Family or strictly hunting

hrchunter

Family or strictly hunting

Post by hrchunter » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:21 pm

I love having my dogs inside as family pets and they truely are part of the family as well as great field companions.what are everybodies thoughts on whether you should keep your dogs in a run or outside for hunting only,or including your dogs in your family like keeping them inside and doing other activities with them included like camping, fishing etc.,does any body think its a bad idea to keeps as family pets and for hunting at the same time does anybody think it makes a difference?
if u can't do it with a dog it aint worth doin

huntin dogs are like potato chips you can't have just one.

pear

Post by pear » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:29 pm

Yep, I think it does.......Mine just don't like to hunt if the don't have a warm snug bed at the foot of mine. They do great as part of the family. ..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:31 pm

Definitely part of the family. You need the "bond" you may not get from the dog living "by themselves" in a kennel. Remember, genetically, the dog is a pack animal. Make him/her part of yours but make sure they learn and know their position in it.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:40 pm

Love having my inside as pets and I love to spoil them.

Part of the bonding for me also.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

sdgord

inside or out

Post by sdgord » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:12 pm

Bird dogs belong in the house, each to his own crate, but between the bonding and following every command makes them easier to hunt with.SDGORD

my wife says my limit is four in the house, yippee got room for a new puppy

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:58 pm

Mine stays in my house of course. More than that, he gets to stay inside even at my parents' and my in-laws' houses, neither of which are dog owners.

When I get up at 4:30 to get ready for a hunt or for a hunt test, he rolls out of bed, stretches, yawns, licks his chops... If I'm not ready to go by the time he gets done with all that then he just jumps back on the bed and curls up until I come get him. Just like me, though, some days he's ready to go and others he'd rather be sleepin'. :wink:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Wesley Boothe

Post by Wesley Boothe » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:06 pm

My dogs (GSP's) hunt like crazy all day, but make no mistake they expect to be in the house when I am home. I would not have it any other way. Also I read an article about three years ago that said if your dogs sleep in the same room with you from the time you bring them home they will be more "calm". It must work because I get alot of comments on how "calm and well mannered" my dogs are. Anyway that's my story and I am sticking to it. By the way, that article is also how I convinced my wife that the dogs needed to be in the house.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:45 pm

I don't feel they are better performers in the field but they sure are more fun,give you more memories, and do perform to the top of their abilities when kept in the house.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:09 pm

same here

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:59 pm

Crap LoL they are cute pics. But screwed up trying to add mine :scratch:

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:04 pm

Both of my master hunters where raised in the house and sleep with use every night. The more your dog loves you the more they will do for you. Just my 2 cents.

hrchunter

Post by hrchunter » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:50 am

i feel the same way and would never put my dogs out it just aint right they are met to stay with you,thanks for the posts
if u can't do it with a dog it aint worth doin

huntin dogs are like potato chips you can't have just one.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:11 am

I have done it both ways. Its rather hard to keep them in the house when you have 15 or 20. When I got down to just one he stayed in the house but then we added another puppy and they stay out in the run most of the day and come in at night. Both sleep in their crates in the basement where it is cool.

There are advantages both ways but I do think you can get a little closer to your dogs if you have them inside. But for the family that can't or doesn't want to have them inside, a good kennel run is fine. The big thing is do what makes you happy and enjoy your dogs. They deserve the best care you can give them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

TOOTALL

Post by TOOTALL » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:42 pm

My girl stays in the house. Crated in our room at night. I dont think it would be that big of a deal to kennel outside if you have more than one dog. I personally dont think it is humane to keep a dog, pack animal by nature, isolated by itself all the time.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:10 am

i have done it both ways also. these days, the kennels are empty most of the time, and we have one or two in the house. really like it that way.

Maverick's House

Dogs as Companions

Post by Maverick's House » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:43 am

We have two....one Gordon Setter adult, one English Setter pup....both field bred. Both are or will be hunted or trialled.

At 4-1/2 yrs old, the Gordon is a well proven companion.....Kayaks, ATV's (back seat), snow shoes, etc with us. He hangs with us well. He seems to recognize the difference between an activity like this vs a hunt situation, where he's req'd to sweep out front with alot more go! No e-collar req'd...! Perhaps it's maturity.

HOWEVER......the English pup is another story. He has a ton of go, & because of that I see us having a very, very difficult time with him in similar outdoor activities.....he's a goner in the blink of an eye....it's in him...he wants birds! As such, it's obvious he needs an e-collar, and i'm not sure if I want to have a dog accompany me where i'm constantly having to reinforce, correct, etc just to keep him in sight, let alone "with us", while i'm so busy doing other things. I expect that during a good hunt or trial, but not when a dozen of us have our canoes and dogs out for a day run....gets a little frusterating chasing your dog on shore while everybody else has long since paddled downstream..!

Both dogs sleep in the house, this and outdoor activities difinitely makes them a better dog, they silently worship you for it. Just keep them under control.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:27 am

I have to say that I prefer having mine in the house. I curently have 3 brittanys. A 12 1/2 year old a 3 1/2 year old and an 8 month old pup.
There are times when I have thought about putting the pup outside but over all he is really well behaved. The solution to have over active dogs in the house for me has been to run the heck out of them at least once a day. I have a couple of fields nearby and an hour or so of leash running can do wonders for the dogs and they seem fine in the house after that.

Mav....

Maverick's House

Mav

Post by Maverick's House » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:46 am

How many Mavericks in Canada do we have....?

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:05 am

Not sure how many Mavericks there are up here in Canada.
I guess I have been using this name on the message boards for a good long time though and my new pups call name is Maverick.
His registered name is "Knine's Ghost Rider"
I like his call name as I bet you like your pups name. Good Choice :lol:

Mav....