PA law dealing with training with pigeons

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

PA law dealing with training with pigeons

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:01 am

I saw this today and it said it was being acted on today http://tinyurl.com/43lsgh5
Basically it is a bill that would eliminate shooting pigeons that are hand thrown or thrown from a launcher in PA. Edited: it does not mention hand throwing.
Last edited by nikegundog on Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: PA law dealing with training with pigeons

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:05 am

Same law as in NJ. Gamebirds must be shot (or an attempt) but pigeons must go free.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:13 am

OML

Do we not have better use of our judicial system then to clog it up with this Garbage

Pigeons are dangerous to the public they can spread diseases they can ruin roofs causing 100,000's of Thousands of dollars damage from their excrement Why do you think Exterminators make money painting roofs with special covers that burn pigeons feet to stay off or all the money for those anti pigeon roosts spikes which the birds use to make nest or the plastic Owls ...Etc ETC ETC Seriously

and now some bleeding heart has yet another Stupid Law to the books :evil: to protect these flying rats GMAB
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:17 am

mcbosco wrote:Same law as in NJ. Gamebirds must be shot (or an attempt) but pigeons must go free.
Same law in Ontario and no bob white quail can be released or shot.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:18 am

Likely a dig at Live Pigeon shoots and the gambling associated with it, let alone those who decry live critters as targets in a competition....the dog trainer gets hit as collateral damage by those ignorant of any law's ultimate reach.
Same as with some dog laws in municipalities.
The Way of Today.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:21 am

Likely a dig at Live Pigeon shoots and the gambling associated with it, let alone those who decry live critters as targets in a competition....the dog trainer gets hit as collateral damage by those ignorant of any law's ultimate reach.
Same as with some dog laws in municipalities.
The Way of Today.
That was my take on it exactly, aimed at the pigeon shoots, but will also be applied to training.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:23 am

first the PA kennel laws now this.....Im betting this is deeper than collateral damage.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:36 am

The way it is written it won't have anything to do with dog training. It specifically states any public event that uses live birds for targets. Kind of hard to argue with that even though we don't need to protect pigeons. Reminds me of the tower shoots for pheasants that clubs hold around here. Just better things to do than go out and shoot something just for the sake of killing it in my mind. Another example is the high fence farm hunting or in the worst cases the shooting of wild animals in cages which we read about evey year.

Lets hope it is enforcsed with some common sense which it won't be if they can find a loop hole.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:42 am

It will affect training at clubs, and also springer trial (puppy class). I would say that the training day event that you helped host would have also would have been banned if it would have been in PA.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:54 am

nikegundog wrote:I saw this today and it said it was being acted on today http://tinyurl.com/43lsgh5
Basically it is a bill that would eliminate shooting pigeons that are hand thrown or thrown from a launcher in PA.
Get used to using "non-mechanical assistance". I got nailed tethering a pheasant hen last year, cost me two Giants tickets.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:03 pm

Makes me glad I live in Oklahoma and that I have access to a large ranch to hunt and train on. During hunting season the ranch manager will come down to say Hi every once in awhile but for the most part I am left to my own designs year round. Myself and one other friend of mine who rarely hunts are the only people with access to this place. That way I don't have to worry about other people's feelings and opinions while I am training. I feel for you and will definitely email a buddy of mine who lives in Pa. He has been trying to decide between pigeons and quail for training birds for the Pointer pup I just sent him. I think that will make his decision a bit easier. Thanks for the post.

bhairhoger

Post by bhairhoger » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:33 pm

ezzy333 wrote:The way it is written it won't have anything to do with dog training. It specifically states any public event that uses live birds for targets. Kind of hard to argue with that even though we don't need to protect pigeons. Reminds me of the tower shoots for pheasants that clubs hold around here. Just better things to do than go out and shoot something just for the sake of killing it in my mind. Another example is the high fence farm hunting or in the worst cases the shooting of wild animals in cages which we read about evey year.

Lets hope it is enforcsed with some common sense which it won't be if they can find a loop hole.

Ezzy
Sorry Ezzy but I feel that you are wrong. Read this again and think about using pigeons and launchers when you are out training.

"Fowl." A bird, except game birds as defined and regulated under 34 Pa.C.S. § 102 (relating to definitions).

"Trap shoot" or "block shoot." An event during which participants shoot or attempt to shoot targets that are: (1) launched or otherwise immediately presented to the shooter with electronic or mechanical assistance from a fixed location or locations within a predefined shooting field; or (2) affixed to a rope, chain or other tethering device when presented to the shooter.

If this does pass they will move right to dog training.
Rules while hunting with me and my dog
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me
#3 If you break rule #1 be ready to break rule #2!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1188
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3371

Fester

Post by Fester » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Let me get this straight you can still train with pigeons maybe even tether to a pole but don't shoot them is this right? maybe even throw them with a launcher and not shoot them? I guess you could start out that way and finish with quail
Fester

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:33 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Makes me glad I live in Oklahoma and that I have access to a large ranch to hunt and train on. During hunting season the ranch manager will come down to say Hi every once in awhile but for the most part I am left to my own designs year round. Myself and one other friend of mine who rarely hunts are the only people with access to this place. That way I don't have to worry about other people's feelings and opinions while I am training. I feel for you and will definitely email a buddy of mine who lives in Pa. He has been trying to decide between pigeons and quail for training birds for the Pointer pup I just sent him. I think that will make his decision a bit easier. Thanks for the post.
Be patient Tom, they will eventually get to you :(

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:43 pm

Yeah Tommy don't take what you have now for granted because it can disapear much faster then you think.When I started hunting birds in 1974 we had birds (Mr Bob) in all directions form my front door.By 1980 they were all but gone & now they are GONE.Count your blessings but don't think for one minute it can't happen.Same with the laws being passed every day,it starts some where & just keeps expanding. :evil:

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:22 am

The good thing about living out where I do is that even other people in Oklahoma don't know where I live and they really hate coming all the way out here. I went to a law enforcement training class for work about a month ago and I had to tell the majority of the other 21 people in my class where I lived and worked because they did not know anything existed past Woodward which is 120 miles from here. People from OKC and Tulsa actually forget the Panhandle of Oklahoma even exists. If they do make that law here in Oklahoma at least I know where I live will be the last place in the state they actually enforce it. :lol:

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:29 am

Sharon wrote:
mcbosco wrote:Same law as in NJ. Gamebirds must be shot (or an attempt) but pigeons must go free.
sharon, theres a law you cant shoot pigeons when training here in ontario :? ??? ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:37 am

I live in Pennsylvania and we had gotten wind about this from the place we get our pigeons from. Even just a couple of months ago when we would go pick up pigeons for training, people would be pulling in with box trucks and taking them 1,000 at a time. I assuming for shoots. But now we have to put our orders in in advance and there is still no guarantee we will get them. He said at this point no one is "running" for them any longer and its made it near impossible to get them.
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:41 pm

It does not pertain to activities under the game and wildlife code of the game commition.
Including dog training.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:09 pm

It does not pertain to activities under the game and wildlife code of the game commition.
Including dog training.
From what I've read, their is nothing in the game and wildlife code that talks about pigeons and launchers, and because that is not mentioned in the code it will be banned. I am not from PA, I am just going off some info I have read.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:14 pm

The next thing ya know we will have to register our fishing rods and they will ban using worms to fish :? ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:23 pm

nikegundog wrote:
Including dog training.
From what I've read, their is nothing in the game and wildlife code that talks about pigeons and launchers, and because that is not mentioned in the code it will be banned. I am not from PA, I am just going off some info I have read.
Well let's just hope the officer that gave me the info is correct.
I have gotten contradicting information from them before.
Just to be safe ill save the email if there are any incidents.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Switching to Chuckars... :roll: I will call my local representative and inquire about an "individual training amendment" to the bill... but I bet I already can hear the line of bull... :evil:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:47 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
Sharon wrote:
sharon, theres a law you cant shoot pigeons when training here in ontario :? ??? ....ruth

PM sent.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:32 pm

Anyone who has been to the state of PA or NJ for that matter cannot be suprised at this. If you hunt in NJ you pretty much need a second job just to fund your hunting.

It is the TREE HUGGERS. God forbid you should shoot one of the 1000's of deer that are in your county eating your plants or having triplets in your yard. A Bird? why I ask would you do that. We love to watch them with our binacular's when we walk our labradoodle's.

If any of you have driven down one of our fine over crowded turnpikes, you will see that antenna towers dressed up like super tall pine trees because it is a horrible site to have that ugly pole stick up over all the beautiful trees. So take our tax dollars and make them look like trees. We'll just cut back on books for the school and they can take an hour to admire the beautiful fake tree towers that we made.

Tax dollars at work!!!!

eighty-8