needs advice (pigeon trap, bird liscense?

Vaoutdoors42

needs advice (pigeon trap, bird liscense?

Post by Vaoutdoors42 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:42 am

My name is John and live in Northern Virginia. I will be getting my first dog this August. It will be a male GSP from Matt Smith (Schulhaus Kennel). The pups will be born in late July.... I have read many books and articles and have defeintly been on this site reading topics and comments to help prepare me. I also have went and experienced a day at the NAVHDA (Potomac Chapter) and seen what its all about...very cool. I have seen the best thing for a pup...is birds, birds, birds. Introduce the pup to birds early and often. I understand you can buy birds..but do you require a dog training license of some sort? How do I go about getting one? I also know you can buy birds but have seen some topics regarding pigeon traps and thought that would be a good way for me to have birds to use on the day which I was going to work my dog or just to introduce the pup to a pigeon or two. I was going to buy a bird bag and a pigeon harness to keeep the pigeon on the ground for the puppy...

SO...
Va residents requires some liscense to posses birds for training and if so how do i get this?

Are there certain game laws for trapping wild pigeons etc?

Any suggestions on a good pigeon trap?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: needs advice (pigeon trap, bird liscense?

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:17 am

We use a Pied Piper brand trap. Pigeons are considered a non-native species and there are no requirements for trapping them non-commercially in my state. Check with your state Ag and Wildlife departments for specifics where you live. We bait with corn.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:21 am

Cajun Casey wrote:We use a Pied Piper brand trap.
same as the one on lcs and gun dog supply.

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:02 am

Hi John,

Schulhaus Kennel produces beautiful GSP's. My GSP Cleo shares some bloodlines with those pups. You won't be disapointed!

~Robyn
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:11 am

Vaoutdoors42 wrote:My name is John and live in Northern Virginia. I will be getting my first dog this August. It will be a male GSP from Matt Smith (Schulhaus Kennel). The pups will be born in late July.... I have read many books and articles and have defeintly been on this site reading topics and comments to help prepare me. I also have went and experienced a day at the NAVHDA (Potomac Chapter) and seen what its all about...very cool. I have seen the best thing for a pup...is birds, birds, birds. Introduce the pup to birds early and often. I understand you can buy birds..but do you require a dog training license of some sort? How do I go about getting one? I also know you can buy birds but have seen some topics regarding pigeon traps and thought that would be a good way for me to have birds to use on the day which I was going to work my dog or just to introduce the pup to a pigeon or two. I was going to buy a bird bag and a pigeon harness to keeep the pigeon on the ground for the puppy...

SO...
Va residents requires some liscense to posses birds for training and if so how do i get this?

Are there certain game laws for trapping wild pigeons etc?

Any suggestions on a good pigeon trap?
hi john, congrats on the new pup to be :D you can also google CARDED PIGEONS as an option for using them for training...good luck and have fun...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:14 am

I absolutely second the recommendation that you contact your state Fish and Wildlife Department and find out everything you need to have in place.

I would punch up the Fish and wildlife website and read the code. Then I would talk to someone in enforcement.

There may well be restrictions on what you can do, in terms of training on public lands and there aree all different kinds of public lands...State Wildlife Management areas, State Forests, National Forests, State Parks, State or national Wildlife refuges, etc. The regulations for each may be different. Regulations for training on private land may well be different altogether. You need to know...for certain...wht needs to be done where.

First thing I would make sure of, is that I had a current resident hunting license and that I had it with me when I was training my dog.

RayG

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Hey, hows it going. Im from lynchburg va, i used to live in ashburn & was a manager at the Texas Roadhouse in chantilly for a bit. Depending on what part of NOVA you are in this may be a good place for you to stip away for a days training. Not to far & you can getr birds & training grounds to use. Im going to pick up my new pup tomorrow & plan on traveling there some myself!
fg

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:40 pm

oops, here is the link! http://www.orapax.com/