Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Breeders

doubleguns

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Breeders

Post by doubleguns » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:20 pm

Looking for recommendations from solid hunting lines. I'm in Florida but that is secondary. Thanks for any tips!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Breeders

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:56 am

wassookg@uninets.net
Address: Wassookeag Retrievers, Inc.
David & Susan Robichaud
378 Simpson Corner Rd.
Dixmont, ME 04932

Telephone: (207)234-4092

I have met these folks like them. They always seem to be working the dogs for test and such. If I remember correctly, the husband is an avid hunter.

RIck.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:51 am

They always seem to be working the dogs for test and such
Rick, funny somebody pointed out that kennel to doubleguns on another board - it's mostly show dogs for both tollers and Labs, and their tollers don't even have a JH title. 'Fraid even that wouldn't constitute evidence of a working or hunting line for me. So I don't know what "tests" they're working on. Know tollers pretty well and they're nice dogs if trained; unfortunately after 15 years with them, it's become a case of really liking the breed but not a lot of people who are in the breed for what they're doing with the breed. But for a price tag of about $2500 for a pup out of untitled parents, doubleguns might have to find out for himself.

MG

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:31 am

That is too bad. Was told they test , but you know how that is. I have seen them in training and working at a sportsmans show. (No JH in AKC what about HTRC? I met up with the husband and he trains for hunting and tests and such. He is a lab guy and said his wife shows but they test and hunt them. But maybe no passes. I did not follow up as I was not in the market for a NSDTR. I was looking for someone to help me with a ff of a soft or difficult dog. (Could not let someone do what I felt I needed to do.) I did like the guy but did not meet the wife.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of dogs loosing there identity to show (only) people.
Do you know of any good working, testing lines? I have seen a couple very nice hunters but do not know where they came from.

Rick

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:35 am

My question is how that breed would do in Florida. They have a very heavy double coat. I just saw them at a show in NJ over Memorial Day and they were hot as heck even under the tent.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:45 am

Have you had a look at REDDOG KENNEL in florida..a few years back i looked into them for a friend but he ended up getting a pointer...heres their link, good luck...ruth

http://reddogretrievers.com/index.asp?ID=8
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:47 am

I was wondering that my self.

I just went back to their website.

The labs only seem to have one SH and a bunch of JH.
Only saw one JH toller.

What is a WC designation?

Any way you look at it. Go meet them, watch them train, watch some dogs work etc. Get references from there hunting clients. You never know.

Rick

Rick

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:01 am

I have seen quite a few Tollers and never saw one I thought would make a decent working dog, but these folks http://www.foxgrovekennels.com/ certainly seem to be trying to make a decent field showing with their dogs - SH and MH titles on some of their stud dogs.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:09 am

slistoe wrote:I have seen quite a few Tollers and never saw one I thought would make a decent working dog, but these folks http://www.foxgrovekennels.com/ certainly seem to be trying to make a decent field showing with their dogs - SH and MH titles on some of their stud dogs.
Ya i forgot about them, she has been on T.V a few times profiling her kennel..thats a great place to get a pup....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:14 am

Scoties were just recently admitted to AKC events. Most test in HRC, which is a UKC venue.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:31 am

There is a breeder close to me in Rusagonis, New Brunswick. My friend bought a pup from them about a year and a half ago. A lot of show blood and a lot of Junior Hunters. paid $800 I think. The dog hasn't really been trained but it has about as much go get as anydog I have seen, doesn't really have much bring back though. Probably not the easiest dog to work with but would make a decent retirever with a decent trainer.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:54 am

slistoe wrote:I have seen quite a few Tollers and never saw one I thought would make a decent working dog, but these folks http://www.foxgrovekennels.com/ certainly seem to be trying to make a decent field showing with their dogs - SH and MH titles on some of their stud dogs.
Scott, "these folks" are it when you invoke working tollers. Beginning and end as a working kennel - though there are a few others in both Canada and the US that have come onboard with tollers as primarily gundogs and not show. I also would take exception to tollers not making for a decent working dog - they are loaded with talent, it just doesn't get brought on. Winchey's comment
Probably not the easiest dog to work with but would make a decent retirever with a decent trainer.
is spot on except for underselling them as "mak(ing) a decent retriever" - fact is, they can be crackerjack flushing dogs and go all day afield, not to mention

the retrieving. They are beautifully put together for working and all you need to think about, analogous to their endurance and joie de vivre afield, is the border collie. But they want or are wanting for training - and most don't get it. I told the parent club, point blank, 10 years ago that 99% of tollers wouldn't pick up a duck. Not that they can't, or won't pick up a duck, but because most aren't brought along as retrievers, they don't pick up a duck. Some higher-ups in the club even pooh-poohed it by contending they were never meant to be worked as retrievers - even though it's in their very name!

MG

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:10 am

crackerd wrote: I also would take exception to tollers not making for a decent working dog -
I only referred to those dogs which I have seen, and I have not seen dogs from kennels such as Foxglove. The ones I saw had far, far too much coat, had little to no interest in retrieving and the two I helped with obedience training on were difficult to train. I always thought it was such as shame as they seem like such a fun and interesting dog.

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:43 am

WC is a Working Certificate similar to a JH. There was also a WCX similar to the SH title. They were issued by the parent breed club and were common in Labs, Flat-Coats and other sporting breeds before the AKC instituted the JH. SH. MH programs.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Maybe this link will help, its includes a bunch with passes in MH/SH.
http://www.calibertollers.com/toller/honorroll.htm