Male or Female

johndavidcrow

Male or Female

Post by johndavidcrow » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:59 am

Quick question, when you are looking for a hunting dog would you recommend a male or female or does it matter? I would appreciate your help

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Male or Female

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:06 pm

they both have their good and not so good qualities...I find it is the individual dog breeding training etc which makes the better dog not the gender
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:09 pm

I think gender is a personal preference. I HATE the fact you cant just let a male out to go to the bathroom, he needs to piss on everything. Some hate females cuz of heat cycles. Each might have their strengths/frustrations, but IMO, neither gender is "better at hunting". Pick a good breeding, if gender is of no difference to you personally, a male or female from that breeding will be fine.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:20 pm

kninebirddog wrote:they both have their good and not so good qualities...I find it is the individual dog breeding training etc which makes the better dog not the gender
x2 You won't get any advice better than that!

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:45 pm

For vizslas - male. Hard to explain, so I will simplify.

The good females I have seen love you are very independant and hunt more for themselves (generally speaking). The males are in love with you and hunt for you, at least in my experience.

My 2 girls fit this mold, as well as about another dozen females I would consider to be good field dogs.

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:43 pm

ElectricShorthairs wrote:
kninebirddog wrote:they both have their good and not so good qualities...I find it is the individual dog breeding training etc which makes the better dog not the gender
x3
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:03 pm

johndavidcrow wrote:when you are looking for a hunting dog would you recommend a male or female or does it matter? I would appreciate your help
To answer your question, I personally prefer males.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:39 pm

I personally prefer males as well, but now I have 3 of them peeing on everything so my next one is going to be female. :D

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:00 pm

Other than the heat cycles I prefer females.

nhachman

Post by nhachman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:59 pm

I chose a female for my first birddog, mostly because I liked the way she was bold and curious. I had pick of the litter so I chose her over 7 other pups. So far, I think I made the right choice. She does have a strong desire to hunt and to please me. The only downside is the heat cycles if you don't spay, it can cut into your hunting/trialing time.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:44 pm

males for outside and females inside LOL.....I had both inside and just crated them when I couldn't keep an eye on them, worked out great. They are both outside dogs now, well one is the other has hit rainbow bridge. I have a new female that is gonna be my boy's pup and she's inside dog.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:55 pm

baileydog2007 wrote: I HATE the fact you cant just let a male out to go to the bathroom, he needs to piss on everything.
That can be trained out. Turbo is almost 11 months, he hasn't hiked his leg. And he's not gonna start.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Hunter85

Post by Hunter85 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:43 am

Like others have said, I would look at the pups in general and make the decision based on the dog's individual personality, attitude, drive, etc.

That being said, I prefer males. I grew up with my dad owning nothing buy females and pretty much all of them were independent and moody. We also found that two or more females together is a recipe for trouble. No matter how sweet the females were, they always seemed to find a reason to go at it a couple of times a year. Nothing major, just a minute of a dominace reminder.

I owned a male mix as a kid and though he has long since been gone to doggie afterlife, he still holds a special place in my heart. He got along great with the females, loved everyone, was happy go lucky 24/7, and he loved me in an indescribably different way than the females loved my dad. Not sure how to explain it, but there was a more intense love/bond he possessed for me than any of the females had for my dad, or anyone else for that matter. My males have always gotten along great with each other too, but I never let them around non-spayed females and introduced a pup to a dog, never a dog to a dog.

Fast forward to today and I now own a female Brit & a male Lab. When looking at strictly personality and not styles, I found my previous experiences to be the same:

The female is independent and moody. She is a sweetheart, but on her terms. Some days I give her a big hug and she grunts and lies down, other days she wags her little nub of a tail and gives me a kiss on the nose. Some days I'll train her and she is great, others she just doesn’t want to mess around with it. I love her to death and wouldn't trade her anything, but due to moodiness and her independent nature, I doubt I would look at another female unless they were very special.

My male on the other hand believes his whole point of existence is to love and make me and my wife happy. If dogs believed there was a deity, my male would believe I was him! He is always up for a hug or a training session. If I'm watching TV, he's watching TV. If I am doing yard work, he's doing yard work. If I am swimming, he's swimming, etc. He is always happy. If he isn't lying at my or my wife’s feet, something's wrong.

Again, look at the dogs individually as there are some independent males and some happy go lucky females out there, but in general terms, the above is what I have personally found and males are just my personal preferences. I know many people that cannot stand a dog that is clingy. There are also a lot of people out there that would turn red as a tomato if they had guests over and their males thought the patio set was in heat.

The best advice I could give you is first look at the pups - both pedigree and individual personality and choose the one that best fits you. If you boil it down that far stil and can't decide between a male or female, just smile and flip a coin because you have found one heck of a litter.

-Mike

Upland Point

Post by Upland Point » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:09 pm

X3

Upland Point

Post by Upland Point » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:12 pm

X4

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:04 pm

I had always had females, until my last 2 pups.

I don't really see anything that would tell me I want males or females, just pick a pup that acts the way you like.
Steve