Software for breeders

GSPaddict

Software for breeders

Post by GSPaddict » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:12 pm

Without having much experience with hunting dogs yet, my contribution to this forum has been more then modest. But as a software developper, I tought that maybe I could help.

I was wondering if a software could be usefull to breeders. The software could store all customers with their contact info, pictures of litters, titles, print invoices, etc.

If many are interested and think it could truly be usefull I might get into it. Of course we need great ideas for this to be a must have tool.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:44 pm

Some sort of virtual file system might be handy. In the legal profession there are programs of practice software such as Amicus Attorney that mimic virtual file systems, keeping track of contact and file information, and keeping these integrated. Something like that may be useful for larger operation breeders and/or pro trainers, or anyone that likes to keep overly organized. :D
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:44 pm

One of the features that would be great is a pedigree program along with a kennel management program and a record of sales and purchases.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:47 pm

not to rain on the parade, but all that is already available from Man's Best Friend Software, among others www.mbfs.com

GSPaddict

Post by GSPaddict » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:00 pm

checked out the features and screens, it looks quite complete. Quite old for today's standards but still..

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:04 pm

it could be more flexible. i am talking about their compuped program. but it works ok. seems to produce quite a few error messages though, for me.

GSPaddict

Post by GSPaddict » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:10 pm

Just noticed they made a .NET version. This should be a lot better.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:25 pm

i vaguely remember that. but if i recall correctly, it did not have alot of the functionality that i wanted. i mainly need a really good database of peds, shorthairs in my case, and the ability to do Coefficients of Inbreeding and theoretical breedings. the accounting stuff is not so important. maybe to others.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:15 pm

Yep wagonmaster is right Mans best friend software is an awesome easy to use program been using it for a few years
they offer COI up to 10 gens if you have the data entered
You can get ped packs which give you the option to do all sorts of things to much to list
PDF format and JPEG format pedigrees
Medical WHelping there is alot they offer in the program and the price is very reasonable for what they offer
www.mbfs.com
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:28 pm

you can get a free ped pack from them for most sporting breeds, and also from www.worldpedigrees.com (or a spelling close to that). the drawback i have found with both of them is that they are not very up to date. they are missing the most recent few generations of dogs, which are the most important. so to get things right, you have to enter your own ped. data.