Pigeons keep landing in my yard with my dog:(

Keith White

Pigeons keep landing in my yard with my dog:(

Post by Keith White » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:16 pm

I built a coop and built it up off the ground and with a aviary on the front like many on the forum have done before me. My back yard is a 1/2 acre and my dog has full run of the yard. The coop is in the same yard as my dog. I started letting my birds free fly and they were doing good at first. Then I started seeing them land in the yard. My dog likes to go running to them, stop and point, and then he slowly starts to creep up on them, then runs through them like he's trying to catch them. He has not caught one yet. I'm not sure but this can't be good habit for him to learn. I decided to start leaving my birds in the coop until like 2 hours or less before sundown and I haven't seen them landing in the yard. Does anyone else have a problem with this. I would love to let them fly more but not sure what to do or what problems it may have already caused.

gotpointers

Re: Pigeons keep landing in my yard with my dog:(

Post by gotpointers » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:53 am

I don't see a problem with it other than sight pointing. Your dog is learning he can't catch a live bird. They are also developing their gait,style and endurance. Some of my best dogs were allowed to roam the yard all day and did the same thing sight pointing with wild birds. The only reason i keep some of my dogs kenneled is they are big runners and if they get out they will be shot or stolen.
If you still don't want that.
Try only letting the birds out when they are hungry and feed when you want them back in.