Discourage marking and unwanted male behaviors?

gdog

Discourage marking and unwanted male behaviors?

Post by gdog » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:40 pm

Getting a new pup...first male dog. Have always had females. Dog will spend time in the house at night with my spayed female. Can you curtail (excessive) marking and other non-desired male traits through obedience/training? In the field my female will mark every coyote pile we come upon, so I know some of that is going to happen...I'm more concerned in regards to manners around the house. I don't want every piece of lawn furniture or deck used for target practice.

I will be crate training the dog and was thinking about putting it on a leash and taking to middle of yard to urinate. If I did that every time and not let the dog urinate onto something....could this be made into a good habit (hopefully that makes sense)....or does that just go with the territory of a male dog?

Sue

Re: Discourage marking and unwanted male behaviors?

Post by Sue » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:25 am

FWIW, I had an intact male and female living in the house together with no problems for about a year (our female is now spayed). I simply house trained each as one would normally do. As a young male, we had maybe half a dozen incidents of marking total, but I was so closely supervising him that I was able to interrupt him in the act with a "ah ah!... let's go outside!" and that was all it took. So basically I handled the tiny bit of marking as a house training issue. Also, I have not had any problems with any sort of "male behavior" such as humping and such. If anything, its my female that bosses the boy around! Incidentally, I have found that usually the females are in charge of the males, even if smaller and younger, in my limited experience of two such pairs.

With regards to peeing outdoors, well to a certain extent you can direct the action, but also be smart about strategy, working with his instinctive desires. I placed a nice piece of firewood, unsplit, next to a bush he liked to pee on. The new target was attractive and he has taken the bait. He does not show any inclination to pee on deck furniture, just plants and rocks. Its really not that big a deal. Its a live and let live thing. If you are a guy, go out and pee with him. He'll follow your lead. :)

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:42 am

my male still squats like a female and hes almost a year and a half old :? BUT when we are in petsmart he will sniff the posts ect and i pull his lead and say NO so he dont get any ideas of lifting a leg to mark :D ..i would say when you get the pup if the pup is shown on a leash where the areas are he can GO he will stick to it..ive never had a dog mark in my house or on my things outside but if i did i would put electric fencing there and stop it quickly :lol: JUST KIDDING!! DONT DO THAT, seriously though i dont think you will have an issue if you just use a leash for a while when you take pup out and show him where to go :wink: ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:59 am

We have an old Fire hydrant that mom used for her male dog then she passed it down for duke to use now Gunther will have the joys of using it :) But he has yet to lift a leg thank the lord. Heck my boys have even used it. We have 3 bathrooms in our house but why use them when you can pee outside ? Good thing we are out in the middle of gods country :o
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:02 am

My last male was only allowed to hike his leg on trees, and bushes. Not on tires, grills, chairs, the house, etc...

A buddy trained one of his trial dogs to not hike his leg at all. That is the route I'm going with this pup. Praise for squatting, amd a light tug on the leash when he gets to curious about where someone else hiked their leg.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:22 am

None and I mean none on my male dogs mark in the field. Nothing worse than being a judge and watching dogs mark everything on the grounds while in a brace. There's a cure for that. A collar. They all squat and pee.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:45 am

"There's a cure for that. A collar."

So when he's running and hunting then stops and is about to hike his leg, you correct? Do you use a word or just give immediate correction? Never owned a male dog.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:17 am

Redfishkilla wrote:"There's a cure for that. A collar."

So when he's running and hunting then stops and is about to hike his leg, you correct? Do you use a word or just give immediate correction? Never owned a male dog.
I never say a word. Just nick them as soon as they lift they're leg.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:18 am

I thought that would probably work, thanks Ken.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:21 am

I have never had a barking problem in the field, there just too busy hunting. Edit, meant mark :)

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:38 am

The problem you have at a trial is there are so many male dogs and a few will mark. Then it becomes a challenge to them all. I hate it. Same thing in the field. When it's time to hunt, when it time to run, run. If they have to go then they can, but not by marking.

Sue

Post by Sue » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:42 am

kensfishing wrote:
I never say a word. Just nick them as soon as they lift they're leg.
Oh Dear! You fellas really are serious about your hunting, aren't you! :P

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:44 am

When i first got Duece, he liked to mark a lot right before entering the field and occasionally in the field. But as Ken said, the collar is probably your best friend for that.

TXLabMan

Post by TXLabMan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:01 am

wow, never knew outdoor marking was such an issue with male dog owners. Just housebreak the dog and tell him no when he hikes his leg on outdoor items you dont want. Not that big of a deal, or at least for me. My male is Lab is getting up there in age, I could care less what or where he marks as long as it is outside, they do develop some commons sence with age. My suggestion would be general obediance and a good relationship with the dog, that way when he starts to hike his leg on your BBQ grill, you simply say "not there" and he knows what you mean. Worse case he pees on your truck tire a few times, who cares?

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:02 am

Would you rather your dog be marking at a trial or pointing birds?

TXLabMan

Post by TXLabMan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:10 am

That is a good point, I dont trial dogs. When I bird hunt, I sure dont mind it if the pointers want to run around, poop, hike and do their thing before taking off. But i do see where it could be annoying in a trial situation. In my situation, I have an old retired retriever, makes my day to see him run around, poop, hike his leg and do his thing, dont care at this point if he wants to pee on my BBQ grill, or on my front porch (but he wont). I try to sweat the bigger things.

gdog

Post by gdog » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Appreciate the responses.
TXLabMan wrote:wow, never knew outdoor marking was such an issue with male dog owners. Just housebreak the dog and tell him no when he hikes his leg on outdoor items you dont want. Not that big of a deal......Worse case he pees on your truck tire a few times, who cares?
Not a big deal...simple question actually....but If you can curtail the behavior from the beginning...why not? To each his own...but if the dog lifts his leg on my bbq or porch, he''ll quickly understand thats not preferred behavior. I'd rather not have my house smelling like a kennel. Simple obedience I would believe.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:58 pm

gdog wrote:Appreciate the responses.
TXLabMan wrote:wow, never knew outdoor marking was such an issue with male dog owners. Just housebreak the dog and tell him no when he hikes his leg on outdoor items you dont want. Not that big of a deal......Worse case he pees on your truck tire a few times, who cares?
Not a big deal...simple question actually....but If you can curtail the behavior from the beginning...why not? To each his own...but if the dog lifts his leg on my bbq or porch, he''ll quickly understand thats not preferred behavior. I'd rather not have my house smelling like a kennel. Simple obedience I would believe.
Exactly. My property is not a urinal...

TXLabMan

Post by TXLabMan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:34 pm

I agree--probably a bad example on my part. I think the marking can be discouraged, I know it can be discouraged on some things, not sure about all the time all things. Good luck with the pup

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:57 pm

TXLabMan wrote:I agree--probably a bad example on my part. I think the marking can be discouraged, I know it can be discouraged on some things, not sure about all the time all things. Good luck with the pup
It all comes down to what matters to you.

I don't teach my dogs to sit. In my eyes stay is enough. I don't care what they do, stand, sit, lay...

asc

Post by asc » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:14 pm

Haqd an old male years back that became more of a pet, loved riding in the boat. We took him offshore fishing one time and middle of the day he got uncomfortable(needed to go) paced back and forth, whinning. I finally went back to the scupper hole and marked my spot :D old dog went back sniffed and promptly hiked his leg and relieved himself. He was one happy dog.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:08 am

I have two intact males, both still squat about 80% of the time. My younger dog was going through a phase where he would attempt to mark in a house with another dog, at Petsmart, etc. I just keep an eye on him if he goes to sniff he gets a little yank - because I know with him if he's gonna sniff it, he's gonna piss on it.

As for going to other peoples' houses, I was keeping him on a leash for about 15-20 minutes and then all was well after that. He seems to have curtailed if not stopped this behavior and has been great at my parents, inlaws, and mountain house. No attempts whatsoever!! I still am very mindful of his behavior though, especially in a pet store - just too many other dog pee smells everywhere.

You'll know when your pup is going to mark something eventually and just be diligent and consistent with your corrections and you shouldn't have a problem.

Neither of them marks in the field - they will take a potty break but will not pee on every bush, shrub, or clump of grass. They know the deal.
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615