US Open Pheasant Championship

Onk

Re: US Open Pheasant Championship

Post by Onk » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:30 am

Ahumphers91a wrote: And what weekend hunter hasn't run with a gun? REALLY, we all have!

Sorry but I for one am a guy that has not! Of course I have yet to find anything in this world worth running for except a good home cooked meal!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:31 pm

I think I may have run a time or two when training a dog but I don't run when hunting as there is no need to. If the dog points I tend to slow down maybe to a complete stop as I wait for other hunters to get into position, or taking a picture, or sometimes just to make the dog hold that point longer. I have gotten to the point of not worrying about getting the bird. I am in the field to watch the dogs work, to spend time with friends, and trying to keep in shape. Always nice to find birds for the dogs sake but once you shoot the rest of the hunting experience is all work. I like to come home with a bird or two as they are good on the table but it sure isn't a priority and sure isn't worth the risk of an accident that could be prevented.

JMO

Ezzy

PS Plus I don't think I can run if I wanted to.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:58 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I think I may have run a time or two when training a dog but I don't run when hunting as there is no need to. If the dog points I tend to slow down maybe to a complete stop as I wait for other hunters to get into position, or taking a picture, or sometimes just to make the dog hold that point longer. I have gotten to the point of not worrying about getting the bird. I am in the field to watch the dogs work, to spend time with friends, and trying to keep in shape. Always nice to find birds for the dogs sake but once you shoot the rest of the hunting experience is all work. I like to come home with a bird or two as they are good on the table but it sure isn't a priority and sure isn't worth the risk of an accident that could be prevented.

JMO

Ezzy

PS Plus I don't think I can run if I wanted to.
Some of the guys that say they run while hunting should come bird hunt with me and Ezzy sometime and see how much fun we have even if we don't shoot a bird the whole time out.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:15 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:And what weekend hunter hasn't run with a gun? REALLY, we all have!
I honestly don't think I have either.....but I also hunt a few days during the week, not just the weekend.
gittrdonebritts wrote:while hunting should come bird hunt with me and Ezzy sometime and see how much fun we have even if we don't shoot a bird the whole time out.

Me and Charlie will meet up with you guys this season or you two can come here and afterwards we can cut a couple coonhounds loose if you like.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:29 pm

And what weekend hunter hasn't run with a gun? REALLY, we all have!
Guilty, though probably less 100 times. Maybe in my old age I'll just let the dogs fight with coons, possum,skunks, and other dogs but now I'll continue to jog over and deal with hunting situations when they come up. Anyone ever watch the Outdoor Channel's shooting events? Seems like 75% of competitions on there, involve with running with guns. I'll return to my glass house now.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:12 pm

Ron R wrote:Me and Charlie will meet up with you guys this season or you two can come here and afterwards we can cut a couple coonhounds loose if you like.
Sounds Awesome !

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:56 pm

If i had a dog i had to run too I'd get rid of him quick, I like to stroll on up enjoying the sight as I go.

Now also there is a big difference running by yourself on a section of land and running with a gallery in range. These fields they run on are what 5-7 acres.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:33 pm

5-7 acres, I could cover that in a few steps and so could Charlie, Joe, and Jess. Now Ron might have to run to keep up but the rest of us would be all right. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:51 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:5-7 acres, I could cover that in a few steps and so could Charlie, Joe, and Jess. Now Ron might have to run to keep up but the rest of us would be all right. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:10 pm

Sigh ... I nevecr get invited anywhere

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Joe if your ever In IL your welcome to come :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:25 am

tommyboy72 wrote:5-7 acres, I could cover that in a few steps and so could Charlie, Joe, and Jess. Now Ron might have to run to keep up but the rest of us would be all right. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I think that you have that backwards :lol: .
Chukar12 wrote:Sigh ... I nevecr get invited anywhere
Come on down Joe, we would love to have you :D .
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:40 am

Chukar12 wrote:Sigh ... I nevecr get invited anywhere
then maybe you should do the inviting :idea: from the looks of your pics we could all come to your camp for a weekend, i always wanted to be a "california girl" :lol: ..ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:25 am

Seems to me there trials are for people that are mostly weekend hunters, whats wrong with that? No weekend hunter cares if his dog breaks after flush, they care about the dog finding the bird, pointing (or flushing) and retrieving back to him. And what weekend hunter hasn't run with a gun? REALLY, we all have!
There is nothing wrong with the format I think it does suit the majority of hunting dogs best...and I have run with a gun, I also shoplifted a Rapala lure when I was 13, I bought stolen mag rims when I was 17. I got caught in both cases and it made my momma cry. Broke my heart. So in the same time frame when I was out of my poppas sight I probably took too many safety risks. I have learned better since then.

Look at my pity invitations...works every time. Thank you all, I have to quit work, it is severely limiting my dog my dog activities...I wish I had been born rich instead of so dammed good looking.
then maybe you should do the inviting from the looks of your pics we could all come to your camp for a weekend, i always wanted to be a "california girl" ..ruth
Those getting to the west coast know where to find me, I am happy to show folks around that desert...it is plenty big...Now Ruth, this California girl thing...I hunt a bit in California, but more in Nevada...and you want to be very cautious about refering to yourself as a "Nevada Girl" It is not a universal issue but there are some stereotypes to concern yourself with :o