How to get started in becoming gun dog trainer as a career

duckfly4

How to get started in becoming gun dog trainer as a career

Post by duckfly4 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:00 pm

Need a little help in getting started. Do learn under a Pro ,go to school or self taught? Feedback Please!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: How to get started in becoming gun dog trainer as a career

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:09 pm

The best and most successful way is go learn and work with a pro get mentored
be the kennel B---H that goes a long way to the beginning of working with a pro
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Upland Point

Post by Upland Point » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:00 pm

kninebirddog wrote:The best and most successful way is go learn and work with a pro get mentored
be the kennel B---H that goes a long way to the beginning of working with a pro

Exactly! Couldn't have said it any better

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:19 pm

Realize Right now that there are a lot easier ways of making a buck and that training dogs isn't gonna get you rich over night

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Learn as much as you can and from as many different trainers as you can. There are a million ways to Rome, and all those ways are dictated by environment and attitudes of dogs.

Oh, as a trainer you are not your own boss. You are your own manager, but you have to answer to many bosses (clients).
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:17 am

It's a whole lot easier to operate a boarding kennel than a bird dog training operation. You have to be in the right location.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:12 am

Greg Jennings wrote:It's a whole lot easier to operate a boarding kennel than a bird dog training operation...
I've also been told by more than one trainer that boarding is where they make the majority of their money.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:17 am

PntrRookie wrote:
Greg Jennings wrote:It's a whole lot easier to operate a boarding kennel than a bird dog training operation...
I've also been told by more than one trainer that boarding is where they make the majority of their money.
So very true at least back when I was doing both.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

duckfly4

Post by duckfly4 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:00 pm

It's not about the money,It's about the enjoyment and satisfaction!!!! :D

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:45 pm

duckfly4 wrote:It's not about the money,It's about the enjoyment and satisfaction!!!! :D
Enjoyment and satisfaction don't pay the bills or put food on the table.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Oh Joe don't be so harsh on the guy. Who knows he may be a multi Millionaire. J/K I asked this question before and after thinking about it I have decided that I would start by boarding and then work into breeding and training. The good thing with boarding is that by the time you learn enough to start training on your own you will have the kennel set up already taken care of and hopefully paid for. You can make a lot of money boarding and will give you the time to learn about different dogs and how they act.

Jesse

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:27 pm

Wow. A guy asks a question, looking for help, and all he gets is "you cant make money" "Just do boarding, thats where the money is" "There are easier ways of making money". Impressive. Im sure these are the same "trialers" who "welcome" new comers". LOL. He didnt aski f he should expect to make huge bank, or if it was the easiest way to make a buck. Not sure why a person cant either answer his question.

I, myself, cant answer your question, but if youre interested, I can give you 2 emails of guys who do it, and like to help others out. Apparently this board is full of either trainers who cant do it well and are threatened, or only care about themselves, forgetting they likely got help along the way.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:32 pm

baileydog2007 wrote:Wow. A guy asks a question, looking for help, and all he gets is "you cant make money" "Just do boarding, thats where the money is" "There are easier ways of making money". Impressive. Im sure these are the same "trialers" who "welcome" new comers". LOL. He didnt aski f he should expect to make huge bank, or if it was the easiest way to make a buck. Not sure why a person cant either answer his question .

I, myself, cant answer your question, but if youre interested, I can give you 2 emails of guys who do it, and like to help others out. Apparently this board is full of either trainers who cant do it well and are threatened, or only care about themselves, forgetting they likely got help along the way.
guess the first two replies didn't answer the question in a legit manner :roll:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:06 pm

baileydog2007 wrote:Wow. A guy asks a question, looking for help, and all he gets is "you cant make money" "Just do boarding, thats where the money is" "There are easier ways of making money". Impressive. Im sure these are the same "trialers" who "welcome" new comers". LOL. He didnt aski f he should expect to make huge bank, or if it was the easiest way to make a buck. Not sure why a person cant either answer his question .

Check out this response on a different site, don't know if the guy knows what hes talking about, but he put a lot of time and effort into his response. I believe it is the third response.
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... g+training

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:07 pm

kninebirddog wrote:
baileydog2007 wrote:Wow. A guy asks a question, looking for help, and all he gets is "you cant make money" "Just do boarding, thats where the money is" "There are easier ways of making money". Impressive. Im sure these are the same "trialers" who "welcome" new comers". LOL. He didnt aski f he should expect to make huge bank, or if it was the easiest way to make a buck. Not sure why a person cant either answer his question.

guess the first two replies didn't answer the question in a legit manner :roll:

there were obviously a couple who bothered to answer. Yours and a +2. Typical good ol boys club here. FTers and trainers are pretty much just that. Weird the sport is booming.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:13 pm

nikegundog wrote:

Check out this response on a different site, don't know if the guy knows what hes talking about, but he put a lot of time and effort into his response. I believe it is the third response.
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... g+training

Thanks for the link. A very good perspective. Thanks. Im sure the OP will like the info....

tn red

Post by tn red » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:22 pm

Dashin Gun Dogs wrote:Learn as much as you can and from as many different trainers as you can. There are a million ways to Rome, and all those ways are dictated by environment and attitudes of dogs.

Oh, as a trainer you are not your own boss. You are your own manager, but you have to answer to many bosses (clients).
This sounds like Dashin just might train dogs.Great honest answer .

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:29 pm

Dashin Gun Dogs wrote:Learn as much as you can and from as many different trainers as you can. There are a million ways to Rome, and all those ways are dictated by environment and attitudes of dogs.

+1

And there are prerequisites; an understanding wife with a good paying job........
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:39 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:

+1

And there are prerequisites; an understanding wife with a good paying job........

That's what I am looking for! Don't tell my girlfriend! :D

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:41 pm

I proven track record breaking dogs sure doesnt hurt. Placing them in trials/test's sure wouldnt hurt you any :roll:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:09 pm

Yes, a wife with a good paying job and insurance is nice to have. Glad I put her through nurisng school :wink:
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:28 pm

baileydog2007 wrote:Wow. A guy asks a question, looking for help, and all he gets is "you cant make money" "Just do boarding, thats where the money is" "There are easier ways of making money". Impressive. Im sure these are the same "trialers" who "welcome" new comers". LOL. He didnt aski f he should expect to make huge bank, or if it was the easiest way to make a buck. Not sure why a person cant either answer his question.

He asked for Honest Opinions and I gave mine, wasn't trying to stop or discourage him Just letting him know its tough. I came into it wanting to do it because I love dogs and hunting and helping people with there dogs and the enjoyment I get out of it but at the end of the day the bills still gotta get paid and ya gotta put shoes on your baby's feet and food in there mouths and the dog training bill is always the last check to get sent out. I would trade what I do for anything but it can be a struggle. just being a little realistic.
and too your other comments I'll leave them alone since you don't know me and how many people I help all I can for free either over the phone or through e-mails or people that come and train with me.

kylemac

Post by kylemac » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:52 pm

Dashin Gun Dogs wrote: Oh, as a trainer you are not your own boss. You are your own manager, but you have to answer to many bosses (clients).
I get your meaning, but by that benchmark - no one is there own boss. Everyone is essentially selling something to someone, right?!
But when it is up to you to be successful or not without someone telling you how everyday, then you are working for yourself -- when you personally decide when to get up and you decide how many dogs you want to train and you decide daily how hard to work then you are working for yourself.
If you don't do it well -- you likely won't do it long -- but the decisions you make will decide it, one way or the other. And that is, I believe, what it comes down to – learning to do it well, garnering the ability and deciding to do it well yourself, and having the fortitude to actually do it well day in and day out. With that – you will do great things in whatever you set your mind to.
Now whether you earn enough to cover your expenses is another story all together that the OP didn’t ask about – but I found it worth mentioning, nonetheless. I assume it is like anything – the starting wages likely stink, but there are probably ways to supplement – through boarding and the like.
Regards.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:03 am

Going to training seminars and schools (not just gun dog but obedience also) gives you a foundation.
Being a Kennel boy, assistant along with being patient= exposure to proper or improper techniques.
Boarding = money while you learn and get clients. ( you do need to have a kennel facility to house the dogs so why not have one that pays for itself.) (Boarding helps you read dogs body language of all different breeds and mentallities.
Field Trials= exposure and proof of your skills. ( you need to build your reputation.)
Hunting test organizations (NAVHDA, AKC, HRC, UKC if (If you have training skills and can help at training clinics you can gain peoples trust which may lead to refereals.)
Of course you need safe grounds, which may be a lease, your own, or permission from local folks.

I looked into this and still do at times, so I have thought how I would go about it. (In fact have done much of what is written) but my life does not lend its time well to more than what is on my plate now. If you do not need money to pay mortgages and other life expenses right off and this is truly a passion. Go for it.

Good luck.
Rick

Bailey Dog = Wet Blanket.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:44 am

kninebirddog wrote:...best and most successful way is go learn and work with a pro get mentored...
I have seen many successful pros start this way...k9 nailed it

JKP

Post by JKP » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:27 am

Either...

Win the Lotto......or

marry rich..(you may have to compromise on the looks)

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:13 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Going to training seminars and schools (not just gun dog but obedience also) gives you a foundation.
Being a Kennel boy, assistant along with being patient= exposure to proper or improper techniques.
Boarding = money while you learn and get clients. ( you do need to have a kennel facility to house the dogs so why not have one that pays for itself.) (Boarding helps you read dogs body language of all different breeds and mentallities.
Field Trials= exposure and proof of your skills. ( you need to build your reputation.)
Hunting test organizations (NAVHDA, AKC, HRC, UKC if (If you have training skills and can help at training clinics you can gain peoples trust which may lead to refereals.)
Of course you need safe grounds, which may be a lease, your own, or permission from local folks.

I looked into this and still do at times, so I have thought how I would go about it. (In fact have done much of what is written) but my life does not lend its time well to more than what is on my plate now. If you do not need money to pay mortgages and other life expenses right off and this is truly a passion. Go for it.

Good luck.
Rick

Bailey Dog = Wet Blanket.
Wow, that stings........LOL. Considering the scource, not really....actually not at all.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wet_blanket

Wet blanket=someone who takes the fun out of a situation=when a poster asks a question, answer it, or ignore it perhaps. According to the "pros" on here its nearly impossible to do successfully. Which probablt tells more about the individual doing it than the career field itself.

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:11 am

Its awesome that you have a passion and desire to work dogs!! There are fewer of us all the time. As a lot of others have stated before, I would work under someone that is known in the dog world. If they are well known and have made it for a while, then they are doing something right. Not only learning the dog part but learning how to run that kind of biz. Summer camps this time of year are a good way for a "greenhorn" to find work. A lot of pros are always looking for summer help. And you will learn a ton. Good luck!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:23 am

Slowly reading through some of the old time Books ...Clyde Morton apprenticed under Er M Shelley.
As I get to read more I Can't wait to see what more interesting tidbits of Info comes up in the Fields of Glory some I had already read about in Er Shelleys books both training in the 20th century and Hunting Big Game in Africa with Dogs then also the gladstone Joe Jr 2 day run off in the Modern Setter by Hochwalt

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:45 am

I say, good luck-friend..Learn everything you come across and keep what you need..Just remember to be yourself, and NOT what people wish you to be. Remember you root. God speed.
A dog is the extension of its owner.

Paul : http://www.pmtkennels.com

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:05 am

My grand dad, bless his heart, said "If you want to be a ditch digger, get a good ditch digging education and you'll be happy". He also told me, however, some variant of "a failure to plan is a plan for failure".

I'm a planner. That's what I do for a living. That is, put together large projects and manage them.

So, when I think about things, that's what I do. I put together a plan. I try to cover "Why, Who, What, When,Where and How Much". I've run this exercise for a bunch of after-retirement jobs, one of them being running a kennel.

I'm definitely not saying to not follow your dream. I"m just saying to run the drill that I did and see if it's what you really want to do. The devil is sometimes in the details.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:25 am

Many people I see that train full time started out with their personal dogs training and trialing, Rick and I included. When you start winning and get some recognition then it just seems people want you to train their dogs...At some point you are working 2 jobs (one with a few outside dogs) and say, I think I can make a living at this...Is it worth quitting the REAL job with benifits and security to have your own business....?? It was worth it to me..:) I started learning by trial and error, talking to lots of people that knew much more than me and watching a couple of people that knew much more too...
brenda

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:30 am

It also is worth mentioning, some people in the business just are naturals at reading dogs, some have to work very very hard to get there.

Knowing what to do after reading the dog is a product of lots of experience.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Vman

Post by Vman » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:09 pm

DuckFly, Since I was in your shoes once myself I will try and give you some insight.
First off you can do anything you put your mind to do. But let it be known that not everybody can train dogs for a living. Some people are very knowledgeable about dogs. They read everything they can, but it still will not make them a good trainer. I know several people like this. You can read all you want, you can work for a pro, you can help others, but you may never be a good dog trainer. I feel a good trainer needs to have a connection with dogs and animals. As for myself I grew up on a farm and have been around animals my whole life. Dogs like me for some reason, I call it a gift. Not everyone has that gift. If the dogs do not like you, your hands are tied. You can line up five people shoulder to shoulder and let out a tame cat and the cat will walk up too me. I just picked up a stray dog. My neighbor called me to check if it was one of mine. He told me he couldn`t get near it. He is a farmer, lived on this farm his whole life. I told him I would go see if I could get it. The dog seen me and ran away. I followed it around the house right back to where we started. Calmed the dog and talked to him and slowly got close enough to touch and hook a leash on. He is in the office with me right now. I called the Sheriffs Dept. too let them know I have it if someone is missing it. I don`t think too many people could have done that. But I feel it is something that all good trainers have in common.
In order to be a good trainer yo must have a ton of patience and not be a hothead. If you are short on patience you will fail.
You must be able to read dogs and be able to be two steps ahead of them. This should come with experience.
Secondly, let me tell you that training for the public is much different than training your own dog. Some of these dogs are a real pleasure to work with and others are nothing more than turds and the owner wants a polished turd. It is my job to see that the turd gets polished. If I don`t get it polished I don`t get paid. There can be big differences in breeds also. You need to understand how a Spinone hunts, and also how a AA pointer hunts, and everything in-between. You need to be able to FF a GWP and also a ES. You need to be able to recognize a dogs strengths and weaknesses. It helps if you are good with people and they trust you. You need to have a toolchest full of tools and know how and when too use them. If you are hard on a training dog it will show. The dog will appear intimidated. While the dog that was trained using a method that is appropriate for that dog will be happy and stylish and eager to please. You learn that through the years and making mistakes.
If you are good with dogs and have trained other peoples dogs with good success you could probably make a good trainer.
If you can hook up with a pro, do it. If not then you would need to start out with one dog at a time and see how it goes.
I would strongly suggest that you join a NAVHDA Chapter. This will allow you to help train other peoples dogs. You will get some experience in working with breeds that you have never touched before. You will see some good things and you will see some stuff that will make you scratch your head. But after a few years of helping others reach their goal of UT or VC you should have a pretty good idea whether you can do this or not. I was the Director of Training for a local NAVHDA chapter for 5 years. It was very good experience and very rewarding. You will also see people that can do this and also some that can`t do it for the life of them.
If you decide to give it a try, start small and work your way up and don`t quit your day job. If you do a good job the owner will tell one person. If you do a crappy job he will tell everyone he knows.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:50 pm

I would say that was sound advice right there ..