Observations on my 5 month old DD

44magnum

Observations on my 5 month old DD

Post by 44magnum » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:43 pm

I've been very impressed for the most part. My experience in dogs before this has been in owning and training cattle dogs. I will say that this has been harder than cattle dogs in some ways, mostly due to the different natures of the jobs the dogs are doing. Hunting dogs are by nature more independent than cattle dogs and that is something I'm getting used to. Not bad, just different.

When we go out in the field he adjusts his search according to the terrain. He doesn't range out really far yet but he's still pretty young. In the woods he sticks pretty close and in the desert he ranges out farther.

He's met pigeons and pheasants now and shows incredible drive around them. He points some of the time and we are working on holding point when he does. He tracks everything he comes across and I'm working on focusing that to birds. I'm a guy who likes to hunt everything I can so I am going to hunt fur with him but so far, I can tell the fur part will take care of itself.

I introduced him to water the other day and once he realized it wasn't scary, he was swimming like a muskrat.

He plays great with other dogs. I've been really impressed with how well he gets along with other dogs even when they are aggressive towards him. He is also great with my three little boys. They are 8,7, and 5. The older two take him for walks and feed him and do a great job and he's usually pretty easy for them to handle.
I get lots of comments about him wherever I go. He now heels and sits well and comes and lies down pretty good. We work on obedience a lot and while he is hard headed, he's finally learning that I'm the boss and he's decided that he needs to make me happy.

In all, I'm very happy with him! I can't wait to hunt over him this fall.

troutbum13

Re: Observations on my 5 month old DD

Post by troutbum13 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:28 pm

nice post...I just got my DD and I am also excited. What kennel is your pup out of?

44magnum

Re: Observations on my 5 month old DD

Post by 44magnum » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:07 pm

Mine is out of vom Drakehaus in South Carolina. His parents are Quessi vom Schinkelberg and Bento Von den Meadowlakes.

Where is your pup from?