Getting started in Field Trails and Hunt Test???

Swagg

Getting started in Field Trails and Hunt Test???

Post by Swagg » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:47 pm

How does one get started in field trials and hunt test. How did all of you to do them get your start? How does a typical field trail work and what is a "day at one " like? I have looked up some things about them online, but it seems like its hard to get a really good understanding without actually going to one.I figured why not ask, maybe someone can help :)

Brittguy

Re: Getting started in Field Trails and Hunt Test???

Post by Brittguy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:53 pm

If you could join a local club , especially one that is of your breed if possible. That would be the easiest . You would make friends with people knowledgeable with your breed and you would be on mailing list for trials, hunt test, fun training days ,etc.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:27 pm

Where are you from? I attended a springer trial in MN and every there seemed willing to explain things and offered me all kinds of advice.

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:38 pm

nikegundog wrote:Where are you from? I attended a springer trial in MN and every there seemed willing to explain things and offered me all kinds of advice.
Ohio

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Go to the different web sites [AKC, NAVHDA, NSTRA, etc.] find events being held near enought to you that you can go watch and talk to people. There will always be people willing to explain things and help get you started. You just need to decide what venue you think you may be interested in.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:53 pm

I heard there was a trial fairly close (1/2 hour) from me so I found the contact information for the club hosting the trial and called them. They told me to come out and watch so I did. I was pretty well hooked. I got a english setter and jumped head first into trialing. I've had some good showing with my setter and some bad ones, but I'm having fun and will keep doing it.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Look here http://www.akc.org/events/search/index.cfm

Choose 'field trials' from the competition type drop-down, choose the time frame you want, and punch in the states you can travel to. hit 'search' and you'll get all types of trials, so scroll through and look for flushing breed trials. If you click on the club name there on the left, a premium list will pop up, and you can contact the event secretary for more info.

Even if you look at trials from earlier this year, you can contact the sec'y to get info on upcoming events, club activities, and perhaps members in your area.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:15 pm

Don't want to hijack the post but I have a question to go along with this. Does a dog have to be steady to wing and shot when hunt testing?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:33 pm

Onk wrote:Don't want to hijack the post but I have a question to go
along with this. Does a dog have to be steady to wing and shot when hunt testing?
Depends on the level. In junior they just have to point anything after doesn't matter, senior they can go with the shot of the gun, master they have to be broke.
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Onk wrote:Don't want to hijack the post but I have a question to go along with this. Does a dog have to be steady to wing and shot when hunt testing?
Depends on the level. Master Hunter has to be dead broke and retrieve to hand.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Hi Swagg,

We got our start because when we purchased our pup our breeder required us to run them in a NAVHDA Natural Ability Test. In hindsight it was a blessing in disguise because it forced us to have to train our pup. As beginners we weren't really sure where to start so this gave us an inital goal to work towards. Then we feel in love with it and we have met so many great people through training. I would take some of the advice you recieved above and join a local group, either a breed specific dog club or an oganization like NAVHDA and go to training days with them. You'll be amazed at how much fun it is. We also got involved with the AKC through suggestions from our breeder. Also, if your not sure look online and see when a test will be held near your area and just go and watch. Often times you can walk behind the judges and see the test first hand for yourself. Also if you go to the test people are friendly and will give you all kinds of advice on where to start. Good luck!

~Robyn
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:54 pm

Find a good club and go to both Field Trials and Hunt Tests. I like the hunt tests personally - but also have enjoyed watching (and will likely try) the NSTRA games. They're a lot of fun to watch. The folks in my dog club do field trials, hunt tests and walking field trials.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:34 am

Byrdgirl wrote:Hi Swagg,

We got our start because when we purchased our pup our breeder required us to run them in a NAVHDA Natural Ability Test. In hindsight it was a blessing in disguise because it forced us to have to train our pup. As beginners we weren't really sure where to start so this gave us an inital goal to work towards. Then we feel in love with it and we have met so many great people through training. I would take some of the advice you recieved above and join a local group, either a breed specific dog club or an oganization like NAVHDA and go to training days with them. You'll be amazed at how much fun it is. We also got involved with the AKC through suggestions from our breeder. Also, if your not sure look online and see when a test will be held near your area and just go and watch. Often times you can walk behind the judges and see the test first hand for yourself. Also if you go to the test people are friendly and will give you all kinds of advice on where to start. Good luck!

~Robyn
DITTO :mrgreen: ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:35 am

I'm going to answer assuming that you're talking about pointing dogs.

1. In Ohio, the spring trial season is over and we're coming to the end of the hunt tests, so you'll either have to get busy or wait till the Fall.

2. Go to: http://www.akc.org/events/search/ . Search for the kind of event that you have an opportunity to visit.

3. Note the Weim Club of Greater Cleveland test at Cardington, OH June 11 and 12. That's the Keeton's farm. Nice place, nice folks. There is a Vizsla Club test the following weekend at the same location and will be a lot of the same folks. That's it till the Fall, dude.

4. Call the secretary and tell them that you'd like to visit and specifically mention that you'd like to walk a few braces.

5. Get good directions, it's easy to get turned around.

6. When you get there, introduce yourself to the secretary. Ask about walking some of the braces. You'll want to talk to the field marshall and/or the judges. Introduce yourself, tell them that you're a beginner looking at getting into tests and tell them that you'll observe and stay out of the way. If it is a master hunter or senior hunter stake, also go introduce yourself to the gunners and ask where and how to stay out of the way. When I gun there, I like the observers to hide behind the bird house till the brace is over.

7. Don't ask questions during the brace. People are trying to judge or handle their dogs. Ask questions between stakes.

If you have questions about the Ohio scene, feel free to PM me here. I'll either be able to answer or put you onto someone that can.

Greg Jennings

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:43 am

Some more info. Assuming AKC events here:

1. Field trials are competitive. That is, a bunch of dogs run and judges award the placements. 1st through Nth. N depends on how many dogs are in the stake. More dogs, more placments.

2. In hunt tests, the dogs are judged against a standard and given "Qualify" or "Non Qualify" (i.e. "Pass" or "Fail"). Every dog could pass and every dog could fail.

3. In both, the overall event is broken up into "Stakes".

In hunt tests, the stakes are Junior Hunter, Senior Hunter and Master Hunter. Dogs have to be 6 months old, but there are no other age restrictions. The stakes increase in how demanding the standard is that they are judged against.

In Field trials, there are stakes for Puppy, Derby and Open that are dependent on age. You'll also see qualifiers like "Open Limited Gun Dog (RET)". That means, that the stake is open to dogs of any age, it is limited to dogs that have won a stake previously, and RETrieving is somehow required.

All such things and more are spelled out in what is called "The Premium". These are mailed out, emailed or downloaded from the club's web site.

4. In both tests and trials, the dogs run in "braces". That means there are two dogs, their handlers and two judges. Sometimes this is a major hassle, so you do any training, it helps to run with another dog a bit.

5. All hunt tests are walking. Field trials are either designated walking stakes or a stake that allows handling from horseback. Judging is always from horseback. We argue back and forth about handlers walking on here. Some say that walking in a stake with horseback handling allowed is not a good thing, others say all the stakes allow handling from foot and if you pay your money, you should be able to do so.

6. In Senior and Master Hunter stakes and in Retrieving Stakes, birds are shot for the dogs to retrieve, but they are shot by designated "gunners" that the club provides. It's a safety thing.

Hopefully that'll get the Q&A started.

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:56 am

Thanks great info! I have one more prob. stupid question, you hear of trial dogs being, "Big Runners", which I assume means they get out and stretch their legs!? Hunt test I have not heard that much about! Looks like my pup is going to be a good quartering dog? Does this mean he is more suited to only hunt test? He thus far has a very good nose on him from what I can tell and he has alot of trial dogs in his roots!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:09 am

"Big Runner" means a dog that ranges further out from the handler. At least that is what I've always assumed it to mean. There are some terms like "class" and "style" that still trip me up.

If I were you, I'd look doing some hunt tests and walking field trial stakes.

If you want your dog to range out more, there are some things that can be done to help. With that said, you'll never make an all-age dog out of a dog that naturally wants to hunt at 35 yards.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:55 am

The OP has a springer.

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Great information Greg... That is a lot of what i was looking for. And as someone else mentioned I do have a English Springer Spaniel. How much of that will be different. I'm up near Toledo so the one coming up this weekend is not all that far from me. Being I do have a springer would it be worth the trip, or are springer test/trials a completely different ball game?

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:46 pm

What kind of trial is the one that you are looking at going to?

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:50 pm

Yes, if you want to participate you need to find events for flushing dogs, not pointing dogs. But it's always fun just watch other events just to see what other types of dogs do.

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:54 pm

shags wrote:Yes, if you want to participate you need to find events for flushing dogs, not pointing dogs. But it's always fun just watch other events just to see what other types of dogs do.
Well yeah I figured that much, Lol :) Boy would everyone get a good laugh at me If I tried to enter a flushing dog into a pointing event. My pup is only 12 weeks old at this point, so entering an event is out of the question. But I would like to get this all figured out now so when she is 6 months old we can get-er-done :mrgreen:

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Well, then, go to whatever flushy event that's convenient and see what you can see :D It'll be a good place to get some club contacts for other events that are coming up. I don't know about spaniels, but pointy dog clubs generally hold 2 maybe 3 trials a year, and a couple of hunt tests, usually divided spring and fall (where I live, at least). So if spaniels are similar, getting on the email or mailing list now will expedite things later.

You can maybe find someone to train with too.

Good luck have fun :lol:

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Spaniels run their own trial separate from other flushing breeds, I believe, and springers are often in their own class. The one I attended was Springer only.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Here, scroll down to 'standard procedure'. That's where it gets interesting.
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RFTSPN.pdf

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:16 am

shags wrote:Here, scroll down to 'standard procedure'. That's where it gets interesting.
http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RFTSPN.pdf
Good stuff, thanks

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:22 am

Greg Jennings wrote:I'm going to answer assuming that you're talking about pointing dogs.
OOPS!

Most of that will still apply. You'll just have to make minor adjustments for flushing breed tests.

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:42 am

Greg Jennings wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:I'm going to answer assuming that you're talking about pointing dogs.
OOPS!

Most of that will still apply. You'll just have to make minor adjustments for flushing breed tests.

:D Was still a lot of great info. Do you know anyone from our area that runs ESS???

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:51 am

No. I see a guy out at Spring Valley once in a very great while.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:03 pm

Do an event search at the akc website. Look under 'current calendar year' and punch in 'ohio'. You'll see Ravenna Field Trial Club and two under that, a springer club. Now all you gotta do is click on those clubs and the premium list will pop up. Call the secretary. He/she will most likely be able to give you some name of flushy guys in your area. If you're extra lucky, maybe those folks can direct you to other types of events as well. Nothing wrong with the akc stuff, but it's always nice to check out other venues. More for you!

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:24 pm

There are also some UFTA trials held up in the Ashland area. They have flushing as well as pointing divisions. I'm sure you will get as many opinions about the best trial organization as there are opinions about the best breed of dog.
http://www.ufta-online.com/