Any runners ?

JessiNGunther

Any runners ?

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:30 am

I know Gunther is to young yet but as soon as I can I want to take him out running with me. I use to take our lab Duke but the poor old man just cant go very far any more.
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

dugger13

Re: Any runners ?

Post by dugger13 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:06 am

I run with my Wirehair. He loves it.

LincolnAlexander

Post by LincolnAlexander » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:10 am

I have just started running but trying to build up my endurance first before I take Lincoln with me because I hate that 'why are you going so slow?' look :lol:
CanCH Stonepoint's the Missing Link FD, RDX, V (Lincoln)
NorthLink Mattie's Bayou Shade NAVHDA NAII (108) (Shade)
NorthLink's Shaken Not Stirred NAVHDA NAI (112) (Olive)
http://www.northlinkweimaraners.com

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:12 am

digger how far do you guys run ? I not one to run miles and miles . It's been a while but duke and i use to do about a mile or two walk jog run repete

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:16 am

LincolnAlexander wrote:I have just started running but trying to build up my endurance first before I take Lincoln with me because I hate that 'why are you going so slow?' look :lol:
Try H.I.I.T to build up your endurance Works best for me on a treadmill I started out at Running 6.3 MPH for 30 sec. Then put my feet on the side of the treadmill for 30sec repete that for 15 min then i built up from there.

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:19 am

I run with both my GSPs from time to time. I actually outran the young one (he's about a year old now.) It was high 70s-low 80s one morning. He made it about a mile and I was practically dragging him behind me so we had to walk/jog the rest of the 3 miles! The other one could run all day no matter the temp! I typically go 4-5 miles with them.

Bill

LincolnAlexander

Post by LincolnAlexander » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:26 am

JessiNGunther wrote:Try H.I.I.T to build up your endurance Works best for me on a treadmill I started out at Running 6.3 MPH for 30 sec. Then put my feet on the side of the treadmill for 30sec repete that for 15 min then i built up from there.
Funny I just heard about this for the first time from a Marathon runner using this method and saying she liked it. Don't have a treadmill at this point, I typically go running around my neighborhood right now and my endurance is not too bad as I am in decent shape but it is nothing compared to Lincoln's... give me a bike though and it is a different story!
CanCH Stonepoint's the Missing Link FD, RDX, V (Lincoln)
NorthLink Mattie's Bayou Shade NAVHDA NAII (108) (Shade)
NorthLink's Shaken Not Stirred NAVHDA NAI (112) (Olive)
http://www.northlinkweimaraners.com

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:27 am

BillGraves wrote: I typically go 4-5 miles with them.Bill
Wow 4-5 miles I now feel like a frumpy middle-aged hack I'll get there one day Better yet my dog will drag me there :mrgreen:

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:30 am

Funny I just heard about this for the first time from a Marathon runner using this method and saying she liked it. Don't have a treadmill at this point, I typically go running around my neighborhood right now and my endurance is not too bad as I am in decent shape but it is nothing compared to Lincoln's... give me a bike though and it is a different story!
I go to the gym and use their treadmill. :D I use to ride my Mt. Bike 20 miles 3 day a week Then I broke my arm at 30 doing something stupid on my bike . I need to get back to that .......someday

mudpuppy1299

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:11 am

My vizsla(Roo) and I usually run 5 days per week for 6 to 8 miles. We run on singletrack trails, so it's easier on both of us. I know what you mean about the "why are you going so slow look;" I could be an Olympic athlete and not keep up with Roo!

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:59 am

Remy started running with me in December and we ran together all the way up until the Fargo Marathon on May 21. He ran in -20 weather to more than 80, and everything from 3 miles to 8 without a whimper (until the warmer weather, that is. Now he poops out after 2 or 3 miles).

Funny thing: I started running because of him. Now, I like to run just for the fun of it. So, in a sense, dogs are good for your health! :mrgreen:

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:54 am

The only way I am going to run is if there is a mean pitbull chasing me or if there is someone with a golfcart and a steak on a fishing pole driving in front of me to motivate me. :lol:

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:05 am

tommyboy72 wrote:The only way I am going to run is if there is a mean pitbull chasing me or if there is someone with a golfcart and a steak on a fishing pole driving in front of me to motivate me. :lol:
Oh now thats funny !
I m not a big runner but it's fun and I mix mine with jogging and walking.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:14 am

I ran for years and worked out for years and just got burned out on it. After 2 years of Junior High, 4 years of High School and 3 years of College football and then working out for years after college to stay in shape in my 20's and early 30's I was burned out. Now I am 38 fat, out of shape, smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and sit behind a computer and radio all day 4 days a week 10 hours a day at the sheriff's office for my job. I probably really do need to work out but just can't force myself to do it. Days off are spent chasing my 2 year old and 3.5 year old son around as well as running 2 adult dogs and training 2 pups. I can still get out and hike the high desert country we have here but don't ask me to run a marathon or 2 blocks for that matter. :lol:

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:33 am

My vet cleared kimber to run a mile with me at 4 months and she did it without slowing down and made me increase my speed.

I don't see any probkems in running him at his current age. I would just use a flexi leash and go at his pace. He should be good for as far as you want him to go. If he slows or stops just walk the rest of the way and build his endurance.

If you wait till he is 8-10 months he might drag you the whole way.

mudpuppy1299

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:37 pm

I run my pup off leash on trails; we've been doing this since she was 4 months old. As long as the pup is running at their own pace, they should be o.k. My pup will sprint ahead, hunt for chipmunks until I catch up, and then repeat. She goes at her own pace and can do this for 8 miles now. As long as you do it on a soft surface and don't force her to stay at your pace, you should be ok starting with short distances.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:49 pm

I used to run, yes I did, laff all you want :) but I remember finding money and other valuables on runs :) Oh no I let the secret out :)

My daughter is a long distance runner, she will run with her dog 10 or more miles, dog loves it.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:54 pm

We are headed to the vets on tuesday and we shall go from there . I want to get back into it with Gunther because if I wait he'll out run me. I have a personal trainer now and do a lot of workouts in the gym but that does nothing for my poor energy filled puppy.

OUBobcat06

Post by OUBobcat06 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:31 pm

JessiNGunther wrote:
Try H.I.I.T to build up your endurance Works best for me on a treadmill I started out at Running 6.3 MPH for 30 sec. Then put my feet on the side of the treadmill for 30sec repete that for 15 min then i built up from there.
HIIT is the way to go... 10-15 minutes of interval training can burn as many calories as a 45 minute jog.. plus it builds fast-twitch/bigger muscles instead of leaner muscles... I do it with jump-roping.. 30 seconds on, 15 seconds off for about 10-15 minutes.

I wasn't sure how it'd translate to actual running, but I went out last night and ran about 2 miles with no problem... and I have NEVER ran two miles... ever..lol

I'm also trying to get in better shape for when my new pup arrives... can't have her showing me up when we hit the path!

Onk

Post by Onk » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Why are you all running? I know gas is high but come on!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:45 pm

Onk too funny. I run because I want to be a healthy mom I have 2 boys that are full of energy and now a gsp with even more energy!
Last edited by JessiNGunther on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Wish my wife would be a health mom. All she does is sit on the couch and growl at me. :lol:

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:26 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Wish my wife would be a health mom. All she does is sit on the couch and growl at me.
yeah cant force her she has to do it in her own time.

As shallow as this sounds it's all true word for word . A little something about me LOL
I don't want to be a fat mom I want to be the buff hot mom that plays tag with her kids that can hike up the side of the mountain. I don't want people to say to my kids wow your mom is fat. I want to live my life to the fullest and you cant do that sitting on the park bench watching your kids. I was the athlete in high school then I got married had 2 kids and was fat . Like wicked fat. One day something just clicked and I put down the bag of chips and beer and just started walking and lifting weights and i'm not talking about little 2 pound weight I mean man weights. Im no body builder far from it because I LOVE MAN FOOD BEER AND HOT WINGS . But I want to get back to where I use to be or at lest as close as I can get so i'll be able to keep up with every one when we're out hunting. I don't want to be the in the camp wife club I want to be out hunting not sitting back at camp. And My Hubby Loves to Hear " Man Tom your wife is so cool she does every thing with you" So thats why I work out and why i'm going to start running so Gunther does not go nuts.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:47 pm

Well good for you. Maybe by the time my boys get into High School football I will go ahead and get back in shape so I can work out with them and be able to coach them up. For now though I am happy and content being fat. :lol:

By the way I love hot wings and beer myself. :D

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:02 pm

By the way I love hot wings and beer myself.
I <3 Hooters !!! best fast food wings But if we are at home and having a big get together my Tommy Makes KILLER hot wings !!!!

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:08 pm

I tried to mt. bike with my older dog a couple times in the woods but he didn't want to stay on the trail, and if he did, he was WAY the heck out front. I also took him along on a horseback ride my dad and I did a while back. 3 hrs. straight at full gas and only laid down for about 5 minutes when we got back to the barn. He was keeping up with us at a full gallop! I CANNOT wear this dog out!

Bill

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:19 pm

I used to have a bunch of friends that run but they all have died.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:34 pm

ezzy333 wrote:I used to have a bunch of friends that run but they all have died.

Ezzy
Omg ezzy I just spit my big girl drink out my nose. Gosh I hope your just funning because that's some funny stuff right there!

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:39 pm

BillGraves wrote:I tried to mt. bike with my older dog a couple times in the woods but he didn't want to stay on the trail, and if he did, he was WAY the heck out front. I also took him along on a horseback ride my dad and I did a while back. 3 hrs. straight at full gas and only laid down for about 5 minutes when we got back to the barn. He was keeping up with us at a full gallop! I CANNOT wear this dog out!

Bill
Don't know if your old enough or not but back in the 90's they had a thing you could attach to the back end of your bike that held your dogs leash. I saw a lady using one one time and her dog spun her into a 180 I thought she was going to crash but she some how pulled out of it.

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:01 am

Something like this:?
http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/walkydog- ... leash.html

I have always been a little leery of this because of that same thing. My dog could see something off to the side and WHAM...I'm down for the count.

Bill

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:53 am

BillGraves wrote:Something like this:?
http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/walkydog- ... leash.html

I have always been a little leery of this because of that same thing. My dog could see something off to the side and WHAM...I'm down for the count.

Bill
Yes! Well kinda it was a bar that attached to the seat but looked like an S. I know in a heart beat Gunther would spaz and I would be toast :)

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:23 am

ezzy333 wrote:I used to have a bunch of friends that run but they all have died.

Ezzy
:lol: :lol: maybe its best to not take up running then ezzy :wink: ...i dont run as much as i walk..i have 5 girls so im busy but i love to just take a few hours with the dogs and hubby and go walking on trails at least 3 times a week, we go threw woods and bush and see whats out there..we came across a homeless man once named Ray and got to talking to him about why he was living in the bush and he said he just got to hate people and he said if he dont have nothin his ex wife cant take nothin :lol: interesting man he was, i bet he really appreciated my dog wizzing on his tent :roll: :oops: ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Retiredbirddogman

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:45 pm

I take my 10 month old GSP with me 2-3 days a week and we run two or three miles. She used to tire at about 1.5 miles but she did not the last time we ran. We run between a 9 and 10 minute mile. Not fast but a good cardio workout for us both.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:48 pm

JessiNGunther wrote:

Ezzy
Omg ezzy I just spit my big girl drink out my nose. Gosh I hope your just funning because that's some funny stuff right there!
Ezzy is old as Dirt so I'm guessing he isn't joking :|

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Ezzy is old as Dirt so I'm guessing he isn't joking
OH DANG!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:02 pm

gittrdonebritts wrote:
JessiNGunther wrote:

Ezzy
Ezzy is old as Dirt so I'm guessing he isn't joking :|
You are right but they all dies several years ago. Two with heart attacks, one with a stroke, and one just worried himself to death. He was afraid he might put on a pound. We used to show dogs together and our main topic of conversation was about how I needed to lose weight or I was going to die young. I always told him I would live longer since I didn't spend my time worrying about it. Little did I know how right I was going to be. Kind of comes back to everything in moderation and a little common sense.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:26 pm

I figure we all have to die someday and if you believe in religion then you know we don't have a choice of when. If you enjoy sweating and running and lifting weights then more power to you. Personally I enjoy sitting on the couch watching football, drinking beer, and eating hotwings and twinkies. Might as well enjoy life since I can't do anything about when I die. :lol:

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:28 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:I figure we all have to die someday and if you believe in religion then you know we don't have a choice of when. If you enjoy sweating and running and lifting weights then more power to you. Personally I enjoy sitting on the couch watching football, drinking beer, and eating hotwings and twinkies. Might as well enjoy life since I can't do anything about when I die. :lol:
My thought exactly ! 8 yrs of Wrestling and football in school then 6 yrs in the Corps and I gave up on staying in shape, don't regret it I can still keep up with my hunting partner hahaha even though it is Ezzy lol hahahaha

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:33 pm

gittrdonebritts wrote:
tommyboy72 wrote:I figure we all have to die someday and if you believe in religion then you know we don't have a choice of when. If you enjoy sweating and running and lifting weights then more power to you. Personally I enjoy sitting on the couch watching football, drinking beer, and eating hotwings and twinkies. Might as well enjoy life since I can't do anything about when I die. :lol:
My thought exactly ! 8 yrs of Wrestling and football in school then 6 yrs in the Corps and I gave up on staying in shape, don't regret it I can still keep up with my hunting partner hahaha even though it is Ezzy lol hahahaha
now that hes got 2 new hips you better look out GITTRDONEBRITTS, he may leave you in the dust :lol: ...ruth

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:56 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
gittrdonebritts wrote:
now that hes got 2 new hips you better look out GITTRDONEBRITTS, he may leave you in the dust :lol: ...ruth
I can still get up and go when I need to but I'll hit the tread mill for a while before hunting season Just in case :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:03 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
gittrdonebritts wrote:
Ruth, he has no idea how this 77 year old(Last Year) with bad hips had to act like I couldn't go any faster so I wouldn't hurt his feelings, but now that I'm a year older but with good hips I doubt if I can stall long enough to make him feel good. Probably have to find someone that can keep up. Come on down!

Ezzy

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:24 pm

oh i will be there EZZY, with bells on, so you can find me :P i think its only fair i get new hips too though, lord knows after 5 kids i could use em :lol: ....ruth

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:44 pm

Retiredbirddogman wrote:I take my 10 month old GSP with me 2-3 days a week and we run two or three miles. She used to tire at about 1.5 miles but she did not the last time we ran. We run between a 9 and 10 minute mile. Not fast but a good cardio workout for us both.
Are you kidding me?? I would have a heart attack!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:47 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Ruth, he has no idea how this 77 year old(Last Year) with bad hips had to act like I couldn't go any faster so I wouldn't hurt his feelings, but now that I'm a year older but with good hips I doubt if I can stall long enough to make him feel good. Probably have to find someone that can keep up. Come on down!

Ezzy

I can still run circles around you old Man !!! :P :P

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:34 pm

My wife runs with all my GSP's at least 3-10 miles 3 times a week. Training for marathons she has run with them for 22 miles. She runs the Fort Worth Cowtown Ultra (31 miles) and we used 2 dogs for that. The other 7 marathons we also would use 2 dogs. Not that any of them couldn't make the full 26.2 miles. I just like to take advantage of getting three exercised instead of just one. :lol:

She used to run with a retractable hand held leash. Now she uses a short bungee leash off a waist belt with a sled dog harness. I road all of them with normal leather roaring harnesses with the 4 wheeler. I put the Garmin on the dog so I know where she is on the course and can get ahead and watch her as she and the dog run by. The Garmin has been a great help with finding her through the miles of the city roads.

She hast to teach them to run straight and keep a eye on squirrels and other dogs that might cause them to jump sideways and catch her off guard. She gets up at 4:30 to get ready and run and be at work by 7am.

We teach them to heal first and come. Then she takes them on short 1-2 mile runs to get them used to the roads, cars and other distractions.

I wanted her to run with the dogs to have some deterrent for any strangers out there. For her sake, my dogs will bark at strangers.

Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:38 pm

Scott your wife is amazing! !

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:42 pm

I would take up running but I'm afraid of dieing healthy! :D
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:52 am

Onk wrote:I would take up running but I'm afraid of dieing healthy! :D
:lol: :lol: ...ruth

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:54 am

thats great HI-TAILYN, love the pics..only thing is if your wife ever gives up running SOMEONE is going to have to keep up the conditioning those dogs are use to, you better be ready to step up :lol: :wink: ....ruth

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:38 am

Quads are much better to keep conditioning .