Looking at possibly starting up a kennel

Brittlver

Looking at possibly starting up a kennel

Post by Brittlver » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:35 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am looking at possibly starting up a kennel and wanted to get some does and do not's. I am looking at breeding Brittany's as My Wife and I fell in love with them. This kennel would not be anything major maybe a litter once a year. Just something to do in my spare time. Hoping to go bigger in the future and throw in training but that won't be anytime soon. What are some good breed lines to look for. The female I have now has some Beans Blaze in her. What do I need to do to lock in a Kennel name. I have one in mind and would like to use it but not sure what I have to do to get it out there. Does it matter if other people have the same name. I have found at least 3 other people with the same name. Don't want to step on anyone's toes. Any help would be appreciated.

Jesse

ElhewPointer

Re: Looking at possibly starting up a kennel

Post by ElhewPointer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:36 pm

Wow! Flood gates opening.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:41 pm

I won't get into the breeding & what to expect but as far as Kennel name you can register one with AKC & it's yours only,that don't stop anyone else from using it but will be only registered one.

Good Luck!!

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:45 pm

What do you have to do to register it to AKC. I thought I saw you have to have a couple litters that proved before you can officially register with them. I may be wrong on this.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:48 pm

I'm not sure never did it but some one here should be able to tell you or better yet get it straight from AKC.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:55 pm

You pretty much have to be a borderline production line to get an AKC kennel name ..I wouldn't waste time with that have to have X amount of litters with in a certain time fraame

FDSB all you have to do is come up with a name present it with like 50 bucks or so and they will send you a approval or not because it may be to close to another...

Either way you can just come up with a kennel name all reg will do is make it where someone has to get your permission to use it

First you want to build up a reason why someone would want to get a pup from you

What does you dogs bring to the table

Do you plan on OFAing your dogs to show you are breeding sound hipped animals at least

What will you do with pups you can not sell ..

What if a pup does have some medical issues that surface what will you offer the buyer

How will you evaluate your dogs ?

Will you have it with in yourself not to breed an animal because it has some issue health or field wise...Some people think if a female fails in the field that it will be a good brood bitch :(
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks for the help so far. Once I get things going I plan on OFA all dogs, any dogs that have a health problem I would either replace with a new puppy out of the next upcoming litter or reimburse partial payment/full payment. As for any dog that does have a health problem, I defiantly would not breed that dog. I am not in it to make money just something to do in my free time. All my dogs will be bred to be companion/hunting dogs. I'm not a big into trialing at this time so not worried to much how they perform there. I would evaluate on how well my dogs perform in the field. I would offer to bring any potential buyer out for a day of hunting to show them how they perform. My door/phone/email would always be open to any buyer. I would also keep in touch with them as their dog grows to see how it is doing. Any dog that would be left over would either be kept and trained or given to someone that would be good to it. I hope by doing this I would have people who not be disappointed.

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Good luck to you on your endeavors. Many of us breeders know and feel the range of emotions. The best advice is not to be kennel blind. If a dog is not an outstanding performer in the field, don't breed it. As for trialing, a dog that is good enough to trial means they have the best of both worlds. They have the ability to be trained and the ability to hunt. I have seen some very natural dogs, but those dogs couldn't be trained. An vice versa, some dogs that could run field trials (easy to train), but they were not very natural or good hunting dogs.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:13 pm

Anybody want to throw out some Do or Do nots. Any ideas on a kennel set up. I would ultimately like to have pole building(30X60 or something big like this), Office, Room with 5-10 kennels. Would like the kennels to be covered on cement with drainage. Inside I would like to have lips in each kennel (possibly 6" high), floors would be heated inside and out, place to bath the dogs (one that I dont have lift the dog) and a storage area. What do you all think. Think this would work.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:41 pm

Brittlver wrote:Thanks for the help so far. Once I get things going I plan on OFA all dogs, any dogs that have a health problem I would either replace with a new puppy out of the next upcoming litter or reimburse partial payment/full payment. As for any dog that does have a health problem, I defiantly would not breed that dog. I am not in it to make money just something to do in my free time. All my dogs will be bred to be companion/hunting dogs. I'm not a big into trialing at this time so not worried to much how they perform there. I would evaluate on how well my dogs perform in the field. I would offer to bring any potential buyer out for a day of hunting to show them how they perform. My door/phone/email would always be open to any buyer. I would also keep in touch with them as their dog grows to see how it is doing. Any dog that would be left over would either be kept and trained or given to someone that would be good to it. I hope by doing this I would have people who not be disappointed.

Now with this said Go back to your first post and see what names you put out about the pedigrees

Field trials in a way is about evaluation of a dog. I breed to a 2x NAFC sure some people like to give me flack about it but you know what those pups are making people very happy. Some people accuse him of being one breed another group accuse him of something else..I pretty much hear those accusations or some slam on all winning dogs..Even Beans blaze in his winning days was being slammed so was microdot ..list goes on and see who breeds and line breeds or Lists as a part of the ped. Just tossing this out there to keep things in mind ...

Some times people look to lines that are known that is all they have...a good hunting dog should make a good Gundog or NSTRA or even a hunt test dog at minimum maybe not an all age dog but they should display the desire to hunt and the ability to accomplish something should a person get a pup from you maybe they might come across and want to do something extra with their dog..wouldn't you want their pup to at least have the basics to do that so they can go out there and have a chance ?

I would say at least go look at the different venues see what they are about you state hunting so go look at the walking stakes ..again this would be walking gundog NSTRA even Hunt tests

i tell people I breed Trial/Hunting dogs that can make a companion I do not breed companion dogs that might make hunters :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:52 pm

"i tell people I breed Trial/Hunting dogs that can make a companion I do not breed companion dogs that might make hunters"

Hunting season is fairly short and you can only go to so many trials, that dog is a companion 10 minutes for every 1 minute it hunts. Do you breed agressive dogs? If a dog bites all little kids it sees then wins a trial, is it breeding material for your kennels? Dogs should be bred for health then temperment, then hunting. JMO.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Hunting season is fairly short and you can only go to so many trials, that dog is a companion 10 minutes for every 1 minute it hunts. Do you breed agressive dogs? If a dog bites all little kids it sees then wins a trial, is it breeding material for your kennels? Dogs should be bred for health then temperment, then hunting. JMO.Cy Shook
REALLY!?

don't know much about breeding do you?

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Why do they have to be agressive? Wow your limited knowledge of trial dogs shows. A dog has to be a gentle and obedient dog to field trial. It can have no aggression traits if it is to be at all successful. Breeding just companion dogs is what fills up pounds. Working dogs get used their entire life.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Might be a good idea to join The American Brittany Club. You would get a monthly magazine that would help in following what lines are producing/winning. This would help but not a substitute for actually seeing the dogs at events to make your own judgements.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Redfishkilla wrote:"i tell people I breed Trial/Hunting dogs that can make a companion I do not breed companion dogs that might make hunters"

Hunting season is fairly short and you can only go to so many trials, that dog is a companion 10 minutes for every 1 minute it hunts. Do you breed agressive dogs? If a dog bites all little kids it sees then wins a trial, is it breeding material for your kennels? Dogs should be bred for health then temperment, then hunting. JMO.

Where are you coming up with this aggressive stuff :roll:

Read again what YOU quoted me on I meant just what I said there are no read between the lines there plain and simple

Besides Aggressive dogs have no place in a breeding program much less house trials or kennel.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:41 pm

Then what do you mean by MIGHT make a companion? Too hyper? What?

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:46 pm

"Working dogs get used their entire life."

BS, they're companions more than they are hunters, unless they're in some kind of hunting outfit or guide dog. Say you train three hours a day, they're still companions for 9 hours and workers for 3, assuming you sleep 12 hours. :wink:

I feel sorry for the dog that spends ALL it's life in a kennel only coming out to hunt or train then go back in the kennel. Mine go fishing and to the park and beach and spend tons of time with me when we're not hunting. You're really missin' out on lots of quailty time with your dog if you only hunt and train. JMO.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Then what do you mean by MIGHT make a companion? Too hyper? What?
where did this get said other than in your quote?

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:50 pm

OK sorry. CAN? What do you mean CAN? What might be some of the reasons the dog might not make a good companion?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:58 pm

reason I say Can...Not everyone has their bird dogs as pets they trial and or hunt ...some people do not believe in dogs being in the house..So I say Can

So you are trying to read way more into it then there is.. So enough with the side tracking if you feel the need to carry on please start another post Now lets get this back on track.... Thank you :wink:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:03 pm

If you are planning on hanging out a shingle for training, you are going to need credentials. Titles go a long way there.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Well don't you think they all 'can' make good companions? An awful lot of dogs are perfectly content in kennels, or a chain gang, or wherever they spend the majority of their time. I was told a story about a dog by the call name "King" a brittany on the west coast, his full name is Quail Rock's Tuff Enough I believe. He has somewhere around a hundred placements and is now about ten years old. He lives with a pro that kennels 25 or so trial dogs, in his retirement he was allowed to be a house dog, he was never content in the house and would only sleep and rest in his kennel.

I have another example...I stayed at a rented ranch house during chukar season in the middle of nowhere Nevada 45 miles from a gas station. There was a cow dog that was a bit of a stray on the ranch but he went to work every day with the mexican cowboys and their own personal dogs. they told me no one owned him and his name was "Weasle" (pronounced Wheeesl in their translation) I noticed he stayed outside at night with a goat that ran free. One night I coaxed him into the house and he ate hamburgers with me. He seemed awfully pleased I and I decided that it was inhumane for him to sleep out in the frigid weather. So I went to sleep by the fire and he laid down on the floor, I had every intention of taking him home. After maybe an hour of sleep he woke me and insisted on going out...I opened the door and followed him, he went to an old falling down shed where the goat had curled up in some weeds and laid down beside him looking at me as though to say, "thanks for dinner you are dismissed."

I wonder if he would have been happy on my 5 acres, on my schedule, going to the beach? Or was he already happy and din't need me projecting my human point of view on him? I will just bet the best dog trainers and handlers know that answer.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:11 pm

...oh and for authenticity,

here is Weasle, my apologies he doesn't care for the camera.

...and his goat who is a good deal more photogenic

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:17 pm

OK sorry. CAN? What do you mean CAN? What might be some of the reasons the dog might not make a good companion?
can, as in, can also make a companion, but that is not it's first purpose. hunting/trialing dogs is what she breeds. they CAN be companions if you want them to be.

sorry about the hijack Brittlver.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:18 pm

sorry about the hijack Brittlver.

...yes the goat and I apologize as well

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Chukar12 wrote:...oh and for authenticity,

here is Weasle, my apologies he doesn't care for the camera.

...and his goat who is a good deal more photogenic
What a cool dog! I'd fix him a hamburger any timr.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:28 pm

Don't worry about it. Hearing about the dog and the goat made up for it :lol: Any ideas on kennel designs. I have been trying to find pictures of ones I like but it is hard to find. I like Vmans kennels and a few others. but still nothing quite the way I have if pictured in my head. I am hoping to buy my house next summer/fall and then start my kennel there after. I am thinking about calling it Muddy River Kennels after your guys lovely name for my dog Molly. Logo would go as follows:

Muddy River
(Picture of a brit pointing a flushing bird by a river)
Kennels

If that makes any sense to you all. Just trying to learn everything I can about running a kennel and breeding.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:42 pm

There is already a Muddy River Kennel Good way to work it is think of some names then look them up on the internet or on some of the breeder forums

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:07 pm

Britlver,

There is a whole lot more to breeding dogs than just will they hunt. It is hard to find a Brit that won't and some of the best inthe country have never seen a trial and neither have their ancesters. Find dogs that hunt like you like them to and also what your friends like and you will find that word of mouth will soon have people asking about pups. But there is conformation, temperment, hunting style, trainability, and family companionship are all part of the game. Anybody can breed for anyone of those qualities but the secret is putting them all together so that you really are producing dogs that please and bettering the breed overall. There are quite a few Brit breeders that do just that compared to many of the other breeds.

But there is no quide line anyone can tell you that will even come close to giving you the knowledge that a few dogs and a few years with them will teach you. There is no magic formula or for that matter there is no way any of us can tell you as none of us has found that formula either. The only thing that I will say is keep the whole dog in your site and breed for allof the traits we have in the Brittany and not just pick one or two and ignore the others as they all have to be in place if you are going to produce that better Brit.

My first thought is you are maybe getting ahead of yourself but there is nothing wrong with having a dream and making it happen. Just don't try to make it too big or too fancy when you start as youu will then find what you really need in your kennel plans. There will always be things you will find that you want to change so give yourself that leeway.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

settergal83

Post by settergal83 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:19 pm

Dashin Gun Dogs wrote:Why do they have to be agressive? Wow your limited knowledge of trial dogs shows. A dog has to be a gentle and obedient dog to field trial. It can have no aggression traits if it is to be at all successful. Breeding just companion dogs is what fills up pounds. Working dogs get used their entire life.
I have to agree and disagree with this statement but as to not get into an argument, If a dog at any field trial that I have ever been to has shown any sign of aggression what so ever, weather towards a handler or another dog, That dog is picked up off the course, disqualified and generally asked not to be returned to future events.

As for the "companion dogs" to each their own. I have my dogs as Family first and hunters second. I have seen handfuls of dogs run into the ground and thus dying way too young do to over running...EVERYTHING Must be done with some form of restraint or moderation. JMHO.

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:43 pm

Redfishkilla wrote:"Working dogs get used their entire life."

BS, they're companions more than they are hunters, unless they're in some kind of hunting outfit or guide dog. Say you train three hours a day, they're still companions for 9 hours and workers for 3, assuming you sleep 12 hours. :wink:

I feel sorry for the dog that spends ALL it's life in a kennel only coming out to hunt or train then go back in the kennel. Mine go fishing and to the park and beach and spend tons of time with me when we're not hunting. You're really missin' out on lots of quailty time with your dog if you only hunt and train. JMO.
It is not BS. Dogs dont need to be felt sorry for. That is why we have so many issues with organizations trying to give dogs rights. They are dogs, and they are perfectly content in a kennel with food and water. I do only train and hunt my dogs. I train every day, hunt often, and field trail some. I enjoy it, and my dogs get excited about training, trialing, and hunting. You treat your dogs one way, and others treat them their own way. Please dont act like they should all be companions. I am happy for the ones that do live a companion lifestyle, but that isn't my way of doing things.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:46 pm

My kenneldogs were always companions. I wouldn't even attempt to hunt with one that isn't.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:53 pm

My dogs get more play time a day than I do....isn't anyone feeling sorry for me?! :lol:
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Take it slow Take it slow Take it slow Take it slow Take it slow Take it slow Take it slow Take it slow Take it slow Take it slow !!!!!

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:43 pm

The dog biz is alot of fun, and alot of work, but I sincerely doubt most people clearly "think through" and know what they are getting into if they truly plan to make it work/succeed. I wish I'd have learned more the easier way. :wink:

My endeavor into the dog biz was very eye opening at first. I would caution that if a person needs sooo much outside input and direction in such a multitude of areas, then perhaps they should slow down a bit and get a good grasp on what they need to learn and know BEFORE jumping in head first.

I know how much I enjoy it, and I also know how much of a headache it can be at times. :lol:

Good luck. :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:45 pm

Onk wrote:My dogs get more play time a day than I do....isn't anyone feeling sorry for me?! :lol:
Maybe....

Good to have a plan and a direction...and The Brittany Magazine can be great to thumb through and see what dogs are doing what and those sires which are showing some promise in the progeny.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:52 pm

Before this gets to out of hand I should restate that I DO NOT plan on doing this for another couple years. First I have to get a home and some land. :D I am just trying to learn as much as I can about running a kennel. Breeding and Training would then follow down the road. If things do not pan out its not a problem. Like I said this is just a side job. For the people that know me please do not read into this to much. I just want to learn as much as possible before I even attempt to start anything.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:01 pm

Hey at least you are asking first ...//Most people Dive in thinking it is only ankle deep ..What they don;t tell you it is ankle deep if you go head first :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:14 pm

True, I am hopefully smart enough to know that this is no where near ankle deep. Just talking to a few people who do this I am pretty sure even if I learn alot and go slowly I will still trip and fall and land face first in a pile of you know what. But hopefully hearing all your thoughts and Ideas I can help mitigate how much actually gets on my face. :mrgreen: Things I am looking to learn about right now is how to run a kennel. Not so much the breeding/training part but the actual business part. Things that you would do on a normal day to day, people you work with, What schedule you do thru out the day. That kind of things. If I do this I am not going to slap up a few chain link walls and call it good, but I also don't want to have 50-100 runs either. How would you lay out your land, things you would put on it, how big of play areas. We'll work on the other things later down the road but I think having the set up should be first on the list. Can't have a kennel with out a place to put the dogs. As for the name, there are others out there with the same name, 1 trainer, 1 boarder, 2 small breeders both with different dogs. I would love to keep this name but also don't want to step on others toes. None of them are registered with AKC as far as I know. I don't even think their dogs come with papers. I got plenty of time to think of more if need be but was thinking if it was anything like a business I would get the name out there and locked in before someone else does. No need to start it up just get it registered. Thanks for all the help you guys and gals are great.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:39 pm

Are there any kennels near you that keep/train hunting dogs? If so go volunteer to help out. No better way to learn than actually doing it.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:45 pm

I have found is that I'm never happy with how I have my kennels arranged seems as though I'm always rearranging then or thinking about it may just be me but I can always find a flaw with how I set them up weather it be for convince or sheer aesthetics I'm never pleased, but I've finally decided on how I want them and am going to pour concrete and build half a shed over and behind them and put in a septic system and that is the final time ! I'm sure I'll get sick of it and want to change it sooner or later, hopefully your not as nit picky and @#@! as me :lol:

another thing if you plan on expanding over time always keep that in mind so when you build something in one spot you have enough space to add to it, if you have a large property no need to have stuff at each corner of it keep things relatively close but again keep future expansion in mind. Dogs are a lot of work its not all fun and games at the end of a long day at work you still have to train or exercise them feed them water them and make sure they are all in good health, so keep that in mind I still get the stink eye when I get home from work and head straight to the kennels :oops: keep that little girl of yours interested in dogs she will be big help as she gets older ie: cleaning kennels and doing the feeding so you can train and do other things. you gotta have a good supply of birds pigeons work good but you also have to have a place for some quail chuckar or Phez for later training. and one more time TAKE IT SLOW lol

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:27 am

Concrete is good easiest to get cleaned
Just remember you will need to be able to hose it out so plan for that have just a slight grade towards trough and the trough at more of a grade so the water runs out
this is where going to other kennels is a good idea see different set ups

personally I do not like the pea gravel as that is a good tick bedding and also after some time it STINKS no matter what you do

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:26 am

Biggest thing is to be dead honest with yourself and take your personal feelings out of the equation, and ask your self "is what I got worth breeding?"

Ive got some dogs now that i really like, best dogs Ive ever had....that said , I don't really think they are the caliber needed to be the foundation of a breeding program. I see internet kennels all the time breeding dogs I wouldn't even own , its the "he's the greatest dog Ive ever had and we love him to death" thing.....thats no good reason to make them the foundation of a kennel.

Educate yourself, go to trials which include your breed of choice , make honest , objective observations and conclusions about what you know and what you got for dogs........Go to as many kennels as you can and see the good bad and ugly....Eyes wide open kinda stuff. Then evaluate if what you got is worth breeding and if you have the fortitude to run a kennel and make the hard decisions that come with breeding.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:23 am

I'm not a breeder but I think this question is relevant. Do breeders need to know where they want to take their Dogs/line or whatever before they pick out dogs and start? If I were going to undertake something like this I would think you'd need some kind of vision of what type of dog you're looking for. Like if you wanted big running dogs would you sacrifice some natural retrieve for bigger running dogs? Or if you wanted more natural retrieve would you breed for it knowing you might give up range because of some certain dog? I doubt any dog is perfect (besides mine of course..jk :D ) so are these relevant questions when deciding on which ones to pair? Assuming health and disposition requirements are satisfied.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:24 am

Thanks for the help. Those comments helped a lot. Your right about the visiting kennels. I think this fall I will start traveling and visiting as many as I can. Lord knows I have the time. Hopefully I can get the local trainer to let me sit in with him every now and then and help out. I know he's been a big help on here and he is a great guy. When I do get into breeding chances are it prob. wont be a dog I have now. I would probably do my research and go buy a puppy from a line that I think would be great for breeding.

Joe - let me know when your ready to build and I will come down on a weekend to help you and you can show me a little about having a kennel and breeding/training.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:02 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Biggest thing is to be dead honest with yourself and take your personal feelings out of the equation, and ask your self "is what I got worth breeding?"

Ive got some dogs now that i really like, best dogs Ive ever had....that said , I don't really think they are the caliber needed to be the foundation of a breeding program. I see internet kennels all the time breeding dogs I wouldn't even own , its the "he's the greatest dog Ive ever had and we love him to death" thing.....thats no good reason to make them the foundation of a kennel.

Educate yourself, go to trials which include your breed of choice , make honest , objective observations and conclusions about what you know and what you got for dogs........Go to as many kennels as you can and see the good bad and ugly....Eyes wide open kinda stuff. Then evaluate if what you got is worth breeding and if you have the fortitude to run a kennel and make the hard decisions that come with breeding.

Youre right here, but the problem is, everyone's "idea" of worth is WAY different.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:12 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:

Youre right here, but the problem is, everyone's "idea" of worth is WAY different.

Agreed, thats where the get out there and educate yourself comes into play....that said everyone will evaluate differently but a concerted effort to see whats out there should at least give some perspective.

Also for the Op, finding good foundation dogs out of proven litters is a good way to start but in no way guarantees a pup that's worthy of breeding. FWIW.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:16 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:Biggest thing is to be dead honest with yourself and take your personal feelings out of the equation, and ask your self "is what I got worth breeding?"

Different doesnt always=wrong though.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:05 pm

What are some must have tools to have, IE launchers(what kind), CC, Pinch collars, Ecollars that kind of thing. Anything else you think would be nice to have, must have, do not need. Looking for items outside of ground, fences, buildings.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:09 pm

Fourwheelers, dog haulers, GPS and RT trackers, roading rigging, bird pens and housing.....