Getting my new dog a title

quanah labs

Getting my new dog a title

Post by quanah labs » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:00 pm

I have been training my first hunting lab this summer for the sole purpose of getting her ready to be a great hunting dog both in the duck marsh and in the CRP fields chasing pheasants. That is until I realized how much fun training her is and what a great time she is having getting worked with so I was thinking about working on getting her some kind of title. The problem is, is that I am new to hunting dogs so I don't know where to start other than to join a retriever club. I don't know what the differences are between getting a AFC or a JH or any other titles. I really don't care what kind of title it is just something that shows that she is improving. Do you have to be part of a club to be a part of a hunt test? I am on a tight budget so traveling a long way is not an option, and between my business, wife, and 3 kids I don't have a great deal of time to be off playing trial games with my dog, so I guess what I am asking is what would be the best title a beginner should start to work on and how would I go about getting it?
Thanks in advance.

Onk

Re: Getting my new dog a title

Post by Onk » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:25 am

I'm new to the whole trialing testing thing myself and have been doing some checking. If you go to AKC website you can find list of hunt test and trials along with all the rules and regs.. Good luck!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:45 am

Check out HRC: http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/

They are pretty well across the USA and are geared toward retrievers but even us with pointing breeds can run in HRC if we want.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

quanah labs

Post by quanah labs » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry its taken so long to respond but I have been spending every free minute with my dog. Since posting this question I have joined a local HRC club, and it was the best thing I could have ever done. Thanks so much for pointing me in this direciton. I have met some really nice people and even met a pro trainer that has been amazing. She has showed me some things that I would have never thought of on my own, I could not be more happy with my new HRC. This weekend I am going to perticipate in my first HT and I couldn't be more excited to start my run at some titles.

Thanks again

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:22 pm

AFC is an amature field champion in trialing. Designates the status of the handler. If you train for money you csn't enter amature stakes. Used to be you could regain amature status if you quit training outside dogs for pay for two years.

JH is a junior hunter in hunt test's. It's the entry level. This is probably where you would want to start. Join a retriever club.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!