting! It is almost like being a kid trying to sleep on Christmas Eve but laying there waiting for morning! Who knew you could be this old and enjoy a dog so much!!!!!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: Like Waiting for Christmas As A Kid!

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:36 am

i know EXACTLY what you mean...the only thing thats going to get me threw this summer is tests!! it keeps me focused on something and at least out on some birds training :mrgreen: ..we are going tomorrow to practice with jersey in our blind on some ducks in prep for her UT test ..waterfowl starts in sept so im looking forward to that too :D these cool cool mornings with the crisp air get me going even more as i anticipate fall, hang in there fall will be here in no time :wink: ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Onk

Post by Onk » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:17 am

yeah Ruth I want to learn about the things like Hunt Testing, don't know anything about it really. I have read some on here but don't fully understand it. Just know Field Trial won't be my thing if it involves horses, not a horse guy at all! Whatever Dexter and I get into will have to involve walking and you might say learning on the run!

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:10 am

Onk wrote:yeah Ruth I want to learn about the things like Hunt Testing, don't know anything about it really. I have read some on here but don't fully understand it. Just know Field Trial won't be my thing if it involves horses, not a horse guy at all! Whatever Dexter and I get into will have to involve walking and you might say learning on the run!
Onk, there are several trial venues where horses are not used.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:35 am

Onk wrote:yeah Ruth I want to learn about the things like Hunt Testing, don't know anything about it really. I have read some on here but don't fully understand it. Just know Field Trial won't be my thing if it involves horses, not a horse guy at all! Whatever Dexter and I get into will have to involve walking and you might say learning on the run!
have you joined a group? NAVHDA is a great way to learn about tests and of course the folks on this forum too :D im not getting into the trialing either, just not for me at this point anyway :wink: meeting with people who love to talk about dogs, training and hunting as much as we do is the best way to spend a day :D we are going to some tests in the next few weeks to watch the UT test so we know what is expected of us and jersey..if you havent joined yet go for it, its well worth the money!! i think it was like 50 bucks or something and my chapter does training days every weekend between two places and now im in touch with members who we get together on our own and train too..for the cost its a great resource and bringing dexer around all the other people and other dogs is a great thing for him too..have fun and good luck training :mrgreen: ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

HDAU

Post by HDAU » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:49 am

Onk-I feel you completely. We pick up our pup two weeks from tomorrow. I have big plans for the rest of the summer with him, but even bigger plans once the winter gets here.

Onk

Post by Onk » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:47 am

HDAU congrats on the pup! What kind are you getting?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:54 am

Go to the AKC website and search for hunt test rules. In the pamphlet it will.lay out what is expected of your.dog as well as other misc rules. Then go and try it out. I have not had a bad judge yet at a hunt test and one judge is actually who got me started in the field trial game.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:46 am

ultra, thanks for the info I looked up the AKC sight and hunt test rule book. It clears up a lot of guestions. Are the hunt test titles listed on dogs pedigrees or only field trial titles? I see some JH titles after the names in some of my dogs pedigree but a lot of other titles before the names in the pedigree. Thanks I'm just a Newbie trying to figure this whole thing out!

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:51 am

I feel the same, wish it was Fall. I do love golf so I keep busy with that in the summer. I'm hoping to get our mutts alternative registration completed so I can run in a few trials next year, think it would be good fun. I wish fall was longer as its by far my favorite time of year. Great temps, no humidity, not many insects, beautiful colors and wonderful smells! Love it!

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:10 am

Same here, only replace the golf with bass fishing!
rkappes wrote:I feel the same, wish it was Fall. I do love golf so I keep busy with that in the summer. I'm hoping to get our mutts alternative registration completed so I can run in a few trials next year, think it would be good fun. I wish fall was longer as its by far my favorite time of year. Great temps, no humidity, not many insects, beautiful colors and wonderful smells! Love it!

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:05 am

Onk wrote:ultra, thanks for the info I looked up the AKC sight and hunt test rule book. It clears up a lot of guestions. Are the hunt test titles listed on dogs pedigrees or only field trial titles? I see some JH titles after the names in some of my dogs pedigree but a lot of other titles before the names in the pedigree. Thanks I'm just a Newbie trying to figure this whole thing out!
Field trial titles and show titles go in front of the dogs name. Hunt test titles, rally, jumping events, obedience, etc. go behind the dogs name. Get into hunt tests you'll like it. There usually quite a few down at Lee Summit, usually one or two around Poney Express, a couple around Lincoln, and down around Joplin. It doesn't have to be a britt hunt test it can be any pointing breed test---they are open to all pointing breeds.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:36 am

I believe you can run a horse back trial on foot, you just have to keep up.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:17 pm

You can do a horse trial on foot and they will stay with you. Don't really matter .. after the first bird its usually split up anyway... if you don't get caught in a backing situation.

BTW there is always something to work on... mine won't see a bird for the next month or two and is only doing conditioning two times a week with FF every day

HDAU

Post by HDAU » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:21 pm

ONK-We are getting a GSP. Our supplies are starting to come in. Having the supplies and no puppy is like having a wrapped present sitting in the middle of the living room that you cannot open for two more weeks!

HDAU

Post by HDAU » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:50 pm

Onk wrote:HDAU congrats on the pup! What kind are you getting?
GSP.