Discovery/TLC Series about dog cloning

CicadaB

Discovery/TLC Series about dog cloning

Post by CicadaB » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:47 am

Hello,

I joined the Gun Dog Forum because I am researching for a TV series, and would like to hear from some dog-owners. I am aware that there is a fine line between posting to reach out to people, and advertising. I would therefore not contact individuals unless they respond to my post - but would love to hear from you if you think the following applies to you and your gun dog:

Do you wish your dog will be with you forever?
I work for a UK-based TV company making a major new, landmark documentary series for Discovery/TLC about dog cloning, and I'm interested in talking to anyone who is, is considering going through, or has been through this process. At this stage, I’d just like to find out more. We’re already following the process of several individuals, but we would love to hear from more people who could be part of the series.

If you’d like to get in touch, please send me an email to the following address:
dogs@cicadabellwether.com

Many thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you.

markj
GDF Junkie

Re: Discovery/TLC Series about dog cloning

Post by markj » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:40 pm

That isnt natural. How long did that sheep live? was cloned...

Dolly (5 July 1996 – 14 February 2003)

On 14 February 2003, Dolly was euthanised because she had a progressive lung disease and severe arthritis.[12] A Finn Dorset such as Dolly has a life expectancy of around 11 to 12 years, but Dolly lived to be only six years of age.

Nah, I will do mine natures way.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:04 pm

I got one now i would love cloned if it was perfected,and cheap, my lab.

That said, the cloned dog wouldn't really be the same dog as the first. The dog is a reflection of what you made it and its environment at that stage in your life. I would like to think I can produce a better/different dog in my 40's than my 20's given the same cloned animal.

I'll be interested to see this documentary, but won't be cloning anything in my lifetime.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:47 pm

birddog1968 wrote:I got one now i would love cloned if it was perfected,and cheap, my lab.

That said, the cloned dog wouldn't really be the same dog as the first. The dog is a reflection of what you made it and its environment at that stage in your life. I would like to think I can produce a better/different dog in my 40's than my 20's given the same cloned animal.

I'll be interested to see this documentary, but won't be cloning anything in my lifetime.
AND THERE IS THE TOTAL TRUTH!!! AMEN!!!!!!

CicadaB

Post by CicadaB » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:10 am

Thank you for your comments - some interesting points. Although I can see the process isn't something you'll be choosing to go through, I appreciate your input.

solon

Post by solon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:55 am

birddog1968 wrote:I got one now i would love cloned if it was perfected,and cheap, my lab.

I quite agree that the cloned dog would not be the same as the parent.It might even have some genetic and epigenetic differences. But it would be close to the same in genotype. That said, cloning a dog multiple times would be a boon to research on genotype/phenotype relationships. In much the same manner as human genetic research can use identical twin/fraternal twin comparisons, the degree a phenotypic trait is heritable vs environmental can be estimated by such studies,(that is the contribution to the variances of each), even though the genes involved are completely unknown. It would be nice to know how much of the phenotype is due to genetics and how much is the result of experience and training. They say that the performance of a racing horse is only 30% genetic.

Solon

Dirtysailor

Post by Dirtysailor » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:44 pm

I think I would like to clone my first dog to see how he would do trained better, assuming all the Dolly related issues were solved.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:58 pm

How would you register a dog that was cloned ?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:31 pm

So, since genetically you have the same dog, could you clone a long dead champion from the epithelial cells in an AI sample and campaign him again?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

tn red

Post by tn red » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:57 pm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 204152.htm
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/15738839/
Its gaining alot of followers in horses,im not sure if i agree tho.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:56 am

Man, I tried to read up a bit about it and the information just made my head hurt. :lol:

Do you think that cloning could lead to a decline in live puppy sales and an increase in the sale of oocytes and nuclei in the distant future? Sort of a made to order pup rather than breeding an entire litter. A buyer can call up a supplier and the supplier can send the enucleated oocyte to the buyer who can take it to the lab and have it developed into a pup. Sort of weird but it could help to eliminate or at least drastically reduce the overpopulation of dogs. Takes the guesswork out of picking up a pup out of the litter and hoping for the best. Takes part of the fun out of it but also takes the gamble out of it for professional trialers.

Dirtysailor

Post by Dirtysailor » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:32 am

Whole thing could get interesting, having the best current trainers raise their own favorite dogs and running them head to head. Also could see trainer only competition where they all run the "same" dog raised and trained by them. $150K definitely not for the amateur. Has it actually been done with dogs yet?

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:21 am

When they cloned dolly the sheep, 3 sheep were involved, one for the egg, one for DNA, one to incubate the egg in other words she was concieved from a sheep so cloned or not it was a borth and therefore a completly different animal so a dog would be the same. I see no reason to expect the exact same dog like the most winning dog ever is cloned, cant expect the cloned dog to be that dog cause of the egg factor. SF makes it look like you can make an exact image and it is fully grown :) but that isnt how it is done. Then the cloned animal did not live as long as the normal non cloned sheep. 1/2 as long. So you may get a dog lives 1/2 as long as a normal one.

I will stay with natures way.

Now lets talk about steroids in competition animals and their detection :) is it happening today? :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:45 am

Wow!.. this is an amazing topic and very interesting! I think my wife would kill me if I ever had our EP cloned! :lol: She has enough energy to make up for two dogs & another one of her would do me in!!! :lol: Our old lab is another story! Don't anyone tell my wife about this or I'll be paying out the wazu for a clone of Ruffy! :oops: I'll stick to the natural way of things. I think cloning will cause new issues and could lead to many unforseen problems not thought of yet. What will the pedigrees be for a naturally bred dog with a cloned one??? And will they be able to eliminate certain problems, such as all of the hip issues without causing another problem?.. Like bone density or tumors? It's all way over my head. :oops: I would like to see what my old lab would have turned out after training if I knew then what I know now! :lol: Just don't tell the Mrs...
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

solon

Post by solon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:17 pm

Dirtysailor wrote:Whole thing could get interesting, having the best current trainers raise their own favorite dogs and running them head to head. Also could see trainer only competition where they all run the "same" dog raised and trained by them. $150K definitely not for the amateur. Has it actually been done with dogs yet?
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/05/world ... 17034.html

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/20 ... -dog_N.htm

genetically engineered dogs:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518309,00.html

Cloning a performance dog:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story? ... 708&page=1

Solon

Dirtysailor

Post by Dirtysailor » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Well that answers whether it has been done or not. The idea that whole litters are born is interesting. I find it odd they always use mixed breeds as the surrogate, makes one wonder if the atmosphere it is in is conveyed in anyway, one would think so. So if the same breed was used or at least one exposed to birds situations that could improve things one would infer. Really interesting topic, again way to much money but interesting.