Frustrated and need to vent......

jimbo&rooster

Frustrated and need to vent......

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:17 am

Alright so my sister in law and her huband came down last night for a BBQ. When they pulled in I was in the yard talking to my Father in law and airing my dogs. When they got out of their Range Rover, they were talking loud and waving real big and my two dog went over and bristled up and started barking. I called my dogs over and went into the barn and started watering. My SIL decided she wanted to see my GSP that my wife had been telling her about. He still wasnt sure about her and bristled up and wouldnt let her get near him. I told her to wait and Id get him settled down.

Next thing I knew she was in his face growling at him trying to, and I quote "assert her dominance". Well Ol' Rooster hadn't sat through orientation at Doggy Daycare and didn't know that he was supposed to submit..... Now I don't know how close rooster was to opening her up but he couldn't have missed by much. so for the rest of the evening I heard that my dogs should have more manners and should be kept in their kennels.......

Rooster was used to guide a couple of youth events last fall for QF and has hunted around kids and adults alike with no issue.

My SIL had grown up on the very farm me and my wife just bought and had been around animals her whole life, she should have known better, In the last 4yrs she hasn't been "home" around the farm more than 10 times, she married some doctor and they pay someone to train their puppy mill St. Bernard, and english bull dog. She actually learned to "Assert her Dominance" at Doggy Day Care!

What makes people feel like it is their business to correct someone elses dog? on a side note her husband let me finish what I was doing and introduce him to rooster and my boy spent a better part of the evening being petted by the Doc. still wouldnt let my SIL within 10ft of him this morning when they left.

sorry had to vent
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: Frustrated and need to vent......

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:47 am

I can relate, with different circumstances but can still relate jim..i usually get people that encourage my dogs to jump up on them by tapping on their chest :x whats worse is people even see me correct the dogs if they DO jump up after being encouraged to do so and they have said to me "oh its ok" :? NO its not ok, thats why im correcting the dog and you should get the hint that i dont want my dogs jumping up on people when i tell them DOWN :roll: i have found usually people that encourage a dog to behave without manners are the ones who have dogs without manners themselves and i would have been frustrated if i were you also, at least you kept it to yourself cause with family its alot different then when its a stranger you wont ever see again....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:55 am

I'm with you - I hate people that let my dogs jump on them. No, it is NOT OK. Oh, but thank you for trying to undo the training I've given them to NOT jump on people!

Your SIL needs her head examined. You just don't go putting your nose right in front of a strange dog's face, especially one that's already worked up. I don't care what her reasoning was.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Sue

Post by Sue » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:56 am

How to make an enemy of a dog you don't know... growl at him the first time you meet him! :evil:

That's like introducing yourself to a human you've never met by smacking him across the face, then wondering why the person isn't nice to you.

Duh!

This "dominance" mumbo jumbo is getting ridiculous.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:06 am

phermes1 wrote:I'm with you - I hate people that let my dogs jump on them. No, it is NOT OK. Oh, but thank you for trying to undo the training I've given them to NOT jump on people!

Your SIL needs her head examined. You just don't go putting your nose right in front of a strange dog's face, especially one that's already worked up. I don't care what her reasoning was.
I feel ya man. My SIL has been around working dogs her whole life, collies, shepherds, and a few non descript mongrels. About 5yrs ago she started dating this doctor and started running in his circles. As much as she likes to be the "farmers daughter" she has really gotten away from her roots.

It was like she just wanted to show off something she had just learned to some poor ignorant coutry folks. Id like to think she wont try it again...... Ill bet im wrong. fortunately her husband does really neat stitch work.

My father in law and I saddled up this morning to run my dogs and I vented at him about it and we agreed, she just has no clue.

JIm

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:21 am

Maybe you should've let him bite her... "Oh, that's just *him* asserting his dominance." :lol:
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:26 am

Dang. Thats raw. I gotta tell you my brother grew up alongside of me, we raised horses for Dads farm. Ok so I ask him to come take care of the horses, I call him while on vacation he says he threw them a bale of hay each "cause they were eating grass" :) I had to re educate him on taking care of horses again :( now I use a hired guy :) that knows livestock I dont have horses now but steers and my dogs.

When folks come over I lock them up in the kennels. Growl at my dogs and one I think for sure would eat her for lunch and that wouldbe a bad thing.

I had em locked up on the party last weekend I shoot off big stuff so they are locked up. Some kid went and opened the kennels so when them 4in guns started going off one female went nuts till Igot her back in her safe place.

Sorry bout the sil, cant pick yer relatives only yer friends and yer nose, never yer friends nose tho... :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:41 am

Yeah I don't blame you for venting...grab her by the hair on the back of her head and shake her, say NO...but only once.
Relatives are a p-i-t-a and in-laws are intolerable...
I seem bitter...
call him while on vacation he says he threw them a bale of hay each "cause they were eating grass"
Thats funny

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:46 am

AS much as we love our dogs and are proud of them , other people often don't share our enthusiasm.

I think company should be able to come to my house and not worry about my dogs.

They are kenneled in the TV room. If someone asks to touch one, then I let that one out.

Many people are scared to death of dogs and shouldn't have to worry about it when they visit.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jlowery

Post by jlowery » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:14 pm

Sharon wrote:AS much as we love our dogs and are proud of them , other people often don't share our enthusiasm.
This is no joke.... some people just don't understand how we feel about our dogs.

Also, had kinda the same thing happen with my SIL's dog this weekend, after i got the 411 of her opinion and everyone else's, i said well guess you don't need my help then, and sacked my stuff... HAHA!! Just for your information it was a beagle mix puppy that needed his nails trimmed. Go pay for it then... I'M OUT!!!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:18 pm

If you just stand back and look at it from a different perspective it is pretty funny...I was just picturing your SIL in your dogs face growling :roll:
brenda

Spark

Post by Spark » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:20 pm

she is lucky I had a friend who was teasing another friends Heinz 57 little yappy dog by growling in his face (he was playing with the dog or at least he thought) and he bit my friend right in the mouth. haha he never did that again and stated right after that was stupid!!! he had a pretty nasty looking lip after that for a week or so.

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Kind of same story here.. My male as a pup hated it when soemone would blow in his face. My sister in law was blowing in his face at Christmas dinner and he snapped at her, i asked her to stop bc he will bite you I said, 2 seconds later she is screaming and crying and bleeding bc she once more blew in his face, and that time he had the reach to get to her mouth and nose. Then i had the you have a horrible dog trip, which I dispelled quickly bc of her stupidity!

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:00 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:Next thing I knew she was in his face growling at him trying to, and I quote "assert her dominance".
That is pretty funny :lol: .
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Onk

Post by Onk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:07 pm

My GAWD....everyone knows it won't work unless she gets down on all 4's then growls....and she was raised on a farm you say! :lol:
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:22 pm

That is a Sure fire way to get bite in the Face who teaches these Yuppy Idiots that crap I'd like to find that person and shoot them. I deal with this kinda crap on a Daily basis now yuppy's and there perfect little angles drives me Nuts !

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:36 pm

Ohhhh, don't even get me started on Dogs and In-Laws. :roll: :lol:

My wife's mother is terrified of larger dogs because of some deep seeded thing in her mind about a childhood experience she had. She was able to overcome the anxiety of my 2 dogs when our daughter was born and she stayed for a week.

So, I now have 9 dogs. She hasn't been back since. :mrgreen:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:37 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:So, I now have 9 dogs. She hasn't been back since. :mrgreen:
To bad my MIL isn't scared of dogs :( :( She is scared of snakes :lol: but so am I :oops:

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:57 pm

gittrdonebritts wrote:
prairiefirepointers wrote:So, I now have 9 dogs. She hasn't been back since. :mrgreen:
To bad my MIL isn't scared of dogs :( :( She is scared of snakes :lol: but so am I :oops:
If my dogs were the size of footballs, had a brain and capacity to learn like a hermit crab, wore stupid little sweater-vests like Jim Tressell, and ate gourmet dogfood, then my MIL would be all "Ooooooh! Shhhhtanley! Your sooooo pwwweeeettty! Whhhooooo's a Goooood Booooy??? Sooooo Handshum! Tuuummmm Hereeee! Kuuuum See Grandma!!! Yes, Come seee ur Grrrwwwandma! - like she is when she's around my BIL's "Dogs" :|

I just vomited a little in my mouth typing this...
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:58 pm

gittrdonebritts wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...ruth

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:00 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:
gittrdonebritts wrote:
If my dogs were the size of footballs, had a brain and capacity to learn like a hermit crab, wore stupid little sweater-vests like Jim Tressell, and ate gourmet dogfood, then my MIL would be all "Ooooooh! Shhhhtanley! Your sooooo pwwweeeettty! Whhhooooo's a Goooood Booooy??? Sooooo Handshum! Tuuummmm Hereeee! Kuuuum See Grandma!!! Yes, Come seee ur Grrrwwwandma! - like she is when she's around my BIL's "Dogs" :|

I vomited reading it :mrgreen:

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:04 pm

Man this thread has evolved into quite the comedic relief from work!

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:13 pm

After her mom was here after our daughters birth and then left, I came in and my wife says "Whats wrong" and I rambled on about how her mother is about the dogs, and how she's impossible to deal with and such. My wife said "She just doesn't understand... She wasn't raised around dogs like you were"

I rebuttled: "Yeah, well I wasn't raised around your mother like you were, and I SURE as HECK don't understand her!" :lol:
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:25 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:After her mom was here after our daughters birth and then left, I came in and my wife says "Whats wrong" and I rambled on about how her mother is about the dogs, and how she's impossible to deal with and such. My wife said "She just doesn't understand... She wasn't raised around dogs like you were"

I rebuttled: "Yeah, well I wasn't raised around your mother like you were, and I SURE as HECK don't understand her!" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:26 pm

I must have good in-laws... or weird ones... my FIL likes to feed Gunner from his mouth... :roll:
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:31 pm

jmsgunner wrote:I must have good in-laws... or weird ones... my FIL likes to feed Gunner from his mouth... :roll:
you In laws a wired :P my FIL does nothing but talk about how much it must cost to feed all those dogs and how much they must shed, and MIL say's I should be a better person and get all my dogs from shelters like her :roll:

Thinking

Post by Thinking » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:33 pm

People really have no idea when it comes to other peoples dogs. I had taken in a rather large intact 2y/o male Great Dane who was a rescue several years ago. He had a lot of baggage and hadn't been socialized at all before we took him in. When we were out for a walk on winter day, a couple of our "Neighbors" from the city were up at their camp for the weekend.

"What a nice boy! May I pet him?" obviously not listening
"NO, PLEASE DON'T PET THE DOG" now, I'm not a small, quiet guy, and I hardly ever have difficulty making myself understood.
"Oh, what a cutie!" extending her hand directly into his face
"NO!"
She looks at me blankly for a moment then continues jamming her hand ungraciously into his face.
"HE BIT ME!"
"What did you expect? Are you daft?"

I'm glad she was wearing ridiculously heavy leather mittens with wool duffels. It was a single bite, more like a quick "Please stop" grab, with no real damage, and she certainly deserved it, however it was far more hassle than I ever want to deal with again.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:02 pm

Everyone involved should probably be thankful Rooster didn't hike his leg on her at first meeting.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:19 pm

jmsgunner wrote:I must have good in-laws... or weird ones... my FIL likes to feed Gunner from his mouth... :roll:
:lol: :lol: Im dyin here :lol: :lol: ...ruth

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Everyone involved should probably be thankful Rooster didn't hike his leg on her at first meeting.
they should also be thankful his SIL showed dominance by growling at Rooster instead of marking her territory :P :lol: ...ruth

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Well its good to know that im not the only one who has dumbasses for in laws. I wish that ol' rooster would have hiked his leg and wizzed on her..... All I can say is I imagine that she will think twice before she does it again..... My father in law did tell me today that when she went over to his house later that she made wide circles around his 160lb squirelly "bleep" mastiff :D.

Jim

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:44 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:
gittrdonebritts wrote:

If someone talked to my dogs like that I don't know If they would be allowed in my house. haha

Jim

laxhcky4

Post by laxhcky4 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:58 am

My in-laws are pretty good. Funny thing is, they have 2 labs that aren't allowed in the house. When we go visit, they insist that we have Stella inside and she gets a lot of attention from them. They absolutely love her. All of this coming from my FIL who thought I was crazy to get a run-off shorthair that won't listen and run away and hunt for itself in the field. I just might convert him yet.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:49 am

best thread ever!!!

jlowery

Post by jlowery » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:59 pm

MO_GSP wrote:best thread ever!!!
+1 Agree LMAO