BRITT OR SPRINGER WHICH ONE (WEVE DECIDED)

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

BRITT OR SPRINGER WHICH ONE (WEVE DECIDED)

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:52 am

my daughter is getting into agility and junior handling and has wanted a pup of her own for a while now, she is going on 13 and really wants to have a best friend of her own to train..we had talked about a britt but she has been going back and forth between a britt and a springer for some time..we planned on waiting until next year when we move but are just closing in on some breeders ect now and taking our time finding the right pup..what i need to know from all of you since ive never owned either breed (my aunt had britts though) is what are the pros and cons of these 2 breeds..keep in mind its for a young girl who is very energetic and we will be training the pup for waterfowl as well..hope to get some good feedback from all you britt and springer owners so we as a family can read the comments and help make a decision on the breed..i would like to have a breeder in my area to be closer to for help/support for my daughter so i dont need breeder recommendations just any helpful info on the breeds themselves would be GREAT!!..also is one more prone to barking or being very protective cause this we DONT want..thanks again for all the help and i will show my daughter the comments to help her decide as well..shes VERY excited to say the least..by the way it will be a female and her name will be RYA or RAVEN my daughter said :D...ruth
Last edited by GUNDOGS on Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

terrym

Re: BRITT OR SPRINGER WHICH ONE IS MORE SUITABLE..

Post by terrym » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:23 am

My Britt doesn't bark anymore than I would expect. Someone comes to the door he barks, someone walks into the yard he barks. Normal and desirable really. Proper socialization should deal with that. Britts are like little hurricanes so I would think be great for agility games and they are very inteligent, mine loves water so I would think "some" duck hunting would be possible but don't go thinking they will break ice in December like a Chessy would.
I don't like people who don't like dogs......

Wild Mtn muddy toes Tucker
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:04 am

I could be totally wrong on this as I've only had experience with 2 Springers. They were much more excitable than a Brittany. They need more grooming than a Brit.
For a young girl I would get a Brit , or a runt Springer who would be easier to handle. :)

http://ca.search.yahoo.com/search?ei=ut ... niel&type=
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:28 pm

If your daughter really wants to excel in agility, get her a breed that truly excels at Agility.

Based on info I found online, the top 5 breeds are suppose to be:

Border Collie
Shetland Sheepdog
Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Jack Russell Terrier
Australian Shepherd

That being said, I have a Brittany bitch who I KNOW would have been a kick-butt agility dog, if she'd have been given the opportunity. She's one of those dogs that really wants to please and has incredible balance. In my experience, Brittanys are pretty quiet, and soft enough for a bark collar to work on, if absolutely necessary.

But! Your best bet is to find your daughter a mentor....someone who will teach her the ropes as a junior (a pro handler tooking for help)....and find her a finished show dog, retired, maybe spayed/neutered, a dog that LIKES the show ring. There are breeders who GIVE away this kind of dog. She'll be WAY MORE successful with this kind of dog and she'll learn tons more than she would with a puppy where they're both struggling to learn the ropes.

Just my 2 cents.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:26 pm

I like the both learning as they go. This is more than just winning but a great way for your daughter to learn about training plus the heartache of losing as well as the joy of winning. So much to be learned if you just let her do it with a little guidance from Mom and Dad.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Dashin Gun Dogs

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:06 pm

Why is there a question? Of course, Brittany.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:37 pm

The Sheltie is a very mild mannered and easily trained dog. One of the most intelligent and fairly easy to find. That would be my vote. A Collie as well.

As much as I like a JRT, that is not a dog for a young person to train, very difficult, very stubborn but lots fun, same for a Staffy.

Brit over a Springer though.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:18 pm

I think if she's going to do handling for conformation, you would want to look at the breeds that would be easiest for her to win with. For example, shepherd rings are notoriously difficult for beginners and many dogs are handled by professionals.

For the agility - if that's her real interest, I second the BC suggestion - or aussie as well (though BC's are less likely to be aggressive and territorial). I think Springers are great dogs, but I've also been around a few good Britts as well.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:40 pm

Keep in mind that a show springer would probably be a lot different than a hunting springer. If you're looking for a dog that can win in the show ring AND agility AND hunting. I'd call Ezzy and ask him where to get a dual brittany. If you didn't care about showing and wanted one for hunting and agility IMO a good field bred springer would be great. I own brittanies but I've been around a few springers and love both breeds. Good Luck.

sully511

Post by sully511 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:51 pm

I would get a Britt for her as well. The bench Springers can have some bad temperament issues in some lines and quite honestly the bench ones I see playing agility don't do all that well. I have been playing agility with my Siberian Husky pretty successfully for many years so I go to alot of trials and see alot of different breeds compete. The field bred Springers are better in temperament and agility stuff, but you can't show them. My main goals for my Britt when I got him were 1. Agility competitor 2. Conformation prospect 3. Possible field prospect. He isn't old enough to compete with in agility, but we have been training since he was a small pup and he's gonna be awesome! He is probably going to be as fast as some of the border collies. He also has gotten his first point in puppy stakes in the field. He hasn't done anything yet in the conformation ring, but he is still young and looks young. He has to mature a little bit to be successful in that venue. The key in any breed you get is to pick a puppy that has drive, if they pup doesn't have drive, it won't be a good agility prospect. Don't get me wrong a low drive pup can play agility and get all the titles, you just can't be competitive and training is a little bit harder. In my case I picked a pup that had good structure and good bird drive and I have turned that drive around and used it for agility more than field work. I wouldn't recommend a Border Collie for her first agility dog. They are sometimes to much for a newbie and the handlers get frustrated and don't want to play the game anymore. Not only do they have drive they are also VERY intense and can be difficult to live with at times. Good luck with whatever breed you guys get :)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:21 pm

Sorry guys, this is a 13 year old just starting out. I stick with the Shetland Sheepdog. Without a doubt.

sully511

Post by sully511 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:30 pm

Yes, they are nice, but Shelties bark..... alot...... as do most herding breeds. And you have to be very careful about where you get one. They have issues with being very shy around people and new situations, which can make them hard to train and compete with. If you have a good outgoing one, you're set to do whatever you want.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:06 pm

sully511 wrote:Yes, they are nice, but Shelties bark..... alot...... as do most herding breeds. And you have to be very careful about where you get one. They have issues with being very shy around people and new situations, which can make them hard to train and compete with. If you have a good outgoing one, you're set to do whatever you want.
My step mother is on her 4th sheltie. This particular dog is from agility stock and is a ball of fire! of the 4 shelties she has had the first one would chase kids (playing not aggresive),other dogs, bugs, leaves, and on a regular basis would just sit in the yard and bark at helicopters and planes flying over head. at 12-13yrs old when the dog was riddled with arthritis she would just lay in the yard and bark at leaves as they blew past. She was out of performance stock. The next two were out of show stock and were not nearly as active and hardly ever barked. The current one has been CC'd to a "quiet" command and is really a joy to be around other than the fact that she just needs to be exercised ALOT. They also require a ton of maintenance by a groomer.

However considering that ya'll are looking for a dog to do water work and duck hunt with, i would be looking at a paniel rather than the Britt. I know that there are some britts that guys duck hunt with but you are more likely to get a springer that will be a consistent water dog. I my self might look at a boykin also if Water work was going to be a goal down the road.

Good luck with your search.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Doodle

Post by Doodle » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:07 am

Britt or Corgi. Both will need socialization or training to minimize barking. Since you have alot of time to look and you have a large pool of people to help via the internet, why not look for a young dog instead of a puppy? Possibly one that has exposure. Pretty sure the dog would still bond with your daughter. Just something to think about.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:33 am

I had a Springer before having Britts. Both are good dogs, but for agility I would get a Britt.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:01 am

Brits are doing a great job in agility the past few years. We have some people who specialize in agility and trialing and the dogs are doing good both ways. \\

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:00 am

well, we certainly havent decided on which breed yet but we are going to look at a few pups and adults from these 2 breeds and there is one we are looking at tomorrow, its a female springer pup and very cute :D WE ARE GOING ONLY TO LOOK is what i told my daughter...heres the pic the breeder sent me of the female :D ...ruth

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: BRITT OR SPRINGER WHICH ONE (picture added)

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:34 am

How did she ride in the car on the way home? What did you decide to name her? She is a cutie at this stage!

Ezzy

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:59 am

Just to look....lol...good one :)

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:35 pm

Thats a nice looking Springer. I think they are better suited for a family. Just my opinion as I have had 3 britts and many springers in my lifetime. The springers were calmer in the house, them britts were balls of fire tearing around the yard like they were on meth, was great in the field but my poor yard suffered. Went back to shorthairs.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:46 pm

markj wrote:Thats a nice looking Springer. I think they are better suited for a family. Just my opinion as I have had 3 britts and many springers in my lifetime. The springers were calmer in the house, them britts were balls of fire tearing around the yard like they were on meth, was great in the field but my poor yard suffered. Went back to shorthairs.
jersey is VERY calm in the house thank goodness :D she literally sleeps in her bed when she is in the house but is always willing to go if i am..all i have to do is get up and she lifts her head to see where im heading and she will go stand by the cupboard where the leashes are if she wants to go for a walk :) plus one thing i find amazing is her built in clock, she knows exactly when its 3pm and time to eat so goes by her dish and sits there, her accuracy for what time it is is incredible....ruth

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:05 pm

It is amazing. Almost every Sat. morning at about 10 , my husband and I take the dogs to a conservation area that is an hour away. The 3 dogs are regularly sitting at the back door at 10, looking ready to go.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

timhambidge

Post by timhambidge » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:16 am

I owned a Springer in high school. good dog. also am now on my third brit. Brits might make a better family dog. Both are smart dogs. i don't know but it may come down to which dog she thinks looks best. Been down that road with my oldest daughter 15 years ago...I think the ultimate breeding of the dog is going to be your key...do your due diligence on the breeder. good luck. remember chances are with a 14 year old girl she will discover boys long before this dog leaves the home...might as well get a dog that makes a good family dog there dad. good luck

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:18 am

Yeah, mine wakes me up[ at 5:30 every day so we can go do our chores and still get to work on time. :) I am really awake but she sleeps beside my bed, then she sniffs my toes to wake me up. She sits while I get coffee going then outside to let the big dogs out of their kennels and feed them cows. She sits and watches them eat then off to do her business as if she forgot why we went out in the first place. So far she has been the best pup I raised, smart, easy to train and learns it first time.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:57 pm

Well heres more of the springer litter...they are sooo cute, i maintained control and didnt fold under the pressure from my daughter to buy one 8) ..next week we go to LOOK at some britts when i get back from west virginia..i will post pics of those too :D any more tips or info or advice is welcomed, thanks...ruth

sully511

Post by sully511 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:39 pm

Here is a little video I put together of my Brittany pup at an agility practice. He was just over 1 year old and was at that point not doing any jumping or weave poles yet. He has just recently started to learn those. This is pretty typical of what a Brit is like when they play agility and can be VERY fun to run :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8YB5PpKYQs

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:00 pm

sully511 wrote:Here is a little video I put together of my Brittany pup at an agility practice. He was just over 1 year old and was at that point not doing any jumping or weave poles yet. He has just recently started to learn those. This is pretty typical of what a Brit is like when they play agility and can be VERY fun to run :D

awesome!! that sure is a nice britt, my daughter wants to do agility so bad and have the bond with her dog like you obviously have with sully :D thanks for sharing we enjoyed it very much :D ...ruth

sully511

Post by sully511 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:15 pm

I can't wait to start trialing him! I'm shooting for March, he's gonna be a spitfire and I have to learn how to handle him properly. My Siberian is a very good dog, but much slower.......so different :D

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:26 pm

OK, so after lots of looking and talking my daughter has her heart set on a roan britt, either liver or orange..we will be looking more seriously this spring but heres an example of what made her decision :D .....ruth

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: BRITT OR SPRINGER WHICH ONE (WEVE DECIDED)

Post by Karen » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:00 pm

If she wants roan, Lisa Pollock is the person to contact (she's a Northeast director with the American Brittany Club). She'll be able to hook you up with a nice roan puppy. If you need her contact info, PM me and I'll get it to you.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:02 pm

sully511 wrote:Here is a little video I put together of my Brittany pup at an agility practice. He was just over 1 year old and was at that point not doing any jumping or weave poles yet. He has just recently started to learn those. This is pretty typical of what a Brit is like when they play agility and can be VERY fun to run :D

Wow. That's dog to be proud of. You can tell he loves it too. :)

sully511

Post by sully511 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:44 pm

I'm so excited for you guys!! I really think your daughter will be very happy with her decision :D

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:59 pm

Congrats on a good breed choice for the jrs ring, Ruth. Though I think breeds who tend to grow a bit more coat can be showy, as a beginner, grooming a brit for the ring will be much less daunting. Some great conformation handlers showed brits in the Jr ring :) good luck to your daughter and the upcoming pup!
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:28 am

THANKS everyone, shes really excited..her and i really like the look of the pup on the far left of the pic above, HOW CUTE :D we have narrowed our breeders down to 2 that have show and hunting lines..she starts junior handling classes in the next few weeks :D thanks everyone for your input it helped alot as always :wink: ....ruth

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:47 am

If you don't want to wait that long, Jessica Carlson of Alar Brittanys has a litter on the ground now. Looks like roan to me.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:14 pm

3Britts wrote:If you don't want to wait that long, Jessica Carlson of Alar Brittanys has a litter on the ground now. Looks like roan to me.
thanks, i for sure wont have a look at them cause im weak when it comes to pups :lol: i cant believe i havent gotten one yet..the only thing that keeps my common sense in check is that its almost back to school time and weve been sooo busy i know i have no time for a new pup right now....we are thinking in april/may though :D ...ruth