Looking at possibly starting up a kennel

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: Looking at possibly starting up a kennel

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:12 pm

Brittlver wrote:What are some must have tools to have, IE launchers(what kind), CC, Pinch collars, Ecollars that kind of thing. Anything else you think would be nice to have, must have, do not need. Looking for items outside of ground, fences, buildings.
number 1 must have is MONEY :lol: we have spent much more than planned on our materials so far, but i hope to do it once and do it right :mrgreen: if i need it rearranged i plan to call GITTRDONEBRITTS to come give me a hand since he has so much practice :lol: ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:18 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
Brittlver wrote:What are some must have tools to have, IE launchers(what kind), CC, Pinch collars, Ecollars that kind of thing. Anything else you think would be nice to have, must have, do not need. Looking for items outside of ground, fences, buildings.
number 1 must have is MONEY :lol: we have spent much more than planned on our materials so far, but i hope to do it once and do it right :mrgreen: if i need it rearranged i plan to call GITTRDONEBRITTS to come give me a hand since he has so much practice :lol: ...ruth
Watch it Ruth I just might show up too and we'll work on it till I'm happy with it.....hope you got a spare room :wink:

terrym

Post by terrym » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:20 pm

I think the most important thing to start with would be the right property. I would want to have enough acreage to have good sized fenced in run/exercise area. I would then also want to have some land I could manage for actual live bird training. Maybe get yourself registered as a game preserve and raise quail, pheasants, chuckars etc. I also would want to incorporate a water retrieving pond in the live bird training area. I think you will find that many customers are "customers" because they don't have access to suitable training grounds. If you can provide at least that you will have a business. You might think about starting out as a club type setup and have paying members train on your facilities. Over time this would allow you to have some traffic in various breeds and who knows you might end up changing your own breed preference? You could also setup your kennel building to be a club setup and offer boarding runs, whelping facilities and daily exercising of boarded dogs. To offer training services I think you would have to have some field trial Titles you have earned and that can take years of work and no small expense. To offer pups for sale you will also need several generations of Titled pedigrees. So in the end what I would go for is a training facility with kennel services/boarding.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:54 am

terrym wrote:I think the most important thing to start with would be the right property. I would want to have enough acreage to have good sized fenced in run/exercise area. I would then also want to have some land I could manage for actual live bird training. Maybe get yourself registered as a game preserve and raise quail, pheasants, chuckars etc. I also would want to incorporate a water retrieving pond in the live bird training area. I think you will find that many customers are "customers" because they don't have access to suitable training grounds. If you can provide at least that you will have a business. You might think about starting out as a club type setup and have paying members train on your facilities. Over time this would allow you to have some traffic in various breeds and who knows you might end up changing your own breed preference? You could also setup your kennel building to be a club setup and offer boarding runs, whelping facilities and daily exercising of boarded dogs. To offer training services I think you would have to have some field trial Titles you have earned and that can take years of work and no small expense. To offer pups for sale you will also need several generations of Titled pedigrees. So in the end what I would go for is a training facility with kennel services/boarding.
Thanks for the reply. This is a good idea and If I get the right property/set up, I am sure I can get a local club to come to my place to train. Hopefully that would help get my feet on the ground and get my name out there. Thanks for the input.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:06 am

Insurance.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:07 pm

Business license and approval from the neighbors ..

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:11 pm

I am hoping that the nearest neighbor will be a long way away. I hate neighbors especially about the story in SD.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:27 pm

oh ya and make sure you check with your town/county bylaws BEFORE you purchase the property..i dont know if the same laws apply in the U.S as they do here but we had put in an offer on a property (15 acres) and found out our kennel building had to be 643 feet away from the neighbours property line..we renigged on the deal because we were only 400 and something feet away from their property line and from where we would have built the kennel..lesson learned!! but thank goodness the sale wasnt final and the folks selling were understanding..the property we ended up buying is a mile from the closest neighbour, still too close in my opinion :mrgreen: ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:42 pm

The proof is in the pudin'. Starting a kennel is easy. Buy some dogs, build some facilities and start breeding. Anyone can do that. What sets your dogs, your abilities, and you apart from the competition? You really need to consider this when starting your business. Good luck to you, your going to need it with the market the way it has been for the past year or two! :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:47 pm

topher40 wrote:The proof is in the pudin'. Starting a kennel is easy. Buy some dogs, build some facilities and start breeding. Anyone can do that. What sets your dogs, your abilities, and you apart from the competition? You really need to consider this when starting your business. Good luck to you, your going to need it with the market the way it has been for the past year or two! :wink:
Amen to that Cris. :|
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm going to tell you what I experienced and heed it if you want. The only profit I made from a kennel was boarding. And that can be a gold mine. All you need to do is be near a city as you are, and have some facilities and you can get started. Most of the business comes from people wanting to board during vacations which is normally in the summer while school it out. Because of this, help is quite easy to find as the school kids are looking for work. It all works out real well. And you can save room for your own dogs but it will get you started and have some cash flow during your startup time. This gives you the chance to gradually turn towards more training and less boarding if that is the direction you want to go.

I was never anywhere near this big but had a friend over by Iowa City That kept adding facilities and he ended up with as many as 300 pets occasionally during the summer. He hired five or six high school kids to clean and exercise the dogs and cats and when school started his business went way down and he lost his help at the same time and then he wuold bring in a few dogs for training as well as training his own dogs.

It does work and if you are in the right area I think it is the best way to get started because people become acquainted with your name and kennel, they get to see your dogs and knbow something about them and you, and most importantly it can provide that needed income while you are establishing your training and breeding business.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Knowledge. Patience. Time. Money.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:24 pm

Knowledge being the most invaluable. Time and money comes easy, knowledge is gained from hard knocks.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine