Choosing a dog- Sincerely need help

Rinaldo

Choosing a dog- Sincerely need help

Post by Rinaldo » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:57 pm

I first want to say that this forum is a relief. Having spent over a year researching gun dogs I am upset I never came across this one.
I had originally been interested in Beagles, partly due to the fact that I can hunt rabbit year round Here in florida, and secondly, it seemed to be the only Dog related forums I could find.

What hunting/sporting dog would you recommend for someone without a fenced yard?

Thank you,
Rinaldo
Last edited by Rinaldo on Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:23 am

These are hunting dogs, and being of long legged pointing variety they will need plenty of exercise. Being intelligent it would be hard for them living in an apartment with no yard to romp in.

Maybe a quieter breed that naturally stays close to their owner and doesn't have the get up and go off a pointing breed, like a non FT bred labrador or Golden retriever might suit better?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:26 am

Rinaldo,

The Vizsla is an upland pointing dog just like a GSP. They require exercise off leash 3-4 x 30 min to 1 hour per week to remain sane (and retain your sanity).

If you are looking for an inside house dog, do yourself and your local Vizsla rescue group a favor and find a more laid-back breed.

If, OTOH, you are willing and able to commit to the off-leash exercise, a V can make a great family dog.

One big question: where would be be taking your dog to poo?

Best,

Rinaldo

Post by Rinaldo » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:56 am

Great question, I have a large front yard, however I do not have that fenced and the code here states I can't fence my front yard since I have a coral wall built 120 years ago and thus the city has deemed that I cannot construct any fencing.

However I live near 3 parks, where I'd practice and train for retreiving.
I'm beginning to think that the best Dog for my current situation would be the lab.

I plan on buying a house this year with a yard and fence of course. Housing prices here are ridiculous right now, the house i wanted last year for 280k is now 440k. No one can afford a home right now.
The city has declared it an emergency. So it's been a renters market.

Happy Easter everyone.

Vizsla Vince

Post by Vizsla Vince » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:34 am

A vizsla can fit your needs very well, provided you properly socialize him/her as a very young pup. The most important point for you is to establish your daughter as being above pup in the pecking order. Have her interrupt pup while he's eating.

As far as living in a duplex, we first owned a second hand V in base housing on McGuire AFB, which is essentially townhomes.
He's never hunted, as his previous owner was very rough with him & pretty much ruined his drive :shock:
My second V, we picked up @ seven weeks of age, from a very reputable breeder. He is now 4 mos old, and I take him to the forest preserve at least every other day for "happy timing", where he just runs amok & has a good time burning off energy.

If you are able to take your dog out and exercise him frequently, I think a Vizsla will be a great hunting dog for you, as they are also thrown into hte "versatile breed" category, and are indeed more tame htan say a gsp or weim, etc...

Just remember to get a good crate to keep pup contained, and find a good breeder!

gusto

Post by gusto » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:38 pm

I would wait until you get your house. Better off for eveyone. Get whatever type of dog you like. All Vdogs require the same amount of exercise.

Tallgrass

Post by Tallgrass » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:27 pm

Try a Gordon Setter from Dual lines (Field and Show) They are calm dogs, don't need more than a walk in the evenings, great around friends and family. Not agressive to other animals. I have 2 Gordons and live in the suburbs. I have a yard but no fence. My dogs know the boundries and stay in my yard. Last evening I was working in my garage with the door open, and I had both dogs outside with me, another person walked by the house with their dog on a lead, my 2 just watched them walk on by without running out to investigate. I didn't have to say a word to remind them. They might be what you're looking for.

Colleen

Post by Colleen » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:02 pm

Having a pointing dog and no fenced yard is doable, but if, and only if, you are willing and able to provide good, long hard exercise (at least 1 hour) at least 3-4 times per week. I have two GSPs in an 850-square foot townhouse. We have a small fenced yard, big enough for them to wrestle and play and poop, but not nearly big enough to get enough exercise. The first 2 years of my male's life, and the first year of my female's life, we didn't have a fenced yard. It was tough, and it was annoying at times (like the 3am puppy pees on a leash....), but it is doable. But ONLY IF you are willing to dedicate the time to getting the dog sufficient off-leash exercise to be healthy and happy. It's not easy, and it's not for everyone. Only you know if you're willing and able to make that kind of time commitment.

But to echo a previous poster, if you will be in a house in the next year or two, why not just wait a little longer and get the dog you really want to hunt with? Also, don't make the mistake of thinking a yard somehow exercises a pointing dog on its own. The dog will still need to play fetch, romp in the woods, go for hikes, etc, even with a big yard.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:23 pm

Heres something to give you a bit of confidence.

I have GSP and i manage to get him excersise. I have a rather large house about (2450 sq ft) big but not a mantion. Anyway and i also hav about a 50' x 35' fenced back yard. He doesnt spend much time out there only about 2 hours a day, 1 hour and then off and on. Its a yard but nothing to mention. Im 15 and live with 2 parents, 1 that hates dogs and the other that tolerates him. I get him 2 hours of excersise 2-4 times a week by playing fetch, runs, and going to a regional park. He doesnt play much by himself out in the back. I live in the city where there like 110' x 50' lots for houses so trust me i make him get the excersise theres not alot of room to roam here. Right now my parents are both out back, but he rather be up in my room with me watching me type.

Parks are nice but they wont give you what you need, You need somewhere to let the dog run off-leash, Like when I take mine the regional park he runs a mile a head of me until i cant see him anymore then i blow the whistle and he come running back.

Im not an expert on the best breed for a person. but i believe that if you find a dog with the right temperment no matter what breed and you can adjust yourself to accomidate excersise and training it will be just fine,

So even with a GSP, one of the most energetic dogs out there. It can be done. Provided you give a min of 8-10 hours a week on excersise. and 2 walks on the days that you dont, depending on the dog.

I dont know about in you county but in mine you can do pretty much watever you want on your own property unless your terribly disturbing or harming others. So if you have a rather large front yard, you cant put your dog out on a rope, chain, etc... and a stake and let them get some outside time. ALWAYS keep and eye on them though.

The hardest part is missing out on watching you dog do what it does best everyday, when you have property you can watch them point birds all the time. In the city you have to drive for it.

YOU CAN DO IT!! keep faith,

Rinaldo

Post by Rinaldo » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:37 pm

GsPJustin wrote:Heres something to give you a bit of confidence.

I have GSP and i manage to get him excersise. I have a rather large house about (2450 sq ft) big but not a mantion. Anyway and i also hav about a 50' x 35' fenced back yard. He doesnt spend much time out there only about 2 hours a day, 1 hour and then off and on. Its a yard but nothing to mention. Im 15 and live with 2 parents, 1 that hates dogs and the other that tolerates him. I get him 2 hours of excersise 2-4 times a week by playing fetch, runs, and going to a regional park. He doesnt play much by himself out in the back. I live in the city where there like 110' x 50' lots for houses so trust me i make him get the excersise theres not alot of room to roam here. Right now my parents are both out back, but he rather be up in my room with me watching me type.

Parks are nice but they wont give you what you need, You need somewhere to let the dog run off-leash, Like when I take mine the regional park he runs a mile a head of me until i cant see him anymore then i blow the whistle and he come running back.

Im not an expert on the best breed for a person. but i believe that if you find a dog with the right temperment no matter what breed and you can adjust yourself to accomidate excersise and training it will be just fine,

So even with a GSP, one of the most energetic dogs out there. It can be done. Provided you give a min of 8-10 hours a week on excersise. and 2 walks on the days that you dont, depending on the dog.

I dont know about in you county but in mine you can do pretty much watever you want on your own property unless your terribly disturbing or harming others. So if you have a rather large front yard, you cant put your dog out on a rope, chain, etc... and a stake and let them get some outside time. ALWAYS keep and eye on them though.

The hardest part is missing out on watching you dog do what it does best everyday, when you have property you can watch them point birds all the time. In the city you have to drive for it.

YOU CAN DO IT!! keep faith,
Thank you mate.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:12 pm

I got me a GSP and a IS. the trick is keeping them exersized. Such as while wathing the show that the GF wants to watch and you dont you get down on the floor and play with the puppy.

With mine he is a crate for 4 hours i let him out at lunch then back in for 4 hours. But when I get home he has 3 or 4 people that are more than willing to throw a tennis ball or take him to the school park across the street and run with him.

All pointing breeds are high energy the trick is lots of toys treats and attention.

Rinaldo

Post by Rinaldo » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:33 pm

Ryan wrote:I got me a GSP and a IS. the trick is keeping them exersized. Such as while wathing the show that the GF wants to watch and you dont you get down on the floor and play with the puppy.

With mine he is a crate for 4 hours i let him out at lunch then back in for 4 hours. But when I get home he has 3 or 4 people that are more than willing to throw a tennis ball or take him to the school park across the street and run with him.

All pointing breeds are high energy the trick is lots of toys treats and attention.
To be honest my fondest moments of my Lab were tossing the ball and playing fetch. She would have played fetch for 9 hrs if I could keep throwing the ball. She never ran out of energy for the game. That's what I would play every day for hours if I had a pup again.
I'm leaning towards a lab, I know the breed, I'm happy with the labs and I can get a pointing lab for the same price as a Viszla. I read teaching to point is so much harder than the retreiving and flushing that I prob couldn't do it until I had land of my own anyhow.

But thank you gentlemen. I will keep you posted and I'll keep checking back on this thread to see what's changed. I'm always open for suggestions as well.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:05 am

I have a large front yard, however I do not have that fenced and the code here states I can't fence my front yard since I have a coral wall built 120 years ago and thus the city has deemed that I cannot construct any fencing.
Duuuuude, get an invisible fence :) or a Petsafe Radio Fence, this uses a collar to keep the dog inside your yard where it can run and play to its delight. I have 4 acres fenced in (less now that I redid it so theyard is out of limits) they run and play, point wild little birds, basically be dogs.

So you throw the doo over the side? :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:13 am

How about a black and white GSP? :twisted: :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:56 am

Why a black and white GSP? Are they different than a liver or a liver and white? What bearing does the color have on the type of dog that would fit his needs ?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:00 am

I think that was just a poke at the black coat color debate. :wink:

I do know of a few very nice black and b&w gsp pups though. Four weeks old and cute as buttons. (They've got liver and l&w littermates too) :D
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:31 am

Did I miss something?

Or can I go back to sleep now. 8)

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:26 pm

Nothing to see here folks, move it along. Show's over. Move it along...

:D :D :wink:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:41 am

Just having some fun stirring the pot on a previously posted topic here at GDF. No harm meant! :wink:

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2898