Dog Shipping

MikeAZ

Dog Shipping

Post by MikeAZ » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:58 pm

When I was a kid my dad would buy dogs from people out of state. I know that those dogs were shipped somehow but I was too young or disinterested in how that worked. Now I see some dogs that I wouldn't mind having for sale in other states and was curious about what you guys do when you sell out of state, if you do.

Thanks.

Birddog3412

Re: Dog Shipping

Post by Birddog3412 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:31 pm

You can transport by land or air. I use ground transport. Chuck and Heather Fowler, Adventure Bound Gundogs.

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:21 pm

I have bought a few from out of state and had them shipped by air. Never had any problems.
Willie Hunter

gsp3333

Post by gsp3333 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:44 pm

Had my girl shipped from Kansas to California with a ground transporter called Petex2. Cost me $250 Plus a trip to the vet for kennel cough she got on the ride home. Had her here in 2 days.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:49 pm

Adventure bound is pretty good. 425 anywhere west of the rockies and 325 anywhere east of the rockies. Pretty funny, had to help unlock his keys out of his van when he dropped off my pup, he's really nice and gave me twenty bucks for getting it open lol.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:17 pm

Adventure bound brought both pups out to pa from ok. Chuck cut us a dealfor the two and heather was great when they were dropped off. Both pups were well taken care of and showed no signs of stress or cough. That came later.

Joe

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:51 pm

I prefer air, as I still do not want strangers hauling my dog and handling them. Just me...I use Delta or Continental for summer shipping, as they are all air cooled in major airports..Might have to drive them further to ship, but is worth it...I sent 2 dogs to Reno, would have been a minimum of 9 days on land with one of these shippers..Flew Continental and they were there in half a day. For a little under 400. for the both of them. Delta is more.
brenda

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:25 pm

snips wrote:I prefer air, as I still do not want strangers hauling my dog and handling them.
Do you know the people at the airport who are handling your dogs in a crate? Who may or maynot be giving them water? Have you seen how the baggage hadlers throw bags around. Im not trying to knock having your dog flown just dont understand your reasoning.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:29 pm

snips wrote:I prefer air, as I still do not want strangers hauling my dog and handling them. Just me...I use Delta or Continental for summer shipping, as they are all air cooled in major airports..Might have to drive them further to ship, but is worth it...I sent 2 dogs to Reno, would have been a minimum of 9 days on land with one of these shippers..Flew Continental and they were there in half a day. For a little under 400. for the both of them. Delta is more.

So you know everyone handlig pets/baggage at the airlines??? Im not saying the airlines are a bad option, but Chuck is a good guy, and more likely to know one guy vs everyone at that airlines???

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:02 pm

Like I said, a minimum of 9 days (probably would have taken longer) of a dog in a crate gotten in and out numerous times is not what I want. 1/2 a day on a plane seems much easier on the dog. These people are not getting the dog out and snapping a lead on them, just lift the crate in and out..
brenda

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:09 am

I have a ground transporter that picks the pup up at my home and she will deliver to my buyers doorstep for 250 to 350 depending on how far away from NM. I like it and my buyers seem to also. She has her own crates, my buyer and i don't get tied up at the airport waiting.
We had two pups sent to Washington last month for 375. A pup to West Virginia for 350. Three adult labs brought in from Wisconson for 500. Two of them were really big dogs and all three of them we're kept out of the kennels the entire trip. They left wisconson on a thursdsay and were at my doorstep Saturday morning.
My buyers pay cash on delivery and have yet to have a compaint.

quailrunner

Post by quailrunner » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:58 am

I just received 2 pups via Delta from South Carolina to New Mexico. Airlines cost was $242.00, breeder's charge to get pups to airport was $40.00, and I figure that I used about $30.00 in gas to and from airport picking them up. So a total of $312.00. The Airlines charge by weight so a mature dog would run even more.
I haven't shipped any dogs or pups yet, but when I do, I would prefer to ship pups by air, and started or finished dogs by land. It seems to me that you would want minimal contact with the outside world and all it's contagious diseases for the pups that have a weak immune system and are just starting their vaccinations, while the older dogs should be immunized before they are transported.

While I was at the airport waiting for my pups, a guy in the truck next to me was getting his Bulldog pup that he had just received out of the kennel. He took the pup to the grass area across the road that i would guess 95% of all dogs that come through the airport visit before they make the final trip to their new home. I advised him that, that was probably the worse thing he could have done to his pup but he said his 8 week old pup was up to date on all his shots. When his pup comes down with parvo or some other nasty somethin', somethin', do you think he will call the breeder and complain about receiving a huge vet bill, or will he remember the 10 minutes he exposed his pup to the cesspool of disease from all over the country that the little grass area holds?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:06 am

Thats another issue I have...Airlines require a health cert, that dog or pup has to see a vet before shipping. Do land transporters require any prof of shots or health cert? I know they haul pups from puppy mills.....Just sayin...
brenda

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:18 am

Petex2 does require health cert......They will also give a free microchip for those who register on line i was just looking at them ...trying to figure out how to get a pup from Montana here to AZ
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:03 am

We have shipped many dogs via air with Delta and Continental with only one problem. On the last dog I had shipped in for breeding the paperwork got mixed up and she ended up in LA Califorina instead of Atlanta. They got her on a flight back to Houston then to Atlanta and I picked her up around Midnight. On the other hand just a few months ago we were having a pregnant terrier that we bought from Europe shipped to us from Texas with a ground hauler. They allowed the dog to get into a fight with a 160 lb Great Pyernees, then left it in the van overnight where it had a heat stroke. They discovered it the next morning unconcious, took it to the vet where it ended up dying. Needless to say attorneys are now involved.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:38 am

I'm with Brenda on this. While I have entertained the thought of ground shippers, I've heard enough of both good and bad(just the same as with airlines), that to me the minimum number of hands and minimal time from my hands to the new owners afforded by air has given air shipping the edge. I know they will be handled at the terminal where I drop them off and they are usually the last to be loaded onto the plane just before departure; they will be handled once again at any connecting terminal, typically Houston, DFW, Kansas City or Chicago where if they are not taken to the onsite kennel facility w/ Continental, they are moved straight to their connecting flight and they won't be handled again until their arrival at their destination; which will usually be somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-8 hours from the time I dropped them off.
I always pick flights that are direct as possible, with the shortest layover between connections and if shipping when it's still warm/hot weather, I like Continental for their climate controlled holds and onsite Kennel facilities at their connecting hubs. It's kind of funny, but I've actually gotten to know some of the personnel at Continentals hub in Houston, as I will call every time to check the status of the pup when they arrive there. On one flight that had a short layover, they kept the pup in the air conditioned cab of the truck while they waited to load them back onto the connection and when I called, they transferred me to the drivers phone and I could hear the pup playing, growling and yipping as he tusseled with her. Talk about reassurance.

As an aside, in the event the distance to the new owner or a halfway meeting point is less than 8 hours drive, I've also personally delivered the pups for the cost of mileage. That's roughly the same cost as flying for a 1000 mile round trip.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Brenda I am sure the airlines also will haul puppy mill pups.actually there may be more there than with the ground shippers due to the other posts on prices.Regardless an 8 week old pup has only one of a series of 3 immunizations. Therefore a pup does not have full resistance until all three are received. I beleve the pup is also at risk in the.parking lot at the vets, after all that's where the sick dogs go. Sort of like a person getting sick in the waiting room at the doctors office. Just saying.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:31 pm

Lets just say I've heard of alot more complaints about Ground Shipping then I have about air & my guess is alot more pups have shipped by air then ground,so you would figure it should be the other way around. :)

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:24 pm

gotpointers wrote:Brenda I am sure the airlines also will haul puppy mill pups.actually there may be more there than with the ground shippers due to the other posts on prices.Regardless an 8 week old pup has only one of a series of 3 immunizations. Therefore a pup does not have full resistance until all three are received. I beleve the pup is also at risk in the.parking lot at the vets, after all that's where the sick dogs go. Sort of like a person getting sick in the waiting room at the doctors office. Just saying.
I am saying, any dog I ship is required to be seen by a vet beforehand. Heck, my vet even checks stool. They are examined thourally before they get on a plane...It would be very difficult for me to send a sickly pup. And my vet comes out to my car to check my pups for health certificate, so pups never leave my car...I am also concerned about them picking something up at the vets...
brenda

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:21 pm

Snips, I will not disagree at all with you about a dog being flown and being in minimal contact with other, possibly sick dogs. But it is going to very from vet to vet on how good of a once over the dog gets to get a health clearance to fly. I have never had a vet take a stool sample. From what I have seen the vet does a quick once over and gives a rabies shot if needed. The dog is going to have to have something majorly wrong for it to be caught.

Upland Point

Post by Upland Point » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:21 am

I have a lot of family in Chicago, being that I reside in AZ and have access to training grounds a lot of family members will ship their dogs out for fine tuning before season. This past weekend we utilized Continental Airlines. I thought we wouldn't be able to ship her back to Chicago due to the temperatures being over 90 degrees, Continental flew her in air conditioned cargo with no problem within 4 hours she was on the ground in Chicago happy as could be.

Shipping dogs out via Continental

1. Vet certified bill of health within 10 days of travel
2. Large enough plastic kennel to allow dog to stand and turn
3. Drop the dog off 2 hours prior to departure

The GSP we just shipped to Chicago cost $286 including tax. I believe the total weight with the kennel was 62 lbs.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:03 am

Upland Point,
I do agree with you I also air ship and have had only one problem in 40 years, because the breeder shipped the pup when it was way to hot in Texas, to be air shipping animals. This was long ago and I do not believe, because of the new regulations, the same thing could happen today. Ground shippers do get a bad rap, the majority are good people who know their business, however I still air ship or pick & deliver our pups myself. Our latest pup I picked up by meeting the breeder half way in NY state,
the breeder is located in VT.
RGD/Dave