dog lifting his leg

Ranger351

dog lifting his leg

Post by Ranger351 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:30 am

I am just curious about this. My GSP will not lift his leg to pee he just squats almost in a crouched pointing position. Is this normal and ok? I have never owned a male dog b4 that didnt lift his leg so to me its strange.

Redfishkilla

Re: dog lifting his leg

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:34 am

You're lucky, keep him peeing like that all his life. There's nothing worse than letting out your awesome hunting dog to see him pee on every bush for the first 30 minutes of the hunt.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:41 am

Redfishkilla wrote:You're lucky, keep him peeing like that all his life. There's nothing worse than letting out your awesome hunting dog to see him pee on every bush for the first 30 minutes of the hunt.
+1 my male is a year and a half and still squats, when he use to go to lift his leg to pee on things i told him "git outta there" so he kept on squatting which is great cause he dont pee on himself or the neighbours dog that lays by the fence all day long :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:00 am

See there in lies the problem, he pees all over himself. mostly hit front paws and legs but on occasion he bends over almost like squatting to poop and shoots at his own chest. Guess I just figured raising his legs was better than having to wipe him down or rinse him off every single time he goes pee.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:51 am

Ranger351 wrote:See there in lies the problem, he pees all over himself. mostly hit front paws and legs but on occasion he bends over almost like squatting to poop and shoots at his own chest. Guess I just figured raising his legs was better than having to wipe him down or rinse him off every single time he goes pee.
Gunther use to do that but now that he is getting older he squatting better and not peeing on himself
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:51 am

lol, hadn't thought of that one. Maybe he'll get better.

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:07 am

I feel your pain brother. I have an 18 month old that lifts his leg and pees allover his front legs! His is a white and brown dog with now permanant yellow spots on his legs. Then, to make matters worse, he licks his legs off when he pees on them!
There was actually a procedure that the vet can put a stitch somewhere around his weiner and it would make his aim more true. But, I think I will pass.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

gdog

Post by gdog » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:02 am

Munster wrote:There was actually a procedure that the vet can put a stitch somewhere around his weiner and it would make his aim more true. But, I think I will pass.
Wonder if the Doc could do that to my 12 yr old son.....his aim is very questionable at times 8)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:29 am

Munster wrote:I feel your pain brother. I have an 18 month old that lifts his leg and pees allover his front legs! His is a white and brown dog with now permanant yellow spots on his legs. Then, to make matters worse, he licks his legs off when he pees on them!
There was actually a procedure that the vet can put a stitch somewhere around his weiner and it would make his aim more true. But, I think I will pass.
Bet the dog would pass too. :lol:

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:56 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Munster wrote:I feel your pain brother. I have an 18 month old that lifts his leg and pees allover his front legs! His is a white and brown dog with now permanant yellow spots on his legs. Then, to make matters worse, he licks his legs off when he pees on them!
Bet the dog would pass too. :lol:

Ezzy
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BillGraves

Post by BillGraves » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:27 pm

Munster wrote: There was actually a procedure that the vet can put a stitch somewhere around his weiner and it would make his aim more true. But, I think I will pass.
That's HILARIOUS!!! I actually laughed out loud there...my dog pees all over his chest and front legs too :roll:

ROX-L

Post by ROX-L » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Has he been neutered? I have had dogs do that. Usually happens when you have them neudered before they desire to mark their territory. If a male wants to mark a tree, he won't squat to do it. Most males that I have had with that problem eventually got better at squating and lifted the leg on occasion. It could be a good thing though. His drive to be dominant could be pretty low making him easier to train.

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:10 pm

gdog wrote:
Munster wrote:There was actually a procedure that the vet can put a stitch somewhere around his weiner and it would make his aim more true. But, I think I will pass.
Wonder if the Doc could do that to my 12 yr old son.....his aim is very questionable at times 8)
:lol: :lol: I caught my son,when he was younger, several time doing no handers at the toilet. I told him Boy, you aint that good, keep both hands on the wheel. I found a solution to that problem . I duck taped his toilet seat up. So then when he had to do a 2 he had to sit on the rim. He picked up on it real quick. Until we moved to a single bath home. Then I just trained all the men in the house to sit and pee! I told them that I didnt care if they stand and piss around all thier friends, but unless they want to start cleaning the messes I have had to clean, they can sit. Wasnt trying to demasculanize them, and I am not for sure they are doing it. But I do know I have a heck of an easier time cleaning the bathroom and that is all I was asking for.

Red

Post by Red » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:43 pm

My pup was lifting it's leg 18 weeks old, and still does 80 % of the time, but, he'll lift his rear left leg and still manage to piss on his right front leg... :lol: :lol:
Earth First, We Can Hunt The Rest Of The Planets Later.

Munster

Post by Munster » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:06 pm

Its funny, I saw a Munsterlander bitch that not only lifts on leg, but balances on her front legs and lifts both rears to pee! That is the stranges thing I have ever seen!

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:05 pm

My 7 month old still squats to pee, I think its great. Having nothing but male dogs my whole life it has me pretty excited.
Munster wrote:Its funny, I saw a Munsterlander bitch that not only lifts on leg, but balances on her front legs and lifts both rears to pee! That is the stranges thing I have ever seen!
My dad had a bitch brittany with the highest leg lift I have ever seen. But your story makes me jealous that I have not seen this, I bet it's quite a sight.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:31 am

No has not been neutered and wont be for awhile. He has shown some signs of dominance but none towards me directly.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:27 am

Ranger351 wrote:No has not been neutered and wont be for awhile. He has shown some signs of dominance but none towards me directly.
just curious as to what signs of dominance he has shown? thanks...ruth

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:46 am

basically he gets a bit aggressive with other dogs if they initiate something with him and he has been caught trying to do his thing with other dogs and once in awhile other peoples legs.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:24 am

Ranger351 wrote:basically he gets a bit aggressive with other dogs if they initiate something with him and he has been caught trying to do his thing with other dogs and once in awhile other peoples legs.
have you taught him the "leave it" command?..i had a male shorthair/lab rescue here years ago (harley) that would mount other dogs and people as a rule so it had obviously always gone without correction..i went to see a trainer that was at my vet and she showed me how effective the "leave it" command could be with this issue..what i did was EVERYTIME he went to sniff another dog when meeting them was told him to LEAVE IT and gave a quick tug on his lead which snapped him out of his "zone" and took his right away to even sniff the other dog which was stopping any dominance before he could even think or act on it..same with people, i would have him on lead and make him stay until the person came over to see him (not letting him go see them) and make him sit or stay while THEY initiated the meeting which was telling him he is not in control of meeting who he wants its up to people to come see him and if he went to get up i made him STAY..it took a bit of time and patience but it honestly was corrected in no time at all.. like you said mounting is usually a dominance issue and dogs mount to see what the recipient will do but if you stop it before it starts as often as possible and let him know its not acceptable AT ALL that is best..this issue became very serious for me when HARLEY tried mounting my daughter and knocked her into the table, now i always teach the dogs to LEAVE IT right away, good luck...ruth :D

harleys the dog in the middle...

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:35 am

Yes he knows leave it, drop it, release(used during fetch to release the toy to me), sit,fetch and stay

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:27 am

Ranger351 wrote:I am just curious about this. My GSP will not lift his leg to pee he just squats almost in a crouched pointing position. Is this normal and ok? I have never owned a male dog b4 that didnt lift his leg so to me its strange.
Young dogs often start out that way then change. Let him hang around some other males; he'll get the picture.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:03 pm

When I was a kid my Uncle had a cow that would lift her leg when he was milking! :lol: He hated that cow!.. My Aunt tried for years to get a picture of it but I don't think he ever let her... :lol: a friend's kid had a cat that would stand in the litter box to drop a deuce... funniest thing I ever saw! :lol: My old lab squatted his whole life...
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

MikeAZ

Post by MikeAZ » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:51 pm

Mine pees all over all my stuff like my grill, chairs, fire pit etc. I had to electric fence him out of the area so he can't do it anymore...I love the underground fence!

That guy is 11 years old, no other males in the pack and will never be any other males in the pack.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:52 pm

Ranger351 wrote:I am just curious about this. My GSP will not lift his leg to pee he just squats almost in a crouched pointing position. Is this normal and ok? I have never owned a male dog b4 that didnt lift his leg so to me its strange.
Put your dog with other males for a week. Can't hurt and modelling is powerful.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett