Things to do with your dog in this heat

webfoot1973

Things to do with your dog in this heat

Post by webfoot1973 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:33 am

What are some things you guys work on in this heat......Too hot too early here in the Carolinas..

brad27

Re: Things to do with your dog in this heat

Post by brad27 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:36 am

water work. actually it doesn't even have to be work, just let em swim. things that don't require a lot of running. FF.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:38 am

Swimming is good. Need to check out the blue-green algae situation, though.

Can road them in the wee hours before daylight, if you have a place to do it.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:50 am

Train early early early in the morning
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:10 am

I'm just up the coast from ya, 100 at noon with 70 percent humidity, it was 94 at 10am......

Lay up in the AC is all I'm gonna do in this heat.......Dogs seem to agree :D
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:13 am

Its hot here in TX too...

Greg, what is the Blue Green algea thing you were talking about?

webfoot1973

Post by webfoot1973 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:17 am

We do some water work....mostly blinds and doubles. Some healing in the yard....a lot of sitting in the house in the A\C

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:27 am

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2007/ ... -your-dog/

My 3 just want to lie in front of the fan so that's fine with me. Here in Ontario dogs can't be off the leash during breeding season( until August) so little can be done.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:31 am

proudag08 wrote:Its hot here in TX too...

Greg, what is the Blue Green algea thing you were talking about?
Sharon's link says it all.

It's nasty stuff. Learn to identify it and when you see it, "don't go in the water".

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:03 am

Currently I am breaking 4 dogs. Mostly all yard work and any bird work is done EARLY in the AM.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:19 am

Water work and some yard work, it is pretty hot out and with the drought no waterholes to run too when out conditioning.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

jlowery

Post by jlowery » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:25 am

Worked water last night, Stick fetch fun, little "Duck" (Frozen bird) work from the bank.... I usually wait till about 8+pm to get out and do any yard work.

And yes, that is a Setter doing water work....HAHA!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:35 am

Its been real hot here in canada as well, we work later in the evening, mainly water work or do alot of spraying (i use a fan with water bottle attached to spray the dogs) we also carry ice in a cooler in the back of the truck or van for them in between when were resting under a tree in the shade..looks like tomorrow here its suppose to stay in the 70's for a bit, now our pool is open so the dogs will do alot of swimming with the kids :D .....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:55 am

It's been in the high 90's here in Pennsylvania with awful humidity. So we take our GSP to different ponds, she gets homemade frosty paws, we set up a doggie pool for her and she goes nuts to get squirted with the hose.
Here's some of her beat the heat summer fun:
http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/searc ... mmer%20Fun
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:38 pm

Well many of us here will just open their door and jump into the river :) when it is very hot Ijust take em to the lake and we go swimming and playing fetch.

I got another dog, a friend of mines house is under water now so I took the dog they are looking for a place to stay. Been training that dog some basic stuff like come, dont jump on me you .... well you get it.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:09 pm

Move faster earlier. Lots of free run time at daybreak and dusk. Put the sawhorse table up for whoa work.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:14 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:Its been real hot here in canada as well, ................ looks like tomorrow here its suppose to stay in the 70's for a bit .....ruth
Somehow I think the "hot" in Canada is a little different than they "HOT" in the South. :lol:

quanah labs

Post by quanah labs » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:22 pm

proudag08 wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:Its been real hot here in canada as well, ................ looks like tomorrow here its suppose to stay in the 70's for a bit .....ruth
Somehow I think the "hot" in Canada is a little different than they "HOT" in the South. :lol:
I was thinking the same thing! Right now it is right around 100 degrees here in Texas, I would kill for a HOT Canadian summer day. I guess its the same thing when we start crying about it being cold here in the winter, the Canadians must just laugh.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:32 pm

Somehow I think the "hot" in Canada is a little different than they "HOT" in the South
Didnt it get over a hundred up north on the west side? It isnt snowing there dudes :) thats smoke :) tis legal there?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:04 pm

There is a big lake where I run. I do mainly yard work, and let them free run. They do fine as long as there is water they can cool off in when needed.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:15 pm

quanah labs wrote:
proudag08 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing! Right now it is right around 100 degrees here in Texas, I would kill for a HOT Canadian summer day. I guess its the same thing when we start crying about it being cold here in the winter, the Canadians must just laugh.
the weathers alot different in UPPER canada but im in the most southern part of canada (30 minutes from michigan) it does get darn hot here too, it was 98 degrees yesterday and really humid but VERY true theres nothing like the humidity in the south..i STILL would like to move to louisiana and hang out with the "swamp people" :mrgreen: ...ruth

larry

Post by larry » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:40 pm

northern cajun wrote:Water work and some yard work, it is pretty hot out and with the drought no waterholes to run too when out conditioning.
Where are the gaters, in by the AC?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:47 pm

quanah labs wrote:
proudag08 wrote:
I'm in northern IL which isn't too far south of the southern Ontario line and it was 98 on Monday, 101 Tuesday, 95 Wednesday. Believe it or not we do get hot once in a while and there is a lot more humidity with it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:32 pm

larry wrote:
northern cajun wrote:Water work and some yard work, it is pretty hot out and with the drought no waterholes to run too when out conditioning.
Where are the gaters, in by the AC?
the gators love the heat!!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:41 pm

Come on down Ruth I hunt woodcock in that swamp I am one of those swamp people! If you ever hear of Lake Verret that's my peeps. Ruth with all due respect its nasty hot down here. We have a saying "nother 90 90 day" over 90 degrees with over 90 humidity which makes it oppressive!! For example I was up in Wisconsin this past weekend doing dog stuff and I had to look at my phone twice it said 89 but feels like 84, I was like that never happens in the south :roll:

Ezzy you are right it can get hot up there but........
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:25 pm

At the start of a break in the weather here, gonna take full advantage and get a lot of work in this weekend. Over the last couple days when it was hot, did some bumper work in the living room. Started working with multiple bumpers along with hold and heel.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:33 am

northern cajun wrote:Come on down Ruth I hunt woodcock in that swamp I am one of those swamp people! If you ever hear of Lake Verret that's my peeps. Ruth with all due respect its nasty hot down here. We have a saying "nother 90 90 day" over 90 degrees with over 90 humidity which makes it oppressive!! For example I was up in Wisconsin this past weekend doing dog stuff and I had to look at my phone twice it said 89 but feels like 84, I was like that never happens in the south :roll:

Ezzy you are right it can get hot up there but........
im gonna take you up on that offer northern cajun I LOVE THE HEAT and i love woodcock so lets do it :D as you know i was referring to the T.V show "the swamp people" im very addicted to it :twisted: i was born in florida, grew up here in canada but always felt drawn to louisiana for some reason..mark my words I WILL live there one day..and thanks for the link :wink: ...ruth

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:41 am

We had a good laugh when our EP was chasing trout in the stream across from the house!!! It was hilarious... She'd caulk her head to the side with the big elephant ears sticking out and pounce! :lol: Gonna try to take her in the canoe tonight... should be a scream... anyone ever had an English Pointer in a boat?!! :?: could be a trip to remember!..
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:43 pm

Took my 18 month old EP for a ride in the canoe tonight & lived to tell about it! She was great except when she kept trying to get a drink! :lol: My son took some pictures on his phone... I'll try to post them later... He couldn't believe how well she did, cuz she's usually actin' like she smokes crack! :lol: She wasn't sure at first, but then she relaxed & was great... nice way to beat the evening heat!
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln