Whats does your dog do while you're away ?

JessiNGunther

Whats does your dog do while you're away ?

Post by JessiNGunther » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:58 am

Where does your dog go when your at work ? Do you leave toys outside for them or do they just hang out while your gone.
We have balls and other dog friendly toys out side so they don't dig or go crazy and tear things up.
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

Byrdgirl

Re: Whats does your dog do while you're away ?

Post by Byrdgirl » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:50 am

We only have one GSP. She is 22 months old but has had free rein of the house since she was 14 months old. We have had zero issues with her destroying anything which I attribute to the fact she is exercised and stimulated everyday. We leave her toys to play with but I'm pretty sure all she does while we are gone is sleep with her little dog face on my pillow. She's a spoiled brat. :)
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

Sue

Post by Sue » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:57 am

Our dogs have the run of the house, but we think they spend most of the day sleeping on our bed... :wink:

Although they pretend they have been awake, by greeting us with full body wags and toys presented proudly in their mouths, maybe its the two round, warm, dents in the quilt that give their secret away. :P

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:00 pm

I usually have 6 dogs at a time, 2 of my own and 4 rescues..come summer time i stop rescuing until winter cause i have 5 kids and run a construction company so my time is tied up with all of that BUT when i have 2 or even 6 they are ALL crated when we are not home except for my boxer, he has never bothered anything and is so lazy he wouldnt even get up to bother anything :) im home ALOT so if the dogs are alone its no more than a few hours at a time..i have my kitchen blocked off with baby gates so they have run of the kitchen when we are home and a few dogs at a time are allowed in the living room as long as they lay down and behave..i also dont have issues with chewing ect because they are exercised OFTEN :wink: oh ya i have a large dirt area in my yard in the back corner the dogs are allowed to dig in, they bury their bones and balls there and then go in their doggy pool to cool off and make a muddy mess :lol: they have always learned quickly to dig only there and LOVE IT!!..ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:11 pm

We have between 2-4 dogs at any time (2 home dogs, 2 competition dogs that are back and forth with a trainer). We also have a litter planned this summer and hope to keep 2 pups from that.

With the warmer weather, we have just fenced in a dog yard, moved the dogs into the basement (along with their crates which are up on a platform), and installed a dog door. They spend their days in the basement and their yard now. Over the summer we will be building them a room down there (right now it's a big, open space) and will add an additional zone to the furnace by October so their room will be heated during the colder months. All but the old man is crated overnight in the basement also.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:45 pm

I got 6 at home now, they play poker, I got a pic of them done up in velvet :)

I once had a cat used to steal my paychecks out of the mail box then he would take them to the bank dressed like me and cash them. I only found out about it by all the cat toys spread out all over the place. I cant take them back cause they are covered in cat spit...... (Steve Martin)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:51 pm

Well I can say with out a doubt they certainly aren't doing the Dishes or the laundry :roll:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Linescreamer

Post by Linescreamer » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:22 pm

Dreaming of birds. :lol:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:23 pm

Canine Rip Van Winkle

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:38 pm

my dog used to come to work with me 2-3 days a week. now she's at the trainers for the summer.

jlowery

Post by jlowery » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:40 pm

MIne run the yard, and i have a screened in porch were they tend to hang in the shade most of the day, and occasionally come home to a screen repair, and a small hole or two, but nothing i can't handle. It comes with the territory.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:44 pm

When it's nice outside, like it's been this past week, they're out in the 10 x 10 kennel. There are horse saddle pads on the roof of their huge 2 dog doghouse, and they'll lay up there and sleep, bird watch, etc.

When it's going to storm or it's freezing cold outside, they're shut in our bedroom while we're gone. And I know for a fact, they sleep on my bed--or maybe it's that I sleep on their bed. :D They could have the run of the house, and wouldn't touch a thing. But I keep them confined for that one in a million chance of a house fire. They are in an easily accessible room with a pet notice in the window, and my husbands fellow fireman know that we don't give a hoot about the house, just go for the dogs.

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Don't know, he refuses to tell me!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:23 pm

He's a kennel dog, so I imagine he sleeps and dreams about when I'm going to finally come home :mrgreen:

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:27 pm

Stares at the hot little pointers when they run by the window.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:20 pm

The reason I asked is we've only had Gunther 5 months and he is a house dog he has been left for not more than a few hours at a time. Im going on vacation and I'm worried the house sitter will leave them out side too long. Duke our 900 year old lab can deal with anything and as long as he gets food he is cool. I also keep telling our house sitter Gunther has to go on walks even if it's to the barn and back. I wonder if they will do it. If I could i'd take him with me in a heart beat.

markj wrote:I got 6 at home now, they play poker, I got a pic of them done up in velvet :)

I once had a cat used to steal my paychecks out of the mail box then he would take them to the bank dressed like me and cash them. I only found out about it by all the cat toys spread out all over the place. I cant take them back cause they are covered in cat spit...... (Steve Martin)

HAHAHAHA
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:31 pm

As long as they are in one piece and in the kennels when I get back what would I really care?
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:51 am

Gunner has been out since he was about 8 months old - now 14 months, he (i assume) just chills on the couch or in our bed all day. Sometimes we will try and go find the "warm spot" to see where he was laying. This dog has never touched a thing when left home alone except a flip flop or two!

Draken is back in his crate since he decided it'd be fun to shred everything in my trashcan... TWICE in a week. :roll:
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Ahhhhh I remember those days of having a pup/adolecent that was a destroyer of all that was off limits. :lol:

When I first started out I was training labs since I waterfowled 99% of the time. Drake, my previous lab was a bohemouth of a pup. (he was 125# when he died and 28 inches at the shoulder) I was young and would do things differently now, but that dog chewed up everything!!! Thousands of dollars worth of stuff, Dead serious. :|

One day my wife and I came home from a "night on the town" and we were young and had the "fever" and went straight to the downstairs bedroom.... Let me tell you that nothing kills the mood like flipping on the light and seeing a giant hole approx the size of my mama's big pie plate eaten through the bed mattress all the way down to the box springs! :lol:

That is just one of many "episodes" I have encountered. He finally grew out of it at about 18 months of age. Never bothered anything after that at all. I have 3 birddogs in the house now. 2 EPointers and a black lab. My Pointer stud and my lab will jump over the dog gate in the mud room and come into the main part of the house when permitted. Jenny, one of my female EP's will not jump over. She stays back in the back and minds her own. They have a dog door leading out to a large fenced in backyard.

I am home most of the time and the boys usually sleep, patrol the backyard, sleep, sleep some more, and bless me with the occasional fart and then look around like "what was that?" :lol: :oops:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:58 am

You sure it was them and not you? ;)
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

settergal83

Post by settergal83 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm home with my dogs almost all of the time any more. but when I do leave they are kenneled. Generally for no more than 2 hours at a time. If I am going to be gone for an extended period of time the old dog chills in the kitchen and the 2 younger dogs have a nice sized out door kennel. The 2 outside girls are always romping and playing in their kiddie pool this time of year or chillin on the roof of the dog house.