dog in heat

Upland Point

dog in heat

Post by Upland Point » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:24 pm

I have a 1 year old female GSP that still has not gone into season. All of my other female dogs that I have had in the past have all gone into their first heat between 7 and 10 months of age. Curious as to when I should become concerned?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: dog in heat

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:58 pm

This is my understanding:

The average female dog has her first cycle about six months of age. A few dogs start earlier and few dogs later, even as late as 14-months.
If she's 14-months old and still hasn't't been in heat, you should take her to a veterinarian.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:05 pm

I've got a female that came into heat at 18 months old. She just started going out. When vets can tell you exactly when it happens, well they can't. They'll come in when they come in.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:08 pm

I wouldnt worry about it. I have a three year old that still hasnt come into heat. Some lines dont come in every and some do. I would give it till two years and then talk with your vet. You do run the risk of Cancer arising from this, kind of the same as an undescended testicle in males. I guess the best way to explain it is they better use it or they lose it, or unused tools get rusty! :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:17 pm

My females usually don't come in till well over a yr old but one I sold from last litter came in before 10 mos which was a surprise but just now had her second heat at 3 mos shy of 3yrs.In most cases my females only have one heat a yr.My avatar dog Star was about 33 mos old when she had her first full heat & is still very irregular.I've heard the more athletic the females are the more irregular they are don't know how true that is but same is said about athletic women??

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:27 pm

Some come in heat and are so clean with small discharge that it goes undetected.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:35 pm

No matter how little or how clean it don't go un noticed by the males!!! :lol:

Byrdgirl

Post by Byrdgirl » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:02 pm

I got nervous when my female GSP was 10 months old and she hadn't come into heat yet. I called the breeder....he knows his dogs better than anyone. He said his dogs tend to be late bloomers and not to worry. Cleo came into heat for the first time when she was 1 year old. Her one sister didn't come into heat until she was almost 16 months old. They have both been regular ever since.
Follow our adventures at: http://gsphuntingdog.blogspot.com/
Hunting Dog Photography: http://byrddogphotography.com/

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:17 pm

Have one that had her first season at 21 months and only came in once a year. When I talked to her breeder she said that was not uncommon for their line. They had one that was 26 months before her first season.