New Boot time

gittrdonebritts

New Boot time

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:47 pm

Well I threw my old Danners out after almost 8 yrs of service its time for a new pair, I love Danners but am open to suggestions and reviews of brands/styles others have tried thanks,
Joe

jimbo&rooster

Re: New Boot time

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:06 am

Ive currently got a pair of danner sharptails that I picked up this spring and Ive got a pair of Irish setter uplanders that Ive had for about 5-6yrs now. I have worn Irish setter/redwing boots fro about 15yrs now between work and play and have had great results from them. I cant say much about the danners yet because I havnt had a chance to really break them in yet, but I think theyll make a decent pair of boots.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Birddog 307

Post by Birddog 307 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:57 am

If you guys get more than a year on a pair of boots you are not walking enough. I have never got more than a year on a pair of Danners before I wear through the stiching. I sure would like to know if there is a boot out there that would hold up for everyday in the field.
Birddog 307

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:33 am

I would never buy any boot that wasn't unconditionally guaranteed forever. For midwestern soggy terrain, the classic 10 inch Maine Hunting shoe insulated or not would be my boot of choice. Super comfy, easy to drive with and the bottoms dont track mud everywhere. You can even put a cheap supermarket orthotic in if you want.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:19 am

What kind of hunting do you do. Is it relatively flat, is it steep and rocky, is it dry, is it wet....Do you walk 1-2 miles a hunting day or 6.......

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:36 am

Birddog 307 wrote:If you guys get more than a year on a pair of boots you are not walking enough. I have never got more than a year on a pair of Danners before I wear through the stiching. I sure would like to know if there is a boot out there that would hold up for everyday in the field.
Birddog 307
I have always had to replace the sole on my Danners before anything else went. Hunting chukar is about as rough on boots as anything. Are you keeping them greased?

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:07 am

Well im not a guy but i have IRISH SETTER boots from Cabela's that ive used for 3 years and they are pretty beat up, i think i will go with DANNER next time for durability but i find the IRISH SETTER boots are really comfortable...heres mine...ruth

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabe ... 2I9LJD-pgr
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:12 am

Here is a quality product, I am not sure if they are necessary if you aren't on steep terrain but they are very good if you need support.

http://www.kenetrek.com/

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:30 am

Have really liked my Kenetreks, going on 3rd season of chukarios hunting with 'em and still pretty pristine. I did like my Meindl Alaskan versions of the same type boot a little better - slightly stiffer, I liked the lacing better...my dog ate the tops off both mine and a buddies boots on the way home from chasing mearns a few years ago when I let him ride in the back of the rig instead of his box. :lol: They didn't have my size in stock of the Meindls anywhere when I went to buy new ones so went with Kenetreks and give 'em the thumbs up too.

I've got a pair of Filson Uplanders I use for the lowlands hunting sharpies and have really liked those as well - 4th season on those and starting to wear a bit off the toes. Completely rebuildable though so when time comes, I'll send 'em to the body shop, do a tune up and have 'em back in the game.

IME, Danners suck, I have had a handful thru the years and they all leaked like I might as well have been barefoot - I do know guys that have had great luck with 'em. Kind of wonder about quality control since seems like either you get a great pair or a crappy pair IME.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:36 am

I have the same experience as Doc with Danners, I don't know the exact date but at some point a few years back they changed where they were manufactured and they never were the same. I like my Kenetrics too but I think it is worthy of noting how stiff they are, not uncomfortable but stiff especially initially, I think you would break a leg before you turned an ankle. I also have Filson uplanders for flatter ground and I have re-soled them once. They have a fairly low heel and I don't have an aggressive sole on them because I wear them on a horse and they are easier in and out of the stirrups. I believe if you care for Filson boots they will last forever.

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:45 am

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footwear ... t103894380

Here you go, these are the cheepest boots that will last as long as the high dollars ones! I've worn these boots for about 7 or 8 years now and wear them at work and play. For the price you can buy two pairs one for work and one for play.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Dirtysailor

Post by Dirtysailor » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:47 am

I am in need of new ones also. How about some suggestions for NE grouse country too?

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:55 am

I prefer something like these back in camp, after a long day climbing or in the saddle it is nice to have some comfort. I generally go for the more economy type rather than the designer models, I get them at Big 5 out here. They make some with traction type soles rather than the slick bottoms which is nice when you get up on a cold night to use the privy.

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:01 am

What boots are you talking about?! I don't see any boots!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:33 am

Those are the ones I want!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:18 pm

Chukar, those are some fine boots there. I got Browning Kangaroos off the clearance rack, best boots I've ever owned, if I ever go up a tax bracket I've buy them again. My Danners and Rockys never last long, we walk miles of CRP a day and the tops are usually destroyed before the soles.

Britguy1

Post by Britguy1 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:22 pm

I've given up on the Danner boots. I had a pair of the Grouse Hunter boots that lasted 14 years. But I have had 3 pairs for Pronghorns in the last 4 years and they all leaked. Nice boot, but not waterproof.
A bad day in the field is just a bad day.
A great day in the field is heaven

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Russell's moccasins you'll never look back :wink:

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:21 pm

Britguy1 wrote:I've given up on the Danner boots. I had a pair of the Grouse Hunter boots that lasted 14 years. But I have had 3 pairs for Pronghorns in the last 4 years and they all leaked. Nice boot, but not waterproof.

My first pair of Danner pronghorns did great, but the last 3 pairs I have had did not hold up very well.
Steve

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:24 pm

Birddog 307 wrote:If you guys get more than a year on a pair of boots you are not walking enough. I have never got more than a year on a pair of Danners before I wear through the stiching. I sure would like to know if there is a boot out there that would hold up for everyday in the field.
Birddog 307
lol If I buy a pair of boots for hunting I only use them for hunting other wise I go through boots like candy :lol: