True Grit

gittrdonebritts

True Grit

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:44 pm

After years of my childhood spent watching Duke Movies with my Grandfather becoming a bigger and bigger fan of his westerns(true grit being my favorite) and pretty much anything he did, I finally pushed myself to watch the remake, I was really Leary to do so after having spent the money to go see the remake of 3-10 Yuma and being so disgusted with it that I walked out, I have to say i was impressed with how well Jeff bridges did capturing the Character of Rooster but I was not Impressed with the rest of the movie really happy I already had Net flicks, wondering who else saw it and what they thought ?

Kall It Action

Re: True Grit

Post by Kall It Action » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:34 pm

I thought the movie was good but the original is always better. It does have some great scenery and pretty horses also.
Last edited by Kall It Action on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Chari~
"You can't run a dog based on color."
"Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the Stars."
"Do one thing everyday that scares you. It lets you know you're alive."

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:48 pm

Good but, nobody says " Fill your hands you SOB" like the Duke! Duke is still king of the western!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Kall It Action

Post by Kall It Action » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:57 pm

Onk wrote:Good but, nobody says " Fill your hands you SOB" like the Duke! Duke is still king of the western!
I quite agree...
~Chari~
"You can't run a dog based on color."
"Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the Stars."
"Do one thing everyday that scares you. It lets you know you're alive."

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:16 am

we watched it the other day, didnt care for it nearly as much as the original, i on the other hand didnt like jeff bridges as rooster but i dont like him as an actor anyway so maybe that was it...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:46 am

Just watched it on Tuesday. I've never seen the original but I thought the remake was decent. Not the best, not the worst. It felt like it should've been longer or something. The ending seemed so abrupt in my opinion. Maybe its because I was really enjoying the movie and then it was done and I was left wanting more....not sure I guess. I did enjoy the character Mattie, thought Jeff Bridges was great, liked Little Blackie, agree with the beautiful scenery and horses. All and all it was a decent movie.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:47 am

Haven't seen the new True Grit and probably won't.

The original True Grit is actually a book and, from what I've read, the new True Grit is actually closer to the book. Darker, in ways.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:00 am

Greg Jennings wrote:Haven't seen the new True Grit and probably won't.

The original True Grit is actually a book and, from what I've read, the new True Grit is actually closer to the book. Darker, in ways.
It is closer to the Book and is much Darker than when Duke did it, and that's what I really didn't like was how Dark it was, seems many movies are going that direction and Just not my taste.
rkappes wrote:I've never seen the original
Were should I send you a copy of the Original to ?
GUNDOGS wrote:didnt like jeff bridges as rooster but i dont like him as an actor anyway
I think he was the best choice out of anyone that could have possibly done it, I think they could have had a better Ranger Leboeuf But that could because I don't like Damon outside of the Bourn Movies.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:08 am

I did not even like the promo for new grit movie and for me I am a john wayne fan so I will wait till it is on tv incase I need the remote to change the channel
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

djloder

Post by djloder » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:42 am

I'm sorry but the first one is like a Disney movie, which a western should never be. From the first scene of the movie they couldn’t get it right, the guy shoots Mattie’s Dad with a SXS and they use a pump shotgun for a sound effect. Then when they did the hanging it looks like they shoot the scene on a ballpark with how nice the grass is cut. The only reason you would say this movie is better is because it reminds you off your childhood, just like my Dad who I finally got to admit the new version is a better movie. It was like how night of the living dead was scary.

I didn’t even want to mention how bad the score was for the original.
Derek Lodermeier
TR GUN Derrick de L'Etoile du Nord NA-PZ1TAN http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2204

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:32 am

djloder wrote:I'm sorry but the first one is like a Disney movie, which a western should never be. From the first scene of the movie they couldn’t get it right, the guy shoots Mattie’s Dad with a SXS and they use a pump shotgun for a sound effect. Then when they did the hanging it looks like they shoot the scene on a ballpark with how nice the grass is cut. The only reason you would say this movie is better is because it reminds you off your childhood, just like my Dad who I finally got to admit the new version is a better movie. It was like how night of the living dead was scary.

That's your opinion and your welcome to it, but if you look back at all the original westerns there was never any blood or guts or gore and that's just how I like my westerns. don't care much to see blood any more. and actually it was a Henry rifle the sound affect was off but could have been him cocking his lever action rifle.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:03 am

I have not seen the new True Grit yet mostly due to the fact that I can't get past somebody other than the Duke playing Rooster. I will say that I am a huge fan of the down to earth/realistic modern westerns such as Unforgiven(GREATEST COWBOY MOVIE OF ALL TIME), Apoloosa, and Open Range. I will also include Broken Trail and Lonesome Dove. I enjoy the human feel that they bring rather than the super hero style of the old westerns. Someone mentioned the new True Grit being darker and that makes me want to watch it.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:16 am

djloder wrote:I'm sorry but the first one is like a Disney movie, which a western should never be. From the first scene of the movie they couldn’t get it right, the guy shoots Mattie’s Dad with a SXS and they use a pump shotgun for a sound effect. Then when they did the hanging it looks like they shoot the scene on a ballpark with how nice the grass is cut. The only reason you would say this movie is better is because it reminds you off your childhood, just like my Dad who I finally got to admit the new version is a better movie. It was like how night of the living dead was scary.

I agree. I thought the girl in the original was annoying, and Glen Campbell is an awful actor. I liked "Rooster Cogburn" ALOT better than the original "True Grit". I enjoyed the remake, even though there will never be another John Wayne.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:23 am

dog dr wrote:I thought the girl in the original was annoying,
To say the least.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:30 am

Onk wrote:Good but, nobody says " Fill your hands you SOB" like the Duke! Duke is still king of the western!

I still remember the spanking I got telling my grandma to fill your hands you SOB :oops: to nip any smart comments in the butt I was 5 or 6 ish

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:37 am

Ron R wrote: I will also include Broken Trail and Lonesome Dove.
I forgot the best tv series of them all, Deadwood.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:42 am

Ron R wrote:I am a huge fan of the down to earth/realistic modern westerns such as Unforgiven(GREATEST COWBOY MOVIE OF ALL TIME), Apoloosa, and Open Range.

I did enjoy open Range mainly cause of Robert Duval he was another good old school western actor and actually played Lucky Ned Pepper in the Original true grit and was also in Joe Kidd with Clint Eastwood.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:49 am

dog dr wrote: I liked "Rooster Cogburn" ALOT better
I'm still waiting for the remake of that, Jeff bridges as Rooster and Betty white as Eula Goodnight :lol:

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:42 am

I bought the new one but I fall asleep when I try t owatch it.... been working too much, come in eat, sit down and fall asleep. Ate dinner last nite 11:00pm was up at 5 am. work work work......
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:20 am

Remakes seldom work...if they ever redo The Searchers then someone should be horsewhipped.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:20 pm

Mountaineer wrote:...if they ever redo The Searchers then someone should be horsewhipped.
Mountaineer, your gonna kill me.....I mean horsewhip me but I think that would be a great movie to re-make.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:32 pm

Ron R wrote:...Mountaineer, your gonna kill me.....I mean horsewhip me but I think that would be a great movie to re-make.
"That'll be the day"

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:33 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Ron R wrote:...Mountaineer, your gonna kill me.....I mean horsewhip me but I think that would be a great movie to re-make.
"That'll be the day"
Classic Duke lol

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm ready for a remake of F-Troop....yeah I know I'm dating myself since most of you pups have never heard of the series!

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:44 pm

Onk wrote:I'm ready for a remake of F-Troop....yeah I know I'm dating myself since most of you pups have never heard of the series!
Sorry Onk I'm not even 30 yet I had to google F-Troop hahahahaha

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:59 pm

Who do you think would win in a gunfight, Wil Munny or Rooster Cogburn? I say Wil Munny......10 times out of 10 Rooster looses that battle.

Pryor Creek Okie

Post by Pryor Creek Okie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Ron R wrote: I forgot the best tv series of them all, Deadwood.
I loved that show. I can't believe it only lasted three seasons.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:30 pm

Ron R wrote:Who do you think would win in a gunfight, Wil Munny or Rooster Cogburn? ....
Tom Doniphon

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:42 pm

Ron R wrote:Who do you think would win in a gunfight, Wil Munny or Rooster Cogburn? I say Wil Munny......10 times out of 10 Rooster looses that battle.
Wil Munny all the way! Rooster would have said fill your hand you S... and it would be all over.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:20 pm

I'll say it. John Wayne wasnt anything special acting wise.

The latest version of True Grit is the best. Jeff Bridges is 10x the actor than the Duke ever thought of being.

I cant stand when people put John Wayne on a pedestal. Clint Eastwood and Robert Duvall are WAY better, so is Kevin Costner.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:22 pm

birddogger wrote:
Ron R wrote:Who do you think would win in a gunfight, Wil Munny or Rooster Cogburn? I say Wil Munny......10 times out of 10 Rooster looses that battle.
Wil Munny all the way! Rooster would have said fill your hand you S... and it would be all over.

Charlie
I think J.B Books would have Smoked Wil Munny

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:28 pm

I watched both of the flicks, rented the John Wayne True grit then watched the new true grit a few days ago

I liked John Wayne as rooster cogburn, I felt John Wayne did a better job of showing his affection for the young girl as the movie wore on. From the spanking the ranger gave her and JW's reaction, to the snake pit and the ride back.

I liked the Texas ranger better in the JW movie, didn't care for Matt Damion playing the ranger at all.

the girl, meh not sure. both did a fine job. The movies started the scenes different and the girl had a different feel because of it. I liked them both, even though they had a different feel.

that said, I liked the new true grit better overall. I really enjoyed the extra stuff they threw in and I liked the darker feel. From the hanging man in the tree, and the traiding of the body, the man on the mule with the bear skin. I really liked all that, wish it would have flowed better though. The extras felt choppy, tossed in to make the movie a bit different than John Waynes True Grit.

Pepper was the best character in the new true grit, don't know that actors name but dang he nailed Robert Duvall. gotta give pepper big props, excellent job in both movies.

I didn't like the dude with the powder burns on his face in the new movie much either, John Waynes movie was better imo.

all in all BOTH movies are worth having, I'll purchase them both and stack them side by side.

I like my westerns realistic, dark and bloody. I really liked the shootout in Open range, thats my idea of a western shootout.

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:13 pm

I know this is not a western or True Grit but, since this is a dog forum I thought some of you young guys might want to check out a old Disney movie "The Biscuit Eater". Kind of poor acting you would expect from a early 70's film but the story is right in a bird dog persons wheel house.

Think I'll post a new subject on it and see how many remember this movie!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Onk wrote:I know this is not a western or True Grit but, since this is a dog forum I thought some of you young guys might want to check out a old Disney movie "The Biscuit Eater". Kind of poor acting you would expect from a early 70's film but the story is right in a bird dog persons wheel house.

Think I'll post a new subject on it and see how many remember this movie!
Explain this
Kind of poor acting you would expect from a early 70's film
This made wonder what you are talking about.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:39 pm

What I mean ezzy is the early 70's acting and films were great in my youth but, like almost everything when you look back on it in your later years it kind of seems cheesy! Just like when I see the old pictures of me sporting a porn stache and mullet! CHEESY as all get out, maybe even on the creepy side of things! :lol:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:13 am

gittrdonebritts wrote:
birddogger wrote:

Charlie
I think J.B Books would have Smoked Wil Munny
I don't know...It would depend on how much whisky Wil had drank. If he was trashed, he would take J.B. That being said, I think Josey Wales would have taken 'em both, probably at the same time. JMO

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:46 am

gittrdonebritts wrote:I think J.B Books would have Smoked Wil Munny
Aint no man that has to sit on a pillow gonna whoop Will Munny.....at anything.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:41 pm

I went out to see the movie the first week it was out. Totally prepared for it to suck. I actually liked it. It was different, but no less striking than the original in scenery. I am a HUGE John Wayne fan - and as you know, my dog is named Rooster J. Cogburn. So.... I was prepared to hate the new movie. However, I was pleasantly suprised that I didn't hate it. It wasn't The Duke. But nobody can be him. I thought the new movie did a good job of following the book - which I have just recently re-read because of the new movie! So, it was a good thing overall I guess.

On that note though - can't they come up with some original movie ideas anymore - or are we stuck with remakes for the next decade?

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:47 pm

RoostersMom wrote: as you know, my dog is named Rooster J. Cogburn
My first Britt was Named Rooster after Cogburn
KFhunter wrote:Pepper was the best character in the new true grit, don't know that actors name but dang he nailed Robert Duvall
Barry Pepper Played Lucky Ned and he did a great Job playing the kinda dirty tough Outlaw that Lucky Ned was in the Orginal Movie and in the Book.
Ron R wrote:Aint no man that has to sit on a pillow gonna whoop Will Munny.....at anything.
Get over it even in his old age J.B. would have cut him down for will even cleared leather while he was sitting on his Cat house Pillow but Charlie is Right Josey Wales would have killed em both while he was carrying a sack full of Groceries

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:53 pm

+1!!!!!!

Slaeghunder

Post by Slaeghunder » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:41 pm

I thought it was better than the original, but then I wasn't a big fan of the original because it deviated so much from the book (If you are a fan of a book, you almost always will not be a fan of the movie) - The new movie was much closer to the book.

OUBobcat06

Post by OUBobcat06 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:09 pm

And here I thought this thread was going to be a discussion about the merits of Granite vs. Oyster Shell grit for my new pigeon loft 8)

I loved both movies... I don't always like Jeff Bridges (hated The Big Lebowski)... but I really enjoyed the remake... These days I like pretty much any film that doesn't involve giant robots exploding though... I'm so sick of special effects... I just want a solid plot, good acting, directing, photography and editing... I don't need to see any more explosions...

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:22 am

I actually enjoyed the 3-10 to Yuma remake, but this discussion has urged me to rent the original. I have netflix and my next 3 movies are the original 3-10 to Yuma, the old True Grit and the new True Grit, in that order. I am interested to see the differences. I love John Wayne films but I do love "dark" films also. Happy summer vacation to me!

Bill

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:27 pm

I'm with you Bill I enjoyed the new 3-10 to Yuma also. Of course when they only make about 2 western movies every 7 or 8 years you about have to like what comes out! My number one all time western is still " The Outlaw Josey Wales"! There are many close seconds but that movie has everything in it!

tn red

Post by tn red » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:10 pm

If you want an opinion mine is there hasnt been a great western since Lonesome Dove!Its not really a western but i liked Last of the dogmen its worth watching

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:30 pm

Onk wrote:... " The Outlaw Josey Wales"...
Must say that while the "U" movie was...ok...those westerns of Eastwood and his sphagetti work are some that I avoid like the plague.
Good actor tho.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:28 pm

tn red wrote: Last of the dogmen its worth watching
I enjoyed it as well not a full blown western in my Opinion but still a good movie.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:12 pm

gittrdonebritts wrote:wondering who else saw it and what they thought ?
Just watched it and was pleasently suprised. I like it as well as the original and I really like the young girl in the re-make. Much more so than the extremely annoying girl in the original. BTW, I was one of the folks that was sickend when I heard they were re-making True Grit but I was wrong.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:17 pm

tn red wrote:If you want an opinion mine is there hasnt been a great western since Lonesome Dove!
Ron R wrote:modern westerns such as Unforgiven(GREATEST COWBOY MOVIE OF ALL TIME), Apoloosa, and Open Range. I will also include Broken Trail and Lonesome Dove.
tn red, you didn't like these movies? I would add Deadwood to that list as well. And I agree that Last of the Dogmen was a good movie.

tn red

Post by tn red » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:08 pm

Unforgiven was a good one Ron.Pale Rider,Jerimiah Johnson(liver eating Johnson one crazy sob),Josey Wales is up there too but i could watch all the Lonesome Doves series over & over.