Trying to keep my wife happy

Jakeismydog2

Trying to keep my wife happy

Post by Jakeismydog2 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:59 am

I spend more time over at Ultimatepheasanthunting forum, and have already asked this over there. But I thought this would be a good place to ask also.

Background info:
My wife and I have been having a weight loss competition between the 2 of us. If I win I get a bird dog, if she wins its a baby. We have about a month left, and I am going to win. So I am doing my research on many different breeds. I have always hunted over GSP's some very very good, some just good.

So in order to honor my wife while getting a new pup I want to get one that has a lot less shedding than my current mutt (sharpei-basset hound). I want to hear from people who have dogs living in the house full time how much their dogs shed.

I am 75% pheasant and quail - 25% duck

thanks

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Trying to keep my wife happy

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:06 am

What temps do you duck hunt in? Big/rough water?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:26 am

They all shed..that is a no win there

as for you and the wife...Your gonna loose that one even if you do win...best thing to do Plan where she has the baby in march or april..You will be SOL if you don't ..Birthing and birthdays ....
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:30 am

Well first i have to laugh at the title because when you read it then read the background info it sure dont seem like the wife is going to be happy if you 1) beat her at losing weight and 2) she doesnt get a baby :? BUT as for your question just from my experience i would definitley NOT get a lab if you dont want shedding, i would say also from my experience shorthairs and english pointers arent to bad for shedding but still do shed their coats in the change of seasons as most dogs do, good luck with the search for a new pup :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:31 am

Keeping wife happy??? Reminds me of the old song, "To dream the impossible dream,---------." :lol:
big steve

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:34 am

big steve46 wrote:Keeping wife happy??? Reminds me of the old song, "To dream the impossible dream,---------." :lol:
AHHH, come on steve us wives are happy we just cant let you know that because you guys will stop trying so hard to please us :mrgreen: .....ruth

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:40 am

I have a lab and a GSP and OMG does the lab leave hair balls every where the shedding is BAD . I will say that the lab is VERY kick back and has never harmed my boys in any way . We got the lab when the oldest was right around 2 then a year later we had another baby . Our lab is like a little mom he will not let my kids out of his sight and does not like strange dogs around my kids.
Now I don't think I could of done a baby and a GSP at the same time . The GSP has a ton of energy and always needed like a little kid.
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:01 pm

big steve46 wrote:Keeping wife happy??? Reminds me of the old song, "To dream the impossible dream,---------." :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:07 pm

I think I'd play safe and play for a "draw" ........... then get one of each. Wummin don't like losing ! :roll:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:49 pm

No question about the labs shedding more. The undercoat dribbles out year round. We joked that we should go into the lab wool sweater business with just the one lab.

My GSPs are pretty good in that area. Still, a couple of times per year, they blow coat for a few days. A brushing helps tremendously.

Greg J

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:56 pm

3 dogs in the house - setters and JRT. Lots of hair. It is worse when the seasons change as shedding is affected by the amount of light. ( Spring and Fall). Certain carpets hold the hair worse than others. Little hairs appear on your toothbrush, pb lid, etc....
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:58 pm

I hate to be honest and of you tell her this you might be in trouble.... if you are having a weight loss competition the goal is probably to loose weight and keep it off. If she has a baby she will defeat the purpose of the competition anyway....

The better thing might be to say ok you lost and I win... but if you loose another 40 pounds you can have a baby that I will claim as mine. :mrgreen:

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:04 pm

I would go for the baby. More fun year round :D :wink: :oops: and they can always help with the dog later on.

Now onto your question about what breed. We have two Vizslas, a Wirehaired Vizsla and two english pointer pups. All of them are in the house (I need to get the kennel built, to keep my wife happy) All dogs will shed some when they loose their winter coats. The shorthaired dogs seem to be less noticable. Main thing is to have your wife help you pick out a breed and then she will have some buy-in. Good luck

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:09 pm

She got you, unless she was willing to sign a contract (mine hates it when I talk about contracts with her) that states you are allowed to go get snipped should you win the bet, then she will have a baby whenever she well pleases. If you win she wins, if you lose she wins. Just go buy the dog and tell her you'd like to try and time the baby's birth to not screw up your hunting. I have studied this and 99% of girls were put on this earth for two things: planning their wedding and having babies.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:19 pm

The only way to get a dog that doesn't shed is to make sure the dog is the same color as the rug and furniture.'

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ranger351

Post by Ranger351 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:58 pm

I don't know bout y'all but to me keepin a wife happy all the time is like huntin wild pheasants with a stick and a stone. Sure its possible but darn if it aint hard work. My dad used to tell me that when momma wasn't happy over somethin.

Jakeismydog2

Post by Jakeismydog2 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:25 pm

I lived with a lab in the past... the only thing that Sheds worse is my folks Golden Retreiver - ChowChow mix. Wow!

I dont do much crazy cold big water duck hunting. More small marsh type setups.

The breeds I am looking at are:

Viszla
GSP
Pudelpointer
WPG
Small Munsterlander
Braque de Bourbanis

My wife thinks Vizsla's and Solid Liver GSP's are good looking dogs. So they probably are ahead in the race a little. I love what I hear about the Pudelointer. There is a very nice WPG breeder down the road from me that I have met with. They seem like great family dogs. I have not met a SM or BdB yet and would like to. But all four of those breeds seem to be worth their weight in gold, and I just dont have that much gold :(

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Amen Big Steve.....it's :lol: as if you were Confucius there for a minute!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:46 am

With the WPG and PP on the list, you need to add the GWP/ DD as well. Any of them will do for you perhaps some with the addition of a neoprene vest in colder weather.

My wife felt the same about solid-coat dogs. Now, she's into patches and ticks. Being open in that area will make things easier for you.

My recommendation is to look for pups from a well-proven litter with the temperament that you want. I like a high energy dog...a lot of people can't take them. A lot of that is an honest evaluation of how much real exercise you can give them. Walking them on a leash is not real exercise. Running them off an ATV or having them pull you on a dog scooter is real exercise.

Speaking of that, time to go exercise a pup.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:22 am

All, do the Pudelpointers shed? I believe I also read that they do well as a versatile hunter.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:26 am

I've seen several and it didn't appear that body type and coat were fixed. Some more wiry and less shedding, some less wiry and more shedding.

BTW, you have a sister to my Shooter. She's nice looking!

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:58 am

Why not just leave her. You don't have to have a baby and you don't have to worry about getting a dog. You win both ways. It's just a joke, just a joke! I have 4 children and 5 shorthairs in the house, and a wife. She actually treats our dogs as well as our kids. It is much easier to clean up after the dogs than the kids. I've always had shorthairs and until they multiplied, minimal amount of hair in the house. That was a big concern for me as I didn't want to go to the office with hairs all over me. I have never had to and still don't have to use those masking tape lint rollers to clean my pants before I go to work. My advice, both lose weight, call it a draw, have a baby and get a dog! :lol: :lol:
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:08 am

Braque de Bourbanis would be an excellent choice very nice dogs with lots of Natural ability, and as far as picking one just bring one home that you like she'll love it no matter what it looks like, I've been married almost 8 yrs and I've only asked 1 time if i could get a dog learned my lesson on that one. IMO the wife/kids (future kids?) should never be involved in picking a bird dog puppy cause no one can ever agree which pup to pick so I'd say find a breed/breeding you like meet the parents pick your pup and bring it home.
JMO

Joe

Thinking

Post by Thinking » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:59 am

You should try and time it right, like others said so that it doesn't interfere with hunting season.

More seriously though the spacing of the baby and a puppy can be somewhat challenging. I got my PP when my youngest was 6 months old and eldest was 2 1/2. It was INSANE to say the least. I'm suprised that my wife didn't shoot either me, the dog or both. If I had to do it over I would do it differently. My wife was under enough strain from the baby and the older one, and throwing an extremely high energy, bold, chew everything in sight, goon the kids at every chance puppy into the mix caused more than a small degree of turmoil at home on occasion. If I did it again, I would either 1) wait until the youngest was eighteen months or 2) get the puppy a year to eighteen months before the baby was born, to get some OB, structure and controls in place before the baby came into the house. A hunting bred puppy has enormous amounts of energy, and as a puppy they don't realize how large or hazardous they can be at times.

Thorina

Post by Thorina » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:58 am

Silly man....you'll NEVER win an argument with a woman!

Get the pup....wait 6 months or so....then start trying for the baby. By all means, practice until then....a LOT of practice :D ....just to make sure you've got it right. :D
(That way you will have a little over a year to train and get the puppy settled down to be in a home with a new baby.)

If she wants a baby....she's going to win. Simple as that. Try to plan the conception so the delivery comes at a good time.
Oh, likely the delivery will come at the worst time...but try to plan for it to happen at the right time, anyway. :D
This will also give her incentive to keep going with the weight loss program....a healthy mom will make for a better litter of humans. Be sure she starts taking Folic Acid as soon as you start to try to conceive.

So, congrats....you *won* the argument/contest.....enjoy your puppy, and a nice duck theme will look great in the baby's room. :D

laxhcky4

Post by laxhcky4 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:48 am

Similar discussion going on in my household right now although I have a 16 month old shorthair right now. I really don't think I will "win" this argument/debate. Seems more realistic to spread out getting another dog for a year or two so they don't grow old at the same time.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:21 am

A working poodle won't shed....just sayin'.

I have an english pointer and a GSP and a Vizsla in the house. They all shed like crazy - less so if they are fed a good food.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:02 pm

Honestly, forget about her happiness. Even when you think you've done good, your still wrong. Since I am only on her poop list on the days that end in Y, I just wake up every morning and say I'm sorry. Nothing in particular, just starting her day off right. In the back of my mind, I know kona has chewed something up and we just haven't found it yet.

We have a boxer and an EP as full time live in's. EP will be making a trasition to the Kennel soon for momma's sanity and my health. I add a little olive oil to there food and it seems to help with the shedding. Not near as much shedding as before.

Joe

penrod

Post by penrod » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:55 pm

I was able to talk my girlfriend into getting a dog because she thought vizsla puppies were cute. A common trait of vizsla's and one of our main reasons for us getting one is because they don't shed much. I wouldn't think they would be that great at duck hunting, but they are awesome pheasant dogs. I like viszla's for pheasant because they are close working dogs and wont spook the pheasant 300 yards in front of me. That said my next dog will probably be a puddlepointer. Like the viszla they are not supposed to shed too much. I guess that comes from the poodle side. I would think the PP might have the advantage in duck hunting as well. Someone else mentioned a DD. Those dogs will hunt anything...awesome dogs. Might come home with the neighborhood cats though. If you can deal with a GSP's shedding, then they are a staple bird dog and can't really go wrong there.

doco

Post by doco » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:15 pm

Man, I must just be a lucky SOB, my GSP's really don't leave that much hair in the house. I've heard about winter coats, summer sheds, I don't see any of it. I went with a GSP because I didn't want a shedding dog. Now I have 5 in the house. We're 10 below in the winter and 90 most of this summer. We don't bath them more than once a month. They are great swimmers and they do go in the pool on their own. Iams mini chunks and no supplements. Just lucky I guess.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:19 pm

Redfishkilla wrote:She got you, unless she was willing to sign a contract (mine hates it when I talk about contracts with her) that states you are allowed to go get snipped should you win the bet, then she will have a baby whenever she well pleases. If you win she wins, if you lose she wins. Just go buy the dog and tell her you'd like to try and time the baby's birth to not screw up your hunting. I have studied this and 99% of girls were put on this earth for two things: planning their wedding and having babies.

Eeek. A chauvinist from long ago rears his ugly head. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:23 pm

ezzy333 wrote:The only way to get a dog that doesn't shed is to make sure the dog is the same color as the rug and furniture.'

Ezzy
+1
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:02 pm

Sharon,

I missed that post by Redfish. Kinda glad I did....but you caught it. I must know only the other 1% of the women since none that I know are or were obsessed with weddings or children. I guess dog/hunting women must be that rare percentage. Most I know are much more interested in important things in life (vs. the wedding).

That post is like saying 99% of the men I know were put on earth for two things, changing the oil in the truck and taking out the trash. Or maybe it's drinking beer and farting.. :) ....

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:49 pm

Shoot a man can drink beer and fart while chainging the oil or taking out the trash! :lol:

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:27 am

Meller wrote:Shoot a man can drink beer and fart while chainging the oil or taking out the trash! :lol:
a multi tasker, now that would be a keeper :lol: ...ruth

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:35 am

RoostersMom wrote:Sharon,

I missed that post by Redfish. Kinda glad I did....but you caught it. I must know only the other 1% of the women since none that I know are or were obsessed with weddings or children. I guess dog/hunting women must be that rare percentage. Most I know are much more interested in important things in life (vs. the wedding).

That post is like saying 99% of the men I know were put on earth for two things, changing the oil in the truck and taking out the trash. Or maybe it's drinking beer and farting.. :) ....
50% of men were born to impregnate those 99% of women without getting to know them... and paying for it for 18 years. I am glad my wife us a 1%er who is in no way looking for kids and is fine with me doing as I please.

(alot of her friends belong in the 99% category.. might be the age difference as they are about 25-27)

doco

Post by doco » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:40 am

GUNDOGS wrote:
Meller wrote:Shoot a man can drink beer and fart while chainging the oil or taking out the trash! :lol:
Heck as the Poster child for ADD, ADHD, OCD, and Ritalin, not only can I do all of those at once, I can actually focus and do each of them singly. It is quite difficult for me, but if I try really hard, I can ignore the distractions :mrgreen: .
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:09 am

doco wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:
Heck as the Poster child for ADD, ADHD, OCD, and Ritalin, not only can I do all of those at once, I can actually focus and do each of them singly. It is quite difficult for me, but if I try really hard, I can ignore the distractions :mrgreen: .
SEE your wife knew you could multi task AND do things individually so she scooped you up :mrgreen: ..my husband on the other hand cant multi task while ignoring distractions so maybe he needs some Ritalin too :D , he was mowing the lawn and i was staining the deck in my bathing suit top and cut offs, he ran over my flowers and blamed me for distracting him :? :lol: .....ruth