question for Grouse hunters

Beecher

question for Grouse hunters

Post by Beecher » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:34 pm

How far out do u guys let your dogs work? How do u know when they are on point in a thicket if u cannot see them?

volraider

Re: question for Grouse hunters

Post by volraider » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:49 pm

I let and expect my dogs to hunt the cover. If the cover is 10 yards off the logging road or 100 yards on top of the ridge doesn't matter to me as long as they are in the cover. A dog that stays close is useless if it's not in the cover. We hunt where the bird numbers is slim to none so you must have a dog that will hunt all day without bird contacts. There's not many dogs that will hunt 5 or 6 hours without bird contacts. I use a beeper collar set on point mode to keep track of them. 90% of the time they are in beeper range and they will always keep up with me. I do not call my dogs unless I want to water them or leave.

Brian

Beecher

Post by Beecher » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:05 pm

I thank you, my dog seems to run big, I just wonder what guys did before beeper collars to locate dogs on point in thick stuff when they could not see the dog? I will get a beeper collar someday when budget allows! By the way my dog will hunt day light to dark with or without bird contacts, he never gives up, I just got lucky with my first dog! I often wonder how great he would have been with a more experienced dog man then me?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:13 pm

Beecher wrote:How far out do u guys let your dogs work? How do u know when they are on point in a thicket if u cannot see them?
One lets them do what is necessary on any day or in any cover... or one lets them do what each person is comfortable with.
Some days will be more successful than others.
Can't see expecting it any other way.

Bell and point-only beeper works well.
Astro has pretty much replaced the beeper, for me....not the immediate contact of the bell tho.
I will always use a bell in the grouse woods.

Somehow, folks got along with only a bell at one time.
I expect that we still could.

"Big" is relative...as is good or "all day."
Last edited by Mountaineer on Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:13 pm

If he will will hold his point until you get there, and not crowd the bird, doesn't much matter to me how far out he is. I use a beeper for grouse/woodcock hunting.

............edited spelling
Last edited by Sharon on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:53 pm

i just let my dog hunt, doesn't matter. Sometimes he has been out of sight and out of bell sound for a while and sometimes he is easily within sight.

I am very confident in him holding his birds and if he moves the bird is either moved on or he pointed old scent. I think that it all depends on the dogs training level.

brandon

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:17 am

Get yourself a good bell or a bell. Having a bell helps you pay attention to the dog. You will also learn to read the bell on occassion, in certain instances. When you do not hear it, it is because of one of a few reasons. The dog went on point so the bell stops all of a sudden. Another is a bell that stops and kind of makes intermitant sounds, that dog maybe having a kennel point. Another is a bell that starts and stops, that dog may be tracking a bird or other animal. Another is a bell that is going good and steady, stops for just a moment that tears off clanging away, that dog just bumped or busted a bird. The other is the bell is getting faint and disappears. That dog is out of ear shot and you give em a couple of toots of the whistle to come back around.

One thing to remember, some times we think our dog is really out there but in reality the cover is thick and he is not out as far as we think.

I have a beeper for two of my dogs because they genuinely run big, for grouse woods. But I do find my self surprised as to their location at times because I do not pay that much attention to them, tll I Need to. That is if for some reason I do not attache the bell also

Personally, I like the bell just because it adds to the hunt for me.

If you have a good honest dog and good ears, either works, Cabelas has a very good and durable bell that is a pointing and traveling beeper. It is not a trainer. I have two of those. They work well and easy to use.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

djloder

Post by djloder » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:34 am

I use a Garmin; it beeps on me and not in the birds face. Woodcock seem to care less about the beep of the collar but I think the beep scares the grouse off. A Garmin tells me the distance and when he is on point.
Derek Lodermeier
TR GUN Derrick de L'Etoile du Nord NA-PZ1TAN http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2204

OhioVizsla

Post by OhioVizsla » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Get a beeper, it's the best $120.00 you'll ever spend on your pointer.

GUNSMOKE

Post by GUNSMOKE » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:02 am

As far out as it takes him or her to find a bird.

Grouse Dog Guy

Post by Grouse Dog Guy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:15 pm

I guess I am old school and don't want to give myself and excuse for getting lazy. I run bells on my dogs and haven't let the temptation of a tracker or Garmin win me over yet. I train the pups to handle back to where I can hear the bell most of the time but I have friends that walk around looking at their Garmin screen while they loose their dogs and say they know right where the dog is two miles away.

blue grouse dog

Post by blue grouse dog » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:46 pm

OhioVizsla wrote:Get a beeper, it's the best $120.00 you'll ever spend on your pointer.
good advice...let the dog range how it will naturally and get some electronics to locate the dog on point. this will allow the dog to hunt to its full potential.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:19 pm

Grouse Dog Guy wrote: I can hear the bell most of the time but I have friends that walk around looking at their Garmin screen while they loose their dogs and say they know right where the dog is two miles away.
This is exactly why I do not get the Garmin or a tracker. Why be looking at screen instead of the dog or the scenery?
Maybe a misperseption on my part but so be it. I find this when I use a garmin for my hunting and finding certain deer spots. Spend more time looking at it than I should, also your compass skills and map reading skills don;t get tuned up using the GPS.

Rick

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Around here all the old timers would say, "It will make sombody a nice grouse dog" when they wash it out for not having what it takes to make a top notch quail dog. My point being dogs that are "boot lickers" or dont range out far enough were what grouse hunters looked for before beepers and GPS.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:26 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:...This is exactly why I do not get the Garmin or a tracker. Why be looking at screen instead of the dog or the scenery?...
Whether it be the U.P., the Apps., Kansas, Iowa, wherever....The Astro has yet to detract me from either a sunrise, sunset or anything else that tugs the eye.
95+% of the time it is in my pant's pocket.
I can see that some will be infatuated with a new toy or new technology and that may lead to a stumble in a badger hole or or fallen log but really...that fear is a non-starter.
Not necessary re pointed birds and the appeal of the unit is far broader than one application of it's technology.
But....some have the TV on all the time.

Grouse Dog Guy

Post by Grouse Dog Guy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:34 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:Around here all the old timers would say, "It will make sombody a nice grouse dog" when they wash it out for not having what it takes to make a top notch quail dog. My point being dogs that are "boot lickers" or dont range out far enough were what grouse hunters looked for before beepers and GPS.

Most of the good cover dogs can run and win horse back shooting dog stakes, maybe that's not enough for top notch quail dogs

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:09 am

Mountaineer wrote: ...that fear is a non-starter.
Not for me. I don't like to carry much, I don't like gadgets for the most part, I like ole school mostly but sometimes one does need to use new tech, but if I can help it I don't and won't. So using one is a non starter for me. To each their own. Just saying.

Rick

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Grouse Dog Guy wrote:
Georgia Boy wrote:Around here all the old timers would say, "It will make sombody a nice grouse dog" when they wash it out for not having what it takes to make a top notch quail dog. My point being dogs that are "boot lickers" or dont range out far enough were what grouse hunters looked for before beepers and GPS.

Most of the good cover dogs can run and win horse back shooting dog stakes, maybe that's not enough for top notch quail dogs
Hey Grouse Dog Guy, don't get your panties in a wad :lol: I was not talking about cover dogs I was talking about the average Grouse hunter that hunts in the Appalachian mountains like we have to here.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Grouse Dog Guy

Post by Grouse Dog Guy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:04 pm

Georgia Boy wrote:
Grouse Dog Guy wrote:

Hey Grouse Dog Guy, don't get your panties in a wad :lol: I was not talking about cover dogs I was talking about the average Grouse hunter that hunts in the Appalachian mountains like we have to here.

I never get my panties in a wad over dogs, I live about 20 min from the highest point in Pa and someone told me onetime that it's in the Appalachian mountains. Maybe I didn't hear him right :lol: I do consider myself and average grouse hunter but I keep trying to get better :lol:

ridgerunner

Post by ridgerunner » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:02 pm

I let my dog hunt the cover he is in...if there are birds then he is closer working, but if we go for awhile with no contacts..then he starts ranging more. I have a beeper collar and I use a bell.

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Try out what everyone said on the thread..You'll find something that suits you and the dog..I use a garmin, beeper, and bell all together..I like all and never had any problems..Just becareful where theres lots of wolves..They (wolves) tend to track the bell because they believe theres easy food access at the noise of a bell.
A dog is the extension of its owner.

Paul : http://www.pmtkennels.com

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:36 am

I use a bell and my Garmin Astro. Actually I mostly just use the bell. I have two bells and one I can hear out to about 300 yards and the other is closer to 200 yards. I used to hate the bell and swore that once I got an Astro I would get rid of the bell except when in a trial. However after using the bell for a while I've learned to not necessarily like the sound, but certainly appreciate it . There is a lot of information I can gather about my dog by the sound.

I find that about the only time I use the Astro is help me figure out my dog's range by the volume of the bell. I've still got some learning to do. I'll also use it to tell how far away my dog is when she goes on point. I've have multiple productive points that approach 300 yards. I generally don't need to use it to help me find the dog unless were out running in August when you can't see 20 feet in front with the heavy foilage.

According to my Astro my setter's typical range is 100-200 yards. It used to be 80-150, but as she got older and bolder it extended to what it is now. I much prefer a wider ranging dog for grouse as long as the dog is honest with its birds.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:49 pm

ridgerunner wrote:I let my dog hunt the cover he is in...if there are birds then he is closer working, but if we go for awhile with no contacts..then he starts ranging more. I have a beeper collar and I use a bell.

yep thats the way I roll, cut the dogs loose and follow bell or what for beeper to go off. I have had both freeze on me in late season hunt several times not fun looking for a dog on point in heavy cover.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN