Raccoon help!

Onk

Raccoon help!

Post by Onk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:58 am

Need to know if anyone has a way to keep raccoons out of a dog pen. I was at a buddies house last night for fireworks and his dogs pen is getting over run by coons looking for dog food I guess. While we were sitting there he shot one and one got away. He said there are several each night that do this and he has already killed 3 or 4. The bird dog doesnt mind, just watches them come and go! Is there anything you can put out that will make them shy away?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Swagg

Re: Raccoon help!

Post by Swagg » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:22 am

As far as smells or scents, nothing that i know of. You could always put a hot wire along the top where they are climbing in :!:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:31 am

Night vision and a good quality air rifle why stop the target practice as long as they are coming
But in other ways raccoons are deeming when they find a food source and short of using poison there isn't a whole bunch
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:41 am

I was kind of surprised at the dogs lack of interest in the coons. I know that they can carry disease and thought it would be a good idea to keep them out of the dogs space. I'm thinking we just might have to do the ole marshmellow/live trap thing for a while. Just thought there might be something that you could put out that would keep them away. Like the peeps at the apple orchard hang used dryer sheets from their trees to help keep the deer out.

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:45 am

Got a PM that told me to pour a line of diesel fuel around the pen to keep them out. We'll give this a try, what can it hurt!

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:04 am

Let a coon get in one of my GSP's kennel, and you'll see a dead coon. These dogs don't like them, or like to kill them.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:23 am

Where in Mo. are you located? I'm in Wood River, IL. just 20 minutes east of St.Louis, MO.

If you're not too far we could try one of thes guys;

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:30 am

North Central part of Mizzou, looks like those dogs would make short work of these cooms. Not sure how many are at his place but it seems like tons. He is about 300 yards from the creek bottoms and has CRP ground all around him, so I'm sure its a coon sanctuary!

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:44 am

Onk wrote:North Central part of Mizzou,
Near Macon, Mo.?

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:00 am

Coons would not last 2 seconds in my dogs kennels but if they were a problem I would put a top on my kennels. If it is just a fenced yard hot wire is the only option.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Meller

Post by Meller » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:34 am

Have you tryed Invisible Fence, you can get it at Walmart , it's made to keep Rabbit's and deer out of your garden, but A friend told me it's keeping the coons out of his sweet corn.
Might give it a try. :D

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:41 am

My dogs had a "Run In" with a coon during a hunt over Thanksgiving weekend.. I don't want them fighting coons for sport so to speak, but this encounter where it happend was pretty much unavoidable. Once it happend, there was little to do except cheer em on and hope they didn't get their arse's handed to em, or get hurt. They seemed to do rather well for themselves.

Birddogs are awfully expensive "coon dogs". It did get my coon hunting juices flowing! I used to hunt religiously with my cousin back in my HS days. :D

The pic is of "Cy" & "Clyde" they are father and son.

Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:09 pm

Like the pics prairie! Yep that is all you can do, you for sure don't want to step in the middle of the fray!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Onk wrote:Got a PM that told me to pour a line of diesel fuel around the pen to keep them out. We'll give this a try, what can it hurt!
Don't let the EPA catch you or they will explain what it couldhurt. I would stop leaving food out for them and they will go away. They only climb in because they are invited.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:19 pm

He doesnt leave any food out, only feeds the dog his couple cups twice a day. Its like they are stopping by to check out the bowl just in case. I'm sure they would have had to find something there at one time or they surely would not be returning.

solon

Post by solon » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:42 am

Other than a DD in the kennel, he could try one or two of these:

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Dog+Pro ... de+DP+Trap

Solon

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:07 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:My dogs had a "Run In" with a coon during a hunt over Thanksgiving weekend.. I don't want them fighting coons for sport so to speak, but this encounter where it happend was pretty much unavoidable. Once it happend, there was little to do except cheer em on and hope they didn't get their arse's handed to em, or get hurt.

I always have to chuckle when I hear people say things like this when we have little 12-15 lbs dogs that take on coons,fox,badgers, coyotes and wild hogs. However, I will say I kind of understand because I once had a setter who got his "bleep" whipped by a cat :roll: :lol:

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:59 am

We use a large live trap, then just shoot them in the trap with a .22. You bait them with a little dog food for the first one, after that no bait is even needed. They are easy and cheap to make if you can weld.

asc

Post by asc » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Hot wire is the only way I can keep them out of my crab tanks, did live traps, leg hold, and staying up and shooting them. They don't like the shock :twisted: . My dog caught another one( #2) last week, let her out about 5am and heard the squalling, by the time I grabbed a .22 and a light it was over, she proudly brought her find back to the door and deposited it in my hand when I said "give". I should have took a pic.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:04 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:
prairiefirepointers wrote:My dogs had a "Run In" with a coon during a hunt over Thanksgiving weekend.. I don't want them fighting coons for sport so to speak, but this encounter where it happend was pretty much unavoidable. Once it happend, there was little to do except cheer em on and hope they didn't get their arse's handed to em, or get hurt.

I always have to chuckle when I hear people say things like this when we have little 12-15 lbs dogs that take on coons,fox,badgers, coyotes and wild hogs. However, I will say I kind of understand because I once had a setter who got his "bleep" whipped by a cat :roll: :lol:
I've witnessed hundreds of coon vs dog fights in my teenage - early twenties years.. I've seen some big ol nasty boar coons be wound shot out of a tree, hit the ground and still hand out an arsewhippin on a dog or two. I've even had them so pissed they came after us when we got to close trying to help dispatch a big nasty. Many dogs have died at the hands of a big educated coon either by fighting or the coon drowning them. :wink:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

asc

Post by asc » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:06 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:
Georgia Boy wrote:

I've witnessed hundreds of coon vs dog fights in my teenage - early twenties years.. I've seen some big ol nasty boar coons be wound shot out of a tree, hit the ground and still hand out an arsewhippin on a dog or two. I've even had them so pissed they came after us when we got to close trying to help dispatch a big nasty. Many dogs have died at the hands of a big educated coon either by fighting or the coon drowning them. :wink:
What you said... seen some good walkers messed up by a big coon.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:24 pm

Barbeque and eat one of their buddies in front of them and I bet they think twice about coming back. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:17 am

No thank you...I like to eat but coon is not on my diet! Not a big fan of them in a dog kennel or on my plate! :D

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:38 am

haha read a story on espn about a football player that ate lots of coon apparently its one of the leanest most protein rich meats out there. think i will just stick to chicken

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:51 am

Georgia Boy wrote:

Birddogs are not meant to fight coons and luckily Jess' dogs didn't get hurt. I sure would'nt want to see my birddogs have a run in with one. Georgia boy, you chuckle when you here these stories because you probably have some bad little Patterdales but they too have lost their lives to coons. I say the same thing when my 60 lb walker is fighting a coon (you better win because you outwiegh it by 35 or 45lbs and little dogs can do it).
prairiefirepointers wrote: I've seen some big ol nasty boar coons be wound shot out of a tree, hit the ground and still hand out an arsewhippin on a dog or two. I've even had them so pissed they came after us when we got to close trying to help dispatch a big nasty. Many dogs have died at the hands of a big educated coon either by fighting or the coon drowning them.

There is a man that knows "all coons are not created equal".

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:49 am

Run a hot wire around the bottom of the kennel you can get a pulse fencer at TSC for 20.00 some wire and plastic holders run two wires just to make sure. Watch him hit that wire, it is funny and he wont come back.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:32 am

Georgia Boy wrote:

Coon on a log........

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:55 pm

Birddogs are not meant to fight coons and luckily Jess' dogs didn't get hurt. I sure would'nt want to see my birddogs have a run in with one. Georgia boy, you chuckle when you here these stories because you probably have some bad little Patterdales but they too have lost their lives to coons. I say the same thing when my 60 lb walker is fighting a coon (you better win because you outwiegh it by 35 or 45lbs and little dogs can do it).
prairiefirepointers wrote: I've seen some big ol nasty boar coons be wound shot out of a tree, hit the ground and still hand out an arsewhippin on a dog or two. I've even had them so pissed they came after us when we got to close trying to help dispatch a big nasty. Many dogs have died at the hands of a big educated coon either by fighting or the coon drowning them.

The little dogs I speak of are Jagds and I have seen some battles myself, especially when the coon or badger is twice the size of the dog instead of the other way around. If you doubt me check out you tube :D

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:

As a former jagd owner I think the same thing, but you have to admit that a jagd has a whole different out look and attitude than MOST run of the mill birddogs.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:05 pm

markj wrote:Run a hot wire around the bottom of the kennel you can get a pulse fencer at TSC for 20.00 some wire and plastic holders run two wires just to make sure. Watch him hit that wire, it is funny and he wont come back.
Ditto! A hot wire is the only way to go and if installed properly will eliminate the problem. I doubt that you could shoot or trap enough to completely stop the problem.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:15 pm

MO_GSP wrote:haha read a story on espn about a football player that ate lots of coon apparently its one of the leanest most protein rich meats out there. think i will just stick to chicken
If you get a very young raccoon, barbecue it and shred it, it is actually not a bad sandwich. Once they get any age on them, forget it.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:30 pm

ACooper wrote:
Georgia Boy wrote:

As a former jagd owner I think the same thing, but you have to admit that a jagd has a whole different out look and attitude than MOST run of the mill birddogs.
I have a new pup coming from Serbia and look forward to its arrival :twisted:

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:34 am

Georgia Boy wrote:The little dogs I speak of are Jagds
I'll take a Patterdale over a jagd any day of the week for coon fighting. There ferocity and gameness are unmatched but the jagd is a better baydog as the patterdale will go straight in and the jagd is smarter in a sense to stay out of harms way. That would make them a better choice from baying lions to hogs. Both are fearless and have endless stamina.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:50 pm

I had a brace of pit bulls would tear apart anything I run them on. Coons lasted like 20 seconds. :) the good old hunting lines of them pits were fantastic dogs would run and tree anything, could sneak up to deer. Them days are gone now, not sure i would want them today.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Ron R wrote:
I'll take a Patterdale over a jagd any day of the week for coon fighting. There ferocity and gameness are unmatched but the jagd is a better baydog as the patterdale will go straight in and the jagd is smarter in a sense to stay out of harms way. That would make them a better choice from baying lions to hogs. Both are fearless and have endless stamina.
You needed to see my jagds, working "smart" was not their fortay... More head bangers. IMO Jagds far out shine the patterdale in most areas out side of below ground work.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:34 pm

ACooper wrote:
Ron R wrote:
You needed to see my jagds, working "smart" was not their fortay... More head bangers. IMO Jagds far out shine the patterdale in most areas out side of below ground work.
Most people here in North America have never seen a real Jagd. I will take a European Jagd over a Patterdale every day, above or below ground. If people wouldnt get upset I'd post some video and let them decide for themselves.