Meat smokers

JessiNGunther

Meat smokers

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:18 am

Looking to buy a smoker and wanted to know what brand was the best and what size. I have been looking on Cabelas web site and I think lows and home depot have them? We love smoked meat but I never bought one or really looked into buying one until now. Any info would be great.

If Gunther don't stop escaping the back yard I may smoke him !!! :roll:
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Meat smokers

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:28 am

Mine is a Master Built electric. I got it on sale at Bass Pro about a year ago for $150 or so.

People argue back and forth on smokers. I like electric with thermostat. Not traditional, but it's pretty idiot proof.

As an aside, I suggest the following BBQ book.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 3276608170#

Some of the recipes are heavy on salt. If it sounds that way, I cut it in half the first time that I use the recipe, then keep notes in the margins.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks I'll look that up! I hate salt and now days every one over uses it Ick !

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:44 am

This is exactly what I have.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-E ... 4/-1430148

Except that it says "Master Built" on the side rather than "Bass Pro".

Look up the injected and wrapped port butt recipe in the Dr. BBQ book. Use a pork shoulder instead of a butt. Use his "Sweeter" rub rather than the normal rub. You can use his sauce, but make it a week ahead of time. It needs time to mellow in the fridge.

Anytime you use it, don't bother putting in wood after the meat gets to 140 degrees. It doesn't do anything positive.

I really shouldn't give up the deep secrets like that easily...

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:47 am

What are you looking for?
Stick burner.
My next stick burner will be a lang or meadow creek 48" patio type. Reverse flow is the way to go.
I saw at HD they have the Oklahoma joe offset which is a fair cooker but I think modifications could make it much better.

I just built a UDS, it is the most consistant cooking thing I have ever used. Only cost $147 to build. including beer and whiskey.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:55 am

Jesse over your way you also have Klose who builds a wicked nice pit.
www.bbqpits.com

Rick

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:19 am

Ruffshooter wrote:What are you looking for?
Stick burner.
My next stick burner will be a lang or meadow creek 48" patio type. Reverse flow is the way to go.
I saw at HD they have the Oklahoma joe offset which is a fair cooker but I think modifications could make it much better.

I just built a UDS, it is the most consistant cooking thing I have ever used. Only cost $147 to build. including beer and whiskey.

Can I just have yours :mrgreen:

After looking on line all darn day could write a book called a blonde shops for a smoker LOL

And i will look at that link you posted :D
This is exactly what I have.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-E ... 4/-1430148

Except that it says "Master Built" on the side rather than "Bass Pro".

Look up the injected and wrapped port butt recipe in the Dr. BBQ book. Use a pork shoulder instead of a butt. Use his "Sweeter" rub rather than the normal rub. You can use his sauce, but make it a week ahead of time. It needs time to mellow in the fridge.

Anytime you use it, don't bother putting in wood after the meat gets to 140 degrees. It doesn't do anything positive.

I really shouldn't give up the deep secrets like that easily...
I think that is what my cousin in NC has and it worked great.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:22 am

A good first smoker is probably an electric and the Old Smokey is very good.

http://www.oldsmokey.com/Products/OSES/ ... moker.html

My brother turned me on to it. It is definitely a quality smoker, unlike many in this price range. You can even get parts easily.

PkerStr8Tail

Post by PkerStr8Tail » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:25 am

I have a Bradley Smoker. Not sure how they compare in process but it is all digital with the built in smoke generator that uses their packaged wood pucks. Very easy for a beginner.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:27 am

mcbosco wrote:A good first smoker is probably an electric and the Old Smokey is very good.

http://www.oldsmokey.com/Products/OSES/ ... moker.html

My brother turned me on to it. It is definitely a quality smoker, unlike many in this price range. You can even get parts easily.
Will it do a rack of beef ribs ?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:34 am

heck yeah, honestly I have a barrell smoker too and 9/10 I use the Old Smokey. I had one from Lowes and unless the outside temp was in the 80's it would not get hot enough to cook anything.

If you need to smoke for a lot of people, then no electric in this price range will do the job.

You have to go to something like this:

http://www.horizonbbqsmokersstore.com/s ... ker/Detail

If you are cooking for your immediate family, it will do a great job and last a long time.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:46 am

We're a Family of 4 sometimes 6 (grandparents ) 2 are growing boys 1 being pre teen could eat a side of beef by himself. I'm looking for something we could have fun on the weekends with teach my boys how to cook. What girl does not LOVE a man who can kick butt on the grill ? Also we are only going to be at this location for two years so something small would be easy to move when that amazing time come .

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:54 am

The one Greg has looks really nice I love the door. Tough decision.

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:24 pm

My questions would be how much effort your willing to put into learning to use your smoker and how much do you want to spend.

The green eggs are awesome but come with a price. I have an offset charbroiler with some mods and like it alot. I have a bigger cooker on a trailer that runs on propane, it will be getting some mods to add a smoke box to it soon. I cook for groups from 10-200. Have a charity golf tournament for 50 coming up in a few weeks and have cooked for FTs as well. I have put in the time that I only use the thermometer on the grill to get the temp started up while I'm doing other things so I can run over and check it quick. The rest of the time I go by touch bc I cook enough I can tell the temp in the grill by touching the lid. That takes time though. The other big thing is get a GOOD digital meat thermometer. This removes a lot of the guess work.

If you want quick and easy to use go with electric or propane, if you want true propane find one that you will burn wood or lump charcoal. Don't use the charcoal that has lighterfluid or spray lighter fluid in the smoker ever. Just get a chimney or propane torch to get it started.

Spend some time on this forum and you can learn a lot about BBQ. Send me a PM if you want and I will help you out.

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:27 pm

Mine will do two pork shoulders at a time. I've also done two turkeys with room to spare. It and the Dr BBQ book will make you look like a pro without going to BBQ College.

It's not fancy, but it is practical.

Digital meat thermometer is an absolute necessity for an idiot-proof result for the weekend BBQer

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:39 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Mine will do two pork shoulders at a time. I've also done two turkeys with room to spare. It and the Dr BBQ book will make you look like a pro without going to BBQ College.

It's not fancy, but it is practical.

Digital meat thermometer is an absolute necessity for an idiot-proof result for the weekend BBQer
Excellent point on the thermometer. With a shoulder it is really important.

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:12 pm

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:16 pm

My barrel smoker (UDS) works down into the 20's no problem. I fill the fire basket with lump coal a few briquets in the mix, in the outer circle, ( Minion Method) and in the center I put the lit coals, it works for 18 hours holding temps pretty darn good. I have a digital therm and the one on the side. I cook any where from 230 to 265, but it will cook fast as well. It will cook at 400 or 500 if you want. I can do three racks of St. Louis style ribs, Four eight bound butts four turkey breast etc.
If I wish to use it as a grill I raise the fire basket.

But in reality for a more versatile cooker the off sets are pretty good you can use them as grill or smoker. Then there is the social aspect of an offset. You do need to play with the dampers, add wood every 45 min or so, drink some, snack some etc.

For a just straight up grill I really like the webber performer.
Yup Iam in that forum too. :lol: Reading in there you will find the most popular is the UDS and there is near 600 pages of talk on it as well as individual builds.

Mine took 8 hours of build and two hours of paint. The burn was 4 hours but I milked that.

Rick

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:27 pm

The UDS would be an AWESOME family project and my boys would learn a lot. They love to build stuff wish I could find a KIT that we just had to put together.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Every thing is at Home Depot minus the barrel. The barrel was $15 You may find one at the dump free. or look on craigs list.
I used an open head barrel, If you can find an unlined one that is best. One that had oil in it is good they usually are not lined. But you can burn it out then grind sand or Pressure washer it out.

You buy the Webber replacement cooking grills. 22 1/2"
You can use the Webber coal grill 18" or 22 1/2".
Eight 2" by 3/8" bolts nuts, lock washers, and regular washers.
Two 3/4"diameter, by 3" long pipe nipples.
2 pipe caps 3/4"
One 1" d. by 3" long pipe nipples.
One 1" Ball valve or gate valve. ( I would use a ball valve.)
Two pizza pans on solid the other perforated.
Two pieces of expanded metal from HD, 12" X 24"
Four 1/2"X3" bolts 8 nuts, and fender washers. for the legs of the fire baskets.
I have a vertical exhaust on the top but you do not need to. You can just drill 8 1/2" holes symmetrically in the top.
I have a vertical pipe but you do not need that if you do not wish which is just for me to not bend over to ajdust the air flow.
The solid pizza pan will be used as the ash pan. the perforated one will be the diff user on the lower rack.
I drilled 3/8" holes in the end of the 3/4" pipe nipples for added control with the pipe caps.
You can go as fancy as you wish, Use engine paint on the barrel for durability. You can even paint the favorite NFL team logo onthere.

The top rack I put at 6.5" down from the top. But I have seen down to 8".
The bottom rack I put at 18" from the bottom. for the diff user.

Rick

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:10 pm

AWESOME! Thanks
I got this for sure! Hope I don't blow myself up :D

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:35 pm

Ugly Drum Smoker is a inexpensive smoker that works! I have built a couple I also peruse the bbq bretheren site.

I built my own smoker, I can do a whole hog or about 100lbs of shoulder at a time. I also see a weber smoky mountain at home depot for 399 free shipping this is for the 22.5 inch model.

Some say charcoal, some say gas, mine uses both :) I use a 8in pipe from a wood burner to lite it up, put some crupled up newspaper inside, add charcoal, tilt the pipe so air gets under it and lite the newspaper, in a few minute lit coals and no lighter fluid taste :)

I do a lot of smoking, do it for folks parties and such. The rub and mop is important for a good flavor. Used to do a hog a week for 500.00 folks got a cooked whole hog and 2/3 of a keg of beer :) for 500.00. Cost is higher now tho. and I dont do it like I used to.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:44 pm

cooks illustrated just rated this their top smoker:

http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/smo ... -cooker-22

when it comes to food, I always trust them.

brandon

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:36 pm

bwjohn wrote:cooks illustrated just rated this their top smoker:

brandon
ooooo that's purty hmmmmm. The reason I'm doing the UDS is my boys 8 and almost 12 can help me and it will be a learning project . They built a smoker that will cook meat that they raised or hunted for. As a mom I don't want my boys growing up not knowing how to live . I have female friends that are married to guys that have to hire someone to do every thing but wipe their butt. I don't want my boys growing up that way.

We have 3 4-H pigs right now and if they don't sell at fair they will be breakfast lunch and dinner.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:56 pm

bwjohn wrote:cooks illustrated just rated this their top smoker:

brandon
That is the best magazine we love it. However, you could not pay me to make a shoulder or brisket on a charcoal smoker like that. Do you know how many times you would have to check the fuel and temperature for those cuts? Weber anything is well made but I would take and electric unit as a first smoker.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:25 pm

the tv show is nice as well, my wife subscribes to the magazine and they have an online membership as well. If you are really into those kinds of things there is also an app for phones and etc. that is really cool.

according to the atk folks, the fuel last quite a while and you do not have to check back to often to smoke with the weber version.

brandon

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:17 pm

I have a Bradley electric smoker that is nice to set and forget with the automatic settings and wood puck feeder. But I also have a charcoal setup that makes for much better flavor but thats just my opinion.

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:38 pm

I just started smoking. I bought a cheap Brinkmann Vertical Smoker. My first smoke was a couple weeks ago and it was a beef arm roast. It turned out well. I will be smoking a whole chicken this weekend. I had to modify my smoker because the charcoal pan that came with the smoker didn't allow enough air to get the coals hot. I bought a grill vegetable wok and will use that this weekend. Here are some pictures I took

My smoker.

My roast.

The am questioning the accuracy of the thermometer on the smoker so I bought a remote thermometer that has a probe for the meat and a probe for the smoker itself.

My brother-in-law has a Big Green Egg that he smokes and grills with. That thing holds a temperature well, but man is it pricey.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Nice smoke ring!

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:25 pm

OH MY GOSH this post will make you hungry for some good BBQ ;)

Ninkasi

Post by Ninkasi » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:02 am

I have a 22" Weber that can feed a small army. It is a little overkill for the two of us, but we like to have friends over to enjoy. I just throw extra meat on for later in the week. My next project is going to be the Mini-Smoker Joe (http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewt ... p?p=475317) That will be big enough with 2 grills for a family of 4 or 6.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:29 am

Tip for the small electric smokers in very cold weather...wrap an old blanket or two around them.

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:40 pm

I sure wish people would not start threads like these. :D I went looking last night and bought a Bradley digital smoker from Bass Pro Shop. I have wanted one for several years and now I have one coming.
Willie Hunter

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:55 pm

Get that book I posted about above and you'll be in business. That injected and wrapped pork butt recipe used on a shoulder is ambrosia.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Get that book I posted about above and you'll be in business. That injected and wrapped pork butt recipe used on a shoulder is ambrosia.
Wow Greg you are so poetic lately!!! Ambrosia?? The BBQ University books are good too.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:55 pm

I may be a red neck, but I am a, by gosh, literate red neck.

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:34 am

I purchased a Traeger Lil Tex several years ago because I wanted a dual purpose grill/smoker. It works great in both functions. Easy to light and holds temperature very well.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:12 am

I got a charcoal smoker from Cabela's that works really well but I'm not sure they make it any more but it makes for real good fish and small game smoking. I use apple wood from my buddies that prune there apple trees. I'm not sure mine would be big enough for any real big chunks of meat. A goose is as big as I've gone.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:23 am

guys that have to hire someone to do every thing but wipe their butt. I don't want my boys growing up that way.
Yeah, seems to be the norm these days. Out here in the country we got folks can do everything. My neighbor for instance is re building his house. Started with a basement and 2 additions, then the roof came off they want cathedral ceiliens, rthen the walls cause they were not built like he wants :) all is left is tyhe frtamed in new additions and a floor. By end of the week it will be framed in and a roof started :)

Other neighbor has a meat processing garage to slaughter large animals, we do it ourselves here. Keep one of them 4h pigs fpr you, make yer own hams and bacon. Teach them boys how to do that too.

The weber smoky mountain is a good one to buy and have work right off, the UDS is the same idea only on a larger scale.

I like the book smoke and spice for recipes, they put big name recipes in there you can use a s a base to improve upon.

Had ribs twice last week at Bills Bar B Que here in Omaha, is on 24th and Ames it is the best in town. The hot is hot tho.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:55 am

I have a Hasty-Bake, I love it. Not a cheap option though.

http://www.hastybake.com/grill_legacy.html
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:20 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Jesse over your way you also have Klose who builds a wicked nice pit.
http://www.bbqpits.com
I just bought a Klose smoker used. I bought from a guy whose wife decided she didn't like smoked meats. He had it for 3 years and only used it a 1/2 dozen times. It was just taking up space in his yard. It is in really good condition. He sold it to me for less than 1/2 of what he paid for it. I haven't had the chance to fire it up yet, but I can hardly wait !

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:53 pm

I printed the parts list and a few different Photos Of UDS . A family friend who's going to phoenix will get all the parts for us and he has offered to help the boys put it together. The boys are so every excited to build this! I'll post pics if y'all would like to see just how the boys made out with the project . I can say i'm very excited my self!!

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:19 pm

Have you given any thought to wood pellet smoker bbq? Many different manufactures and prices. I have a Dansonm Louisiana Grills Country Smoker CS-450. Here are some other manufactures.

Country Smoker - http://www.countrysmokers.com/

Treager - http://www.traegergrills.com/

Green Mountain Grills - http://www.greenmountaingrills.com/index.html

MAK - http://www.makgrills.com/-

Memphis - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... his+pellet

YODER - http://www.atbbq.com/store/show_by_tags ... t%20Grills

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwKFctf0Qfk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDzF3k_0WRU

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:29 pm

mike B i'll look them up thanks for the info.

Crestonegsp

Post by Crestonegsp » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:27 pm

The best home made smoker I have ever seen was an old propane refrigerator with a hot plate in the bottom, a cast iron pan to hold the wood chips and a vent cut in the top. I worked great and had lots of room and produced some great product.
Dan Schoenfelder

CH/FC PVR's Rugerheim Smokin' Liberty
CH/RUCH PVR's Rugerheim Double Shot
PVR N' Rugerheim Vendetta Ride
Rugerheim's Final Frontier

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:48 pm

I forgot to add a couple of great forums for those with pellet smokers. Lot of great info.

http://www.pelletheads.com/

http://www.pelletsmoking.com/forum.php

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:53 am

http://www.masterbuilt.com/

I have had great luck with this brand. I use the electric one now a days.....I love how easy it is to use by not having to hardly check on, no fire to tend, thought I would only like a stick burner I was wrong. Many good ones out there, good luck!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:02 am

Holland also makes a nice hybrid gas grill that is easly adapted to smoke. I saw a demo on them years ago and they are very well built, but won't sear. You need to get the infra-red grill that attaches to the side for that.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:04 am

an old propane refrigerator with a hot plate in the bottom, a cast iron pan to hold the wood chips and a vent cut in the top.
I made a few of these, its getting harder to find the ones made in old days were all steel inside with no top part. Best one I made had a small wood stove 10 feet away chimney went underground to the bottom. Was a cold smoker I did hams in and such.
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:06 am

I spent way too many nights trying to sleep in a lawn chair while servicing the pits with coals. These days, I want easy.

For small amounts of food, any of the small thermostat-controlled electric cookers, an electronic meat thermometer, some hickory or whatever chips and a good recipe will make just about anybody look brilliant with a minimum amount of fuss.

Greg J.