MY GSP, one worry, pics inside

recon033

MY GSP, one worry, pics inside

Post by recon033 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:58 pm

So I have a german shorthair, he is an AWESOME AWESOME DOG...He has such a HUGE desire to please, listens great very snuggly and loves other dogs as well. My one worry is, he is 19 weeks now and I have yet to get him on his first bird. I just havent had the time this summer and I feel like I am neglecting him by not getting him on his first bird. When I do get him into the field he points and you can see he has a huge prey drive. Am I going to be in trouble if I dont get him on a bird this summer/fall? By the way his name is Hans. Also in these pictures we were outside in my yard, and he LOCKED up for about five minutes here. I was sitting there talking to him and he would look at me out of the corner of his eye, but he stayed locked up...Then moved to the other side of the shed and pointed again for about a minute. Im a happy owner knowing he has it in him, I really hope I am not neglecting him by not getting him on a bird already.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: MY GSP, one worry, pics inside

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:15 pm

is there any way you can get some birds to put out for him??..you are definitley NOT neglecting him by not having birds available to work him on..if you can contact any groups to help you out it would be worth it especially if you plan to hunt with him..at 5 months old concentrate on socializing him and basic obedience and if you can get birds great but dont feel like you are neglecting him, you are not..good luck hes very nice looking and looks to have natural abilities :D .....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

recon033

Post by recon033 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks you! Thats where my problem has been though. There is no where close to me to buy birds. There is one kennel that trains labs but also does some point training for their labs. They have pigeons HOWEVER I have called them to either try and buy birds from them or have them help me out with putting him on his first bird. They have been very shady in communications and just seem like they want nothing to do with it. I looked into it some more and I guess it is an old couple and a lot of other people have had bad experiences with them so I stayed away. Other than that the closest places are a little over an hour away. I am moving up to Winona Minnesota at the end of August for this school year so I am hoping that I can find someone up there to help me out. By the way, I am in Southeastern Wisconsin, so if anyone knows someone or can help me that would be great!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:03 pm

recon033 wrote:Thanks you! Thats where my problem has been though. There is no where close to me to buy birds. There is one kennel that trains labs but also does some point training for their labs. They have pigeons HOWEVER I have called them to either try and buy birds from them or have them help me out with putting him on his first bird. They have been very shady in communications and just seem like they want nothing to do with it. I looked into it some more and I guess it is an old couple and a lot of other people have had bad experiences with them so I stayed away. Other than that the closest places are a little over an hour away. I am moving up to Winona Minnesota at the end of August for this school year so I am hoping that I can find someone up there to help me out. By the way, I am in Southeastern Wisconsin, so if anyone knows someone or can help me that would be great!
ya sometimes its a hike to get birds, im in the same situation for wild birds but if you call pest control companies alot of them will sell you pigeons a buck a bird (just a thought) also heres a link to NAVHDA that might help you get in touch with some people to help you out, DONALD OLSZEWSKI is in the bottom right corner of this link, send him an email and maybe it will lead you to the right folks :D good luck....ruth

http://www.wrcnavhda.com/links.htm

also when you move to WINONA MINNESOTA get a hold of TOM MELVIN in NAVHDA his number is 1-507-259-1747 and he will give you a hand with everything you need :D
Last edited by GUNDOGS on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:33 pm

Are you sure that is a Shorthair? JK :lol: You are not neglecting him by not getting him on birds yet, but at some point in the next few mos. you are going to need to figure out a way to put him on birds if you want a bird dog. :wink: Have you considered sending him to a pro? Even at that I would wait at least another few months, but that's just me. Bottom line is, there is nothing to worry about yet but you need to figure something out for the near future. JMO.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

recon033

Post by recon033 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:03 pm

Thank you all for the input. I dont know what you mean by breeding, Im new to this site, he is from high rolln kennels. His parents are high rolln's proposition and high rolln's money pits a blaze. (sonny and blaze)

larue

Post by larue » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:37 pm

lots of options for birds for you,jeff rice in burlington raises quail and chucker I think.he live in the bong area.
You could also look up any of the navhda groups and go to one of there training sessions or just give tim a call(the litter owner you bought the pup from) he often has birds.
You could also meet us at pine ilsand this summer as we will be having some training days there,I am sure tim and erica will help,if not I will.

recon033

Post by recon033 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:17 pm

Ya I was going to email Erica again once I get some time. Everywhere is about an hour and a half from us including them, I am located in Washington county, the West Bend area. Thank you all for the input!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Isn't that the way life goes? Either you have a bonehead dog and lots of time or a great dog and no time.
I understand that completely.
You've got a handsome dog with lots of desire.

If i didn't have the time, I would send the dog to a pro - assuming I have the money. :)

Those first 8 months are your dog's peak learning times. Seems a shame to waste them.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:15 am

There are all kinds of places to either train or get birds in the West Bend area. Try Pheasants on the Ledge in Brownsville, Cadence Kennels in Campellsport, Wild Wings, there is Glor Loral Kennels right on Hwy 33 (don't know if this is the reference you made or not), they train Labs but should be able to put you in a field with a few birds for some exposure.
I am a member at Wern Valley and have access to fields and birds but that is an hour drive for you.
Give Eugene Gerhartz a call at Rangeline kennels, he is located on Hwy 175 just south of Lomira and I am sure he will help you out. Great fellow, tell him Dennis sent you.

recon033

Post by recon033 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:06 pm

Alot of those places are about an hour drive. I think Ill go to back to edgerton, Erica just said I could bring him over. Otherwise Lomira is close, is there a website or a number to get a hold of him? And yes glor loral kennels is the one I was talking about.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:53 pm

tcace wrote:very nice looking shorthair? whats his breeding?
Elhew or Miller. HA

Good looking dog. Like others have said, you've got to find some birds. My reason for needing birds soon is, in both of those pictures there are holes that it looks like a critter ran down. He is probably using his nose. You need to get him pointing birds not critters. This could be a problem in the field down the road. I know you guys like these versitile dogs but birds not critters are what we're all after. :D

recon033

Post by recon033 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:52 pm

Ya I am guessing they are raccoons as we have them all over our yard. Along with muskrats. However there was a duck nest under there this spring as well, I cant imagine they would be this far from the pond this time of year but maybe he got a whiff of the nest again?

recon033

Post by recon033 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:54 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:
Elhew or Miller. HA

Good looking dog. Like others have said, you've got to find some birds. My reason for needing birds soon is, in both of those pictures there are holes that it looks like a critter ran down. He is probably using his nose. You need to get him pointing birds not critters. This could be a problem in the field down the road. I know you guys like these versitile dogs but birds not critters are what we're all after. :D
Why would it be elhew or miller? Arent those English pointers?

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:17 pm

Recon you could look into going to some training days that the Southern Minnesota NAVHDA chapter has. I know there are members from the Winona/La Crosse area that come to the training days. You can check there website out at somnnavhda.org for more info and contacts.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:47 pm

recon033 wrote:
ElhewPointer wrote:
Elhew or Miller. HA

Why would it be elhew or miller? Arent those English pointers?
You will get use to the sarcasm on this forum that gsp's are actually english pointers without tails and english pointers are actually gsp's with tails :? :lol: ....ruth

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:53 pm

ElhewPointer wrote:
Elhew or Miller. HA
Look at all the white on its ears and the big blaze on its face and then tell me theres not a pointer in that dogs family tree.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:54 pm

there has to be, but if it's registered, that's gona be one heck of a dog.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:51 pm

You could bring the pup to our training day this Saturday and we have pigeons you can take home with you.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:20 pm

tcace wrote:lol he does look like a pointer
Ya, I suspect there is more than a little pointer blood there. Nice looking dog though and seems to have good natural instincts.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

recon033

Post by recon033 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Lol thank you all for the comments. This is my first dog on my own, I am 24 but have raised some pups before. First one I plan on working with though so I am VERY new to all this. Needless to say I am very happy with the drive and desire to please this dog has, I just need to get him on some birds.

?When you say if he is registered, do you mean with the AKC? Or some other form of registration? if AKC then yes he is.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:57 pm

What a stylish great looking pup. Good luck, do yourself a favor and look up your local navhda chapter.

mik

Post by mik » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:50 pm

As others have said go to NAVHDA's website and get in contact with the Chapter or Chapters in your area....Great bunch of folks interested in the same thing you are.......
On my second bird dog and finding the local NAVHDA chapter and getting involved as much as I can/could has to be one of the best things I've done since purchasing him...

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:26 pm

birddogger wrote:Nice looking dog though and seems to have good natural instincts
That pretty much seals it. Great looking pointer :D .
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:56 pm

Seriously, there is no such thing as a gsp with ear ticking :o .

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:00 pm

Ron R wrote:Seriously, there is no such thing as a gsp with ear ticking :o .
ron, we got it. :oops:

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:10 pm

brad27 wrote:
Ron R wrote:Seriously, there is no such thing as a gsp with ear ticking :o .
ron, we got it. :oops:
Thanks for reminding me why I shouldn't post. Sorry "we".

solon

Post by solon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:04 am

Recon,

These folks can help you out:

http://www.krystalcreekkennels.com/

Not too far from you I think.

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:19 am

Recon033:

Rangeline Kennels
Eugene Gerhartz
cell 920.269.1114
home 414.704.1299
N10368 Hwy 175
Lomira, WI 53048

Ask him to help you out with exposing your dog to birds.

Good Luck