When to get a pup.

greener280

When to get a pup.

Post by greener280 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:06 pm

I am thinking about getting a new Pointing Lab pup. My question is when do you think the best time to get the pup would be for training purposes. Our Bird season for me would start early october here in idaho.

Any input would be apperciated.

Sue

Re: When to get a pup.

Post by Sue » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:29 am

When ever you can get the pup you are looking for. Research lines. Meet breeders. Meet the sire and dam. Take the time to find the right pup, and you'll be getting him at the perfect time. ;)

If it turns out he's still a very young fella at first bird season, then let him be a puppy and have a low pressure, fun first season. If he's older, by the time its his first season, then he may be able to perform at a higher level. Hopefully you have at least 10 years with him. There's no hurry. Let a puppy be a puppy. :)
Last edited by Sue on Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:38 am

True, go through what lines best go hand in hand with you. When and if u find them pounce, because there not always there, but again research! Good luck :)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:40 am

Puppies are highly overrated. Get a young started dog and you will be ready to roll without all the puppy raising nonsense.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:43 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Puppies are highly overrated. Get a young started dog and you will be ready to roll without all the puppy raising nonsense.
Puppies are overrated?? I bet you are a fun date!!

:wink:

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:44 am

greener280 wrote:I am thinking about getting a new Pointing Lab pup. My question is when do you think the best time to get the pup would be for training purposes. Our Bird season for me would start early october here in idaho.

If everything else works, get the pup this fall that way it will be a year old for the next season.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:52 am

mcbosco wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:Puppies are highly overrated. Get a young started dog and you will be ready to roll without all the puppy raising nonsense.

They are. Biggest problem I see is people either overprotect them or they let them get by with felonious behavior because they are cute.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

DougB

Post by DougB » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:55 am

The best time to get a pup is when the wife is away for a week. The 48 hour rule then applies.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:09 am

I don't know Casey I am rather enjoying my first ever bird dog puppie experience. I always did the older,most often times misfit, dog because I could not afford the price of a new pup. So I tried working with mostly dogs people had given up on. So my vote would be start from scratch! :D Casey makes a valid point if you don't like the pup part of dogs and want to hit the bird grounds running!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:12 am

DougB wrote:The best time to get a pup is when the wife is away for a week. The 48 hour rule then applies.
Can you send me a copy of this rule....I'm not sure my wife know's about it and I know she won't believe me without proof! :lol:
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:13 am

greener280 wrote:I am thinking about getting a new Pointing Lab pup. My question is when do you think the best time to get the pup would be for training purposes. Our Bird season for me would start early october here in idaho.

Is the dog gonna be an inside dog considering idaho weather, if so get a pup you can house train! Harder to house train an older dog imo

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:27 am

The way I read your question it is about how soon you need to get one to have enough time to train it for hunting season.

My answer would be 2 years ago.

Don't worry about training for this season. In fact, it may or may not be a good idea to take a 6 months or younger pup on a hunt at all, depending on the circumstances. By next years season, you could have started some basic training and the pup should be ready.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:31 am

I'm kinda partial to pups. The whole lifetime bonding experience and they seem to be easier to work with if raised from a pup. That's my opinion anyway. And Casey stop being a funhater. :D

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:45 am

I would not get a pup based on when hunting season is in your area. Find a breed/pup/breeder you like and fits your needs, and go from there. Get what you want, and what is a good fit for both you and your new pup, not whats immediately available. Any pup you get this year, could go hunting for exposeure (if handled properly) but dont expect a lot. The only reasons I worry about timing for me is the amount of time I would have when I get the pup, and financial considerations. If I dont have the money to get the pup I want, I wouldnt buy a pup I had enough for at the time. Basically, have a good paln.

I happen to like pups, but also think Im gonna get a started dog in the fall. Both have their advantages, with the started having less unknowns obviously.

Do you have a pointing lab litter/breeder in mind??

Sue

Post by Sue » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Some of us ADORE the puppy stage, but you gotta love it if you're gonna do it.

A puppy is an entirely different creature from a grown dog. Think human toddler versus 20 year old human. Different needs, different drives, different capabilities, much, MUCH more work!

I think the biggest mistake folks make with puppies is not realizing they are the dog equivalent of little children. You can't make a 2 year old pay attention very long or sit still and behave until he's a little older.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Best time to get a pup is after you research and educate yourself on how your going to get it trained up.

Getting a pup then scrambling around trying to decide how your going to get it trained or what method to use is the wrong way around.

Check out Gunclublabs.com if your interested in a PL, their training book is a great resource.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:00 pm

I would say after you built a nice pigeon coop an have a 20 or so homer's homing well would be a great time to have a new pup.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Ideally I like to have a pup late spring early summer so that I can have alot of time to socialize with it (i teach middle school). Also by the time hunting season rolls around you have a pup that is big enough to go out and enjoy walking through the field for the first season and you both get to have a relaxed season to feel eachother out.

As far as puppies being over rated.... When we had hounds I have bought started dogs and have thought about it with bird dogs, but to be 100% honest My favorite time in a dogs life are the first 2yrs when they are learning and full of life and the last couple of years when they have matured into that grizzled old vet that you know you can count on.

Apart from the bond a young dog forms with me, I have never felt the same way about a dog that I got later in its life as I have the ones I have seen grow up.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

greener280

Post by greener280 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Thanks for all of the replies. If I do get one I will be sticking to a kennel in the northwest, I have been looking at tiger mountain as the most likely place I would go with. Does anyone have any exp. or and info on goos kennels.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:49 pm

You might check Trieven and sauk river, also look up TDK (topdog Kennel)

I wouldn't let a little distance choose my pup, that extra shipping/driving money is a small price to pay to get the dog you are going to spend the next 15 years with.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

deke

Post by deke » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:01 pm

I highly recommend tiger mountain. You will not be disapointed. my pup is right around ten months and he has pointed since we had him. He points at everything from his food, the tv, and live birds. He retrieves like no other lab I have seen, he hits the water hard and has been since the first time he went in. The best thing about Tiger mountain is that they guarentee a pointing pup. If your pup does not point you will get a new one or John will put birds in front of your dog until it does. If you get a dog from him make sure to wait for one of Teddys breedings. We watched that dog work for a few hours and it was scary how good he was. just my two cents though, PM me if you have any more questions.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:23 pm

pm sent

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:24 pm

mcbosco wrote:

ROFLMBO I didn't know you were funny too mcbosco. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Max2

Post by Max2 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:30 pm

IMO it does not matter when you get him as long as the time is right for you and your schedule. Dogs are a long term commitment. I am a stickler for research of the dog I will get. I also like to get them at 7 wks old. If you do get a pup at seven wks let him/her be a puppy.
Good Luck !

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:54 pm

There are benefits to fall/winter puppies and benefits to spring/summer puppies. You have to fit them into what works best for you... but don;''t count on pushing the puppy hard to hunt on their first season no matter when they were born. They all mature at their own rate and need time to be a puppy.

The pre-puppies stuff is just as important. Be sure to do due-dilligence and get on that has all the health clearances. After seeing one with EIC (Exercise Induced Collapse) last weekend, read-up and make sure you get clearances for that if you are looking at labradors... you don;t every want to see what I did! (and don;t let a breeder BS you and say "it's not in our lines"... it is in a wide variety of lines and is a recessive gene that carriers don't express but can produce)