FEELING LIKE WE FAILED JERSEY AND HER BREEDER..(UPDATE)

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

FEELING LIKE WE FAILED JERSEY AND HER BREEDER..(UPDATE)

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:59 am

well im always on the forum with open and honest information regarding training with jersey and how things are progressing positively so i can only be fair by posting a set back as well..myself and my family LOVE this little pup (7 months old today) and with a very heavy heart have decided to offer her back to her breeder..he is away on vacation so i have not put her up on the forum for sale as of now because i want to discuss with him 1st choice of having the chance to have her back..her breeder is one of the most involved, knowledgable, patient people ive dealt with in the dog world and my husband and i have been in contact with him for the last 5 months pretty much daily on her progress so when we started to have issues with her barking i contacted him and weve been discussing solutions since..unfortunatly i live in a subdivision until next summer when we will be moving to the country (if all goes as planned) and in my subdivision there is NO tolerance for barking and noise bylaws are strickly enforced..i dont want to go on and on about the situation but weve tried everything and even had a behaviourist come to evaluate the barking and behaviour to see what steps to take but to no resolution..jersey is a wonderful, loving and beyond smart puppy whose only issue is she has become protective of our home and of us and is just being a dog that doesnt understand we have rules that dont allow her to be so vocal..she is the most fun loving pup ive met and is literally a sponge yearning for knowledge, she is easily trained and loves to sleep on her blanket with her buddy tyson (our boxer)..shes had over 100 birds shot over her and i have no doubt she will be a great birddog for waterfowl and upland..she is steady to the flush, loves to retrieve ANYTHING you throw and weve done duck searches with her and shes a natural..she got her NA TEST prize 1 with a score of 110 at only 5 months old and i think she could have even got it sooner she has such natural abilities..we have worked with her in a blind, she will retrieve threw decoys like they arent even there and had planned on her taking her UT test in october with no doubt she would score a prize 1 after doing the drills of the test with her..she has been reliable on WHOA even if shes chasing a rabbit or squirrel she will stop on a dime if WHOA'D by us..she will range from 50 to 300 yards no problem and has begun whistle and hand signal training as well..my husband and i are torn as we feel as though 1 issue should not out weigh all the positives about her but its something weve discussed and must do.. im just so devastated with this words cannot explain..i want to thank a certain individual who ive been talking to on here in the last week, i wasnt going to post anything about this but realized ive shared so much about jersey over the last 5 months people will defintely wonder about her or have questions about her when i stop posting updates..when jersey goes i will be left birddogless and probably wont post on here much at all but want you all to know that i respect what you do with your dogs and your passion, i understand the addiction and love for birddogs and hope i havent let any of you down who have been following jerseys posts and have been encouraging me as a newbie trainer..thank you ALL for reading this and if in the event jerseys breeder cannot take her back i will be putting her on the forum for sale to a good home which she more then deserves....ruth :(
i just wanted to share my disappointment in myself and in the situation not hurt or anger anyone, thanks...
Last edited by GUNDOGS on Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

jmsgunner

Re: FEELING LIKE WE FAILED JERSEY AND HER BREEDER..

Post by jmsgunner » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:23 am

Don't be so hard on yourself, it seems you have exhausted all the options you could think of. I didn't see you mention a bark collar, though I kind of am figuring you've tried it.

Hope all works out for you and Jersey some way some how, maybe there will be a light at the end of the tunnel after all. Perhaps some time training with your breeder would be helpful?
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:48 am

Ruth -

I have a question. Understanding that your move to the country is a year away, would it be feasible for you to put the dog with a trainer for that year or with someone for that year?

I know it is a long time and trainers can be expensive, especially for continental breeds, but perhaps your breeder can suggest someone willing to foster the dog for a year until you get your situation resolved.

It is obvious that you are committed to the youngster and although a year is a long time, it is not so long in terms of a dog's lifespan.

RayG

stevoman

Post by stevoman » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:15 am

Hi Ruth

i just read you post and firslty let me say how sorry i feel for you. Firstly Ray had an excellent idea of putting her in with a trainer for the year. Secondly have you tried the bark collar at all? This could actually work as i have seen them work to effect before. It would be such a pity to put so much work into a pup to have to give it away.
Follow my Springer Spaniels upland bird and wildfowl season here in Ireland on twitter. - just search - cooltederry gundogs

Vman

Post by Vman » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:19 am

As mentioned, did you try a GOOD bark collar?
Have you considered a Co-Owner? Someone that can take her for the next year and you could go train/play when you have time. You would not be loosing her.

bhulisa

Post by bhulisa » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:21 am

Ruth - If the standard bark collar has not or doesn't work, you might try a citronella collar (sprays a shot of citronella when activated, dogs hate it). I know people that have used it with very good results. Trudi

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:29 am

Ruth Sorry to hear of what you are faced with

I also see you didn't mention the bark collar

Another thing which would be interesting to know if the Dam or sire were vocal.. I have noticed this is a few of the setters I have to deal with...those that come from this one dog though good on hunting every thing from that line barks and barks and barks :roll: and they have the same type bark :? ....

Anyway I have gotten a couple under some what control and no it wasn't fun but I put the Tri Tronics Bark Collar on so that it makes good contact and I started it at 4 on the serious compulsive barkers and I hide and told everyone to stay out of sight and will warn people that what happens next will not be fun but the only rescue for the dog is for the dog to "Be Quiet" ..Obviously this has to be done in an area where average people aren't going to try and rescue the dog that will only make it worse...the dog has to learn it is the bark that causes the bite and many will yelp which again will cause the collar to bite I have had some dog squaller for a few minutes before they figured out that when they are quiet the collar stops biting them...until the dog has quieted down and is not offering to make any more barks Then come back into the picture as here again QUIET gets a reward of your presence if she begins to get vocal turn away if she barks walk away till she has settled down

PS this dogs have the e collar on in the field and when this is done where the dog is allowed to learn the consequences of their own actions field work is not interrupted as the field work at least for us is when and if the collar needs to be used it is always at a lower level.

The reason I like tri tronics as it doesn't allow for a bark or two before it begins to stimulate and you set the levels I also do not like playing the warning game as I see all to many dogs that have learned how to bark through the other collars PS most the ones the figure out those other collars are the GSP's :wink: to smart for their own britches

It is a TOUGH LOVE approach but it could be one way to be able to keep your girl
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:44 am

I had the same probkems with my dog for a few months... she would bark non stop unless I was with her. Once she was on a stake out all the time she finally shut up. Mix the steakout with the tri tronics bark collar set on 4 and they learn really fast.

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:51 am

Ruth,

I haven't talked to Brian about this yet but there might be a possibility on sending her out here till you get your new place. It would be a shame if you had to lose her. I have a few pups that will be getting thier first season on chukars this year, she'd fit right in with them.

Justin

terrym

Post by terrym » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:11 am

Sounds like you have a special dog in Jersey. I understand your dilemma but perhaps you can find someone to board her unil your move out of the subdivision? Whatever you end up doing don't beat yourself up, you are just acting responsibly both for your dog and neighbours. Sometimes life sucks.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:24 am

Do you both work away from home? When is she doing the barking? I have cured and seen cured some pretty hard case barkers that were on skid row from noise bylaws.

GBranch830

Post by GBranch830 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:45 am

so sorry to hear about yall's situation ruth. To me it sounds like your best bet is to find a co-owner, or just someone who is looking for an extra hunting buddy for a year but has the extra room in the kennel. My guess is with the network of trainers/enthusiast here you should be able to find that with some research. Best of luck

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:48 am

Ruth,

So sorry to hear about your situation. I have a GSP that will bark right through a TT Level 5 bark collar. It has helped some but he still barks. Some just can't be cure of it. I appreciate your responsibility as a dog owner and wanting what's best for you and the dog.

Bill

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:00 am

by Cajun Casey » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:38 am

What if the trainer doesn't want her back and you can't sell her?
Well based on her history of being distant and irresponsible with this dog and the countless rescues she has mentioned one would have to believe that she will either shoot her or leave her in the WalMart parking lot.

What is the purpose of asking that?

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:09 am

[quote="Cajun Casey"]What if the trainer doesn't want her back and you can't sell her?[/quote.

I would be willing to bet this is not going to be a problem!!
Last edited by ben33127 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:10 am

Ruth,

I HATE that you have to make this decision. However - and I am NOT normally an advocate - but what about surgery to de-bark Jersey? Surely the superior home she has with you and the countless ways you and your hubby take such joy in having her around and training would outweigh concern about the surgery. I am one that would do this if it was a last-ditch effort and nothing else worked. I think that's where you are. She's not going to have as good of a home as you provide anywhere else - of this I am sure. I am also sure you could find her a suitable home - but if surgery can make you able to keep her, then can you see about that?

So sorry you're going through this Ruth!

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:14 am

Sorry Ruth but this sounds like a cop-out to me. I too live in the city with restrictions and I have birddogs and a very loud coonhound that always has a bark collar/dummy collar on. I do understand your frustration because I have recently gotten rid of a very nice pup due to excessive barking on part but I did need to make kennel space. The barking was the deciding factor because the pup would just lay in his house and litterally bark at nothing all day. It would be and is ok if they briefly bark at people in the alley or folks walking on the sidewalk outside of our privacy fence. My question is...is there something more to getting rid of her besides the barking? A bark collar will keep them quiet but they will become collar smart usaully and go right back to barking as soon as they figuar out they are not wearing a collar. BTW tri tronics makes a great bark collar for 100 bucks that has a motion shut off when the dog is still and counts the corrections that has been made. Good Luck.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:19 am

slistoe wrote:Do you both work away from home? When is she doing the barking? I have cured and seen cured some pretty hard case barkers that were on skid row from noise bylaws.
I just cured a certified obsessive barker...no collar. It can be done and should be done, its in the dogs best interest in the long run.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:28 am

Ruth, I feel like I know you, your family, and Jersey through your posts. I am sure this is no easy decision, and I'm sad for you. I hope you don't take offense to suggestions, as everyone just wants to see you and Jersey happy--together.

I hope others have put up some suggestions like the bark collar that may help your situation. I also thought of the trainers, or a show handler, or doggie daycare to alleviate the situation until you get your place in the country. Of course all those things require money. I think like others, that one year won't be much lost, when you will have so many more in front of you. I am thinking in my own situation, that I could probably pay one of my NAVHDA friends a very small fee to board my dog, and go see and work with her on weekends, training days, etc...until that year is up. I don't know the situation, but if she doesn't bark in the house, she would lose all outside freedom...unless I was there to correct her or engage her in activity. She'd be on a cc for potty times, and then I'd take her out a few times a day to play fetch or what not to burn off energy.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:40 am

thanks for the replies everyone, we have tried 2 different bark collars and she shows a response, even yiped, but not for long and back at it..i took it off after a week because she seems to be nervous, even started shaking when i put in on in the mornings (i didnt let her sleep with it on) and i dont want to take away her confidence and spirit as shes such a happy confident pup..i am home ALOT as we own our own business and she barks if shes laying there and even hears someone outside talk or laugh ect..then EVERY time shes put outside she runs around the yard with her hair up on her back barking and wont stop so i WHOA her and go get her and bring her in..a neighbour came over last week and said jersey woke him up in the morning, since we wake up at 5am we put the dogs out to pee and she starts as soon as she hits the yard so we are always having to drop what we are doing to go out and get her to come in and be quiet..so shes basically barking inside and out..also we have a pool so even if im outside in the pool and someone comes out on their deck and says hi to me she barks and goes upto the fence as if to say DONT TALK, so i have to get out of the pool and go get her to put her in the house but the problem is i have a 4 year old and im finding i have to leave my 4 year old unattended at times to tend to jerseys barking because ive now had the police come to issue a warning to the noise and next comes a ticket..if we leave jersey in the house and go outsides she barks LOUD and continuous from her crate and you can still hear it outside although not as loud its still continuing..she barks when people come in our home and having 5 kids i always have children coming in and out and she barks almost the entire time they are here.. i feel like im going on a rant about her and i dont mean to but i just want everyone to get an idea of the entire situation because shes just a pup possibly going threw a phase and i myself do not like barking but at least if i had no neighbours i could ignore her so shes sees no attention is given when she barks even if it is a correction..as far as a trainer i have spoke to a few and even a few on here by pm's that agree she could use some time away from us to become less protective BUT every trainer ive spoke to agrees her barking will not get BETTER in a kennel environment as it is common for dogs to bark at a kennel/training facility and may even worsen her behavior so after MANY HOURS of discussion my husband and i decided it didnt makes sense to send her to someone and pay quite a bit of money to just have her come back with the same or possibly worse issue and miss a year of her life when she could bond with someone else instead of being shifted around..believe me when i say this has been discussed in depth with my husband and i and its not something weve taken lightly and as i said we are both very upset..debarking is not something you can get done here as far as i know, i called 6 vets to see and none do it and all said its something done in the u.s so im not too educated on it but i have seen and heard a dog debarked and they still bark just not as loud, i would hate to have that done to a 7 month old pup especially since this issue is major for me but may be little to no issue at all to someone else..very sorry you look at me as a "cop out" RONR, and theres absolutely NO other issue with this pup shes a wonderful puppy with truely unlimited potential, this situation and working on a resolution has consumed my life for weeks now and has really upset my kids as well..thanks everyone.....ruth
Last edited by GUNDOGS on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:57 am

I can recommend an excellent trainer in Ontario, that i have used off and on for several years.

Lives between Stoney Creek and Niagara Falls.

I recommend you talk to him and see what he says about taking the dog, working on the barking, and training.( He is not cheap.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:01 am

Well, that description certainly doesn't make me believe that you have done everything you could. A dog in the house with their owner/trainer that still barks when told not to has simply not been trained IMO. I haven't seen a dog yet that could not be trained to be quiet when told. The hard part is convincing them to stay quiet for a long time or when away from the handler.

Since you were neglectful in training this and allowed it to become an established behavior it will be harder now. Get some lemon juice or vinegar and a squirt bottle, be diligent and make sure your dog absolutely believes that you mean be quiet - every single time. No yelling, no ranting, no isolation, just "Quiet". No more than a week should do it with tune ups afterward.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:11 am

Sorry hate to be the ahole but you are the one that took the bark collar off of her. Enough with the new school Caesar Milan crap. Put the bark collar on the dog regardless of if you hurt her feelings. She will get over it. Use a hose and spray her in the face if she won't stop barking and if need be beat the dog's a$#. You seem like a very sweet lady and a nice person but sometimes you have to stand up, take charge, and be a dog owner and not a parent of a furry child. There is no offense intended and I am sorry if you take the post that way. Jersey's only problem is not that she has become protective of the home her only problem is she has gotten away with the barking and acting up and needs stronger discipline. Also good luck with moving out of that communist neighborhood you live in.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:15 am

TT Bark collar, as K9 says..They might be nervous for a bit, but give it awhile..They have to get accustomed to a "new" behavior...Keeping their mouth shut. Then they know what the Bark C is on there for..I would ONLY put it on for situations they are barking over. Not in house, sleeping, ect...If she is out daily in a kennel, good time for it. I generally go with a 3 setting...Not overkill....
brenda

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:56 am

GUNDOGS wrote:she barks if shes laying there and even hears someone outside talk or laugh ect..then EVERY time shes put outside she runs around the yard with her hair up on her back barking and wont stop so i WHOA her and go get her and bring her in..a neighbour came over last week and said jersey woke him up in the morning, since we wake up at 5am we put the dogs out to pee and she starts as soon as she hits the yard so we are always having to drop what we are doing to go out and get her to come in and be quiet..so shes basically barking inside and out..also we have a pool so even if im outside in the pool and someone comes out on their deck and says hi to me she barks and goes upto the fence as if to say DONT TALK, so i have to get out of the pool and go get her to put her in the house
Ruth, she sounds like a spoiled brat to me.
snips wrote:..I would ONLY put it on for situations they are barking over. Not in house, sleeping, ect...If she is out daily in a kennel, good time for it. I generally go with a 3 setting...Not overkill....
I will have to disagree with you a little here because I would suggest leaving the b collar on at all times. But I do agree on the 3 setting for most dogs.

I agree with you Tommy.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:12 am

Well based on her history of being distant and irresponsible with this dog and the countless rescues she has mentioned one would have to believe that she will either shoot her or leave her in the WalMart parking lot.

Ruth, I feel sorry for you and I hope you find a way to get this fixed. Chucker, I just about fell off the couch.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:24 am

Ron R wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:she barks if shes laying there and even hears someone outside talk or laugh ect..then EVERY time shes put outside she runs around the yard with her hair up on her back barking and wont stop so i WHOA her and go get her and bring her in..a neighbour came over last week and said jersey woke him up in the morning, since we wake up at 5am we put the dogs out to pee and she starts as soon as she hits the yard so we are always having to drop what we are doing to go out and get her to come in and be quiet..so shes basically barking inside and out..also we have a pool so even if im outside in the pool and someone comes out on their deck and says hi to me she barks and goes upto the fence as if to say DONT TALK, so i have to get out of the pool and go get her to put her in the house
Ruth, she sounds like a spoiled brat to me.
snips wrote:..I would ONLY put it on for situations they are barking over. Not in house, sleeping, ect...If she is out daily in a kennel, good time for it. I generally go with a 3 setting...Not overkill....
I will have to disagree with you a little here because I would suggest leaving the b collar on at all times. But I do agree on the 3 setting for most dogs.

I agree with you Tommy.
I also normally start off with a 3 but then at this point I am trying to curb something before it gets out of hand

here we have a dog that sounds like she is out of hand enough so it is causing issues with the neighbors so this is where I would up it a notch to seriously imprint that barking comes with a severe price and Yes I do ignore the sulky behavior..if you buy into it they learn how to get away with stuff ...if you ignore it they learn to deal with it when they figure out nothing bad is happening...Kinda like the kid that was sent to the corner because they were told to do the dishes and they back talked ..they eventually learn if they want to go play they better get the dishes done and they do them pissing and moaning maybe even crying..but the dishes finally get done :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:33 am

I use a hose and a intimidating presence.....bark collar would be my last resort.

Question- if a person goes the bark collar route, isn't it always something that has to be worn? Without it is the behavior still there?

Again I like the hose, dog never knows when a hose might appear and they are being quiet because they respect me and the consequences. Just broke one that would make you want to strangle her, worst barker I've ever seen, she is quiet in the kennel and quiet on the stakeout.....good for the dog and good for me. She can now live her life in a more relaxed stable manner and she's not in imminent danger of being throttled :lol:

I have to agree with Ron, pup sounds spoiled. Time to take back control.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:43 am

I guess I am being harsh here, but as nice as your pup is in the field, I find it extremely hard to believe you are giving this pup up for such a little thing that can be fixed.
brenda

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:05 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
snips wrote:Mostly, she heehaws like a donkey when she's happy excited.
Can you get a video of this? :lol:
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:05 pm

snips wrote:I guess I am being harsh here, but as nice as your pup is in the field, I find it extremely hard to believe you are giving this pup up for such a little thing that can be fixed.

+1
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:13 pm

jmsgunner wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:
snips wrote:Mostly, she heehaws like a donkey when she's happy excited.
Can you get a video of this? :lol:
I can try! Her mother does it, too. It's like a happy whine, but more, well, donkey-like! Her grandmother's brother does the spinning roo-roos when he's excited. They are weird.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:18 pm

Ruth I sent you a PM

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:29 pm

If she comes with the paperwork and unlimited registration without a Q in front of the number. I will take the dog off of your hands no questions asked and ill pay for shipping. She can go find birds 4 days a week.... let me know.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:41 pm

snips wrote:I guess I am being harsh here, but as nice as your pup is in the field, I find it extremely hard to believe you are giving this pup up for such a little thing that can be fixed.
Dang Brenda, stop bening so harsh :lol: :D :lol: .

If this is you being harsh you must truely be a nice and pollite woman. BTW, we had lunch together at the DOY but I didn't know it was you until later....so hi :) . Also, I wasn't in a very good mood because I just had a bad run (2/2 and a Back) and was waiting to be officially cut so I could drive home.

Fair Fields

Post by Fair Fields » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:50 pm

Out of respect for Brian, it would have been wise to wait until he returned from vacation and had this duscussion with him before putting it on the forum. Now you have folks offering to take the dog from you and others questioning your true motives. Dogs bark that really isn't a big deal. However, rehoming a dog is a big deal and Brian should be consulted first IMO.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:54 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:
I don't think you are being harsh at all. It is a simple problem, although it should have been addressed at inception. I have a seven month old going out of state and the first thing I told the prospective new owner is, "Her father was the first dog his trainer ever walloped for barking." This girl and her littermates were worked on from the beginning for quiet. She barks a bit, but knocks it off. Mostly, she heehaws like a donkey when she's happy excited.
in all fairness this is NOT a little thing that can be fixed easily or it would have been fixed already..i am getting a tonne of pm's from others who have been threw or are going threw the same thing and its not always easy to fix..ive gotten alot of HELPFUL suggestions and i am going to try a few today..including the FIGURE 8 the smiths recommend in their video..ive been trying everything possible and i am open to ANY help but speculating and critisizing me doesnt change a thing..ive been in contact with her breeder about the issue and he will be home this weekend so we can discuss this further..ive been working at a solution for 3 weeks ive used 2 bark collars had a behaviorist try to give me a hand on some tips, ive called several trainers including some on here, ive spoke to many people for help regarding this issue although im just posting this today it didnt just start last night..also the hose spraying is the last thing this pup would react to, she loooves the hose and stands by it in order for me to spray her..she has played in the hose with my other dogs all along and getting sprayed and chasing the water is a reward for her..anyway the only reason i posted this was to let everyone know where we are at at this point in time and to share my frustration now that the police are involved, which is no little thing..i have to live amongst my neighbours and im hoping to keep peace here without going to court or getting a darn ticket.. im talking to as many people i can to get help..RICKYTRICKYSHORTHAIRS has connected me with someone here in ontario, ive contacted RONNIE SMITH KENNELS and i am meeting with the smiths at a seminar in august hopefully to get some answers in person on what to do but thats a ways away..and no matter how hard any of you think theres MORE to it then the fact shes barking constantly and creating many issues as a result of this you are DEAD WRONG..THERE IS NO OTHER ISSUE BESIDES THE BARKING, im not yelling just emphasizing it..i am straight up honest and have nothing to hide as its my issue and my dog and im the one being effected by it so theres no reason for me to hide anything..jersey is a great pup with an issue at the moment that is major to me but may not be to you or someone else but i assure you i didnt just sit here today and think hmmm i think today i will get rid of jersey, this is really hard for me and my family and i do appreciate the HELPFUL advice ive gotten.. to all of you that are trying to help and have been supportive i thank you as i already feel horrible so nothing the others can say can make me feel any worse....ruth

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:59 pm

hose works great, its how its administered that make the difference....it makes no difference that the dog likes to play in the hose water....wouldn't like it if i was breaking her of barking.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:03 pm

nikegundog wrote:

Ruth, I feel sorry for you and I hope you find a way to get this fixed. Chucker, I just about fell off the couch.
+1

Nike- He's good at that isn't he? If he brings nothing else to the table, I admire his "wordplay" and "no nonsense approach to rhetoric" :mrgreen:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:04 pm

Fair Fields wrote:Out of respect for Brian, it would have been wise to wait until he returned from vacation and had this duscussion with him before putting it on the forum. Now you have folks offering to take the dog from you and others questioning your true motives. Dogs bark that really isn't a big deal. However, rehoming a dog is a big deal and Brian should be consulted first IMO.
have you read my posts???..i have nothing but respect for brian, i have not 1 negative thing to say about him..ive been in contact with brian pretty much daily since i brought this pup home so hes not left out of the loop by no means but i am a forum member who is sharing my situation and frustration also, just like everyone else does..i said from the very beginning he is on vacation and that he already knows of the situation and that i would ONLY put the pup on the forum if he couldnt take her and if it came to that..i never once implied otherwise..it is my wish to keep my dog and to fix this situation if its AT ALL possible i want to do it..brian knows me and he knows my love for jersey so i know he will help as much as he can when he returns home..the comment "barking isnt a big deal" is not accurate, it is a big deal for me maybe not you but for me it is or i wouldnt be doing all ive done so far to correct it....ruth

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:05 pm

I hope you can work this out. A dog isnt the same as a person, it dont reason or think like a human does. so you will need to take control of the dog, it isnt a whupping thing, be more forcefull, dont be afraid to take a rolled up newspaper to dogs behind. Mine (6 months now) was eating my shoes, so I took one and whupped her on the nose with it, not a hard harsh whap but a noisey spank against my hand right upside her head, she sulked for awhile but after we went outside and came back she forgot the whup and hasnt even looked at a shoe. She needed to know what she could and could not do, like a child. They are born knowing nothing sao you teach them what you want taught.

She is now going out without a leash only my voice commands. Come, go to the barn, let the big dogs out gets her to run to a different piece of my place. We did this on leash from day one. Repitition ingrained it into her brain.

My wife was getting her barking, she thought it was funny :( till I reminded her she works nights.... so I had to bark break her which was easy as she hadnt been barking much. A spray bottle of water gets em, just as she barks spray her face. Say NO BARK loudly and angy like. Tone of voice is what gets thru not the actual words. Let her know she is being bad, but dont go on and on forever. A good bark collar is also a must, not the crappy elcheapos.

I had the same issue, I moved to the country. You should see my new steers :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:17 pm

Since this is a barking post. Is barking a major problem with GSP's? I hear that they are vocal and mine will bark but at nothing more than to get my attention. Never barks at vehicles or other people just pee's with excitement. This is all pretty new to me, this whole gun dog ownership thing, do GSP tend to get more vocal as they approach 1 year or is this just luck of the draw and most GSP's are very tolerable of their inherit barking?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:21 pm

MN_GROUSE_GUY wrote:Since this is a barking post. Is barking a major problem with GSP's? I hear that they are vocal and mine will bark but at nothing more than to get my attention. Never barks at vehicles or other people just pee's with excitement. This is all pretty new to me, this whole gun dog ownership thing, do GSP tend to get more vocal as they approach 1 year or is this just luck of the draw and most GSP's are very tolerable of their inherit barking?
They tend to be vocal. Having said that, my worst loudmouth is a female pointer, but I think she does it to get the stubtails going. :)
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:24 pm

GUNDOGS wrote: its not always easy to fix..
That is for sure. Nothing with dogs is easy, and especially not immediate.
GUNDOGS wrote:ive gotten alot of HELPFUL suggestions and i am going to try a few today..including the FIGURE 8 the smiths recommend in their video..
There is nothing you are going to do TODAY or TOMORROW to fix this problem. But if you are more committed and consistent than the dog you will prevail.
GUNDOGS wrote:ive been trying everything possible and i am open to ANY help but speculating and critisizing me doesnt change a thing..
Sorry not buying it. This isn't an impossible situation, even for novice trainers, as long as they have the wherewithal to be a trainer.
GUNDOGS wrote:ive been working at a solution for 3 weeks ive used 2 bark collars had a behaviorist try to give me a hand on some tips, ive called several trainers including some on here, ive spoke to many people for help regarding this issue
Three weeks isn't enough time to have actually tried all those different things you are listing to find out if they did or didn't work. There are no miracle cures - you need consistency and time which you have not given to any of the thing you claim to have tried - I know this because there is not enough time for you to have done so. You are jumping willy nilly around and the dog is doing as she pleases.
GUNDOGS wrote:although im just posting this today it didnt just start last night..
Agreed. And the longer it continues the harder it will be for you to stop. In fact, from what I am reading it may very well be impossible for you to stop because you do not have what it takes to stop it.
GUNDOGS wrote:also the hose spraying is the last thing this pup would react to, she loooves the hose and stands by it in order for me to spray her..she has played in the hose with my other dogs all along and getting sprayed and chasing the water is a reward for her..\
This attitude will get you no where with training your dog. It won't take much for the dog to react to the water - but I have given you an easier way already.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:32 pm

Did you try TT? Best there is. Ron, were you whining at lunch? :roll: Don't remember..I was there alot of years...
brenda

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:43 pm

snips wrote:Ron, were you whining at lunch? Don't remember..I was there alot of years...
No, I have never whined about anything in my adult life. I was just quiet and I forgot to mention it was last year.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:47 pm

Hey just grab a piece of hose and use it. Don't threaten but shake the dog up a little bit. Us Americans know Canadians are not confrontational but she is a dog... not a war lol.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:50 pm

snips wrote:Did you try TT? Best there is. Ron, were you whining at lunch? :roll: Don't remember..I was there alot of years...
i am going to try a DOGTRA YS300 and give it a try as advised from a very helpful member on here, the other 2 collars i tried for a week each and people have said dont compare so im going to pick it up and we will see....ruth

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:50 pm

ultracarry wrote: Us Americans know Canadians are not confrontational but she is a dog... not a war lol
Now you've done it :x :lol: :lol: :lol: .