FEELING LIKE WE FAILED JERSEY AND HER BREEDER..(UPDATE)

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: FEELING LIKE WE FAILED JERSEY AND HER BREEDER..

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:12 pm

Shame you don't attack this problem head on without the collar, your missing learning alot of valuable dog lessons.

But everyone wants the magic pill......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:15 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:just get down in her face and growl at her "assert your dominance".....

All joking aside, ive got a lab that was raised in the house for about 4yrs while I lived on my own. My wife moved in and wasn't a fan of the wild west with the tumble weeds of lab hair rolling around.

Long story short daisy ended up in the kennel out side. when the neighbors dog barked daisy barked, when a kid rode down the ally daisy barked, if a flea in mexico farted daisy barked..... One day one of my neighbors came over, and he's a fairly cool old dude and he says, man u gota do somthing bout that dog. it took me about a week orso but everytime daisy barked when I was home i drug her out busted her "bleep" and through her backin the kennel with not a word. there were nights I got up at 3-4am and busted her. Ol' daisy is still a notoriouse barker when you go to get her out of the kennel but she is quiet otherwise while she is in the kennel. Of course my closest neighbor is now a alf mile or better away but that helped me keep the peace until i moved..... dogs dont generally hold a grudge, Jersey will still be your friend after this is all over. good luck with the TT ive had great luck with TT products over the last 10-15yrs.

Jim
:lol: na when i wanna show dominance i just mark my territory, maybe thats why the neighbors called the cops :o .. a flea in mexico farting :lol: that cracked me up....ok the collar came with long and short connections, i put on the long ones to make sure the connection is made good but it seems in too deep, should i use the short connections?..thanks for the help...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:25 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:should i use the short connections?..thanks for the help...ruth
Start short, you could always go bigger. Hate to have prong marks if the short ones do the trick.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:26 pm

Use the long ones.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Use the short ones. Long ones are for the hairy dogs. I hope this works out for you. Consistency and time.

Tough Love? Heck, that was the kinder, gentler side. :lol:

Seriously, don't just take my word for it, you have a whack load of others on this thread telling you the same thing - train the dog. You really don't need electronic gimmicks to nag your dog forever. Get the squirter and some lemon juice.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:28 pm

PS - make sure the collar is tight enough.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:28 pm

I always use the long.You should only be able to get one finger under the collar.

Don't over react to all this.
Women were made to be nurturers but to train a dog you have to be able be tough when necessary.

Deep is good.
The dog's reads your body language and responds according .
Let the dog do whatever he is going to do - shake, cower etc. but leave the collar on and look away.

You have to be tough to be a dog trainer.

My JRT wears his anti bark collar at motels. There hasn't been a battery in it in years. :)

Remember when your child wanted to sleep in your bed and you could hear her crying as she had to stay in her own bed?....................
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:43 pm

slistoe wrote:Use the short ones. Long ones are for the hairy dogs. I hope this works out for you. Consistency and time.

Tough Love? Heck, that was the kinder, gentler side. :lol:

Seriously, don't just take my word for it, you have a whack load of others on this thread telling you the same thing - train the dog. You really don't need electronic gimmicks to nag your dog forever. Get the squirter and some lemon juice.
when i said "tough love" i meant tough on me :| my guess is you arent a motivational speaker for depressed people :wink: but thanks for the other tips..im have been and i am doing my best here believe me, whether its doubted or not..thanks again everyone, the collar is on and i left the long ones on for now, we shall see.....ruth

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:46 pm

I use short prongs..Do not want to rub her neck. I personally would rather a collar make an automatic correction immedietly on a dog her age than a show of force from me and get a youngster scared...I know they need discipline but the less I put hands on a young dog the better IMO.
brenda

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:48 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:my guess is you arent a motivational speaker for depressed people :wink:
Hey, I always open my speeches with "Suck it up, Princess!"

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:54 pm

snips wrote:I use short prongs..Do not want to rub her neck. I personally would rather a collar make an automatic correction immedietly on a dog her age than a show of force from me and get a youngster scared...I know they need discipline but the less I put hands on a young dog the better IMO.
Ditto the short prongs.
Personally I like to have my hands on a young dog as much as possible a la Wehle's "Make sure they like you". They also quickly learn that it isn't the hands that are bad, nor to bearer of the hands, but that they control what the hands do. Properly applied boundaries and discipline balanced with care and affection do more to build confidence in a young dog than anything else.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:58 pm

snips wrote:I use short prongs..Do not want to rub her neck. I personally would rather a collar make an automatic correction immedietly on a dog her age than a show of force from me and get a youngster scared...I know they need discipline but the less I put hands on a young dog the better IMO.
ya, i just took it off and put the short ones on, it looked too deep :? ..i am not opposed to grabbing her scruff and telling her NO or QUIET..its not like ive never corrected a dog physically BUT i wont and cant whip her with objects or smack her, break her down kinda thing, sorry guys..i agree with you brenda the less she thinks i am involved in the correction the better...imo2..ruth

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:30 pm

Just wondering - where is the hands on. physical stuff in what I recommended? Not that I would be against grabbing the dog by the ear everytime it barked if that is what it took to make sure the dog absolutely knew I meant it and was not just nagging at it. If you have grabbed the dog three or four times to tell it NO, QUIET and you see no change in the dogs reaction then obviously the dog does not believe you.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:37 pm

KFhunter wrote:I havn't used a bark collar so just kind of brain storming

it would seem that a person could train for the bark collar with an Ecollar - start with the Ecollar and zap the dog when it barks
I'd hide in a room or at the neighbors house so the dog doesn't even know your around then light her up when she barks - but not for yelping or crying

It might help speed up the transition and ease the confusion, so she knows its the barking and not the crying - to the dog its two very different things to bark and cry.

might be a stupid idea
I don't think so. I have done this when throwing 5 Gallon buckets of water on the dog & the water hose didn't work. It was highly effective.

Hope the BL G3 works! :D
Last edited by prairiefirepointers on Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:47 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:ya, i just took it off and put the short ones on, it looked too deep :? ..i am not opposed to grabbing her scruff and telling her NO or QUIET..its not like ive never corrected a dog physically BUT i wont and cant whip her with objects or smack her, break her down kinda thing, sorry guys..i agree with you brenda the less she thinks i am involved in the correction the better...imo2..ruth
Apparently she's not opposed to you grabbing her scruff and telling her NO, either. The dog is running the house right now, and she needs her teeth rattled before she decides it's OK to go a step or two further. The barking is only a symptom of her little power grab. One good go 'round with her will accomplish more than months of more nagging. Remember how it went down with that neighbor you tore into? :wink:

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Winchey wrote:Ruth I didn't know you were a wolf. If thats the case you should try some play bowing and barking while you're at it. Wait, do wolves bark and play bow? Of that's right you are training a dog.
Really that's what you got from that?? Maybe you should try to re-read it, but slower this time. No one ever said to act like a wolf. Just a simple comparison. And you really dont think that your dog is quiet because your the dominate one and telling it not to bark. I know you didn't understand the wolf principle as it was too deep for you, but that is just what you are doing. Establishing a pack order of who tells who what to do. As much as you wish it wasn't true sorry but it is. Good luck with your collar recommendations...lol
Last edited by Swagg on Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:01 pm

shags wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:ya, i just took it off and put the short ones on, it looked too deep :? ..i am not opposed to grabbing her scruff and telling her NO or QUIET..its not like ive never corrected a dog physically BUT i wont and cant whip her with objects or smack her, break her down kinda thing, sorry guys..i agree with you brenda the less she thinks i am involved in the correction the better...imo2..ruth
Apparently she's not opposed to you grabbing her scruff and telling her NO, either. The dog is running the house right now, and she needs her teeth rattled before she decides it's OK to go a step or two further. The barking is only a symptom of her little power grab. One good go 'round with her will accomplish more than months of more nagging. Remember how it went down with that neighbor you tore into? :wink:

Amen. No one here likes to get "physical" or see their best friends in pain. But I don't think anyone of us want to see you lose Jersey either. I can almost promise you that if you just try it all of these problems will go away. Next time she is barking just go out there and smack her mouth. Its not a UFC fight or anything, just a simple smack. I get that the bark collar will work, but why on earth would you want her to have to wear that around the rest of her days.
I know I really havent talked to you much but I can say this. I have read everything about Jersey and at times wished she was one of mine. She has def "set the bar" for my training goals with Riley, and given us something to strive for. So for me a Riley get out there :) lol

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:22 pm

shags wrote:
She has reacted and was quiet when i grabbed her and told her NO, she reacted and was quiet when i rolled her on her back and told her QUIET too but only for a while..she forgets when she goes outside that happened and when i come out and she sees me angry she stands there with her head low as if to say "oh ya i forgot"..she does stop but give it a few hours and shes barking again..and yes i remember how it went down with the neighbor i tore into, i have no problem getting hard core with a mouthy chick :x , a pup on the other hand, i just cant.....ruth

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:43 pm

One other thing. I have never used a bark collar so I don't know if it is recommended or not to leave it on a dog when you are away for long periods of time or not, but, if not, make sure you aren't putting the dog in situations it likes to bark in when you are not around to correct it. I cut lawns for a year and I will always remember this lab that I was convinced would eat my truck if he had the balls to cross his e-fence when we cut his neighbour's lawn. When the owner was home he would come out and body slam that dog. The dog would shut up, but the next week he was just as ready to fight our truck. And guess what, when the owner wasn't home all that barking and growling paid off, we would inevitably leave (when we finished the lawn) and the dog got what he wanted. Just worried about behaviours becoming too ingrained or ones that are self rewarding. And don't be afraid to reward the heck out of the dog when he is behaving properly in a situation he normally barks in.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:48 pm

slistoe wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:my guess is you arent a motivational speaker for depressed people :wink:
well....i dont mind being called princess :mrgreen: ....ruth

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:51 pm

Lol I read the concerns for the people not wanting the dog to get corrected for crying when it gets zipped by the collar ... don't you remember this classic saying ill give you something to cry about!!! ok just had to... if I ever have a kid it is my goal not to say that...

sdpowskier

Post by sdpowskier » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:56 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
shags wrote:
She has reacted and was quiet when i grabbed her and told her NO, she reacted and was quiet when i rolled her on her back and told her QUIET too but only for a while..she forgets when she goes outside that happened and when i come out and she sees me angry she stands there with her head low as if to say "oh ya i forgot"..she does stop but give it a few hours and shes barking again..and yes i remember how it went down with the neighbor i tore into, i have no problem getting hard core with a mouthy chick :x , a pup on the other hand, i just cant.....ruth

IMO the collar is for those times when your not with her at that moment for correction. I've had my dog for 10 mo. now and after about a month I got a knock on the door from the sheriff. Grady rarely barks around me so I was baffled when the cops showed up. Apparently multiple times per/day while we were gone he would bark for 20-30 min straight. Talked to the trainer, said get a collar. Haven't had a problem since. I quit putting the collar on him a month or so ago to see if anything would happen, my neighbors haven't heard a peep out of him. But he's what some would consider a "soft" dog so might have been easier to break of that habit. If your not there to correct then the collar is the next best thing.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:08 pm

Swagg wrote:
shags wrote:

Amen. No one here likes to get "physical" or see their best friends in pain. But I don't think anyone of us want to see you lose Jersey either. I can almost promise you that if you just try it all of these problems will go away. Next time she is barking just go out there and smack her mouth. Its not a UFC fight or anything, just a simple smack. I get that the bark collar will work, but why on earth would you want her to have to wear that around the rest of her days.
I know I really havent talked to you much but I can say this. I have read everything about Jersey and at times wished she was one of mine. She has def "set the bar" for my training goals with Riley, and given us something to strive for. So for me a Riley get out there :) lol
I am really trying swagg believe me..i have put SO much time into training jersey considering i have 5 kids and own a business, we train 7 days a week whether its for 20 minutes or an hour its every day so i am committed to her ive just come to a dead end and honestly felt defeated until i started reading posts and pm's and i got a push to keep on trying.. she is really a great pup..she loves my kids and family and shes a great hunting buddy which i know will be ready for waterfowl in september and ive pictured having her by my side in the blind many times..im really glad you have watched her progress, i like to share it with all of you..my hope is if the bark collar bites a few times she will become quiet with a dummy collar on in no time, thats my goal at least..the problem is the other collars were unreliable and didnt have proper delays and over stimulated....thanks so much for the help and encouragement i appreciate it......ruth

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:26 pm

slistoe wrote:
You are bad! Are you that same guy who told me that my info was as old as dirt? :D
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Sharon wrote:
slistoe wrote:
You are bad! Are you that same guy who told me that my info was as old as dirt? :D
My composter makes dirt in a few weeks. :wink:

Fair Fields

Post by Fair Fields » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:53 pm

Boy has this thread taken off :lol:

The TT collar will do the trick. She is smart and will figure it out.

I don't know Dixie to be a barker and I can almost guarantee that Ace isn't. He is one of the most laid back shorthairs I have seen.

Good Luck.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:28 pm

Good Luck Ruth.. don't be afraid to turn up the collar if need be...It will work

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Fair Fields wrote:Boy has this thread taken off :lol:

The TT collar will do the trick. She is smart and will figure it out.

I don't know Dixie to be a barker and I can almost guarantee that Ace isn't. He is one of the most laid back shorthairs I have seen.

Good Luck.
thanks for the luck i appreciate it..barking is not an issue with brians dogs at all, i know it can be expected somewhat from a pup or dog but her constant barking really came out of nowhere about 3 weeks ago and then progressively got worse daily no matter what i did..one thing i do want to make sure everyone understands is that her barking has absolutely NOTHING to do with her breeding/bloodline AT ALL..i would and i am going to take another pup from this breeding, i just hit a dead end and needed some help from more experienced people as sometimes we all do..i dont want this issue to overshadow jerseys accomplishments so far..just as ive always shared my brags about her i wanted to post my set back as well and how i felt like a failure to her and to brian..shes only 6 months old, wait 7 months yesterday :D ...as far as the collar so far, she barked after a while of the collar being on and it bit her good, i was watching out the window when i heard her bark and she jumped up and looked around like WHAT THE HECK..a few minutes later i saw the neighbors had friends over so when i put her out i watched again and she headed to the fence, hair up and barking when she got bit again..she didnt react as much as she did the first time but she shut up went onto my deck and just watched the neighbors QUIETLY :mrgreen: ...she isnt reacting to this collar like she did the others..the others she yiped and kept yiping and kept getting shocked so she was so confused and shaking..this ones a different ballgame and im seeing some light at the end of that tunnel finally..seriously after a few hours of it on shes getting it, thanks everyone for everything!..i will keep updating....ruth

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:50 pm

That's wonderful, Ruth. Glad some good can come of a crappy situation. TT makes a good product.

Bill

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:30 pm

:idea: thumbs up!!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:44 pm

:) :) :)
brenda

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Thats great to hear Ruth, We all LOVE that light at the end of the tunnel. Keep us posted!

Vonrommel

Post by Vonrommel » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Ruth,
I've got Brian's Blitz dog while he's at the beach with his family and you can send Jersey here if you want, don't even tell Brian, I'll put her in the kennel beside Blitz. She can bark all she wants!!!!!!

Jeff

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:29 am

Vonrommel wrote:Ruth,
I've got Brian's Blitz dog while he's at the beach with his family and you can send Jersey here if you want, don't even tell Brian, I'll put her in the kennel beside Blitz. She can bark all she wants!!!!!!

Jeff
thanks for the offer jeff but i want her to not bark all she wants or she will think she can do it here and continue it then i will be in a worse position then i am now cause now she at least is getting corrected and learning its not allowed..i dont think it will take long at all with this collar, she is quieter already..i cant believe the difference with this TT collar compared to the other 2, i wish i would have tried this one to start with :oops: ..to be honest i didnt want to have to use a bark collar at all, i had hoped i could correct it myself by grabbing her and telling her NO and bringing her in the house but sometimes she would be at the back of the yard and i would be in the pool and by the time i got to her it was too long of a time between to correct her, even if it was just a minute, thats too long and she wouldnt know why she was in trouble so i had to do something that was instant correction..i have a top of the line ecollar i bought my hubby for her for fathers day but i cant walk around with it in my hand all day as i have other things to do and if shes outside i dont always hear her so i even have started keeping the back door open and the airconditioning goes out :| i havent even put an ecollar on her cause she just turned 7 months the other day, plus she really hasnt needed one yet.....blitz is a nice dog ive talked with brian about him he is jerseys half brother..thanks again.....ruth

Doodle

Post by Doodle » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:03 am

Bravo for staying the course, seeking help, and giving it another try. Bravo to all that have stepped forward to help you. Now if you can apply the calm, assertive leader role with the tools and techniques suggested you will very likely come through this with Jeresy. Hoping for the very best outcome for you and Jersey. You have put alot of time, work, and care into bringing her this far. You can do the rest. Calm, assertive, consistant. Start slow and low (settings). I do like to overlay a "command". No is any unwanted behavior but we do use a command for times when we want them quiet and still (i.e. duck blinds, vet office). When emotions and frustration takes over walk away for a moment have a cup of tea, piece of chocolate, or whatever helps. The return on your investment in this case will likely be priceless.

Vonrommel

Post by Vonrommel » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:20 am

Ruth, I was just kidding about sending her here, I guess I should have put a big smiley up there at the end of my statement.

I've been in the same place with one of my dogs and a neighbor that didn't like the fact I had em, so I know the flustrations you are going through. Luckily for me, my neighbor moved away. The TT colar will help with your issue, put it on when she needs it and take it off when not and watch the neck for rub marks, you don't want your dog to get sores from wearing the collar all of the time.

Blitz has learned a few things since coming here last Friday, he seems to pick up quickly on new things, so we are making progress.

[/quote]

thanks for the offer jeff but i want her to not bark all she wants or she will think she can do it here and continue it then i will be in a worse position then i am now cause now she at least is getting corrected and learning its not allowed..i dont think it will take long at all with this collar, she is quieter already..i cant believe the difference with this TT collar compared to the other 2, i wish i would have tried this one to start with :oops: ..to be honest i didnt want to have to use a bark collar at all, i had hoped i could correct it myself by grabbing her and telling her NO and bringing her in the house but sometimes she would be at the back of the yard and i would be in the pool and by the time i got to her it was too long of a time between to correct her, even if it was just a minute, thats too long and she wouldnt know why she was in trouble so i had to do something that was instant correction..i have a top of the line ecollar i bought my hubby for her for fathers day but i cant walk around with it in my hand all day as i have other things to do and if shes outside i dont always hear her so i even have started keeping the back door open and the airconditioning goes out :| i havent even put an ecollar on her cause she just turned 7 months the other day, plus she really hasnt needed one yet.....blitz is a nice dog ive talked with brian about him he is jerseys half brother..thanks again.....ruth[/quote]

MTR

Post by MTR » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:32 am

I am glad that it is helping. As a few other's have posted, I have used other collars and stopped looking after using the TT BARK LIMITER. We were training earlier this year when a fellow handler put his other brand collars on his 2 dogs and put them on the chain gang while we went and planted traps and dizzied birds. The younger dog started to get tuned up when the collar started correcting, she couldn't understand how to shut the stimulation off (this was not the first time on a bark collar) she kept on, the corrections escalated, and there was the sound of panic in her voice when we got back to her. What I have always liked about the TT is that it may let them get that first bark out- but none more. I know that some people don't like that because a dog may be able to figure out that he can bark - just a little or just once. I haven't experienced that myself. I also like that the TT bark limiter is in a G3 package - looks and feels the same as the G3 e-collar. The bark odometer is nice to look at if I have left him out during the day and want to see just what he did.

Again - good luck.
- Rob

Two barrels next to each other and two triggers - one behind the other!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:47 am

VONROMMEL, i kinda thought you were joking since you said "dont tell brian" but i didnt see a razz face or nothin so i thought, well maybe he is serious :lol: ..its funny how the faces help understand the intent of the comment :D ..i wish my neighbours would move, im outta here next summer but a years a long time to deal with this so im hoping to have success..she barked at 5am when i let her out with tyson (our boxer) as this has been her ritual lately, go out at 5am and bark for no reason just to warn people she is on duty i think..well funny thing is tyson ran for the hills when she got shocked cause she reacted so sudden..i had to laugh cause she looked at him as though he did it and ran :lol: and he looked at her like stay away from me, youre on your own :lol: ....the good news is we were just out in the yard cause i had poop patrol duty and she heard some people talking, normally she would run around with her hair up barking cause she dont allow strangers to talk around our home :| but instead she just did a really low "woof" to test the waters and when it got her (which must not have been too bad cause she only twitched a bit) she just went about her business :D...thanks again and have fun with blitz....ruth

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:01 am

MTR wrote:I am glad that it is helping. As a few other's have posted, I have used other collars and stopped looking after using the TT BARK LIMITER. We were training earlier this year when a fellow handler put his other brand collars on his 2 dogs and put them on the chain gang while we went and planted traps and dizzied birds. The younger dog started to get tuned up when the collar started correcting, she couldn't understand how to shut the stimulation off (this was not the first time on a bark collar) she kept on, the corrections escalated, and there was the sound of panic in her voice when we got back to her. What I have always liked about the TT is that it may let them get that first bark out- but none more. I know that some people don't like that because a dog may be able to figure out that he can bark - just a little or just once. I haven't experienced that myself. I also like that the TT bark limiter is in a G3 package - looks and feels the same as the G3 e-collar. The bark odometer is nice to look at if I have left him out during the day and want to see just what he did.

Again - good luck.
Seems like a great collar to me so far :wink: hopefully i wont need it long and can overlay with a command so she will just learn to be quiet when i say NO or even not bark at all, except for the little barking most dogs may do, that i can live with..im getting things ready to go out to the blind for some water work, its 75 degrees today with an awesome breeze almost feels like fall right now :D i will be working with jersey on some more retrieves with decoys set up and then work on some duck searches, gotta get my duck out of the freezer, i think its time to go to my guy and get a few more ducks for training this ones had the lick..anyway, were off to have a great day of training, thanks for the help....ruth

jacoboram126

Post by jacoboram126 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:04 am

don't take it so hard happens to the best of us.

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:32 am

Woohoo! That's great!
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks guys, had a good time at the blind with jersey on duck search, came home to pick up tyson and take the two of them to the pond for some retrieves :D ...ruth

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:17 pm

Good luck Ruth. Some of the comments can seem rough. We have all had little vises with our dogs that cause heart ache. When you take on a bird dog you also take on the knowledge and responsiblity of a rowdy animal that loves to work and play. When you move that animal into the city it can and will complicate things.

Do not give up on that dog. Since the first day you got her she has been doing everything she can to make you happy and get some love. I know this due to the nature of the birddog. You need to stand up to your dog. She will always act the way she wants if you let her. Kona tries me everyday and everyday i put the foot down. At first she shyed a little, but now she knows that it is part of her life here. There are rules and they will be followed.

here are my two cents:

I know this has been used for breaking several issues around the house. it is not my style but may work for you. Keep several coke cans with rocks in the them. Tape em up so the rocks don't fly. When she is in the wrong, toss one her way. The noise will get her and with the collar she may just shape up.

You also need to get that dog out and in any situation that has tons of people. She will get used to the people around and talking. I think it is more of a socializing thing. I catch much heck about Kona being at every function we attend that will allow her. My wife is now accusing me of being married to that dog. I seem to like her more too ( she complains alot less and loves to go huntin.) Kona greets every person and dog with her head up high and tail wagging. Get that dog out to a dog park take her to a park. Invite all the neighbors over for an evening of drinks. If she hangs out with them maybe she won't bark at them all the time.

You will never forgive yourself if you let her go and you will never be able to replace her.

Eighty-8

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:43 am

JCBUTTRY8, thanks for the post..i have had dogs a long time and definitely agree they all have an issue or two at some point, nothin i couldnt deal with before..see when i went to the collar and it didnt work, then the second one and it didnt work then the cops came and neighbours i normally talked to started ignoring me and i had times i was leaving my 4 year old unattended to stop jersey from barking it just all came to a head and i broke, gave up, had a very low weak moment i guess you could say..i had tried so many things and nothin helped..i actually tried the noise thing, i put marbles in a water bottle (its what i had) and i threw it her way, not at her but her way when she was far from me and it did get her to stop, for about 5 seconds then back at it..she was so focused on barking she really didnt care what i did she stopped for 5 seconds and started again..then i would bring her in and she would bark if she heard people outside, i dont use the crate to discipline so i just would grab the extra scruff on the back of her neck and lift her up a bit and tell her NO and she would go lay down but if she heard talking again she was up and barking..trust me it was like this for 3 weeks and got worse each day because i wasnt able to stop it, which ive taken responsibility for a million times and am not blind to the fact its my fault hense the title of the post :D not saying you but some others have really loved to throw it in my face, i guess others have to make themselves feel superior by trying to break someone down, i grew up with that crap so those kinda people i just consider the source and laugh..as far as the socializing issues, my dogs are more socialized then any dog out there..i mean that, my dogs go EVERYWHERE with us, we even take them to CABELAS when we go and put them in the kennel facility they have and with 5 kids plus our friends my house is constantly busy with adults, other dogs and kids daily, not to long ago jersey stayed with one of our NAHVDA friends and her 3 dogs and she didnt have any issues with jersey barking at all and she was there for 10 days while we vacationed in florida but at that point she hadnt started this..my daughters friends dog practically lives here cause she brings him here so often, and ive takin in dogs for 15 years as rescues except in summer so jersey has now lived with about 12 dogs since she got here and has never had an issue with them, they attend classes just for socializing and they go to the dog park, dog pond, dog beach and petsmart 3 to 4 times a week and thats not even all of it, they are socialized more then my kids :lol: so one thing im sure of is my dogs dont lack socializing thats not this issue here at all..its something cause i rotate taking tyson and jersey every morning when i go to the coffee shop and stand outside with the regulars, she dont bark at all, its when shes at our home, in our yard that she does this, no where else..this collar is working so far she is quieter but still tests it, not as often and not as long so its definitely helping..thanks again.....ruth

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:36 am

So you gonna keep her? I hope so. I got a dog here is my brothers so I cant just go and whup up on him. He barks when ever anyone opens a door to go outside, or anyone drives up the road slow, or when one of my cows starts mooing, or when a squirrel farts.....

So last night I yelled at him, he ran to the kennel and into his dog house, thought he was safe :) I upended the dog house and told him he best shut the heck up or he gets the electric treatment. Well this morning I open the door, no barking, hmmm. Go to the kennels he is in the dog house looking up at me you know the look, eyes roll up head still on the house ledge. I open the kennel say good dog , he runs out and starts barking :) durn it. I hollered shut up and he did. So maybe he got it and the collar will remain in the case.

Now if Icould get them calves to shut up...... weanlings take a week or so to get over the separation so they bawl a little. I like to hear it but the wife works nites......
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:34 pm

markj wrote:So you gonna keep her? I hope so. I got a dog here is my brothers so I cant just go and whup up on him. He barks when ever anyone opens a door to go outside, or anyone drives up the road slow, or when one of my cows starts mooing, or when a squirrel farts.....

So last night I yelled at him, he ran to the kennel and into his dog house, thought he was safe :) I upended the dog house and told him he best shut the heck up or he gets the electric treatment. Well this morning I open the door, no barking, hmmm. Go to the kennels he is in the dog house looking up at me you know the look, eyes roll up head still on the house ledge. I open the kennel say good dog , he runs out and starts barking :) durn it. I hollered shut up and he did. So maybe he got it and the collar will remain in the case.

Now if Icould get them calves to shut up...... weanlings take a week or so to get over the separation so they bawl a little. I like to hear it but the wife works nites......
im sure gonna try to keep her, im gonna keep on as if i am..when her breeder gets home we will discuss things more depending on where shes at with the barking..so far its great and although she slips up shes quieter, i did have to turn it up though..see you explained exactly what i was talking about, as you said you turned his dog house upside down and the next morning he did it again..thats what jersey was doing, she'd stop for the moment or for the hour and then back at it no matter what i did, like she forgot or just didnt care to be punished cause she liked to bark more than she was afraid of correction..what i like about the collar is i dont have to be there to correct her instantly when she barks in the yard cause the collar does it for me..if im in the house and she barks i may not hear her so she gets away with it and i think that was most of the problem before, then when i got the first collar it got her and she yiped and it kept on shocking her and she kept on freakin out, it was just awful..this collar is much more efficient...aww i love calves, they miss their mama :( .....ruth

k2k

Post by k2k » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:19 pm

Ruth,

I am so glad to hear (no pun intended :D ) the collar is working. Give it time. A couple-three weeks should do it. She's already made tons of progress! You will be fine and next year this won't matter.

Best,

Karen

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:41 pm

k2k wrote:Ruth,

I am so glad to hear (no pun intended :D ) the collar is working. Give it time. A couple-three weeks should do it. She's already made tons of progress! You will be fine and next year this won't matter.

Best,

Karen
thanks Karen, i think youre right i think 3 weeks should take care of it along with some verbal commands.. lets just hope when the collar is off she stays quiet :D so far lots of improvement, now when she looks at the neighbours without barking i redirect her attention to me and praise her up for not barking..ive seen her today look at them, stare for a second and then come running over to me with her little egg beater stub goin crazy as if she knows shes done good :D today was a good day :wink: thanks for the support....ruth

basic instinct

Post by basic instinct » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:37 pm

really glad this is looking better for you, I had to use a collar and it took about 3 weeks for the dog to really come around but he is not a problem barker anymore. MY problem was he would bark when I was gone and I could not correct the problem, But MR electronic!! fixed the problem.

Sallyc3389

Post by Sallyc3389 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:44 am

I know someone that hooked up a garden hose to his kennel so that if his dog's barked, the hose would spray the kennel with water. The dogs always ducked into their dog house and quit barking immediately. I don't know what he used to trigger the hose. Thought about trying the same thing on our dogs at one time. Instead, bought a bark collar. The dog did quit barking with the bark collar but I never liked using it.