JERSEY WAITING TO BE RELEASED (VIDEO)

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

JERSEY WAITING TO BE RELEASED (VIDEO)

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:21 pm

hey all, i wanted to post this video when i posted the pics earlier but it wouldnt cooperate :? i just wanted to show jerseys progress with WHOA and waiting to be released to fetch her dummy, as well as retrieve to hand...she also waits in a blind until released on a duck launched into the reeds, which i will post later..thanks so much for looking, i appreciate it alot :D ...ruth...ALSO you have watch it twice cause the WHOA command seems to cut out the first time :wink: and theres other videos and pics as well...

JERSEY 6 MONTHS STEADY ON A RETRIEVE AND RETRIEVE TO HAND....CLICK TO WATCH

GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Brittlver

Re: JERSEY WAITING TO BE RELEASED (VIDEO)

Post by Brittlver » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Very nice... Wanna train my dog.. :lol:

Jesse

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:47 pm

Brittlver wrote:Very nice... Wanna train my dog.. :lol:

Jesse
:lol: thanks for the compliment, she makes us look good :mrgreen: also we were suppose to have her on her check cord cause its a dog pond but nobody was in the pond area so we broke the rules :oops: :wink: thanks again for looking...ruth

mlittle

Post by mlittle » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:55 pm

Sweet!

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:05 pm

I first glance I thought it was a jack russel terrier, but now I see its a GSP. :? Looks like Jersey is coming along great, waiting on seeing photos of the kennel build.

larry

Post by larry » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:45 pm

Ruth, just one tip. Have your husband backup so the dog has to completly come out of the water before delivering to hand.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:03 pm

larry wrote:Ruth, just one tip. Have your husband backup so the dog has to completly come out of the water before delivering to hand.
@NIKE, i will be posting pics of the kennel soon, brians been so busy building for others he hasnt been to our property in a while :D ..ruth

@LARRY, our member friends at NAVHDA told us to go right to the waters edge when training RETRIEVE TO HAND out of the water so she is set up for success AND that we should back up BIT BY BIT as she gets better holding and giving the dummy to us BEFORE shaking..coming out of the water she tends to drop the dummy to shake so they told us to wait RIGHT AT THE WATERS EDGE..advice/help/opinion would be helpful as i want to make sure we do everything right..thanks alot for the help..ruth :D

rschmeider

Post by rschmeider » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Love the video...She swims like shes been doing it for years.Nice retrieve!!I just got my female to swim shes 1 couple months.She still kicking her front paws out water.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:28 am

rschmeider wrote:Love the video...She swims like shes been doing it for years.Nice retrieve!!I just got my female to swim shes 1 couple months.She still kicking her front paws out water.
thanks, she sure loves the water, we should have named her OTTER :lol: she will go under water to get a stick if she wants it too..thanks for watching :D ...ruth

larry

Post by larry » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:02 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
larry wrote:Ruth, just one tip. Have your husband backup so the dog has to completly come out of the water before delivering to hand.
@NIKE, i will be posting pics of the kennel soon, brians been so busy building for others he hasnt been to our property in a while :D ..ruth

@LARRY, our member friends at NAVHDA told us to go right to the waters edge when training RETRIEVE TO HAND out of the water so she is set up for success AND that we should back up BIT BY BIT as she gets better holding and giving the dummy to us BEFORE shaking..coming out of the water she tends to drop the dummy to shake so they told us to wait RIGHT AT THE WATERS EDGE..advice/help/opinion would be helpful as i want to make sure we do everything right..thanks alot for the help..ruth :D
I put all my dogs thru FF before I run in UT. The FF cleans up any dropping. If you have just done play retrieve what you are doing makes sense. If you are not going to do FF you might want to do the first steps, (hold untill told to give, and carry without dropping).

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:02 am

larry, weve been working on HOLD with jersey in the last few weeks on the WHOA TABLE we made a while back..i dont know the proper way to FF and dont feel comfortable enough with the knowledge i have about it (not much)..do you have any video or reading recommendations that are easy to follow..i would appreciate ANY help with it, thanks alot...ruth :D

larry

Post by larry » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:55 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:larry, weve been working on HOLD with jersey in the last few weeks on the WHOA TABLE we made a while back..i dont know the proper way to FF and dont feel comfortable enough with the knowledge i have about it (not much)..do you have any video or reading recommendations that are easy to follow..i would appreciate ANY help with it, thanks alot...ruth :D
The first time I did it (25 yrs ago) I used the NAVHDA Green Book. It shows force fetch step by step. I think that book starts right off with the ear pinch, now I do hold first, then carry. Once I can put almost anything in the dogs mouth and have him carry without dropping I am ready for the ear pinch. Also now once I have the dog picking up on command without a pinch I back up the training and overlay with the e-collar. There should be someone in your NAVHDA chapter that can get you started then work you thru FF. I'm working FF with a couple new members in our chapter now.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:55 am

Thanks larry, i will be talking with someone at the next training day and at the handlers clinic as well about FF, i have the green book, looks like i better read ALL OF IT :D thanks again...ruth