Summer training?

willt

Summer training?

Post by willt » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:12 pm

Where does everybody send their dogs to get on wild birds in the summer?

bossman

Re: Summer training?

Post by bossman » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:06 pm

North Dakota

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:21 am

I would just like to ask a question concerning the wild birds in North Dakota. I have had several people knock me for training on wild birds in Oklahoma where I live through the spring and summer and knock some of the other people on the forum for training on wild birds where they live but I have never seen anyone knock a trainer or anyone else for training in ND or SD during the summer. Why? Are the birds not nesting up there at the same time they are other places in the U.S.? I don't want to start a fight I am just curious as to why it is ok to train up there in the summer but not in other parts of the U.S. during the summer?

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:14 am

Most of them are training well after the birds have nested and the young are able to fly and get away. They're not disturbing the nesting in the spring.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:47 am

Tommy, My dog's are trained the month of July in Missouri in a "controlled" area. They spend Aug and a few weeks of Sept in North Dakota. So I think Ken hit the "nail on the head" so to speak. In addition, trainer is running on "big" ground. Not running over the same ground all the time. I've a'way believed that if you could get your dogs up north (the Dakotas or Canada) in the Summer and spend several weeks with them in south Texas in the Winter, at the end of the year, you've got yourself a pretty good start on a dog, imo

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:01 am

kensfishing wrote:Most of them are training well after the birds have nested and the young are able to fly and get away. They're not disturbing the nesting in the spring.
What months are you talking about? I can't that my dogs out training till Sept.without them collecting every juvenile in the field. I'm 15 miles from SD.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:04 am

we start training on wild birds around early june, the hatch is usually over and the young birds can fly

utprizewire

Post by utprizewire » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:14 am

In North Dakota you can run your dogs starting after July 14th. SoDak, MN, and WI you can't run dogs until August 1st. (per regulations).
UT

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:20 am

nikegundog wrote:
kensfishing wrote:Most of them are training well after the birds have nested and the young are able to fly and get away. They're not disturbing the nesting in the spring.
What months are you talking about? I can't that my dogs out training till Sept.without them collecting every juvenile in the field. I'm 15 miles from SD.
Most states it's after July 15 but it varies from state to state. If you dog is collecting every juvenile bird around, maybe you need to break him. He should be pointing and holding birds.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:45 am

kensfishing wrote:
nikegundog wrote:
Most states it's after July 15 but it varies from state to state. If you dog is collecting every juvenile bird around, maybe you need to break him. He should be pointing and holding birds.
We usually try and not break flushing dogs.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:02 am

Then why bother putting on birds to train? Except maybe to get them to retrieve. If it's not hunting season again why bother? :?:

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:39 am

kensfishing wrote:Then why bother putting on birds to train? Except maybe to get them to retrieve. If it's not hunting season again why bother? :?:
We work on quartering, casting, whistle commands, water work etc. in the summer. Don't necessarily have to put on birds, but the places you want to train have birds on them. Is flushing a couple hundred phez before season going to help a young lab, absolutely, especialy if you want them steady to shot. But, to answer Tommy's question, I don't know why training in ND,or SD would be any different to training in Oklahoma. Myself, personally train in the same 20 acres for most of the summer, not the ideal training situation, but the alternative is killing a bunch of young birds. Yes, I know if you want a big running dog, you can't do that in 20 acres.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:53 am

I train on a 15,000 acre ranch that is what we call "ranchland" out here meaning cactus, yucca, mesquite shrubs, and low lying native grass. This is where I train on quail. If I want to run the dogs on wild pheasant I drive 10 miles over and run them in large tracts of CRP that are usually only separated by the county section line roads which are gridded so every mile there is a section line road and the CRP fields are usually 1 mile square. I usually do this through the spring and early summer. It is way too hot and the rattlesnakes are too bad here by mid July and August and believe it or not I start hunting dove here Sept. 1st with my male pointer. Also our planting season runs later here than in some parts of the U.S. Crops are usually in the ground by mid to late summer rather than early summer and they don't get cut till late October to mid November sometime. I usually run the dogs in the same areas but the areas are several hundred to thousand acres rather than just a 20 acre patch.

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:20 pm

I am taking all my dogs to Eastern Montana end of next week and will work them on wild birds from horse back and foot until end of September.
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.

My Blog: Living with Bird Dogs

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Tom, most of the pros I know don't start running up north until the spear grass awns have turned. Usually late July to early August, but it varies a little year to year. I don't run them until around the same time down here either because I've had to pay for two different surgeries and spent about $1000 each time getting deep tissue abscesses removed from dogs due to migrating grass seed awns in their bodies.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:13 pm

In this areas I stop running the dog in qauil areas around May and don't start again until about August. But it is so hot then that we don't do much in August.

But you can get a lot of training done on wild birds. If you get them steady to W&S on planted birds, it will take a little more on wild birds to keep them there. Just take the blank gun out while running the dog, and make sure that he keeps his mannors in place on the wild birds too.
Steve

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:50 pm

who do you send them too or is there like a group that goes out from here????