OT Truffle Dogs?

Birddogz

OT Truffle Dogs?

Post by Birddogz » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Have any of you in the NW ever known anyone who hunts truffles with dogs? I've heard of bird dogs being used for sheds, why not truffles? I know this is way off topic, just curious if anyone has any experience with finding truffles with dogs.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

birdshot

Re: OT Truffle Dogs?

Post by birdshot » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:48 pm

On Animal Plantet, a couple from Italy used an Italian breed of pointers to hunt truffles in Italy. Looked fun. The dogs hunted like they were looking for birds. I have seen an advertisement for truffle dogs fron Austrailia, those dogs were spaniels.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:59 pm

birdshot wrote:On Animal Plantet, a couple from Italy used an Italian breed of pointers to hunt truffles in Italy. Looked fun. The dogs hunted like they were looking for birds. I have seen an advertisement for truffle dogs fron Austrailia, those dogs were spaniels.
Those dogs were either Bracci or Spinoni. Any dog with a strong nose can be used. A single white truffle sold for over 100k last year. I have had the ones from Oregon on pasta and they are very good.

OUBobcat06

Post by OUBobcat06 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:34 pm

We used our Leonberger to help us hunt may-fries (morel mushrooms) a few times, and it blew my mind how many she found... Don't see any reason a dog with a good nose couldn't hunt truffles...

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:42 pm

Lagotto Romagnallo, I believe. Sort of an Italian poodle. It's only purpose is to hunt for truffles.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:14 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Lagotto Romagnallo, I believe. Sort of an Italian poodle. It's only purpose is to hunt for truffles.
"Lagotto" means "lake" so "dogs of the lake" they are cute buggers but more like a Porti than Poodle.

rmunar1

Post by rmunar1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:02 am

Lagotto Romagnolo is the breed known in europe for truffles. There are 4-year programs for training these dogs for finding and digging truffles. I have one of these dogs and you can find more info in Italy where this is more common.

rmunar1

Post by rmunar1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:20 am

The Lagotto's only purpose is not for truffles. These dogs are the original Italian waterfowl retrievers and they are not poodles. The breed has the intelligence of the poodle, hypoallergic, medium-sized and is excellent in water. I have a son whom is allergic to dogs and we imported a male from Italy in Feb. The dog is 6-months old and has been great so far. He has been easy to train in water and with pigeons for a novice gun dog owner.
I am a avid waterfowl hunter and I had planned on buying a black Lab after my son was 2 years. Then we got hit with the allergies. I was advised of this breed and did the research to find the best breeder I could. So far I am very please with his nose, energy, and retrieving.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:58 pm

rmunar1 wrote:The Lagotto's only purpose is not for truffles. These dogs are the original Italian waterfowl retrievers and they are not poodles. The breed has the intelligence of the poodle, hypoallergic, medium-sized and is excellent in water. I have a son whom is allergic to dogs and we imported a male from Italy in Feb. The dog is 6-months old and has been great so far. He has been easy to train in water and with pigeons for a novice gun dog owner.
I am a avid waterfowl hunter and I had planned on buying a black Lab after my son was 2 years. Then we got hit with the allergies. I was advised of this breed and did the research to find the best breeder I could. So far I am very please with his nose, energy, and retrieving.
Good clarification rmunar - I looked into getting a lagotto some years back for waterfowling *and* truffle hunting, but could not find any working retrievers amongst the breeding population. (Incidentally, they lost their "jobs" as retrievers when Italy's rice paddies were drained 60-70 years ago, and became truffle dogs to survive as a working breed.) I know the Lagotto Romagnolo Club of the UK is trying to restore them to working status afield - you may also be interested in running your pup in HRC (Hunting Retriever Club) and/or NAHRA, the North American Hunting Retriever Association, both of which allow almost all recognized gundogs to compete in their field tests (I ran a spinone some years ago at their senior/master level).

Speaking of spins, they've just been approved for entering AKC retriever hunt tests - the first of the versatile breeds given that distinction outside their traditional pointing realm. Sort of attests to what kind of water dog spins are capable of becoming - as it happens, I run FT Labs, and so far none of them have come close to what my spinone did in waters big and small.

MG

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:37 pm

I am not suprised the Spins were let in. People in NJ with Labs are very impressed when mine gets in the water. They love the water and are very relaxed in the water.

Crakerd, you have a Spin now?

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:36 pm

No, mcbosco, but when I got word from an AKC delegate that spins were in, must admit I got chill bumps at the possibility of having one again with another venue for them to show their stuff. When word came, I was training with my regular field trial group (all Labs, of course) and though she's been gone almost seven years now, they knew of my spin's exploits at Colliers Mills from having run retriever trials there. Remember a NAVHDA member (and retriever field trialer, though I didn't know it at the time) talking about my spin returning 400 yards from a duck search with the bird, citing her "honesty that only the best Lab would appreciate" in taking a straight line through the water and over the beaver flowage there. Lots of folks on this board won't get your comment about spinoni being "relaxed in the water." In retrievers, we call that "water courage" which a lot of breeds, even retrieving breeds, don't have - spins got it in spades.

MG

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:56 pm

I live just east of Colliers Mills how funny.

There is some great water there and this time of year very thick with vegetation so it really tests the dogs.

I know what you mean about water courage. Many people don't know the lump you get in your throat when the dog goes head first into the water at the NJ shore and swims out to the sand bar 100 yards off.

I have a friend with a Spin that hunts ducks at Round Valley, where small craft advisory is pretty common.

Isingoma

Post by Isingoma » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:16 am

Hunting truffles now a days is likely becoming a trend not just because of the the variety of culinary use of it but it also comes with a very high price tag. A lot of people would pay extra just to get a hold of a very delicious, delicate, and hard to find truffles. On the question how expensive truffles really are, you can read and watch this article about truffle hunting to learn more here https://www.trufflemagic.com/blog/magic ... e-hunting/