collar I.D.

pinebrookkennel

collar I.D.

Post by pinebrookkennel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:13 am

Last night we had a jack russel show up on our porch at 11:00. My family all go out and we play with this jack and its a real nice dog. The problem is the is no contact info for the owners not even a collar, just an abc flee collar. Now its 12:00 and what to do with this dog? Do I let it run! Do I bring it in the house?
That got me thinking what do I want on my dogs collar? A phone number, his name, my name.

Oh, put a cage on the front porch with food, water and a chew toy and called the pound the next morning. Thought that would be the first place the owners would call to find him.
Thanks
Jered
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: collar I.D.

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:23 am

reward my name and number or Needs meds my name and number
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:26 am

Just my opinion but yes YOUR name,address and at least 2 phone numbers and the word R-E-W-A-R-D. NEVER the dogs name. Have heard of too many peoples dogs getting taken in by other families because they like the dog and once they know its name the dog responds well and listens to them. JMHO but the dogs name is the last thing I'll ever put on my dogs collar.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:52 am

Funny story, I used to put REWARD on my collars. One of my dogs got out and the lady called me. I went to pick up the dog and brought some extra cash to pay the lady for calling. When I said Id give her some money she said that she thought the dogs name was Reward. HA. Anyway, this is what I put on my dogs.

Needs Medication 555-555-5555

Nobody wants a sick dog. I never put the dogs name on the collar. Thats the last thing you should do!

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:45 am

Same here need meds and a number

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:45 am

Don't. Know about my name! I piss off the neighbors a lot with all the gunfire. :lol:
That's my inlaws 8)
Miyamoto Musashi.
Jered

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:47 am

ID collars are a must. I get the riveted name plate, because I've had the S hooks on tags get snagged and open up before. Reward, our name, location, and cell # are what we put on.
Last edited by wems2371 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:49 am

Collar/tag and a chip! :D

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:29 am

I put my name and cell number on the tags and usually reward.

I still have a few collars laying around from when I used to run coon hounds and coyote hounds. This was in the days before everyone had cell phones and even when they did it was way to expensive to use them, they all have "Call Collect" on them. they make me laugh everytime i see them.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:41 am

Jim
That made me laugh, in the old days I would call home collect and hang up ,that's how our parents knew when to come pick us up from ball pratice. :lol:
Miyamoto Musashi.
Jered

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:26 am

Everything mentioned is fine , but the bottom line is that the finder will only call if they want to.

I had a dog , well identified and microchipped. He was stolen never to be seen again.

Had another dog get lost with all ID.
Advertised in the paper for it with a pic.
I got a call from a lady saying her neighbor had the dog.(He wasn't calling.)

I drove over there and there is my dog , glad to see me.

He accused me of abuse as the dog was running on the street.
Made me show his pics of my dog to prove it was mine.

I had offered a $500.00 reward.
He said he didn't want the reward , but he would like to be reimbursed for the vet bill. Vet bill? The dog had a pad abraded.

"How much was the vet bill?" I asked. $500.00 he said.
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:09 pm

My name with (Owner) and a phone number, also chipped. Had one run off after a small dog, found him due to the vet checked the microchip then contacted them and they called me, I went there guy said I was lying it was his dog. Cops show up vet shows chip info guy is allowed to leave or get arrested for recieving stolen property :) it does work.

I was at a trtainers place he got a call, said his address guy shows up soon with a dog he had let out, that dog run away to the next place, neighbor calls gi=ves dog back all from a brass plate on the collar. I started using them right after that.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:27 pm

I put my name in case he is found by someone that knows me. Then I put cell number and home number. That usually leaves little room for address but most people do not return dogs to the address they usually call. I don't put reward , honest people want to return dog and reward is like saying Ransom will be paid. They will contact you anyway.
Jered, ,most newspapers will run found ads free as a community service.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:18 pm

I put name and phone numbers and REWARD. I also just took the last beagles in to be microchipped (the birddogs are already done). After having spent time in Joplin volunteering at the shelter after the tornado - chipping my dogs was the first thing I did when I got home.

IMO, every dog should be crate trained and chipped. It really made things a lot easier on the animals and the rescue people when the dogs or cats were chipped and also when they could be in a crate without going ballistic. Nobody down there probably thought they'd need to have a dog crate trained, but it sure was easier when there were 700 plus dogs in a huge pole barn in little crates. You could tell right off which ones were not crate trained.

Crashola

Post by Crashola » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:29 pm

Funny story -- a friend of my sister had an escape artist for a dog. It escaped and was picked up by animal control and taken to the shelter. They called her and she went to pick it up. They charged her a big chunk of money as a fine to get her dog back. About a week later old Fido made his escape again. She ignored the shelter's calls and sent a friend over after the waiting period to "adopt" her dog for about half what it would have cost to claim the dog herself. Now I don't think I could let my dog sit in a shelter for that long to save a few bucks, but it's a funny story.

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:01 pm

I put on the collar

"Micro chipped"
Name and 2 phone numbers.

ALthought the "Microchipped" thing does me no good as his chip has migrated to his rib cage. What vet or shelter worker is going to look for the chip in the dogs rib cage.?
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:01 pm

Where does everyone get their metal collar tags done at?

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:55 pm

Swagg wrote:Where does everyone get their metal collar tags done at?
Lion Country Supply
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:15 pm

I had my dog jump a wall in Arizona and run down the street approx 3 miles. Some guy working at the coyote stadium for players and coach parking got in his truck and caught my dog.
I looked for her for four hours ( I was changing her gps collar and went to the truck when she took off) . I never leave my dog without some sort of collar on now. The guy said if I didn't pick up my dog one of the players was getting approval from his wife and the goal coach was also in line. As soon as I jumped out of my truck I handed the guy about $400 (all the cash in my wallet ) and said thanks. He was shocked.

All collars (even gps) have name plates riveted on with reward and 3 phone numbers . Thinking about getting a second name plate with someone else's phone number in case the three don't work.