Finally getting a Coop built.

Brittlver

Finally getting a Coop built.

Post by Brittlver » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:28 am

Well I finally decided to pull the trigger on building a coop. Hoping to have everything finished this week. Me and Cory(Cpainter) are in the process of building it now. Here are a few pics as to where we are at.

Dimensions are 48" Wide X 53 1/2" (Back) 63 1/2" (Front) X 48" Deep. Nesting boxes are 24" Wide X 14" Tall X 13" Deep. It will have a tray for easy cleaning and the back wall will also drop down for cleaning. What do you all think?

Jesse

Keith White

Re: Finally getting a Coop built.

Post by Keith White » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:54 am

Looks like its coming along. I know building mine was a pain in the but so I built mine to last as long as possible. You might want to consider using plywood instead. It will hold up much longer over time IMO. Also a little tip when you are cutting out your doors. Cut just where your hinges go first....then go ahead and attach the hinges.....then finish cutting out the rest....when your done the door will open and shut perfectly. Its a lot easier than cutting out a door then trying to hang it back on. Good luck! Let us see it when you are done.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:06 am

I've never build a coop before, but I've built lots of other stuff. So take this with a grain of salt.

It looks good!
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:05 am

Keith White wrote:Looks like its coming along. I know building mine was a pain in the but so I built mine to last as long as possible. You might want to consider using plywood instead. It will hold up much longer over time IMO. Also a little tip when you are cutting out your doors. Cut just where your hinges go first....then go ahead and attach the hinges.....then finish cutting out the rest....when your done the door will open and shut perfectly. Its a lot easier than cutting out a door then trying to hang it back on. Good luck! Let us see it when you are done.

That's a great idea about the door. I will keep that in mind when I do the doors. As for the the plywood, I got some Kilz2 premium, its supposed to go on thick. I plan on putting 3 coats on and then a top coat of paint. So hopefully it will hold up for a while. Once I finally get a house I will prob. build a huge one to replace that will get sided and everything else. Hoping to have it finished by the end of the week. Down to about an hour or so at night before it gets dark on me so can't get a ton done. Will post pics as things come together.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:50 am

I started my loft last night. Following the plans in the HOF post. The loft I have now will work good for shooters but its to small to keep birds in for a length of time.

Good idea on the doors. I'll have to give it a try.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:18 am

Few updated Pics of my coop. Will hopefully finish it this weekend and get some birds in it.